Weird HDMI issue at 720p

Username: Liquid_drummer

Louisville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone,

I have a Samsung "kirk" model hlp-5085w native 720p set with an HDMI issue.

My ps3, xbox 360 and Motorola HD cable box gets major picture distortion in 720 despite the fact that this is native. The picture is shifted far to the right with part of the right side of the image showing up on the left side where the space if left from the picture shifting. The picture is unstable and shaky but this happens only in 720p.

It is almost as if the timings being sent to the set are wrong.

However, when I used an hdmi to dvi adapter and tried all my components one at a time over dvi everthing works fine in 720p.

The really weird part is that the hdmi input works with every component I have IF I set it to output 1080i however I dont want to use this setting for obvious reasons (scaling sucks)..

I have tried different hdmi cables and get the same result. Everything works fine when I use the hdmi to dvi at 720p. Any idea as to what this could be ? I would say bad hdmi port but since 1080i and 480p works I am baffled.

Thanks

Louisville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 2
Anyone ? PLease?

Silver Member
Username: Tvshopper

Post Number: 205
This is just a guess but maybe a starting point for you. Could it be a versioning issue with HDMI? The Kirk model is about three years old, correct? If so, that HDMI version might be incompatible with the cable box. It is possible that if that is the case, Samsung can update the HDMI through a firmware update.

Louisville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 3
Well its not only the cable box. Ps3, Xbox360, PC and cable all fail on 720p over hdmi and show distortion. They all work at 1080i which is not this sets native res..

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
I think it is a versioning issue. Look at the following post in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Somehow the resolutions are messed up because the items (ps, xbox, pc and cable) all have a newer version of HDMI.

Louisville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 4
A user over at avsforum.com has the same set and no issues with any devices. Looks like a service call...

Thanks for the link all the same.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Hope it works out for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us