Professionally calibrate or DIY??

Username: Kingofprussia

Post Number: 1
Hello all, Should I call in the Geek Squad (Best Buy) to get the best settings on my new TV (Samsung LN46A580) or do some of you have some advice to the best settings. My room is fairly dark. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8898
Check as many online sources as possible. I found the ideal settings for my Sammy 650 in a review (forget who the reviewer was). I love the picture and wouldn't pay anyone to improve it as I'm not sure how it can improve.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 10365
sammy 650 eh....would you mind searching your mind for that article...that could come in handy when i receive mine:-)

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 595
Forget the geek squad that is a waste of money. ISF is the way to go if you want it done right but it cost $300-500 not cheap. You can check out ultimateavmag.com and see if the have reviewed any samsungs that are simular to yours. They give all there settings at the end of there articals.
ISF http://www.imagingscience.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Gregoryt

White Plains, New York United States

Post Number: 22
I`ll put it to you this way. You spend say 1500.00 and up for your new flat panel. An investment of another 200-300.00 is not worth it to get the best out of your system?? Yes, I also havesome of those discs, for example:The HD HQV Benchmark disc for both Blu-Ray and HD DV and flat panels. n excellent disc, but they can not do what a trained ISF man can do.
http://www.hometheaterreview.com/av-news/2009-home-theater-news/2009-feature-new s-stories/a_filmmakers_guide_to_why_you_need_to_calibrate_your_hdtv_today002342. php

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10367
hahaha read Rodolfo's post at the bottom of the page. he completely sh1ts on that article in your link. and does so very nicely.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4084
I would NEVER consider letting someone else decide where I want my picture settings. To each his own I guess.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Its not about picture settings, contrast, brightness, color, tint, if that is what you mean. LCDS, PLASMAS, DLPS, Jvc`s IDLA`s, this new technology needs full and total calibration to look its best. The difference is major. Now, like everything else, it might not be for everybody. The discs that are available do a decent job, but I`ve seen what can happen when done to the fullest. Cursing at me is not necessary.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10370
who is cursing at you? i didnt mean to offend you. i just found it funny that the guy was flaming the whole article and had almost more information about not doing it than the article had for doing it. lol thats all. :-)

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2437
­
Rodolfo LaMaestra writes for the e-zine HDTV Magazine.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2008/10/dtv_transition_can_you_help_part_1_ transition_reception_and_help.php

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Mudddy,

Very sorrry, my bad, my bad!! Don`t know what I was thinking. My mind was definitely not in the right place. My apologies.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10374
Don't worry about it Greg, i'm used to people being quick to get their feelings hurt on this forum...everyone is so uptight. but i understand why you might have been offended, so my apologies as well!:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us