Samsung HLS6187WX/XAA Shut Off Problem

Username: Slyker

Post Number: 1
We have a Samsung 61" DLP (HLS6187WX/XAA), about three years old now.

We developed a shutting off problem relatively early on, maybe when it was a year old. We opened the lamp door, vacuumed everything out, and made sure everything was secure, and went for months without a problem.

We also placed a small fan back there to keep things cool.

The problem has returned recently. Again, we blew everything out, secured the latch properly and it went for about a week without incident.

Now, it has started again. The tv shuts off without song, and both red and green LEDs blink together for about 30 seconds or so. Eventually only the red LED remains, or sometimes no LED.

We wait a few minutes turn it back on... and eventually it happens again.

Occasionally I hear a buzzing noise when trying to turn it back on. It sounds a bit like a bug zapper. The green LED flashes, the tv comes on, and then there are no LEDs, or sometimes the green LED remains.

These LEDs seem so inconsistent!

I've heard so many horror stories about technicians charging hundreds just to say hello, and then the problem remains. It's not something I can afford right now.

Someone once told us this model has lost tremendous value and is hardly worth repairing. DLPs are on their way out, while LCD and plasma prevailed. Their advice was to bear it as long as possible and replace the tv when it finally dies.

Username: Nanonano

I have the exact same problem with the same model tv...I have noticed this was posted on february...and i am really curious if you found a soluion...sorry iam not much help, but i would like to know if there is a solution...beacuse iam about to toss it and get a new tv...

thank you...

Username: Slyker

Post Number: 2
We ended up getting a new bulb with casing. We found one online for about $160. It seems to have corrected the problem for the time being. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

Username: Craigdlp50

California

Post Number: 6
Karin & John

I have an HLT5075S, same problem after 14 months.

I've replaced the lamp and the ballast with no results.

I've posted a call on this forum for getting together collectively to put pressure
on Samsung to find a solution. Interested?

Username: Justinbui2002

Hi....I have a HLS6187WX/XAA model. I don't have a shut off issue, but the lamp seen to burn out slowly to a point where I can see anything during the daytime. Just want to know how difficult it is to replace the lamp yourself? Thanks.

Username: Gshane

Lompoc, CA USA

HLN5065W purchased from Best Buy 03/26/04.
Color wheel replaced in Jan of 2008, 2 months before 4 yr extended warrenty expired.

Worked great until now.
It will not turn on (tries to turn on 3 times, with sound and no picture), followed by 3 lights flashing. Re-seating the (original) lamp seemed to fix the problem, for a day. I have not noticed the bulb gettring dimmer over time, but I also did not notice my 11 yr old daughter getting taller. Now it just seems dead (the lamp, not the daughter).

Do I just need a new lamp or is a new ballast necessary as well?

Lompoc, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Update: The TV turned on correctly this monring. Healed itself over night... Still a bad bulb?

Bronze Member
Username: Tvtroublesolution

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 11
Hi, you could be having a weak ballast issue, it might be that the ballast is sending unregulated voltage to the lamp, and is the reason why it shuts itself off, this happend more often when the TV overheats, that is reason why it last longer to show up again after you clear the ventilated area. THAT WAS THE WORST CASE SCENARIO for your TV.
But maybe is something more simple than that, did you already replace the lamp? The lamp have a lifespan, inside of the lamp there is a glass capsule, inside that glass capsule there is mercury gas, and that gas get consumed with the used of the lamp, the normal lifespan of a Philips lamp is around 6000 to 8000 hrs. and other generic lamps last around 1500 to 4000 hrs.
Here is a more detailed explanation I found about how this works. http://www.discount-merchant.com/how-dlp-works-like-magic-a/141.html

Lompoc, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks Robert. I do not know how many hours are on the lamp, but I have never replaced it (in 5 years). I intend to replace the lamp, but I was confused as to why the bulb would not light one day, and seemed to heal ittself and work for weeks at time before failing to turn on at a later date. That does not sound like a worn out lamp to me, nor does it appear to be temperature related in my case, because the TV is refusing to turn on (no heat yet generated) rather than turning off due to overheatnig. I likely have an old lamp AND a week ballast. I will replace both.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us