Upconversion from Component

Silver Member
Username: Yashmatharu

Brampton, Ont Canada

Post Number: 235
Hi Guys,

I have a Optoma projector which is HDTV compatible (480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i).
It does not have HDMI/DIV input but it can take component thru components to 15 pin (RCA). It is getting 480p level pictures thru my old DVd player. Yesterday I bought Samsung HD870 from Walmart but it seems this piece does not provide upconversion thru components.

Can anybody help me to buy an upconversion DVD which upconvert thru components or easily unlocked.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Funkmeister

Post Number: 99
Do your research. Several DVD players upconvert to 1080i through compmonent cables. Slovenry should usually be avoided.

Silver Member

Brampton, Ont Canada

Post Number: 236
jimmy,
I really don't care for barking dogs.

hi folks, I did my research and also spoke to bestbuy and the source guys. they have no idea of upconversion players which can do tricks thru components cables.

if anybody know any dvd plz help.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3851
There were some players that could be hacked to upconvert over component a few years ago, they are pretty much gone now. Oppo is the only one left that I know of that can be hacked to upconvert over component. You might want to check that out over at AVS before buying one to make sure they can still be hacked. All HDTVs upconvert to their native resolution, I don't know if that's true of projectors or not.

Silver Member

Brampton, Ont Canada

Post Number: 237
thanks David.

I will visit flee market today to find if they have any hacked dvd available.
my projetor also has round rs232 socket and in the manual, they refer this as dvi socket also.
is there any round dvi thing available?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3852
I've never used DVI. There are cables to go from HDMI to DVI, I don't know about a round DVI though.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 343
There are many players that will upconvert a native 480i signal from a standard DVD and pass the upconversion over component to a front projector or fixed pixel display.

Oppo makes several as does Denon etc. Hometheater secrets DVD shootout data can provide a very long list and actually tests upconversion abiities as well.

No hack is needed. We arent trying to pass a copy protected signal over component as native 480 material is not routinely copy protected.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3863
I don't know where you get your info from but you're way off. Virtually all retail DVDs are CSS encrypted and cannot be upconverted over component on any DVD player unless hacked. Home recorded DVDs are a different story since they are not copy protected. Oppo players MUST be hacked to upconvert retail DVDs over component. That hack will void the warranty.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 350
WE are just talking semantics. An upconverting DVD player like an OPPO c an be used with component cables no problem. Remember, upconversion existed before HDMI. We are not talking about passing a native 1080P signal which is a different topic than upconversion.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 351
You might be talking about HDCP, which again is unrealted to upconversion of 480 to 1080 either at the player or display level.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3865
Upconvert players WILL NOT upconvert retail CSS encrypted discs, virtually all retail DVDs, over component unless hacked, period. There were a select few that would a few years ago, they are gone now. The best any new player will do over component is 480p. You need to do some homework, you don't know what you're talking about.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 352
Use of an upconverting DVD player will take a 480i DVD, upconvert it to 1080i and send it over component to a fixed pixel display, which, if also at hi def resolution, will display it as such.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 353
Heres a player that can do it:

Update: The HVD2085 reviewed here can upconvert even protected content to 1080p via anolog, as well as a couple other players (most requiring hacks). Apparently some Chinese manufacturers have gotten around the CSS restriction, but I haven't ben able to find out specifics yet.

This is from engadget.com FYI.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3874
That's an old player, good luck finding one. Like I said there were a few that would upconvert over component a few years back, they are gone now. To upconvert over component with any current players requires them to be hacked and very few can even be hacked. Some, possibly all, Oppo players can be hacked. Even the players that can be hacked to upconvert over component don't always work with all discs.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 280
Round DVI= DIN? (S-video?)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us