Decent 120 Hz LCD TV under $1300?

Username: Dmehling

Post Number: 3
I am searching diligently for a new LCD TV. I'll be going with either 40 or 42 inch TV, and my budget is no more than $1200 or $1300. I am really thinking about going with Samsung, but I am still open-minded. Because of my price range, 120 Hz TVs are just about out of the question. However, I have found a couple on sale that are under $1300. I'm wondering if 120 Hz makes that much of a difference compared to 60 Hz, and if the lower end 120 Hz models are really much better their 60 Hz brethren. Reading reviews on some of these inexpensive 120 Hz models, most buyers don't think it makes a significant difference for the price. The only kind of programming I really watch is the news and documentaries.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12274
may I ask a few questions as a qualifier here?
why 120Hz?
what are your main viewing genres? movies? sports? TV shows?
why LCD vs say, plasma?

that might help in choosing the right set.

Post Number: 4
Well, I have considered all of your suggestions. My decision now comes down to whether I should get a TV 120 Hz or 60 Hz. If I can get a decent 120 Hz TV for my price range I will go ahead and get it unless it doesn't make much of a difference. I just want to have the best and most up-to-date TV. Like I said earlier, I really only watch news and documentaries. The few movies I might watch would probably not have a lot of the motion that you would see in action movies.

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12276
OK with that in mind, I'd honestly suggest ignoring the 120Hz publicity, and go with the best 60Hz set you can find. Possibly plasma over LCD even for better contrast.
Most people "in the know" suggest disabling the 120Hz feature anyway as it causes artifacts when watching movies and such that shouldn't be there. You'll get a more accurate picture with a better model of non 120Hz set than a lower end 120Hz model.
Also, since you aren't mainly shopping for a TV to watch live sports and similar high speed, often motion blurred sources, the 120Hz wouldn't really be of that much use to you.

just my two cents.

personally, I just went with a plasma set after doing the research on the current generation sets and technologies.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 576
Unless you have a room that is dominated by sun light Plasma beats LCD for picture quality. Panasonic TH-42PX80U $595.00 @ PC RICHARD and the TH50PX80U has been quoted as low as $850.00.If have to have 1080P and I don't see that being the case considering your viewing habits they are also available for a little mre money

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 10286
yeah 120hz is just another "bell and whistle" that isnt really necessary, but cool to see on certain movies and screens.

one of the more important aspects i think for an LCD tv is the response time. they have cut in half since i bought my last tv.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Because of your input I have decided that 120 Hz is unnecessary for me. I've also reconsidered plasma. I am in a quandary about whether to go with LCD or plasma. I checked plasmas, and it's hard to find the right one. I will not be saving any money by going with plasma since I want one that does 1080p (will be using it at a computer monitor frequently). No plasma TV that I have found under 50 inches has that resolution. 50 inches means it will be more expensive. 40 inches with 1080p would be great but I can't seem to find one. I originally said my price would be $1200-$1300, but that was considering 120 Hz. I was willing to spend a little bit more if it made a great difference. I really was thinking in the $1000 range before I became concerned about response time. That's why I am still leaning more towards LCD.

Platinum Member

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12301
Sir, I have your solution.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13342PZ800/Panasonic-TH-42PZ800U.html?search=panaso nic%2bth-42pz800u&tp=161
THAT is YOUR next television :D
highest review marks around, by both pros and end users. Awesome TV, 1080P, THX so no need to adjust colors, just turn on the THX setting and you're set.
I am buying the 58" version of this set myself.

Note, use crutchfield to read specs.
go go google, enter the model number, and click at the top on the link for "shopping" to find the best price, and I bet you'll hit close to what you were about to spend on an LCD anyway.

Let me know what you think.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10288
i would strongly consider LCD if you are planning on using this future set as a partial Computer Screen. unless you have the discipline to break a plasma in(100-200 hours?) you might risk burning images into the screen with all of the static images accompanied with an OS like Windows and such.

although....that TV GW has posted is veddy veddy nice. and i wouldn't having one in my living room. :-)
every tv should come with the THX setting....

Platinum Member

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12305
for what it's worth, you can put on an HD source like direcTV HD, or a bluray DVD on a loop and run it in a mode without any black bars (stretched for DVD, if its a 2.35:1 non anamorphic video) and run it for 5-8 days straight, 24/7
that'll cover your break in period pretty well. That Panny set also has a console/computer mode setting that helps reduce burn-in by adjusting the contrast to compensate for the saturation you'll get from such a source.
Also if you do use it as a monitor and see burn-in, it may not be permanent. Give it a week and see if it's still there. A lot of it these days with a modern set will fade out if it's just a minor amount of it.. Technology in Plasma has come a long way in the past ten years since I saw my first Pioneer plasma set for fifteen grand in an AV store.

Post Number: 6
That is a very nice TV, but alas it is too expensive. At this point I'm really not willing to budge beyond $1100. The comments related to burn in issues with plasma really concern me. How likely is a plasma screen to have burn in issues after breaking it in? This is a huge investment for me and I'm hoping it will last me at least five years. I don't want to run any risk of damaging it. I feel like waiting right now to see if prices will come down. Any idea on when we can expect the next big price drops?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8648
The Samsung 650 series is awesome...you can probably get the 40 inch for just about your budget. I recently picked one up and am absolutely blown away. It replaced the Samsung 550 series in my home, had a couple of Sony LCD RPTV's before that. This one ain't goin' anywhere for awhile.

Platinum Member

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12312
Look at the panny 80U instead of the 800U then
much cheaper, similar display

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10289
yeah. i was going to suggest the 550 series. i just bought the 46" 650 series. gorgeous set.
the 550's are relatively cheap for the size and value. 1080p too w/o 120hz.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8749465&st=ln40a550&lp=1&type=prod uct&cp=1&id=1202649424827

BB has one on sale for $1,099. and i guarantee if you look at one in the store, or any store it will prob be cheaper. i have seen this and every other Samsung unit in store and they all look impressive. so do the Bravia's though, they are a little more expensive though.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10290
BB's links piss me off...they never take you to the product...always to the home page.

i will find it on Crutchfield and link it i guess. lol

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10291
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_305LN40550/Samsung-LN40A550.html?search=ln40a550&tp =161
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us