BestBuy jumps into Blu-ray

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1007
BestBuy's house brand (Insignia) now includes a BDP:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10100059&logon=&lan gid=EN

This is a good sign.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 344
Blu Ray really isn't catching on. The failure of HD-DVD didn't give Blu Ray much of a boost. Neither is the economy.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3854
Hopefully Toshiba's new player they are touting will keep SD-DVD alive and well for the forseeable future, it may not need their new player to do that anyway, and Blew-ray will fade away. The vast majority of people are perfectly happy with SD-DVDs and don't care about HD-DVDs. I'm pretty picky about my TV picture and am happy with SD-DVDs on an HDTV.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 348
I actually hope Blu Ray makes it over time just so there is an option down the road. Things arent lookin very good for Blu ray at this point IMHO only.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1027
I agree Marc. I was hoping Blu-Ray would gain momentum after HD-DVD tanked, but it seems to have gone the other direction.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2285
­
The latest from Walmart. Magnavox for $298 with a $100 gift card. Reportedly made by Funai in China.

Wonder how good or bad it is?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10088473

Gold Member

Post Number: 3862
Funai is crap. A ripoff even with the $100 gift card.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 266
Does the failure of BR to go bigtime mean there will be some player bargains to be had?

People have been burned SO MANY times with format wars / upgrade itis that it is NO WONDER most are sitting this out.

That the cheapo Funai/Magnavox is 300$ and is considered el junko, just reinforces this view. Anybody wanting BR will want a good one and be willing to pay for quality. But, when VCRs went from 1000$plus to can't give-em-away in 15 years, is it any wonder that people who just got used to DVD are not wanting to scrap them for yet another new technology, even one with reasonable backward compatibility?

BlueRay can be rendered moot simply by having a gigantic big pipe (internet connection) to your house from which you can get 'movies on demand' to your home server. They 'expire' in 30 days, so you have plenty of time to watch it a few times. Maybe for an additional fee you could burn a permanent copy?

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 354
Well I think Blu Ray has gone bigtime as far as budgets and advertising by lots of manufacturers and movie studios, but the avergae consumer just doesnt have any interest. Its an expensive niche actually, cuz for it to really make sense sevral things need to happen;

1. A consumer actually needs to care about the better audio and video. This eliminates 90% of the consumers right now.

2. The consumer will need to upgrade to an AV receiver of some sort that can decode the audio formats in most instances. ( elimiates some more)

3. The consumer probably is gonna want a hi def display or have it. ( eliminates more)

4. Result? -- a limited market.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 277
I see your points, but don't necessarily fully agree.
When a person actually SEES the better picture, properly presented, of a BR player, that fuel the 'buy urge'.

Some, like me, who have good 2.1 systems AND an HD display would be perfectly fine with just the addition of BR quality.

I agree with your result, Marc, but think the real reason is the pace of change is unmanageable and people are tired of getting screwed at every 'leap forward'.
Beta/VHS 8track/cass LP/45 and going from twinlead for an antenna thru coax and than 's' to component then DVI /HDMI.
What a nightmare to keep up with this.

At this rate, BR will last about 5 or 6 years than on to something 'better'.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3875
With only 2.1 most people, me included, would probably update their audio before going BR. To get the full HD experience you need more than 2 channels.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 278
David, I have a very nice 2.1 system. You may want to look at my profile?
At this time and for the future as far as I can see, I will have NO ROOM for a good 5,6 ,OR 7.1 system. My LR is a very odd shape with 2 walls at 45s. I have tried to figure a way to go HT surround without luck.
Also, if I head in that direction, my head will end up on a platter! (spouse), who is very tolerant up to now, would go nuts were I to change direction like this.
And as if that wasn't enough, I would probably want an all Magnepan system!
I have owned 'em for 25yrs+ and can't imagine another speaker in my LR.
There is NO ROOM in this house for Both a dedicated 2.1 and a HT setup. They gotta be the same system.
That being said, When I retire, this may change since there is ample room on the back 40 for a HT add-on room. At that point wife gets her LR back.
I wish I could follow your suggestion but money and space do not permit.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2305
­
Actually Leo, I'd have to agree. Even though I am a fan of surround I would still take two 1.6QRs over five of almost anything else.

How long did it take you to get that sub dialed in?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 279
In no particular order, I did the following:
1. Decide on available locations. Near the Stereo, was of course #1. I could have chosen the more open side, (right) or the corner location, (left). I had purchased an 8foot stereo pair from bluejeans cable.
I counted on my room, having 8 walls of which 2 are at 45's and a pitched ceiling to distribute any bass nodes. This seems to be true, since I can identify NO hotspots, at least in the room. My DEN has a rumble, though! (helmholtz resonator?)
I chose the left, since that was in a bass increasing corner. It is a downfiring unit, and the port(s) face the back/short wall and are about 21" away. The sub is about 2" from the wall, leaving room to access the plug. (Unused, since the sub and amp plug into dedicated 20 amp line in back of stereo)

2. Arbitrarily chose a x-over of about 55hz.
3. Messed with phase...now not touched.
4. Messed with vol control until pretty seamless. May lower it again.
5. Lowered x-over until it completely disappeared. Now at about 45hz..may lower.
6. original setup and unpack took about 2 hours. 10" at a time since than, maybe 3 or 4 more tries.

Now, I need to install seatbelts on sofa.
This rig'll blow you right out of your seat. The Cannonfire in Master/commander comes right out of the set. The Dino walking in Jurasic park (classic, no?) will have you soiling yourself.

Music is terrific. Everything from Pipe organ to hard rock now.....Rocks!

The Demo Disk that comes with the HSU has a good recording of the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony with 16hz fundamentals played loud. You WILL damage something unless played on the very best equipment and than at low vol. You don't even hear anything without the sub, not even a 2nd harmonic.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2311
­
Thanks Leo. I don't want to get too off-topic here. I have no doubt your system is way above average, both for music and movies. Your choice of 55Hz for the crossover should be about right since I understand the Maggies have a fairly sharp roll-off at around 60Hz.

Just one more quick question: which recording is that Saint-Saens?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 282
Got me there! I'd e-mail HSU Research and ask. It is on the Demo Disk which comes with there Subs.
I'll dig the disk out and have a look, but it'll have to be later.
X-over NOW around 45hz. Without the listening base of many listeners, I'd have to call this now 'seamless'. And, with an amazing amount of 'punch' for HT and music.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us