Plamsa vs. LCD

Username: Homeopbiz

Post Number: 1
I'm just about sold on getting a plasma -Panasonic 50" 800u but a co-worker today mentioned be careful because parts for Plasmas are becoming less and less available. Any wisdom here? I've heard Plasmas are the best picture but I want to be able to have it serviced if it needs it....also, is the extra $400 for the 800u worth it for the DBX technology?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4079
These people trying to say plasma is dead are completely full of crap.

Panasonic is building a new plant for manufactering plasmas that is supposed to open this year or early next year. They expect to sell 50% more TVs this year than they did last year.

Manufacterers are required by law to stock parts for 7 years after the product is made.

Whoever is feeding you that crap is another LCD troll, I see them all the time.

The only time LCD is better is if you're in a bright room. In a normal or dark room, plasma is definitely better.

I can't answer the last question.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 592
Plasma Technology is superior to LCD for many reasons. The biggest being the constant back light that is used in LCD. All Tv except LCD flash light in some manner. LCD do not flash and this is what causes your eyes to see blur on an LCD screen even though it may not be a blurred picture your eye sees it this way. When LED comes to all LCD sreeens at an affordable price I believe this technology will then be better than plasma.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/707gear/index.html

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 593
If I where looking for a TV today the Panasonic 50PZ85U is the one I would be using as a reference. There are better sets out there but for the money this is the one to beat.

Username: Homeopbiz

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info!

Yeh, a Circuit City guy (who obviously DOESN'T give a hoot what TV I buy now...) said he'd buy the 50PZ80u if I didn't want the PC connection which I'd never use. He said other than that they are identical. So the 800u doesn't really have anything on the 80u and 85u?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4080
The 58" 800 is THX certified, the 50" 800 has THX mode, the 80 and 85 don't have either.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/Plasma-TVs.list. 75003_11002_7000000000000005702

I have the 720p 80u, it's a nice TV. You can probably get a pretty good deal on an 80 series right now since the 90s should be out within a couple of months or so. The only drawback to that is flat panel TVs are relatively new and each new model brings significant improvements over the previous year, they also sell for less a few months after their release.

Username: Peeps365

yall know alot about a lot of stuff nice i knw where to come yall like a step up version of all fta mediums

Bronze Member
Username: Idrivearocket

Post Number: 78
There is a reason that Pioneer plasma's rank #1 TV year in and year out.... but better buy one soon because they will be gone forever later this year.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
That being said... a great LCD TV (Some samsung and Sony's come to mind) are better than a shitty plasma... (LG, etc)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4085
Actually, according to the new Consumer Reports for 58" and 50" Samsuck got # 1 and Pioneer # 2 in plasma this year. 46" and 42" Panasonic got # 1. Pioneer didn't get # 1 in any size.

I would never touch anythging Samsuck makes no matter what it gets rated, too many reliability issues for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
The only reason a Pioneer Elite panel doesn't win 1st in everything, is because such reviews take price into consideration.

Anyone who looks at an LCD screen and tries to convince themsleves it is better than a Pioneer plasma is kidding themselves. Maybe, just maybe, a pro grade panasonic comes close.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4086
Reviews should take everything into consideration, price included, breakdowns too. There's a point where paying a lot more and getting very little gain just isn't worth it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
I disagree that price shoud be included in a rating. I think a review should analyse the hardware itself and reconfirm what my eyes are seeing.

How can someone else tell me this TV is rated higher because it's cheaper, but by the way, the picture is not as good!?! Is that what a review should do for us? Who can decide if a better image isn't worth more money?

Maybe some people do not agree, but I like to decide what I can spend and I do not request the help of somebody else. I can look for myself and see if it's worth the extra.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 10375
I am sitting on the fence on this one, guys. I to a degree believe that price should be included in the rating, because you have to buy it to have that beautiful picture, and if the tradeoff is too high of a cost then a lesser set with almost the same visuals for lets say $500-1,000 less, then it is definitely worth it.

But at the same time, if one tv looks and performs better than a tv by an inch of a mile then it is a better tv, regardless of the price! so i dunno where to stand on this one. personally, i wanted the best tv money couuld buy at an affordable price, so that factor meant more to me than it might to someone who is willing to spend $3k.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 362
Hey all,

Look for some price reductions on the remaining Pioneer Plasmas available. The restrictions on internet sales have been lifted. Pioneer made more plasmas than they could sell and are clearing out the warehouses so to speak. They are done making plasmas and may in fact be done as a company altogether by August or September unless their financials take a better turn.

Anyway, the LCDs have gotten much better the past few years for sure but I still prefer a Panasonic plasma over all flat screen LCD choices, including LED LCDs.

Samsung has had a pretty dramatic improvement in their plasma lines over the past two years and their reliability issues as a company don't seem to apply to their current plasma line.

The new Panasonic Plasma plant has been delayed due to the credit situation and general downturn as an FYI. That factory will make the new energy efficient panels, which I think are pretty darn cool.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Thanks for the news Marc,

I get the feeling you are fond of the panasonics. Is that primarily because of the price to picture value?

I think their overall picture is great, but the black levels (particularly on the lower end models) is brutal. I think even the samsungs are better in this department. (Can I even call a clear shade of grey a black, because none of the plasmas, other than the pioneers are 'black'? Most good LCD's are more black than most plasma sets)

Of course the upper end panny models are pretty darn good, but you are at the same price as the pioneer on boxing day sale.

Always appreciate your comments...

Platinum Member

FTW, FL

Post Number: 10383
i agree with you on the LCD's looking better. the colors are more vivid and the picture is brighter(which is why they are suited for brighter rooms obviously). but IMO on Plasmas, the picture is clearer, but not as lively...maybe i don't know what to look for. lol

i will say though that Massey says Plasmas are ideal for darker rooms,
but the showrooms...or should i say TV display Walls at Best Buy, HH Gregg, etc. arent exactly the darkest environment to show off the Plasma's excellent picture quality so i could understand why LCD's would have the upper hand in a store...combined with the generally lower price and there is almost no reason t the average consumer to purchase anything but an LCD. lol

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 366
I am not aware of any LCDs that have quite hit plasma level black levels yet. The LED LCDs have a shot technologically; the remainder really cant get decent black levels because...essentially..light bulbs are either on or off.

But if you watch in a room with natural light it won't matter.

The plasma world is quickly moving towards a two horse race, Samsung and Panasonic. There are other brands..like Hitachi for instance...but as far as R and D leaders, its really just the two.

Other than some feature differences, I am not aware of significant differences between any of the Panasonic plasmas from each other.

The superflat energy efficient ones coming out whenever the financial situation allows for it will be a step up, but moreso in energy efficiency and only a tad in brightness/contrast levels.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4091
There's no way anyone can say reliability problems don't exist in a current line of TVs. Problems don't necessarily show up in the first few weeks or even months, that doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm just going from past experience. Companies don't just go from bottom-of-the-barrel to no problems overnight.

The only LCDs that are cheaper than plasmas are generics. Name brand LCDs are considerably higher priced than the same size plasmas. Samsuck 50" plasmas are $800 all over right now, try to get a name brand 50" LCD for that price.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 367
Actually Samsung was able to take advantage of some of Pioneers difficulties that change their panel production for plasmas essentially overnight. In addition, about 2.5 years ago they developed a relationship with Sony as far as R and D advancements and incorporated them in their plasmas over time.

Samsung plasmas aren't bad at all. You really don't hear a lot of complaints about them these days relative to how it was 3 years ago and older, when there were real design and Q/A problems.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4092
Time will tell.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 603
10 years ago I would not touch anything by Samsung but they have made great strides over the last few years.
Muddy where are seeing prices on the same size set lower for LCD than plasma? I don't think so. My opinon on why LCD sell more is because of the typical bright sales floor set up and all the old wives tales about how plasma sets don't last as long, have to be regassed?,and burn in. Plus LCD comes in so many sizes.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 604
As far as cosumer reports when they rate a product very high like a Magnovox Blu-ray player(rated 3)and an Insignia (rated 5) you know it has to do with the price. At least they have the Denons rated 1-2.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4093
Not so much to do with price on that one. Magnavox is Funai garbage, Insignia is at least LG. I'm not much of an LG fan but pretty much anything is better than Funai junk.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10395
well. i am eating humble pie on my comment about Plasma costing more. never really looked. so i just assumed. lol:-)

i went to the store yesterday, however, and saw that plasmas are a LOT cheaper per inch than LCD...didnt it used to be the other way around??? or was i always delusional. lolol

Bronze Member
Username: Jedi1

Post Number: 38
David Massey were right, plasma is dead are completely full of crap. Panasonic offer a very good price for plasma, that's good news. Plasma picture looked good, more natural picture that LCD. I will go for Panasonic Plasma, because is the best Plasma in town.

Bronze Member
Username: Lucky101

HydeabadUnited States

Post Number: 15
My near by shop owner prefer LCD over plasma. But i think i should search more about plasmas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4162
Of course they prefer LCD. They cost more money and have a higher profit margin. It has nothing to do with picture quality.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
The top LCD panels have better image quality than lower end Plasma sets and top Plasma models have better image quality than lower end LCD sets.

You get what you pay for. IMHO, Plasmas have the edge in the mid grade price range You need to blow a lotta doh to get a good LCD.

Username: Pmbb

on top of what everyone else is saying, i would take into consideration the repair costs too. i have a pioneer pdp-506pg that is currently in the repair shop. i've had it for 2 years. the repair place just called saying that it'll cost $589 to repair. it one day turned itself off and now will only turn one for a second then cut itself off. i don't know. i guess if your researching all this before buying minus well look into the cost to repair..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4200
Pioneer TVs have always been infamous for unreliability. Do some homework before buying.

Platinum Member

FL

Post Number: 10814
Massey knows his stuff. No doubt. Also, when buying electronics, like Massey says, always do your HW.

http://www.cnet.com

http://www.consumersearch.com

are just a few websites to get you started on what the highest rated and best prices are for TV sets and any other consumer electronic device you may be seeking. :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12448
even the best current generation LCD and LED-LCD HDTVs don't quite reach the level of the top end Plasmas (pioneer kuro/kuro elite, panasonic, samsung's 8 series) but yeah the gap is narrow these days.
If you want the best black levels, you'll want a plasma, as each pixel has it's own control over brightness, unlike an LCD.

All of that aside, be wary of the current 2009 model Panasonics. I love Panny, but they are embroiled in a class action suit right now over an issue with their plasma HDTVs having unusually fast rising black levels, which Panny claims is a "feature" involving circuit voltage lowering to prolong screen film life.

At present I'm waiting for Samsung to release the new PN58C8000 8-series 58" F3DHD plasma set so I can upgrade my current TV.

shop around, read professional reviews, look at owner complaints, and check forums like here and AVS to see what owners and ISF techs are saying about the sets you like. Those are good starting points for shopping. Don't buy a set based on how it looks in a store on a wall like best buy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us