Advice on new LCD/Plasma -- which brand should I buy?

Username: Chevive

Post Number: 6
I've just moved to Moscow, Russia and need to buy a new TV. The local model numbers don't seem to correspond to US market models, so at this stage I'd just like some suggestions at which brands to look most closely at.

I would like to spend under $2000 for a 42" or 46" ideally. I had good experiences with Toshiba CRTs in the past. Are they worth considering for LCD? What about Panasonic or Phillips?

Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3872
If you're looking for plasma, Panasonic is the one to buy. Stay away from Philips, their TVs are very problem prone.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 355
LCDs- Sharp and Samsung are good.
Plasma- 42 inch plasmas here are under 1000, including from Panasonic.

Post Number: 10
Thanks -- really feeling the pain on the prices. 42 in Panasonic plasmas here are easily running over $2K US (and not even 1080p)

What's Sony's rep in LCDs? Surprisingly, they don't seem to carry the big price premium I saw in the past in the US.

I'll see how much I can negotiate, but it looks like budget considerations are pushing me more in the direction of LCD here.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2310
­
Sony's LCDs have an excellent reputation, but be aware they make a lot of models at different prices. Make sure you know what you're getting. You could also be looking at an old model -- although if it is 1080 it can't be that old.

Just curious:
How are you going to get your TV signal...terrestrial, cable, satellite? I understand that internet TV (IPTV) is getting big there and is expected to grow fast.

What is the state of digital TV? High definition?
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks...

Well, I seem to have terrestial cable connection via a box. In the past, I've had sattelite here. IPTV is quite popular here, as it offers the largest choice, but from what I've seen, the signal quality is not that great. HD is pretty much nonexistent here so far as I can tell, but it is used by all the computer stores as a marketing gimmick.

You see a few Blue Ray discs here and there, but with PS3s priced at close to $800, its not yet as popular as in the US.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2313
­
Thanks for the reply CheVive. Given your answer, maybe you can get along quite well with a 720 display.

And save some Upload in this purchase.

Is this the accepted symbol for the ruble? Or is it rouble?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Good guess John. The symbol for ruble is just "p" (which is the letter for R in Cyrillic)..

Bronze Member
Username: Scherrman

Post Number: 29
I would recommend the Samsung 46" 1080p LCD. I sell it for $1,699.95. Check it out, model number LN46A550
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us