Copy protection sensor in dvr

Username: Khcpopi

Post Number: 10
I am looking for new dvr. My current set up is: Sony dvd player to Sima100 to Toshiba dvr (used from e-bay and then fixed again by Toshiba factory under warranty). DVR started saying "disk dirty or damaged" and after using cd cleaner disk, it plays once and then same message. Pulled dvr burner and cleaned the lense but same problem. Now I am looking for new dvr. I am looking for basic dvr without the tuner. I did get advice about dvr with qam tuner, but it looks like the cable company charges me anyway with or without renting their box. My questions:
1. From research, I assume all dvr's have copy protection sensor. Can I continue copying with Sima? I don't know if current dvr has or has not such a sensor. It is about 3 years old.
2. Have any advice for reliable brand? So far, consumer reviews have been confusing. I only want reliability over several years. Is my search realistic, or are they about all same if accessories are taken out of comparison? There is a big price difference between basic models of Toshiba (best seller in Amazon) and Panasonic (recommended by Consumersearch). What may be the difference? Lense quality? How easy it is to use the remote? The disk tray will continue to work year after year?
If this matters, I don't record tv shows at all.
3. I bought taiyo yuden dvd-r in bulk. The speed is, I think, up to 16x. I was advised to use 4x but even Supermediastore does not sell just 4x. I have no problem with these disks. Will new models accept these disks?
Thank you all in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 42
What are you trying to accomplish?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us