Have my new HLN507W setup - looks great - no rainbows

RonB
Just received my HLN507W -- bought it on ebay for $3099 + shipping. Have it set-up with DirectTV HD receiver via the DVI port. I am currently watching ESPN-HD - a live broadcast of the Diamondbacks and the Padres. The picture looks great. The field of view along the horizontal axis (left to right) is so much greater that crt based RP!!! The color looks good out of the box -- the picture is bright -- maybe too bright. And, in spite of claims of the rainbow effect, I have not seen it AND I am watching fast plays on a baseball game. I can only go on what I see and thus far the claims of rainbows are exaggerated. I find nothing wrong with this unit!!!

Anonymous
RonB, how are you setting up the DirectTv via the DVI port? I have DirectTV also with HD (component cable output and fiber optic audio), but I didn't see a dvi port to use. I have the HLN4365W model. I agree, it is a great tv.

RonB
I have a Samsung SIR TS-160 DirecTV receiver which has a DVI output. Sounds like you have a receiver with only a component + fo output. You need to get a reveiver with a DVI output. The picture is much better and worth getting a new receiver that has this.

Ron: I would love you to elaborate a little more about your dvi-enabled set top box for your Samsung. I have a Sammy hln 467 with a Directv Hughes E86 hi-def box, but it LACKS a dvi output.

I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting out of component cables for HD signals & dvd watching. My issue pertains to normal Directv broadcast signals (non hi-def). Image PQ is more fuzzy than I like, with less sharp edges & detail.

Are you watching normal Directv through your dvi cable from your set top box? Or can you only watch hd content through the dvi? What connections are you using for normal analog & digital channels on the satellite? are you satisfied with normal television pq? Thanks!

Anonymous
The rainbow effect is very subtle. It only occurs as a flash of rainbow just below the threshold of your brains ability to 'freeze and cognize.' It will usually occur just after blinking where your blink coincides with the color wheel rotation. Trust me its there. You are just high from the 'new tv effect.' This effect is even more pronounced with HDTVs as we are so used to NTSC and HDTV is so superior. Give it a while. Having said that I find it livable and better than the convergence problems with tubes and poor contrast ratios and burnin problems of plasma. Still waiting for a really good HDTV!

Anonymous
RonB

I just got my HDTV Samsung HLN507W along with the SIR TS-160 Receiver and bought a DVI cable to. For sound I am only gonna use for TV speakers for now. Please brief me how should I set the receiver and TV (including what cables to use) for best performance.

Thanks

AmitD
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us