Sony Rear Projection TV Problem

Username: Bryan11875

Post Number: 1
I have a 2 year Sony - KDFE55A20. Shortly after powering up, the screen goes blank, comes back on again, goes blank, etc. Makes it kinda hard to watch. It happens when watching TV, the DVD, video console, etc. Any suggestions? SOny was useless.

Username: Trish65

Aurora, CO USA

I searched this site yesterday to see if I could find someone with our same issue, I only found one and it was from January 2008. We purchased a Sony SXRD Projection TV KDS-R50XBR1 in March of 2006. Within the past month the screen has a yellow tint and changing any of the settings does not help it at all. For what we paid for that TV I would have thought it would have lasted longer than 2 years....anyone have any idea of what the problem could be?

Post Number: 2
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1566911#POST1566911

I found my problem was related to the lamp. Apparently, it was in the process of going bad. The TV would power up but then the lamp would overheat and automatically shut down (audio and video) resulting in a dark screen with no sound. Once the lamp cooled (30 - 60 secs) it would come back on. Then overheat, turn off - recycling "eternally". A new lamp solved the problem - for now.

Username: Sonylistens

Trisha,
Thank you for your posting. I'm Steve G. from Sony Listens. An article relating to your posting can be found at http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=185
Please do not hesitate to contact us at SonyListens@am.sony.com if we can be of further assistance.

Username: Aummie44

Sacramento, CA

Steve I have had the problem of my 60 inch Sony model KDF-E60A20 of turning off (screen goes blank), then comes on again then shuts off again every 15-60 seconds. TV is just over two years old bought May 31st 2006. Sony does not acknowledge any kind of design defect problem just that my TV is out of warranty.ONLY A MONTH! I spent $2800 for this and expected it to at least last 5-7 yrs by Sony's reputation. I have not replaced the lamp yet but i understand that is the problem with life expectancy of two years on the lamp.I wish i would have known before purchasing that i could be spending over $200 for maintenence (lamp)evrey 2 yrs and IF that is the only forseeable problem i can expect from my family's big purchase back in 06'. Sony charged me about $230 for a replacement lamp i have not received it yet. How do i install? and what are my chances of obtaining a refund on something that i feel is a design defect and not adhering to the laws of warranty of merchantability? Shouldn't a $3000 TV last at least 5-7 yrs problem free? Are there not laws protecting consumers from these types of products that seem to be purposefully designed to reach back in the consumers pocket book every two years. Im confused Sony seems to take no responsibility for an apparent design flaw on their big screen TV. I will never by a Sony product again until they rectify this with at least (1)free lamp to consumers who bought these types of TV's that are less than 3 yrs old.

Username: Sonylistens

Steve,
Thank you for your posting. I'm Steve G. from Sony Listens and I have read your posting.
We would like the opportunity to review your situation. Please contact us at SonyListens@am.sony.com. Please include the complete model number and serial number of your unit, detailed information regarding the issue you are having and your contact information.
Please also be aware that the replacement lamp will come with directions on how to install it in the TV.

Post Number: 3
Steve, I completely agree. I purchased my 55 inch SOny TV in March 2206 and it started acting up. I called Sony but they had no clue as to what the problem was - spent an hour "chatting" with someone - finally told me to call for service. I asked about problems or warranty and was told it was warranted for only one year. I ended up having someone coe out and replace the lamp - cost me $377. How ridiculous - on a 2 year old TV. I think its just a hige racket - no way I should have to spend that on a new" TV. My daughter has an old TV - 27 years and never had service. SO much for new technology. I've always bought Sony products before - cameras, cacorders, Home theater, stereos. etc. Not again!

Username: Pswen

I haven't seen any posts on my issue so here goes. I have a Sony KDFE50A10. About a week ago I saw a series (28) of small blocks, about 1/2 inch square, appear horizontally across bottom of screen. The blocks are pixel-like. Within 2 days there are 6 of these rows. All inputs effected. Did a reset as instructed by Sony. No help. Authorized repair coming to look this thurs. Optical Block?? Any help would be appreciated.

Username: Jamie_w

Trisha,
I am having the same issue with the same Sony set. I read the class action lawsuit against Sony. Has Sony reembursed you for any parts or replaced your Tv? If not, did replacing the lamp solve the problem?

Username: Pharmon143

I have to disagree that Sony listens. I've called twice on the problem. And found that they've been hit with a class action suit on the one issue, (optical block), I have this problem with the yellow and green lines across the 60 SXRD, and the lamp issue, paid $250 to replace the lamp. And the tv is still not coming on, it appears to be the other known issue with these TVS, the thermal sensor. And we've had this tv since only December of 06, and we paid close to $5,000. I considering getting a group together for another class action suit for this KNOWN issue, that they refuse to cover.

Username: Jamie_w

Post Number: 6
Just had my optical block replaced for my KDS-R50XBR1 on Sony's $$. The TV continues to shut off and turn on by itself although the time between occurances is longer. The tech stated the lamp should be replaced due to the number of viewing hours. Can anybody suggest an online site to purchase replacement lamps? The authorized dealers around here are asking around $230-240. Also, is the internal clock that keeps track of your viewing hours easily accessible?

Jamie,
I got my lamp from bhphotovideo.com
800-606-6969
212-444-6615
Ordered it, had it shipped next day air. Replaced the lamp as suggested, and my tv still will not come on. My problem appears to be the thermal sensor issue, which I mentioned above. Have a repairman scheduled to come and do the optical block, but they are a week out. Pay attention to how many times the red light is flashing when the tv goes off. Even though right now your tv is still operational, there will come a point it will shut down and not come back on. What you describe is how my tv started out, then it just completely stopped working.
I posted here, and then got a response from Sony Listens,
below:
Congratulations! You have received a private message from the following discussion board user: Hanklcd4e

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm HankLCD4E from SonyListens and I have read your issue. We would like the opportunity to review your situation. Please contact us at SonyListens@am.sony.com. Please include the model number and serial number of your unit, detailed information regarding the issue you are having, and your contact information, including your telephone number.
then i sent my response to that

-----------------------------------------------------------
My name is Pam Jenkins, home phone is 540 373 7284, and cell 703 201 5512

I've contacted Sony support on these issues, been given an event number for the optical block issue, but was told they would not cover the other issue. Again, my feeling is because this is a known problem with so many people, it should indeed be covered, because that means it's defective to begin with.
I look forward to your help. And hope that you can change the opinion that has been caused by the lack of response to this issue.
If it is resolved by Sony, I'll be the first to say, they do listen. Otherwise, I'll be screaming from the rooftops.

Thank you for your assistance.
PAM JENKINS
and the next response I got was from Sony (non) support

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
In a message dated 1/20/2009 9:06:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, support@info.sel.sony.com writes:
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C36267

Brian
As I said in my e-mail, this is a known problem. The trouble shoot doesn't work for the majority of the people with this problem.

It would really nice if Sony would step up and fix the problem, as they know it is an on-going problem for people with these models.

It would be a shame for people to have to start another class action suit to get it resolved, but that seems to be the only way to get them to step up.
And it's not helping the Sony reputation.

And if you don't believe me, do an internet google search on the issue.

And there was a service Flash on this very issue in April of 2007, i, e, it's a known problem.

I would really appreciate your help. If you don't have the authority to fix it, take up to the next line of supervision
pam jenkins

so all in all, I really don't thing they listen. They continue to stonewall.
If the light on your tv is blinking four times, it's probably the thermal sensor. If it's just three you might be lucky enough for it to be lamp, which is expensive but an easy replace. The thermal sensor is known to them, you can check out other sites, that's how I found out about it.
Class Action is looking better and better for this fix

!

Username: Patdj

Lakewood Ranch, FL USA

I purchased my Sony Grand Wega LCD Projection TV Model KDF-E55A20 in October 2005. In 2007, the picture starting turning off by itself. We did some research and purchased a new lamp for the TV. We were told when we purchased the TV that the lamp would last 5 years. We did not expect to have to pay over $200 for a lamp every two years. Well now the TV has a huge blue blob on the bottom of the screen and about 25 blue "stars" on the screen. The colors seem to be going and after researching on this site, I realize I have optical block. It seems that Sony is offering extended warranties on 2004, 2006 models but not 2005 models. Why? It's the same problem.

Post Number: 3
PATRICIA, PLEASE READ MY POST ABOVE.
OUR TV IS A 2005, AND THE OPTICAL BLOCK WAS COVERED.
TRY CALLING AGAIN
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us