Hookup question

Username: Greg_m

Post Number: 1
I would like to be able to record DVDs onto VHS tape, but here are my components:

TV with coaxial input only
DVD player
VCR
Dish Network Satellite receiver
RF modulator box

Can this be done with what I have? I would also like to record from TV to VCR. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been tearing out what little hair I have left trying by myself.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12277
typically you cannot record from DVD to VHS due to macrovision copy protection, legally speaking, if the DVD is commercial.

Username: Greg_m

Post Number: 2
Yes, that's true. But the DVDs aren't commercial and I have done it before. But it's been years ago and a different setup than I'm dealing with here.

I guess I'll just keep trying.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4032
Connect the DVD to the VCR with RCA cables and set the VCR to line. You really should connect the sat the same way, PQ will be a lot better, you can connect the sat with coax to the VCR though. You'll have to take the VCR off line and set it to whatever channel the sat outputs on to record from the sat.

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12281
easiest way would be to use an AV receiver that would allow for both video switching, and recording from an alternate source. even the most basic models allow for this nowadays.

If you don't want to spend that money though, then yes, connect the DVD to the VCR IN, then VCR OUT to the TV. DSS receivers usually have a coaxial pass=through you could use between the DVD and VCR as well, if desired, allowing the recording of satellite programming.

so:
DVD -> DSS -> VCR -> TV.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4033
Your last sentence makes no sense. You can't connect a sat between a DVD and VCR. You can connect a DVD to a VCR and a sat to a VCR, you can't connect a DVD to a sat to a VCR.

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12285
depends on what models he's using really. I've seen numerous DSS boxes with pass-through capability. As long as the DSS is off, the signal passes through. When the DSS is on, it shuts off the input for passthrough. I've also owned VCRs with INPUT 1 and 2, which would allow running both the DSS and DVD into the VCR via composite AV. The only problem he might encounter is with macrovision. Again this leads back to using a video source switch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4034
Coax pass through or not, there's no RF output on a DVD player. You CANNOT connect a DVD to a sat RF in, models don't matter.

Platinum Member

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12289
a short trip to radio shack while getting the cables to do all of this will provide you with an RF demodulator.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4035
He already has an RF modulator. A great way to turn 525 lines of DVD resolution into 330 lines and stereo audio to mono. Why in the world would anyone want to do that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4036
And you're backwards on the modulator. A demodulator converts RF to RCA, a modulator converts RCA to RF.

Platinum Member

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12300
read his post again
"I would like to be able to record DVDs onto VHS tape,"

that's why he'd want to run the DVD into the VCR. He's not going to get 525 lines on his VCR recording anyway. Especially not if it isn't S-VHS.

Thank you for catching the typo, I did indeed mean an RF modulator. I was in a rush when I typed it.

And since he hasn't said a word in days on this, I think there's no real point in dragging this out anyway. I think it's just you and I talking now.

adieu

Gold Member

Post Number: 4037
Audio/video quality will still be far better using line inputs. NEVER use RF coax inputs unless there's no other way.

Platinum Member

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12304
I completely agree with you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us