HELP!!! Best 65" HDTV under $3500??????

Anonymous
OK people, I was just given the go ahead from the boss to pick out a big screen.....one problem.....I haven't kept in tune with who is making what lately. I ask all of you for your input on which 65" set is best thing going right now. I know I've come to the right place, thank you all for your responses!!!

qdog
Hitatchi 65" is fantastic..for a complete review of this model, see Sterophile Guide to Home theater's May issue

Anonymous
Which Hitachi qdog? How is Mitsu 65313? Best Buy has it for $2599 right now

skeptic
I find it hard to believe no one has an opinion on this hahaha

qdog
Hitachi 65" Ultravision 65XW20B....BTW, it was June's edition of Stereophile's Guide to Home Theater

Derek
Hitachis are very good and so are some of the high-end silver Sonys. Mitsubishis are good but RCA, Toshiba and Panasonic have caught them and produce comparable sets at lower prices. Forget about Philips, GE, Zenith etc. They seem to have lost thier way.

The Samsung DLP is very good too. Because it's DLP, there's drifting congergence, ringing or need for scan velocity modulation.

See http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/download/182003163058.pdf. It's almost a year old but still usefull.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
thanks for the info

Anonymous
What about the new Toshibas? I'm looking at the 65H93 intergrated model. It has both DVI and 1394 inputs.

Anonymous
qdog - the hitachi 65xwx20b is a tad higher than $3500.......how about the 57"? is it similar?

qdog
I actually own the 57", my neighbor has the 65"...The only concern is the new model year for the 57", is a tad "cheaper" in it's components to stay competitive at that price point, then last year's model...Not sure if the model year has changed as of yet, i purchased mine in april...I paid 2700+- if i recall

Anonymous
OK qdog, i think i have settled for the 57" booooooooooo....just because the main viewing distance is 10 feet (what is yours?...i am still trying to squeeze in the 65" hahaha) tell me, do you have the swx20b or the xwx20b? what is the difference besides alot of price?

qdog
i sit about about 9-10 feet fromm screen to middle of sofa...i have the swx20b...I believe the main difference in the 2 sets is the swx20b is a HD Monitor, which means you need a set top box from cable or sattelite to receive HD signal...The xwx20b has an integrated hd built-in...n my opinion not worth the extra $$$, because cable will provide you with the box....

Anonymous
oic, i happen to live in a 3rd world-like country here in SC where the cable company doesn't provide the box, is it my understanding that the box will only be necessary until 2006 when HD will be mandatory, or does it go further than that? the cheapest i've found the swx20b is 2700 at Rex (5yr ext wty is 399 add'l), should i keep looking or is this a good price?

qdog
I think that is a good price....Does your cable company provide HD reception??? If so, they must have a set top box to enable you to receive the signal...I've never heard of a cable company not providing a set top box..How to they provide premium cable channels, if the box is not present to unscramble the stations??? or how do you get pay-per -view??? In any event, i'd be amazed if the cable company doesn't have set top boxes..Geez, you are only in SC, not Siberia :)

Anonymous
haha, not much different from siberia....a little warmer maybe, cable company doesn't provide HD reception (much less any reception) i live on an island with only one cable company that is horrible....cable goes out here every afternoon at least for a couple hours, no kidding.....Knology isn't even available, pay-per-view was added only 2 weeks ago, and they STILL don't provide internet access.......soooooooooo, this whole box issue is important for me to consider.....what do ya think?

qdog
yikes.....

Anonymous
besides yikes

marssh five
You can get the RCA 61" DLP for just about 3500. Blows the traditional rear projections out of the water!!! Got mine at BB...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us