60" Philips

Username: Mxoldtimer

Post Number: 1
The color is horrible mostly yellow. A friend told me to clean the lens on the projectors. They were covered with dust. Cleaned and the color is still yellow.

I looked into the projectors and only one is clear inside, the blue and green look to have a fog inside almost like there's a layer of dirt inside. What's up with that? Do they need to be replaced or are they able to be fixed/cleaned?

Username: Mxoldtimer

Post Number: 2
WooooooooooooHoooooooooooooo!

Thanks to this site I just saved $'s.

I called a repair shop and asked to have a repairman sent out since I didn't want to pack the 60 inch'r to their place. Was quoted $95.00 for the service call.
Talked to the guy a bit and explained what the TV was doing, not clear in the shadows and everything was basically yellow.
He said it sounded like the cooling fluids and if so would run 4-$500.00 to be repaired.
That night we went shopping and saw a 50" plasma on sale for $998.00 and almost bought it.

I told the wife I wanted to try repairing the TV myself. She said WHAT! I explained to her why put 4-$500 in ours when we could buy new for $998.00, also if I screwed ours up trying to repair it ooooooooh well we just buy the new one anyway.

So the next day I called the repairman back and canceled him, he was almost a week out anyway.

With the PDF print out I found on here by the way THANK YOU, TO THE PERSON THAT TOOK THE TIME TO DO THAT, I ordered three bottles from MCM and tore into the TV.
The PDF print out wasn't close to my TV but was a great tool to use for working my way through the job.
What a mess, the lenses were covered with a film, like yellow algae and yes the old fluid was the color of dark Lemonade.

$30.00 later and we have a brand new TV!

What a difference the colors are so bright and the picture so clear it's almost odd. We'd watched it so long we just got use to the dulling/yellowing of the picture.

Once again Thanks to this site and to the person that took the time to write up "Changing Projection TV Coolant" and another great part of all this, my wife was SUPER amazed I did the repair and is telling everyone. (big smile on my face)

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us