JVC XV-511 DVD Player Not Reading Disc

Bronze Member
Username: Hondafanatic17

Thompsontown, PA USA

Post Number: 27
Hi I have a 1999 JVC XV-511 DVD Player and I've had it in storage for a while now and I have decided to get it out and when I pluged it into my home theater system it the disc reading screen came on and everything so I know it turns on but sadly it does not want to read the disc it will try to read them and then after about ten seconds it will eject the disc. I have cleaned the laser but it still doesn't work. I really like the DVD Player and I would really like to fix it so if any one could sorta help me figure out what I need to do to fix it that would be a big help. Thanks
Tim

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3901
Cleaned how? Opening the player and using a q-tip wet with alcohol on the lens and spindle is a lot better than a lens cleaning disc.

Bronze Member

Thompsontown, PA USA

Post Number: 28
That is what I did but it still won't work. Do you think I might need to replace the laser? Is that possible?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3902
With something that old if you could even find the laser assembly it would probably cost as much as a new player.

If you don't mind a slightly used player, go to cowboom.com and register, you'll get $10 off your first auction, good through the 31st. They are a division of Dealtree, I've bought more than a few things from them on ebay. Good company to deal with. I just scored a DVD recorder from cowboom for $20 after the $10 off a week ago.

Bronze Member

Thompsontown, PA USA

Post Number: 29
Hey thanks for the website, and the cleaning tips, I usually use eBay.com but that site was pretty nice. But I think I'm gonna get this nice Toshiba I seen at BestBuy for 70 bucks. Don't want to go over board because I know that my JVC was pretty spendy when we bought I think it was like 200 bucks new back in '99.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3907
The DVD recorder I got from cowboom was an upconvert Toshiba for $20.
Can't beat the price but recorders don't make the best players, they just don't last as long.

Username: Dropkick

Post Number: 1
You need to reset the dvd player.
I have the same player and I've had periodic problems just like you write about, almost since the day I bought it new. (Took it in to get it fixed the first time, while it was on warranty and was told JVC wouldn't let the CERTIFIED repair place fix it... made me mad)
However I found instructions online on how to reset it's software and that fixes it (until it does it again).

I would give you the instructions on how to do this, but unfortunately I moved, didn't use the dvd player for quite awhile after, and lost my copy of the directions. --I found this site while searching for the directions again.

You hold buttons down while unplugging the player and then plugging it back in then push other buttons while reading the display....I wish I could remember how it went.

Sorry I can't be more help, but at least you know what to look for online now.

Username: Dropkick

Post Number: 2
Found it.

Unplug unit, hold the open/close and play button down while replacing the plug. Test JC3 will appear in the display. Release the buttons and press the 3D Phonic button and 9600 should appear in small numbers under the Test JC3. Turn the power off and back on.

You may have to repeat this to get it to work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us