Help; VHS Tape Stuck in Hitachi VCR

Username: Sam267

Post Number: 6
A VHS tape has been stuck in my Hitachi F361 4 head Hi-Fi VCR for a long time. As far as I can tell the tape is intact (not broken). I just can't get the VCR to eject the tape. I've tried plugging & unplugging it and even opening it up to see if there is a button or spring mechanism I can trip to release the tape, but so far no luck.
I'd really like to retrieve the tape. Can anyone help?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3774
If you don't see a loading motor near the carriage assembly, the capstan motor is used to eject the tape. If so, and you want the tape out without being damaged, you've got to get under the metal base. Unless you can turn the capstan shaft, what pulls the tape through, from the top.

Post Number: 7
David:

I don't see a motor near the carriage assembly. Once I get under the metal base what do I do?

Sam

Post Number: 8
David:

Thanks for your help! If you hadn't told me about getting under the base I never would have known. As far as what else to do; I just answered my own question. I turned all the plastic gears until the tape released and then I pulled it out. Would you recommend not inserting another tape and forgeting about the VCR or would you try using the VCR again?

Sincere Thanks,

Sam

Gold Member

Post Number: 3775
You can try using it. Sometimes they just get stuck in a certain mode and don't know what to do. Now that you know how to get the tape out, try a tape you don't care about and see if it works. It probably won't work, but it might.

Post Number: 9
David:

I turned the VCR on and it only stays on for about 5 seconds then it shuts itself off. So I can't put a tape in. I guess I should just forget about using it again unless you think there's something else I can do?

Sam K.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3777
It sounds like something is out of alignment.

Post Number: 10
I'm wondering if that's the same thing as saying it's not worth trying to fix it? If not, can it be fixed easily?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3779
There's a good chance it's a simple repair. With the prices repair shops charge though, it's probably not worth it.

Username: Teitzell

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I had the same problem -- almost exactly a year later, yesterday. I Googled, found your post, I got my tape out and fixed the problem. Too hard to write it all out. Email me and we can talk -- if you even still have the unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us