Archive through December 08, 2008

Username: Louis343

Post Number: 4
FYI the Huge paper weight also known as the Sony Grand Wega KF-60WE610 has another extended warranty on it. http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=KF60WE610&LOC=3
I wouldn't want anyone to miss this one, I know how bad it sucks to miss one like the Optical Block extended warranty...

Cheers!

Post Number: 5
FYI the Huge paper weight also known as the Sony Grand Wega KF-60WE610 has another extended warranty on it. http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=KF60WE610&LOC=3
I wouldn't want anyone to miss this one, I know how bad it sucks to miss one like the Optical Block extended warranty...

Cheers!

Post Number: 6
The extended warranty above for th eSony Grand Wega KF-60WE610 is for the warping of the bulb cover and other areas that are affected due to the heat of the bulb. You should take a look if you have this TV, as I really didn't even notice until I read online...I tried to upload but the images were too large...I will post them on my site if anyone is interested in the seeing them....

www.ihatesonyproducts.com

Username: Bmoney

Bountiful, UT USA

Post Number: 3
As promised here is an update on the KDF-50WE655. I opted for the option to send in my serial number off the back and purchase a new KDL52W4100 for $843.

I sent in the serial number and tracked it so I would know when it arrived. It was delivered to Sony on the 24th. I had no response from them by the 28th so I sent an inquiry about it, they responded that they did have it and are processing and that I should have the details on the new TV in the next week. I am waiting paitently for that message. I am hoping to have this all resolved and the new TV before Thanksgiving. I will keep you all posted on what happens next.

Bronze Member
Username: Travis_l

TX

Post Number: 12
I wanted to provide an update. My TV was delivered on Tuesday (Oct 28) and the delivery guys help set it up and everything. I have to say, it has a VERY nice picture although we aren't used to the Motion Enhancement technology yet. It's a very strange feeling watching action scenes when everything stays in focus. My wife actually said it makes her feel very nauseus.

Overall, I'm happy with my decision. From the time I mailed my sticker on Oct 17 until I received my TV on Oct 28, I had to wait less than 11 days. I'm impressed.

One other thing...when Sony sent me a mail stating I would receive the tracking information within 7 days, they actually shipped the TV that day. The local delivery office called me on Monday to set up delivery for the following day. Tuesday is when I received the tracking e-mail from Sony. :-)

Username: Mikedan

Just a question, I changed my bulb today, 4 days before warranty expires...to see if a new bulb suddenly causes a problem (w/in warranty time!). It's been 5 minutes, so far so good! It is brighter. (old one hadn't gone, yet) I noticed the old one has a filmy/cloudy area extending about 3/4 inch in from the bottom (or top?) edge of the bulb. It looks the film you get when your windshield needs cleaning inside. Is this a sign that it was about ready to go? They sent me the "genuine" replacement. Hopefully it won't cause the blob anytime soon! KDF55xs955

Silver Member
Username: Edenney

Post Number: 146
Cindy,

The film you see is little different than what you'd see on a lightbulb that had been in a lamp for a few years. It's normal and is simply a sign of age and use, which doesn't necessarily mean that the lamp was about to go, only that it's definitely not new. Lamp life is based on use not age, so the only way to know if it's close to the end is to check the hidden menu on the TV, or to approximate your usage and the length of time you've owned the TV. Pretty safe bet though that most people don't get more than 4 years out of a bulb based on normal usage, and the average is around 3 years. A lamp could conceivably last several years though if the TV were only used a few hours a day on average.

Also, whether the bulb is new or old won't make any noticeable difference as to when the blob will start to appear. It happens after roughly 8000-9000 hours of use give or take. That's also about how long the bulbs are supposed to last, although that's purely coincidental.

Username: Hitchhiker

New user here, greetings.
Read thru this thread and the one for my particular set which is an Hitachi 50V500 (5 years old) with the same issues you are having over here with the Light Engine (optical block). To make a long story short, I disected my LE tonight to get to the LCDs and they have Sony written all over them (which is why I'm here). I would like to rebuild my own OB but need a source for the LCDs only, and here are the part numbers printed on them:
Sony (red LCD)
LCX043ANB7
330274P
RR
Sony (green LCD)
LCX043APB8
326P43P
GL
Sony (blue LCD)
LCX043ANB6
329365P
BR

Username: Junecore

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I have a KP65WV600. Manu.dated Dec 2002.
I am getting a picture where all the colors are not aligned. And when there is not input to the TV, TV displays belts of blue lines.

What could be the problem here? I have attached pictures, to help present my problem. I do not have any type of warranty coverage on this anymore.

Is there any way to recover from this with least amount of cost or get any help from SONY to fix this.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Krishna

Problem with stretched image.
Upload

Problem with color aligning properly to form proper picture. ( and see blue lines )
Upload

Username: Bmoney

Bountiful, UT USA

As promised here is the update, I recieved my replacement sony on Monday, we have it set up and have been watching it all week it is a very nice set, and we are very happy with it. The delivery was as promised and they came in and set it in place where I asked them to, powered it up etc. and took away the garbage. We have moved the old set to the basement for now it is still blue on the left side but watchable, so we are just hooking a DVD player up to it in the basement and letting it sit.

I was not planning on putting $843 into a new TV but it worked out it the end for us. We are very happy with the new set.

I will probably pick up the optical block later and fix the old one this spring.

The entire transaction was good. I was actually pleased with Sony, the delivery time, and the new TV.

Adam Cole

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Kudos Adam, seems everybody has had a good experience with their exchange including myself. If and when you replace your OB let us know how that goes for you.

Username: Brian2003

Ahh.. Welcome to the club I guess. Another Sony KDF-50WE655 with the blue blob issue. Noticed it about 2 months ago. I new I was in trouble when I Googled "blue spots on my... and it came up as a search automatically for me. Contacted Sony and went with the 52W option. Its been less than 2 weeks in all from when I contacted Sony and my TV is due to be hear within the hour. I have been very happy so far with how Sony has handled the situation. Looking forward to the extra HDMI inputs and 2 inch bigger screen!

Username: Graytl

Hi, first of all let me thank you for this great thread it has provided me with all the information I needed, this is my story:
Last Friday I noticed the "finger prints" in my KDF-50WE655, I hadn't seem them before so at first I thought they were stains on the screen so I tried to clean them but soon I realized that something was wrong with the TV.

I started to look on the web to find out what was going on, and found this thread.
I bought this TV in November 2004 and never have had any problems with it, I haven't even replaced the lamp.

I followed your advice and called Sony customer service right away, I was surprised when just mentioning the "pink finger prints" prompted the representative to tell me it was a problem with the OB, and immediately gave me the 3 options we all know about.

I chose to send in my serial number and purchase a new KDL52W4100 for $843.

Just a question, I would like to sell my old TV, but I don't really know how much to ask for it, I also have a spare Sony lamp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
John,

You can probably sell the TV as-is for around $300, though it won't necessarily be easy. Option 2 is to purchase a refurbished OB for around $350 and change it out yourself (also not fun, but doable with help from instructions and pics on Steve's website). With a new OB and spare lamp you'll have a brand new TV that will serve you well for another 3-4 years based on your prior usage.

Option 3 is to replace the OB which will make it like new again, and then sell it, which will be much easier to do in that condition and will yield a price of perhaps $600-700 or so. The lamp itself you might want to keep or sell with the TV depending on which option you choose, but you can also easily sell it online by itself. Not sure what they're going for new, I think around $175, so you can probably sell it for around $125-$150 if it's new in the box.

To be honest, based on how much you use the TV and how hard it is to get rid of these, the most cost effective thing to do is keep it and refurbish it yourself, assuming you've got some place you can use it in your house. Just know that it WILL fail again after roughly 8000 hours on the OB, perhaps even less on a refurbished OB. That's about 1 year of 24/7 usage, 2 years at 12 hours a day, 3 years at 8 hours a day, etc..

Username: Graytl

Post Number: 2
Eric,

Thank you for your response, after telling a friend about my TV he offered to buy it for 400. Just 4 years ago I bought it for 2300, I don't really have the space to keep it, and I don't want to invest any more money in it, knowing that it will eventually fail again, I'm just going to get rid of it. Hopefully the new one is not going to have any problems in the future.

Username: Holeinone75

Hi everyone, I own the KDF-55E2000 and I started to notice a brownish/orange tint in the top right of my screen. This soon spread across the entire top 4" of my screen followed by a blueish tint surfacing from the bottom. I began the process of contacting Sony c.s. and was referred to the services of Q-serve. Q-serve charged me $99 to look at the t.v. and quickly chalked it up to the optical blk. My tv although not perfect(like looking through a windshield with the tint on the top)was still high def. After replacing the optical block my previous problem,(haze on top), went away only to be replaced by a jarring unfocussed shadowy look to it especially bad when close-ups of peoples faces. Q-serve replaced the o-blk once again, same result. Q-serve thought it might be the B-block, replaced that no change. Q-serve called me the next day and said that Sony would contact me to make an offer or exchange. Sony finally contacted me a couple of days later and told me to look for a comparable modle on sonystyles.com. I am thinking of going with the KDL-52W4100,but don't know at what cost to me yet. I have spent $350 in labor cost and my tv is worse than when they started, LOW DEF! Have not seen any post on my model allthough symptoms match, love to hear from anyone who has same model to see what offer Sony made! Thanks in advance, my email is mrusa75@gmail.com

Username: Wd8nvr

Streetsboro, Oh US

Casey, I have a FDF46E2000 with the same 4" band across the top. Like you, it is not too bad for viewing, and my TV is not on the list of 'bad OBs'. But I need to do something before it get worse. I heard from one other person with a similar problem as well but his was not a 46", so it may have been the same as yours. Good luck with the 'new' set.

Ok well I got my offer from Sony special considerations department, I CAN GET A REPLACEMENT SONY FOR THE LOW, LOW PRICE OF $1500.00 BEFORE TAX AND SHIPPING!!!!! On a tv that is 3" smaller. I am fit to be tied. Has anyone had luck with the review comittee, appeal or otherwise?

Username: Mom2bab

Hi Everyone,

We own KDF-46E2000, same problem as Casey and Bruce. 3" Brown/Pink (depending on Background Picture) band across top of screen, AND 1" Blueish band at bottom of screen. I thought it was the lamp cuz the light was blinking. We watched our little 13 inch tv for a week waiting for replacement lamp to be sent. And then it didn't fix the problem. Called Sony and got authorized repair Number to call. I am glad I found this site, with lots of information on these problems. Hopefully I can get this fixed. Purchased 10/06, so a little over 2 years old.

Here is a beautiful picUpload

Hey Donna, that is def the optical blk. looks just like my t.v. did before q-serve tried to fix it. Document all of your encounters with your t.v. repair co. and hope for the best. Hope everything works out for you.

Thanks Casey. So far I have called both service numbers I got from Sony, and got answering Systems...I Will Keep Trying!

Username: Jciarlette

I have the KDF-60SX955 exhibiting the same problems as described above. Sony offered KDL52v4100 for $703 and the KDL52W4100 for $843. After reading this article I am thinking of going with the KDL52W4100. My question is, Is the optical block problem isolated only to Sony brands or do other RPT's manufactured by others have the same or similar issue? I always tell friends and family to go with a RPT because of price, but knowing about this OB problem now, I regret telling people about the RPT.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
John,

Not only do some other brands use similar Optical blocks, some of them actually use Sony optical blocks, identical in design to the crappy OBs they use in all of the Sony RPTVs. I have heard that some other TVs suffer from the same problem that those of us here have suffered (the blobs), however just because other TVs are using the same Sony OBs, doesn't necessarily mean they will fail, or fail as often.

The most common failure is caused by prolonged exposure of the LCDs to excessive heat from the lamp and inadequate cooling in/around the OB. It's possible that the use of different lamps, different placement of the lamps, different fans, etc. etc. could alleviate the problem that the Sony TVs suffer from, or cause it not to fail as quickly. On the other hand it's possible that other designs could cause it to fail even sooner, though I think we would have heard about it if that were the case.

Username: Douglasb

Given the recent success of others with WE models, I am trying another appeal to SONY on my OB problem prior to pursuing small claims court. In the meantime, decided to replace the OB through Tri-State Module ($329 net). FYI, they don't have any repaired blocks in stock and I would have to remove mine, send it, and wait for return. Internet search for a new one indicates best price is $668 from SONY or $701 (http://www.nexttronics.com/catalog/sony/A/A1606008A.htm if not giving SONY any more money), but not prepared to go that high. Will wait for SONY response.

Post Number: 9
Took the time to dismantle my light engine and it appears all I really need is the red light filter located between the red LCD and the optical block (prism). Unable to locate a filter only as everyone seems to turn theirs in as a "core" so none are just laying around. Anyway, the manufacturer will give me a free light engine if an authorized installer does the install. The best rate for the R&R I can find is $175 labor which took me only 1 hour to perform numerous times. I don't feel I should have to pay even this. Has anyone found a better labor rate? Some servicemen claim all sorts of electrical adjustments are needed after a LE replacement. Sounds suspect to me as the LE is a self contained unit.

Post Number: 10
Pic of my "red bloom".Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
RC,

I've had my OB replaced multiple times, no adjustments of any sort were necessary after replacing the OB. If they do it wrong there could be alignment issues which would require them to go back in and fix the way they installed it, but that has nothing to do with any "electrical adjustments". That's never happened with any of my OB changes though.

FYI it typically takes them no more than 30 minutes start to finish to change out the OB. They always send two people because most of the time they have to move the TV to work on it, but once the TV is exposed it's easily a one man job and in no way should ever take more than an hour. No place is going to charge you less than a one hour minimum for labor though, possibly even a two hour minimum, so don't be surprised if that's what they charge. $175 is actually very reasonable compared to what most Sony authorized service centers charge for replacing the OB.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Eric,
Actually this rate was from a Sony service center. Since I have the LE and OB out I showed them the problem. Trouble is, they want me to put the entire set back together again before they start to work on it just to tear it all down again. Seems like a waste when I actually should be getting a labor credit! Would sure like to know what "flat rate" Hitachi pays a service center when Hitachi covers the labor bill, but this Sony center wouldn't tell me. I told them I didn't care if it was $2000 as long as I wasn't paying for it. LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
I understand your point of view thinking that you've done half the job for them already, but I see theirs as well. They have a process they follow and they don't know what state the TV is in at this point, and whether you've done things properly or have possibly made things worse by removing parts that didn't need to be removed, potentially even losing parts etc. etc..

Remember that sometimes they're sending someone out that's never even done this repair before (at least in the field), who might only have a set of instructions and a replacement OB. That can be daunting enough the first time, but to have to deal with a TV that's been torn apart by someone that doesn't have the same procedure, it just makes the job more difficult from their perspective.

Best thing you can do at this point is not tell anyone that you've removed the OB or they'll make you put it back together as you've already discovered. You're very likely not going to get any "credit" for the work you've done already, but you might be able to save the trouble of reassembling it yourself if they don't find out you've removed the OB until they show up to do the repair. Of course it's too late with the service you've already contacted, you'd have to try another repair center if there is more than one in your area.

I know the whole situation sucks...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Since I've got more time than money, before I pay anyone I'm still going to see if the red filter media is available. This 1 square inch of plastic isn't rocket science, obviously, as it didn't hold up and was assembled in some third world country anyway.

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Scott482

Post Number: 16
I have a goood red lcd,what is the part number on your defective red?if they are the same I will send you mine.

Username: Brendonkapinos

Hi everyone-

I'm new to the forum, and recently came across a KDF-42WE655 for very cheap ($75) on the classifieds at work and scooped it up, hoping to fix it and have a cheap, extra HD set. The unit had typical optical block issues; blue haze, fuzziness, and "starring" in the center of the screen. I wanted a bit of a project so I dove right in, extracting the optical block and giving it a thorough cleaning to remove dust as described on Steve Splinke's and Peter Patience's site. I believe I found the source of the blue haze in the case of this sony rptv. The blue LCD panel in this case is closest to the lamp, with the associated orange color filter adjacent to it. I noticed that the color filter appeared oxidized towards the middle of the surface, most likely a result of the extreme heat coming from the nearby lamp. I believe that this disintegration of the orange coating would allow MORE blue light into the prism, resulting in a bluer picture. Unfortunately, the filter does not have an associated part number. In fact, according to the service manual, no discrete components of the optical block can be ordered. The block must be ordered in its entirety.

I disassembled nearly the entire block, and turned the set back on after the re-install of the block and found that the fuzziness had disappeared, leaving just the star pattern and blue haze. Unfortunately for me, I did not realize the importance of NOT EXTRACTING THE LCD PANELS FROM THE PRISM ASSEMBLY, and suffered picture misalignment before I accidentally shorted out another component upon the 60th re-assembly to try to fix this problem (set turns on, but now only a white, blank screen is displayed).

If there's a way to somehow replace or re-coat that orange filter, I believe the blue haze should disappear. We now have solutions to the haze and the fuzziness. I think the star pattern is a circuit failure however. I may send my block to TSM, but don't want to put too much money in this project. I can post pictures if my disassembly if anyone would like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Brenden,
Can you remove the laminated portion of the blue filter with an Exacto knife? I'm curious if your filter is the same as mine. In my case I just need this red filter media but it has no color to it when viewed by the naked eye. Also, when I removed my optical cube and LCDs I had no problem with alignment on reassembly as I didn't disturb anything else. Anything that looked like it had an adjustment sealant on the screw heads I left alone.

Username: Brendonkapinos

RC-

It's good that you didnt remove any of the LCD panels! I removed mine off the prism cube to clean dust off them with some kimwipes, (were just held onto metal brackets by simple screws) and when I remounted them, my alignment was off. Anyways to answer your question, the filter unit I have looks different than yours. Mine is simply a black plastic bracket with an orange filter glued on.

Username: Jwelborn

I've been reviewing this forum for the last 3 days and it offers a huge amount of info. I bought a KDFE42A10 from Circuit City on 07/30/2006 for $1497.99. It has worked like a charm until last Friday when it began showing horizontal blocks across the screen (just like the picture from the 11/10/2007 post). From my research, it looks like the B-Block. Because I live 80 miles from the nearest Sony Authorized Repair place, I gave them a call today and received an estimate of $ 435 for the B-Block and $325 for the repair cost ($760 total estimate!!!). I'm kicking myself for not getting an extended warranty and since it's over the 2 year mark, nothing can be done regarding credit card warranty. Throughout my research, I know my model is not on the extended warranty list for even the Optical Block, which would probably go bad soon too.
Right now, I'm gathering info to put into a letter to Howard Stringer the CEO of Sony and will use the guidelines from the 06/17/08 post by David Wikerson.
At this point, I have NOT had the problem officially diagnosed, it would cost $92, BUT I'm almost certain it's the B-Block.
There seems to be pros on this forum that could assist me (ie Eric Denney). Knowing what you know and knowing my model isn't in the extended warranty category, what chances do you think I have in getting anything out of sony?

I've tried to upload a picture, but the error message said it was too big. If anyone would like to see the problem, email me at jwelborn1973@yahoo.com

Username: Markraphael

Post Number: 10
Jason,
I have the KDF-E50A10 that was diagnosed with a bad b-block. My problem was vertical colored lines across the screen. I got pretty much the same quote for the part and labor. I also took my case to ERC and ,as "goodwill", they offered to cover 50% off the cost of the part. It means I still have to fork out around $500 to have a two year old tv fixed. Needless to say, my tv is still gathering dust in a corner. If you have read the posts here the optical block is almost sure to go next so fixing the tv out of pocket might not be a very good idea. i hope you get a better response from Sony ERC. Keep us posted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
Jason,

As you've noted from reading this discussion board, your OB isn't long for this world regardless of whether you get your B Block repaired or not. Depending on how much you use your TV it could happen at any time now, and could have happened before now if you used your TV extensively. Since your model isn't covered under the OB warranty which soon expires, and since you don't have an extended warranty (lesson learned there like so many of us), I wouldn't spend any money at all on the B Block knowing that the OB is going to fail at any time.

The B Block defect is fairly well documented and is the second most common failure with these TVs, I wouldn't consider it to be a total fluke of a problem. Given that there are a number of other documented cases of that failure here on this message board, and given that the OB is guaranteed to fail at around 8000 hours give or take, as has also been documented on this board, I suggest you explain both of those things to the ERC in a letter, citing the other cases on this website, and stating that you want a trade in credit for your expensive brand-name TV toward something RELIABLE.

Sony has recently taken the position of not even really asking any questions about what's wrong with your RP TV... if you have a major problem with it and are willing to pay some $$ out of pocket toward a new LCD, they'll credit you a substantial amount toward the new TV. How much depends on which model you have and which model you select. Definitely get the 120 HZ "W" series TV, which will cost you slightly more than the "V" series but is more than worth the minimal extra cost.

Also, although it's hard to justify coughing up even more money, be SURE to request the extended warranty, at least 3 years and preferably 5 if you can afford it. The cost is actually negligible especially for 3 years or less, and even 5 years isn't much. I preach this over and over for everybody that has suffered problems with their RP TV and has traded it in, but I fear that most of them aren't requesting the extended warranty and may will find themselves in a similar boat in a few years. They won't offer it to you unless you request it, so keep that in mind.

Anyway, that's the best suggestion I can make short of taking them to small claims, which nobody has bothered to do yet. It's a winning case, particularly with the OB problem, but most people are intimidated by the mere thought of court, even though small claims is easier than almost any project, paper, or test you wrote or took back in school lol.

Write that letter to the ERC and CC Sir Howard Stringer CEO, then let us know what happens. They're pretty responsive so you shouldn't have to wait long, and in fact you might even be contacted proactively since Sony actively monitors this message board. Good luck and let us know what happens whatever you do.

Eric, thanks for the information. It was very helpful. I'm gonna continue to read and re-read theses posts and begin drafting a letter this weekend. This forum has provided me with a wealth of info and ammo for my arguement. I hope it doesn't come down to small claims court, but my job as a probation officer has provided me vast experience in the Court room and court process and since the court fees aren't expensive I plan to take that route if I'm not satisfied with Sony's response. It really pisses my off that I spent $1500 for a TV I thought I would enjoy for at least 10 years (like my old Tube Tv's). I will keep this forum posted. If others have any input I can use, please let me know. Thanks

Username: Zeekee

Good Morning Eric,

I want to thank you for the information, I spoke with Sony again, and they said that to let them know if the TV is fixable, and if the Tech. says that the TV can't be fixed or if it will take awhile to order the part, they would then think about replacing the TV. But we all know that they can fix it, but will it last, NO.

I'm going to take your advice and file a small claim suit against them. Do you know if someone from Sony would show up, I would think that they would want to settle this without going to court.

I thought I read that your TV was replaced for free, I'm sorry that you had to pay more. Don't you feel that we all should be compensated for our lost of money and time and troubles. I have spent hours on figuring out what to do next, and hours with Sony and also with them on getting the TV serviced. They don't even have all my service tags. In the beginning they only had showed 2 tags when I had 5. Now they have found more, just can't believe this. This is worse then buying a lemon car, at least with a lemon car you can sell the parts. Who would want to buy parts of off my TV.

Well, today I going to call the Tech. so see what the progress is on the TV, and I'm going to the website that you gave me Nolo.com, I just want to thank you again for taking the time out and helping me and others. I hope that we can help others with this mess.

I'll keep in touch to let you know how this turns out!

Have a great day, and I'm sorry to hear of your accident leaving you disabled, I'm going to have a Spinal Cord Stimulator implant put in December. I hope that this will help with my pain and my mobility to have strength again in my limbs. Very nervous but also excited. That is why I wanted to get this crap with the TV out of the way before I have the surgery.

Well, best of luck to all of us, and my your day be blessed.

Thanks Eric,

Username: Janet_and_steve

Just an update on our ongoing optical block issue with our 2004 / KF60WE610. After writing the letters, talking with Sony and refusing to take their "generous" offer of paying out another $2000.00 for another one of their tv's, we did file a complaint with the BBB on 10/23/08. We have not received a response from them or Sony regarding the complaint. In the meantime our tv is getting to where we have a hard time telling what color people are or what the color of clothes they are wearing are due to all the blue in the screen. This morning we contacted the repair company that came out in September to give us a repair estimate and are proceeding with them ordering and installing a new optical block. As much as we hate to fork out the money to do so, we feel like at this point we have no other choice. The optical block cost was $812.81 with tax and an additional charge of $150.00 to install it when it comes in. We will have paid a total of $1062.81 to repair this tv, something that Sony should have warranted. With the cost of the tv of $3600.00 in 2004 and now this repair cost, we definitely feel like we have been screwed by Sony. That averages out to a little over a thousand dollars a year for the "privilege" of owing one of their products. We are contemplating small claims court when the repair is completed. Has anyone had any success with small claims court? This will definitely be the last sony product we own that we will ever repair. Sony is a company that we will never recommend anyone to purchase anything from.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Janet,

Sorry to hear about your situation, unfortunately it's such a common one. To date nobody here has actually taken their case to small claims, although there are a few people that have said they're going to go that route after not receiving a satisfactory offer from Sony. This case is a winner all day long, given the plethora of information about the defect and the vast number of people that have complained. It's just a matter of getting over the fear associated with court and following through.

Small claims is very informal and nothing like appearing in superior court. The cases take 5-10 minutes typically, you state your case to the judge (half the time not even a judge but rather a lawyer serving as a Judge Pro Temp for the day), provide whatever documentation you have to prove how much you paid, that this is a chronic, long-standing defecting in ALL of the Optical Blocks Sony used in their RP TVs for several years, and why Sony is responsible. Then whoever Sony sends states why they aren't responsible (good luck with that one).

For people that are trying to get their TV replaced entirely, the judge may pro-rate their TV based on a typical life-span expectation and how long they've owned it, or they may credit the full amount. I think all of us, judge included, would expect to get at least a good 10 years out of a big screen TV that costs thousands of dollars.... heaven knows the good ol' CRT TVs easily lasted that long. So they should expect to get around 75-80% of the value of their TV if not 100%. In your case though, assuming you go through with the OB replacement, you'll be seeking full compensation for the repair and parts. That could actually be a little more difficult than getting reimbursed for the TV entirely and giving it back to Sony, but you'd likely still get compensated for it. It's doubtful though that they'd do it a second time, which is sure to happen of course if you don't get rid of the TV one way or another.

I suggest visiting a site called Nolo.com, you'll find everything you need there to prepare you for appearing in small claims. You might need or want to buy one of their books on the subject. Of course there's a chance you could lose, but I'd put the odds of winning at 80-90% if you prepare properly and present your case well. Worst case scenario you're out the filing fee (around $35 depending on your state) and a little of your time. Very likely though Sony won't let it come to that.

Username: Sjupin

Just thought i would add in yet another E42A10 complaint. Same blue haze/blobs as the older models. I have called Sony support and logged a formal complaint with them and i am in the process of writing a letter to the ERC. And as of today they still do not admit to this set having the issue.

Username: Tenshun

I have the KDF-E50A10 with the same problem of course. I am curious to know why there has been no lawsuit as of yet? I contacted the law firm that won the last settlement:
http://esupport.sony.com/sxrdsettlement
That was almost 2 weeks ago and they have yet to respond. This case will be a piece of cake for any trial lawyer.
Hell, im pretty sure that my 2 year old can work up a case on this and come out victorious. Does anyone have the contact info for the ERC or any higher ups at sony? I am planning quite a lengthy letter and power point for them.

Username: R8r_mike

Hemet, CA USA

I just talked to Sony today and they offered me the same offers as everyone else, obviously I am probably going with the KDL-52W4100 for $843. I told them that I was interested in the KDL-52XBR6 model. They said that if I have the original receipt I can fax it in with my reference number to another department and they will give me an offer on the XBR model. Has anyone else done this and what was the price that they gave them? I am at work so I will fax it when I get home and update once they give me a price.

R8R Which model tv do you have now? and A10?

Hemet, CA USA

I have the KDF-50WE655 which I loved until I began to have the pink spots.

Yeah. I loved my A10 til everything turned blue.

@R8R MIke
Did you write them? Or call customer service?

I called them but am writing them as well. I'm not sure what i will get from them as mine is an A10 and they do not even admit these models have an issue. We will see.

Bronze Member
Username: Markraphael

Post Number: 11
More and more A10 owners are experiencing problems with their sets, I hope Sony will finally extend the warranty on the optical block. I own a A10 with a bad B-Block ,which is another common problem, but I don't plan to fix my set unless Sony admits that the optical blocks on these are faulty. It's ridiculous that Sony extended the warranty on the more expensive XBR sets but refuses to admit the problem on the A10.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
For better or for worse I think we were nearly all happy with our TVs before they spewed blue chunks (sometimes pink or green) all over the screen. Really sad that one defective part has ruined all of these otherwise good TVs. Amazing that Sony not only never corrected the problem when they knew about it at least 3-4 years ago, but that they can't even resolve it now by modifying the optical block. Personally if they could have solved the problem with the OB I would have been perfectly content to keep my TV and use it for many years, and I suspect the same is true for almost everybody else.

Username: Janet_and_steve

Update on our KF60WE610 optical block issue. We went ahead and had a repairman install a new optical block this morning at our expense. We had forgotten what it was like to see true color on the tv it had been so long. Hopefully we will be able to get 3-4 years out of this one. We are contemplating small claims court after the 1st of the year now that we have a true out of pocket dollar amount. We just think it is deplorable the way Sony has handled the optical block issue by picking and choosing which tv's they would repair. Obviously they know they put a defective part in all of their rear projection tv's. We will continue to update our progress as we attempt to get our money back from this repair.
This is a great blog and it has been so helpful to us. Knowing that we are not alone with this problem has given us strength.
Thanks,
Janet

Janet:

Don't give up on the letter writing. See my last post of Nov 15. I have been writing and calling SONY since July on my OB issue with a KF50WE610. Last week they finally agreed to replace it free (and last night the tech showed up and made the repair). The rationale provided was that they finally recognized my failure was only a bit over the extended warranty and deserved to be included. It might be harder for them to cut a check for the repair, but it won't cost much to send the request.

Username: Dgriffi2

Hi. New to the forum but wanted to share my story. I had heard about this problem but hadn't really pressed the issue, but after reading all of your comments, I contacted SONY (again) about my KDF-42WE655-- I have the blue / green / purplish blobs.

I was eventually referred to a "Mr. Gill" in the "Special Consideration Program." Bottom line: I can get it repaired free of charge, or get a 46" LCD 1080p KDL 46V4100 for $429. I checked Best Buy and they have it on sale for about $1700. (They offered two other models as well, one cheaper & smaller (42") for $300 and a Bravia for $573-- being the holidays and this is an unexpected expense, I think we're going middle of the road). Seems like a no-brainer. We'll keep the old TV and put it in our bedroom.

I do have to mail in the Serial # tag, and the ink rubs off VERY EASILY as you peel it so be careful! Now the darned #'s are barely decipherable, so hopefully they aren't too fussy! (I luckily wrote the number down before trying to peel it.) I'll let you all know how this turns out!

I sent my first letter today and will be sending another one to the ceo on friday after thanksgiving. I will post my results as well.. My KDF-E50A10 makes everything look yellowish orange. And my corners are blue. I noticed the change after I replaced my bulb for the first time. I wonder if that was the catalyst?

Username: Alessandro

Jacksonville, FL Usa

Wow, great information on this forum. I own a KDF55xs955 and love it. just started with the blue spot and I have never changed the bulb. I also got the offer for the 52" W for 843. I asked about the xbr they wanted to see the bill before they would quote. the xbr 6. They are asking 1350 plus tax.... Anybody else go this route? is the 500 extra worth it?

Username: Mcjean

Boy am I ever glad I found this site. I have the KFE-50A10 and after just replacing the lamp (purchased TV in Apr/06)to the tune of $335.00, we now have the "blue blob". I am so choked about this and very annoyed with SONY. Have contacted them and need to send them proof of purchase and a repair estimate, but wonder if anyone can give me an idea of what a fair resolution I can expect from Sony. I do not want to spend money repairing this obvious lemon of a tv, and would like to hear what anyone may have to say.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Wayne,

Changing the bulb won't in any way cause or accelerate the blob problem, but the bulbs dim somewhat over time, so changing the bulb will yield a brighter picture which will magnify the problem. If it's very noticeable right after changing the bulb, then the problem existed before, you just didn't notice it yet. Also, as I've mentioned several times here, the bulbs have almost the same average lifespan as the optical blocks, so it's no surprise at all that they both failed about the same time.

Username: Lisamcgu

My husband found this site and referred me to it after reading all the threads. Being the tech guy in the family, he understood the problems and issues at hand and explained them to me in layperson's terms.

I have a KDF60XBR950 that has been used lightly and is now showing a blue blob at the bottom of the screen. I called Sony today and got the first round brush off.

This left me upset with Sony. Among other things, how can Sony say my tv, which has a mfg date of June, 2004 stamped right there on the back of the tv, is no longer eligible for one of their limited extended warranties because it is a tv manufactured in 2003? That is not an reasonable explanation - it is clear bad faith.

My tv is less than 4 years old and cost thousands and they think they can brush us off. I have now done my time on this thread as well and am particularly interested in those ready to go to Small Claims Court.

I used to be in the legal field and also see it as no big deal and not a problem winning in Court especially considering Sony already admitted responsibility when they offered the warranty previously.

It is very soon after the June 2008 deadline for the extended warranty which affects my tv, and the tvs of many others, so I don't think anyone, what with going back and forth trying to negotiate with Sony, has had a chance to go to Court yet, but there will be more of us as time goes on who are affected adversely by Sony in this way so someone needs to go to Court and get the ball rolling.

To show good faith I will write to Sony to give them a chance to give me a reasonable offer for my trouble, but really I think writing to them will only serve the purpose of documenting my good faith, compared to their continued bad faith - the attitude that they don't have to take responsibility for their acknowledged design flaws which unreasonably shorten the life of their tvs.

Thank you for all those who posted and helped to figure out the best solution to this problem.

Username: Pinch27

Well, another frustrated SONY rear projection LCD TV owner here. I purchased my TV (KF-60WE610)on black Friday in 2003. So, that makes my TV 5 years old. About a week or so ago, I turn the TV on and there's a greenish "X" in the middle of the screen. Over the past week, the "X" has slowly disappeared, but the problem has got worse down the left hand side. (see pics) It's the "road mapping/etch-a-sketch" problem that i've seen mentioned. I contacted SONY and they basically said that my TV is passed the extended warranty and wouldn't do anything but gave me phone numbers of the local SONY techs. I'm going to be writing letters to the ERC and the CEO. It's ridiculous that a TV of this expense is only going to last 5 years??? It wouldn't be that big of a deal if it was a $100 fix, but from what i'm reading it's waaaaay more than that.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
Yep, that's definitely the etch-a-sketch problem. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Write the letters, make it clear you know Sony is aware of this DEFECT, and that it's unacceptable they're abandoning their customers, leaving them with a 100lb., $2-$3K paperweight. The best you have to hope for is an exchange credit toward one of the newer LCDs, and I'd say your odds of getting that offer are high. But if you don't get a reasonable offer from them, my suggestion is to take it to small claims. There's a plethora of documentation on this site about that problem, it's a winner in small claims all day long.

Username: Ttx

My 3-year old KDF E50A10 TV set has the dreaded vertical color lines.
I spent a lot of money to buy Sony reliability and have been really disappointed that it only lasted 3 years.

I called Sony support line and they told me to call the repair shop for diagnostics.
Since it was the Thanksgiving holiday, the shop just took my information and promised to call me back.
I sent the picture below to the technician but I've heard from him yet.

In the mean time, does the community have any tips/suggestions for me on what to do next ?
Thank you very much.

}Upload

Update-- just mailed my serial # tag to SONY for my KDF-42WE655. Took a week to get the email from them (had it wrong in their system twice!). I opted for the 46" LCD Bravia for $429 + tax. Free delivery to our house (interestingly the woman today said free delivery ended today @ 9 a.m. but because I had initiated the process last week she'd include me). I'll let you all know how this ends!

Username: Rickhaye

Hi, new to the forum here. I have a KDF-60XS955 that just started showing blue blobs/haze on the lower right hand side. From reading here, my TV ( optical block ) should be covered until the end of this year. I'm leaning towards just getting credited towards a new LCD TV. My question is, 1: what number do I call? 2: Do they require a visit from a local Sony repair shop? 3: If offered the TV credit, do they require payment first? Sorry for the numerous questions, I just don't want to mess this up. Having bought this TV on March '06 and to see it mess up within a couple of years is just disappointing for a SONY product. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

After I faxed the original receipt of my KDF-50WE655 to Sony they gave me a worthless offer of $2,400 on the KDL-52XBR6 model. So I opted for the KDL-52W4100 for $908. I mailed the Serial number in last week and have not got the confirmation that they received it and the tracking number. I will update when I get it. I am now looking for a stand for my new Sony. Anyone have pics of theirs? I like the look of the swinging/floating stands.

Username: Jciarlette

This is for Rick. I too have a KDF-60xs955 and SONY asked me a few questions over the phone and then transferred me to the Special Consideration Offer department where they told me my two options of a KDL52v4100 for $703 or KDL52W4100 for $843. They gave me instructions of what to do like removing the serial number and sending it in to an address they provided. Good luck. I am still waiting for confirmation that they received my serial #. I sent it over a week ago. When I called them on Monday they said they are backed up and I should try on Wednesday.

Username: Fechmupbud

Milton, DE US

Hi everyone, I've come across this helpful site while researching what to do about an optic block failure in our KDF 50we655. I was on the phone with Sony last night as you have all been through. I made the cut to the "SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS" department where the lady quickly offered me three models:

KDL 46z4100 - $1042
KDL 52v4100 - $1168
KDL 52w4100 - $1308

I was wondering if Sony had made any improvements to the optic block, but it looks as though having them fix it would be putting off the problem for another 8000 hours, at which point I'll be facing the same dilemma all over again -- only I'll have to buy a new unit without any help from Sony. Am I correct in my synopsis?

Now, what gets under my skin is that two other posters on this thread (who had larger tv's -- 55" and 60") were offered the same 52" models for SUBSTANTIALLY less money. Why would I want the KDL 52w4100 for $1308 when they're offering it to others for $843??? I realize that my wife and I bought a smaller, 50" tv initially, but I feel a little insulted.

Would someone pls. give a new guy a little advice? Should we indeed go with the new unit -- and are the KDL 4100's experiencing any heart breaking issues to date? Is it worth stepping up to XBR and trying to get them to help with that?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Kev

Hi Kev,

How old is your TV?

Milton, DE US

Jean -

It was manufactured in 11/04 and purchased in 5/05 (NEW).

Kev

Username: Alyal

I have the KDF55wf655. Called them last week about the blue dot problem. They called me back today with this offer:
KDL52W4100 $1093 +$215 s/h +sales tax
KDL52v4100 $953 +$215 s/h +sales tax

After reading this sight today I called back to get the w4100 for $843 with no s/h. They told me that is not what they can offer now. That they get told by "someone" what they can offer day to day. I asked how has that changed my situation and the price of the tv? Of course, I got the same response.

Does anyone have any tips to get the $843 w/ no s/h? I will take that offer since it is $400 less than what they told me today....Thanks

Milton, DE US

What's with all the inconsistent answers with this company? It seems like this entire issue has been nothing but "Luck of the Draw" customer service.

If I decide on the new tv, I'm going to tell them that we want the 52w4100 for $843 and I'll be satisified, or they can add this 31 year old consumer to the list of "Never Buying a Sony Again."

Maybe I'll let them waste their time and fix my piece of junk (which I am really disappointed over) and then I'll give Sharp my money on the next purchase I'm forced to make in three years.

Need Tylenol.

I have noticed that everyone who has recieved the special consideration offer from sony, has the following TV's: KDF-42WE655
KDF-55WF655
KDF-60SX955
All of these are included in the class action settlement: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=206&mdl=KDF42WE655
http://esupport.sony.com/sxrdsettlement
You guys should have very little problems when dealing with sony on this issue.

Has anyone with the KDF-E50A10 or any other A10 models, had any results as of yet? I have written 2 letters to the ERC and the CEO with no responses yet. I have also been round and round with customer support and they remain apathetic.

Also, we need to collectively and actively seek a class action settlement from phony err, sony.

Reading that they have raised the prices on their "special consideration" sets is very disheartening. And somewhat appalling. The nerve of these pompous jerks.

I own the 3-year old KDF-E50A10 that needs a new B board assembly now and maybe a new Optical block in the not-to-distant future.

I just sent my appeal to the Sony Executive Review Committee asking them the review my case and am waiting for their reply.

I bet that when you called the 1-800 numbers, you were told that they could not help you because your set was out of warranty and that was their policy.
So let's assume there's some policy that drives how Sony reject or allow a complaint to get credit toward repair or getting a new TV.

But then I read these posts here and saw that some people were given more credits toward a new set, some were give less credit and some no credit.

I want to figure out if there's a pattern that correlate to how Sony dishes their compensation.

Maybe Sony's answer depends on the model number (affected or not affected by the class action suit), purchase price, the purchase date or the length of use or the cost of repair or all of the above

I know the KDF-E42A10/E50A10 are not included in the class action suit.

So is it true that if your TV set is involved in the class action suit, Sony would extend the better deal of $843 for 52W4100, while the others would get a bad deal of KDL52W4100 $1093 +$215 s/h +sales tax ?

Thanks

@Ttx
As Alan states, he too has a model 655 and was given the $1300 offer. Up until this point, everyone else with a 655 has been offered the w4100 for $843.

Wayne Ten,

Since Alan was given the bad deal, I want to consider other factors:
The biggest ones probably are
- Purchase date.
If the set is old enough, the residual value will be low, therefore low/no credit will be extended.
Of course most of these sets are only 3 or 4 years so the owners would be very upset if Sony thinks their TV is worthless.
- Repair cost to fix current problem.
- Any prior repair under warranty.

Given that these big-ticket items are so fragile, maybe Sony/Samsung etc should have a standard 5-year warranty, like Hyundai's 100K miles warranty on power-train.

I have the KFE 50A10 and it's just over two years old. I also JUST put in a new lamp in a tv that does not have a lot of watch hours. When I contacted SONY, I was told to send in the estimate to repair,and the original purchase receipt. I was led to believe that they consider the age of the TV and the repair/purchase cost. I am still waiting for the "offer" and I will not settle for anything that I don't think is fair. This is a travesty to say the least and having just sunk money into a new lamp,which burnt out way to soon IMO) I will NOT be happy until we reach a fair offer.

Just an update to my situation, contacted Sony regarding my kdf-60xs955 and was told it was optical block and I was given this offer.

KDL52V4100 for $953 plus tax
KDL52W4100 for $1093 plus tax
In addition to the price above, there is a shipping cost of $215 for all orders.

I'm kinda bummed out because it is way more than I expected since I was reading that verybody was being offered the $843 with free s/h. Has anybody gotten a better offer recently?

Rick,
Same offer here. I think there are members (TTX, and Wayne Ten) who are pooling data to find some sort of correlation between models listed on the class action suit and those not, tv age, purchase date, and how that data effects sony offers.

Do you know when your tv was manufactured?

It may very well be that they had a company policy to raise the exchange offer prices in anticipation of folks inundating them with last minute claims just before the Dec 31 deadline. Is there anyone who was given the higher priced offer in the month of November?

To make their offer even less interesting, I was researching these models on Crutchfield.com only to find that the 52w4100 has been reduced from $2699 to $2099 with free shipping. I'm appreciative of the price break, but it's not quite enough to make my decision an easy one.

I'm liking the 52" XBR7!!!

Kevin,

My TV was manufactured August 2005, I was just looking at the sony store and the pricing for the TV's mentioned has gone down.

KDL-52V4100 $2199 ( $2299 )
KDL-52W4100 $2499 ( $2799 )

I don't get it the prices went down so they offer a higher price then no more free shipping? This really sucks, I was only planning on spending give or take $950 for the TV, now I'm looking at close to $1400. I wonder if I go smaller like a 46 perhaps if the offer is a little better. But going from a 60" to 46" is going to make me cry. Has anyone had TV offers recently for a 46" and what were they? Thanks, in advance...

Rick-- I have a KDF-42WE655 for which I sent the serial tag to SONY on Tuesday. I am (hopefully) to receive the KDL46V4100 for $429 + tax (no shipping costs). I was told Tuesday the free shipping deal ended that day @ 9 am, but b/c I had initiated the process Nov. 26 I was being included in the deal. I'll post back if / when I have the new TV in my house!

Rick, Dan,

I went to the sonystyle website and pretended to order a new TV set.
Guess what I saw in RED:
"Our sweet gift to you: Free ground shipping on all orders"
AND
"No interest financing for 36 months on all TVs".

So for Sony tell Rick that he should pay shipping, that's adding insult to injury.
And by the way, Rick, you should ask Sony for the deal of 0% interest for 36-month too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
You guys with these new offers are really getting screwed, and I highly recommend that you do not take them in most cases, particularly Rick with his 60" SXRD. They're not even taking into account anything about the original cost or size of your TV at this point.

At best they're purely going off the manufacture date of your TV (not when you bought it, and certainly now how much you paid for it), and they have a rate card with a couple different prices for people that have TVs manufactured before 2004, and those afterward. Those before 2004 were almost all getting worthless offers the last few months while everybody else was getting the $843 offer for the 52" W series TV, and the slightly lower offer for the V series, regardless of what you paid, what size your TV was, or which model it was. That number was not altogether unreasonable for most people, although not really fair for those that had expensive 60" TVs, especially owners of the newer A10 series TVs, but the new numbers are just atrocious, and apparently without free shipping!

For most people they'd be better off selling their TV for $200-$300 as-is and buying one from an inexpensive site like B&H Photo or Crutchfield. B&H usually has the better pricing, both have free shipping if you want it, and at least with B&H you pay no taxes unless you live in NY, not sure about Crutchfield. Crutchfield is hands down the best place to go to research a new TV btw, they have by far the largest array of pictures anywhere for nearly every TV they sell. Most other sites only have 1 or 2 pictures.

My advice, as it's been all along, is if you don't get a reasonable offer from Sony, then take it to small claims court. Once you remove that serial number and send it in, and sign the paperwork, you've given up all rights to partake in any class action lawsuit much less file your own case in small claims, so you're completely screwed if there's some sort of settlement for all the other owners in the future. It says so right on the paperwork you sign. Needless to say it's very likely there will be class action suits at some point on all the models that aren't part of the current class action.

Has anyone just opted to get their TV fixed instead of purchasing a new LCD TV and how did it go? Because I don't think I can come up with the cash for a 52" specially with all the expenses this Christmas unless they can offer me a better price for a smaller TV (46"),thanks.

Eric, I totally agree. Sony's offer as of now should not be acceptable to anyone. Basically a $600 discount off a new tv for being screwed by buying my $2600 from them in the first place. That is not an offer but them trying remove as many people as they can from any future lawsuit.

Rick, if I were you and were going to settle and have it repaired, then I would turn around and sell it. Because you will obviously face the same problem down the road.

I am awaiting a call back from a supervisor to try and get the $834 deal with no S/H...I will keep you posted.

Alan, I am going to be making the same call today - $834 for the 52w and no shipping.

Has anyone seen the 52w4100? Are there any major drawbacks to it that should make me think about pushing my budget to move up to an XBR6, XBR7?

I am still considering getting mine fixed. Part of me is hoping that cooridinating a tech to repair and paying for it may be the biggest pain in the rear option for them. I'll also let them know that I plan on NOT buying a Sony when this one goes bad again in three years.

Rick:

My optical block issue was with a KF50WE610 purchased in January 2004. It took me 4 months and several letters and phone calls to get an offer of free repair or a KDL-52W4100 for $1,999. I opted for the repair as the cost effective option and they had a tech out within a week who replaced the optical block in about 2.5 hours. Picture is excellent. Cost to me to do it would have been almost $1,200.

If the call from the supervisor doesn't work I think I will go towards the head of Customer Service. Obviously the number we have been given to call is dealing with nothing more than getting people to accept this crummy offer. I think talking to someone that gives a rip about losing a lifelong Sony customer over a $400 discount will make a difference.

This should be a no brainer for anyone in retail/wholesale business. They will not lose any money but have the chance to keep me as a customer....we'll see.

Username: Lisamcgu

For my compadres who have what Sony considers a 2003 (even if it has a 2004 mfg date) 60 inch grand wega xbr, sorry it has taken me so long to update.

I finally found my receipt, so I am ready to write my good faith letter to Sony. My set, which was selling for around $6,000 at the time, I was able to get for $4,600 plus tax and dlvry. It brought the cost to just about $5,000. Except for lamp replacement, I was not expecting any more monetary output for this tv which I reasonably expected to last 10 yrs.

If Sony's past reactions are any indication, they will not respond favorably or in reciprocal good faith to my letter and I will get a lawsuit started asap. Time is of the essence as I can feel those class action attys circling.

I have been involved in so many class action lawsuits lately (financial holdings and cars), and it sucks. Almost always, the winners are the attys, while the claimants usually get barely a trickle of what they are out.

It is my opinion that Sony owes beyond what they have been offering for all the upset and trouble they have caused their customers. I don't want to see them get off just paying a million or so to some law firm and barely a blip to its customers and they are done paying out and have set a new standard for what is considered the life of a tv.

It is not their place to say what is the reasonable expected life of a tv. This is a standard set by other companies, entities and means. And to try and change that expected life, making a win win out of their flawed, defective tvs ... and then to expect customers to buy new tvs from them every 3-4 yrs instead of every 10 ... and thinking it will work by giving a few, at the beginning, a discount until a little class action payout takes care of the rest ... too much.

They are supposed to respond within 24 hrs to my letter, so I will keep everyone updated. I really appreciate the help of all the posters on this board.

Kevin Beam,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with sony. I have the same model TV as you have (KDF-50WE655) and bought it in Feb. of 2005. Luckily I was able to get the offer for the KDL-52W4100 for $843 + tax and free shipping.

I asked for the price of the XBR-6 model and after faxing my original receipt they gave me an offer of $2,400 since it was not part of the program. (Waste of my time!)

If they will not give you the same offer on the 52W I would make them fix your WE655 and buy a Samsung 650!

Have a Circuit City around you closing? They are offering 40-75% off everything! Got a killer deal on a KEF KHT3005 5.1 speaker set for $241. The speakers retail for around $1,500.

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/kef-kht3005-black/4505-7868_7-3 1901891.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Username: Redpathtribe

Bill,

Thanks so much for your posting on your dealings with Sony. Also, a big thanks to Eric and Steve for their vital information over the life of this thread.

I have the same TV as yours, KF50WE610, and am on the second round of letters/phone calls with Sony. Today I got offered (second round offer) a KDL52W4100 for $1500 + $215 shipping + tax. I told them that was not acceptable and I wanted either my TV fixed (parts and labor paid by Sony) as you got done, or a KDL52W4100 for $843. They said neither was an option from them.

Can you tell me if there was anyone you spoke to specifically at Sony and how you got them to repair your KF50WE610. While not ideal long term, it would be the most immediate cost effective solution for me as well. Or, do I just need to continue the letter writing/phone call campaign.

Last resort, but I will do it, is small claims. Thanks Bill for any additional information you can give me on your specific situation.

Rick

Just to update...I got the callback from the supervisor and got very close to what I was wanting. Instead of $843 I got $893 w/ no extra charge for s/h. However, hear is the not so good part for some; I got the deal because I called them on November 30 and the prices changed on Dec. 1 or 2. That is why she said they were giving me that price.

I even asked about "everyone else" that didn't call until the price change and she said they couldn't get the same deal that I was offered. So, if you initiated the first call anywhere before the price change Dec. 1 or 2 then you should be able to get the W4100 for $893 w/ no s/h charge. Call them and make this your argument and nothing else. Then, tell them you want a callback from a supervisor. The supervisor will review it all before calling you; the date you first called and the fact that you are saying you should get it at the price of that day.

To everyone else that called after Dec. 1 or 2, I had already resolved not to settle for anything less and suggest you don't. There will be class action lawsuits, you can go to small claims court or you can go ahead and get it repaired and then turn around and sell it. The last option will certainly get you more than the $600 or less discount that they are offering now. If I find out anymore I will post.

P.S. Don't give up! ask for the supervisor's supervisor, ask for the head of customer service, don't accept less than what everyone else got just 5 days ago. And I am not even saying that is a great deal.

Alan,

Thanks for the update. I called them on Dec 3 so I guess there's no chance for me to get the earlier price of $893 with no s/h. I guess I'll just make Sony fix it rather than go with the ridiculous amount they want now. Thanks to all that helped, I'll wait a little longer to call them back. I still have until the 14th to decide. I guess I won't be buying a SONY product from now on...

Post Number: 7
For anyone haveing problems with the KF-60WE610 or similar models; go to: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=KF60WE610&LOC=3 and read the Limited Extended Wwarranty for 2003 and 2004 TV's Exhibiting Warping of the the Lamp Access Door: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?&news_id=261&mdl=KF60WE610. If you see you have that problem then there is your loophole. Sony does not have the replacement parts for honor this warranty extentsion. I was able to get a GREAT offer from Sony on the KDL-52w4100, being they could not honor their own warranty. I'm not able to say what deal i got for the TV, however I can say that it was GREAT and i haven't seen a better deal yet on it. Try this, if they dont do better, try small claims or at least threaten it....they'll come around eventually, as long as you have this issue....worked for me

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
As I mentioned the other day, the new pricing Sony has started offering to upgrade to an LCD is simply unacceptable in most cases. They're not considering at all what you paid for your TV, or even the size of your TV, which dramatically affects cost of course. They simply have a rate card associated with each model year. Your best bet at this point is small claims unfortunately.

Another comment... It's been my experience in participating in this forum over the last couple years and dealing with the scores of owners that have contacted Sony's ERC, that Sony almost never revises or improves their first offer of compensation. As I said, they've developed over the last several months a rate card of sorts to deal with this growing issue, and that's what they stick to. There's always the exception to the rule, and a few people have slipped through the cracks, but as a rule you get one good shot at an offer unless you take legal action.

Hey, be thankful, a year ago they typically wouldn't acknowledge the problem at all, and they weren't offering any upgrades whatsoever, only hit and miss reductions in parts and sometimes labor to fix your TV (one time only). It was only through the efforts and persistence of a lot of people, primarily from the existence of this board, that Sony finally started acknowledging this problem and treating it with any degree of consistency.

BTW, well said Lisa. You are correct that the plaintiffs in a class action only get the crumbs, and the lawyers eat the cake. It's sad but it's true. Best course of action with these TVs is small claims because of the numbers involved (less than $5K in most cases, which is the limit for small claims in many states). I'm anxiously awaiting the first person to take this case to small claims so they can post their results/experience here on this forum, and provide some inspiration to those that aren't getting satisfaction.

One last thing, as Sony has apparently adjusted their pricing as of the 1st... the pricing should at the very least extend to anybody that has CONTACTED Sony's ERC before the 1st, not just those that called them by phone. If you wrote a letter to the ERC (before the 1st), as we have urged time and again on this forum, then use that argument to try and get the offers they were extending before the 1st. They really should have stuck with that offer, it was almost keeping this issue off the radar for a while... but the new offers are all but worthless so once again they've got a lot of very angry owners (most of them loyal customers) on their hands.

Username: Rustywood

well i got the same problem took the deal, here's what happen. as i tried to peel of serial number sticker,no go.the ink on the sticker faded!got a hair dryer and a exacto knife to surgically remove it.it came off in three pices! you cant read anything except some of the model number and a couple of numbers from the serial number.i hope im not screwed.i already gave them that information. anyway the purpose of mailing in the sticker was to keep someone else from doing the offer again. those dang things were not ment to come off!

Username: Rwhitfie

Rats... my timing stinks... 1st saw the problem about a week ago when their prices went up... got the same quotes as most with Tax and $215 s/h... Considering the economy and offers from retailers, the Sony deal is not so good.

Username: Rustywood

they did not charge me shipping.215 for shipping?!! that's ridiculous!

I took the deal. Not happy about it, but tucked my tail between my legs and took it... I asked the customer service rep to look at the situation from my perspective; if you knew someone else got the same tv for $450 less, wouldn't you want the same treatment? I thought I was going to have to check for his pulse. I also noted that the Sony esupport web page stated that they will pay the cost of the repair, and since the repair runs anywhere from $1200 to $2000, the $700 break I was getting on a new tv (that I shouldn't have to buy) wasn't that great of a deal and didn't represent the cost of the repair. After silence, he stated they'd be happy to fix my tv. I should've had them do it, then bought a Samsung in three years.

This is NOT how I would treat my customers. I want my customers HAPPY, not on the margin, looking for anything comparable or better.

I've got a lot of tv's in my future Sony, I'll be looking for any reason to buy anything else.

Incidentally, the rep made a special effort to tell me that they understand that the serial number does not come off easily, will probably rip, and to just put it back together the best I can. After seeing Mr. Russell Wood's post above, I'm wondering if this forum is on their radar?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us