Connecting Toshiba HD-A1 DVD Player To Yamaha 6140

Username: Ronsweet2

Post Number: 9
I went out and bought all the cables I think I will need. But I see now that my AD1 has only ONE HDMI port, which is currently plugged into my HDTV. In my manual, it shows an alternative connection if the HDMI port on the DVD player is occupied:

1) First, it says use the green/red/blue "component" cables for the "video out" from the AD1 to "component video input" on the receiver.
2) Second, it says use the red/white/yellow cables for audio/video out
3) Third, use a "coaxial" connection (which is an orange port on the back of the receiver).

I am pretty sure that all of these ports are available on my AD1. My questions are:

A) Should I keep the AD1's HDMI port plugged into the HD TV and use the component ports as described above? From what I understand, the HDMI port on the AD1 is better served going to the TV?

B) I am not sure what kind of cable needs to be used for the "coaxial" connection. I thought it was a "coax cable" (round cable with needle in the middle) but that's not it. Nor does it appear to be one of the component cables. What is needed for the "coaxial" connection (assuming it is required)?

C) I have a special component cable that I actually bought by accident: "component video plus stereo audio" which is the red/green/blue component cables along with a pair of red/white cables. I would assume that I could use this cable for the #1 and #2 connections listed above, but there is no yellow cable which is also needed, nor is there an S video port on the receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3900
Leave the HDMI to the TV, this will give the best PQ and will allow upconversion of SD-DVDs, component won't.

The coax from the digital audio output to the receiver is just any RCA cable, it doesn't need to be yellow.

Post Number: 10
Thanks. Here is my main question: My manual provides the suggestion listed above for an alternative connection (ie: use "component" cables for "video out" from the AD1, use the red/white/yellow cables for audio/video out, and use a "coaxial" connection from the AD1 to the receiver.)

From what I gather, a coaxial cable is a single pronged cable, which is the same type as a component or composite A/V cable. Someone told me recently that I could in fact use "any RCA cable, it doesn't need to be yellow" to make the coax connection from the digital audio output to the receiver. Is it correct that I can use either kind of cable, and just plug one of them into the coaxial port? If so, does it matter which of the two cable types (component or composite) I use and does it matter what color I use to plug into the coaxial port?

Or should I go to Radio Shack and buy a "single pronged coaxial cable" (if there is such a thing)?

And as a third alternative, I have a special component cable that I actually bought by accident: "component video plus stereo audio" which is the red/green/blue component cables along with a pair of red/white cables all in one. I had thought that I could use this cable for the #1 and #2 connections listed in my original post, however there is no yellow cable which is also needed, nor is there an S video port on the receiver. But could I use this cable to make the component connection and one of the red or white cables to make the coaxial connection?? If so, what exactly would the connection(s) be?

Thanks, Ron

Gold Member

Post Number: 3903
You can use any RCA cable for the digital audio connection, color means nothing.

The HDMI connection is better than component. There's no reason to connect the components when you've got HDMI. The player will upconvert standard DVDs to 720p or 1080i very well when using the HDMI connection, using component the best you will get on SD-DVDs is 480p.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks David.

When you say "There's no reason to connect the components when you've got HDMI", what exactly do you mean? I already have the AD1 connected to the HD TV via the HDMI cable. But I need to also connect the AD1 to the Yamaha 6140. I can't use an HDMI cable for that because there is only one HDMI port on the AD1.

Someone told me that I need to connect the 6CH External INputs/outputs between the Yamaha receiver and the AD1 (Toshiba calls it an "ANALOG AUDIO OUTPUT") As I understand, for this I will use 6 RCA audio male cables to connect that. However, I am wondering what other connections need to be made between the AD1 and the Yamaha 6140. It looks like I would still need to connect the component cables between the two units, as well as the coaxial cable, correct?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3904
You don't need to use component cables for anything. There's no need to connect video to the receiver.

You just need to connect the digital audio out to the receiver. You can connect the 6 audio RCAs if your receiver has the inputs for them but you don't need to.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
"You don't need to use component cables for anything. There's no need to connect video to the receiver."

This makes perfect sense, David! Okay, stupid question: why does the Yamaha receiver even have component inputs?? In the manual, it goes as far as to say "Be sure to make the same type of video connections as those made for your TV."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You just need to connect the digital audio out to the receiver. You can connect the 6 audio RCAs if your receiver has the inputs for them but you don't need to."

Okay, so if I don't need the componnt cable connections, I should only need the coaxial connection and the audio connections between the AD1 and the receiver?

This is what I have done:

1) Used a composite red/white/yellow cable to connect the DVD "video out" and "audio out" to the DVD "video in" and "audio in" on the receiver.

2) Used a composite red/white/yellow cable to connect the Left/Right front speakers of the "Multi Channel Input" (red and white), AND used the yellow to connect the coaxial connection.

3) Used two pairs of red/white RCA cables to connect the Left and Right surrounds AND the center/subwoofer* on the "Multi Channel Input". Is that all I need to do?

*Note: The receiver's input ports on the "center" and "subwoofer" are not color coded like the other four are. I'm assuming this is because it does not matter which goes where since there is no "left" and "right", which have to match (white for left and red for right).

Am I all good to go now?? Thanks for all your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3905
The only reason to make any video connections to the receiver would be to use the receiver to switch sources. IE you have more than 1 player and want to switch from one to the other.

There's no need for any analog audio connections. All you need is the digital audio connection to the receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us