My Sony RP LCD is melting (PICS)

Bronze Member
Username: Bottledz28

Post Number: 13
I have a Sony KDF50WE655 RP LCD TV that I bought in Feb of 2005 and I have gone through 5 bulbs already. Well the bulb went again the other day and what I found inside the bulb pocket was disturbing. Apparently, the bulb is getting so hot that it is literally melting all the surrounding plastics. Has anyone heard of this happening before? My TV also suffers from the very common purplish fingerpritns sydrome. Someone from Sony is coming out tomorrow to look at it to determine if it is from "normal wear and tear". I have pics but I am unable to upload them to their size so if anyone wants them sent to their email then let me know. Maybe you can shrink them down so this site will allow them.

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 105
BOTTLEDZ28,
What type of lamp are you sticking in your TV? Make sure you buy a "Philips" brand lamp from a trusted supplier like Discount-Merchant.com or SonyStyle.com!!

Those OSRAM, LTI, APO and other GENERIC lamps have been known to cause overheating issues and burning of unrepairable parts like the 3lcd lenses in your light engine!

To me it seems like you keep sticking in generic lamps!

The purplish "tint" you see on the picture is your 3lcd light tunnel getting burned by the light intensity.

BUYERS BEWARE! ALL SONY LAMPS ARE ORIGINALY PHILIPS. Anything other than Philips UHP lamps may damage your TV beyond repair. Not to mention much inferior lamp life.

Username: Richsr

Bethlehem, Pa USA

Post Number: 1
I have for almost 50 years purchased Sony products,especially TV's. I never had any problems until I decided to go with High Def. I shopped around looking for the highest quality picture with the price being no object and the TV I picked was a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 projection TV and paid $4273.99 for it on 03/27/06 at Best Buy. I also bought a 4 year extended warranty for it from Best Buy for $400.Anyway, what a great picture it had when viewing HD programs. Then in 01/07 I noticed a slight green hue in the right hand corner of my picture, hardly noticeable.I called the only authorized Sony Repair in my area and they looked at it and said they had to order the part and when it came in they come and pick up my TV. They had it about 4 days and returned it like new with no charge under Sony's 1 year warranty. Then in 04/08 The lamp module went out. I had the extended warranty, but that is when I found out the warranty wasn't for a Sony tech. but for a Best Buy tech. He came (when he was free in a few days)to replace it. Took him about 15 mins and everything was fine again until 05/08 when I started getting 3 separate jagged narrow horizontal lines with no picture, but I had audio. I assumed the 3 lines across the screen was the video signal. I tried different signal inputs but it was definitely the TV. Powering off and on did not get my picture back. Read my manual and tried a factory reset with the remote. No help, so I unplugged the TV from my Monster 1610 power protector ($300 also from B.B.)and plugged it into a normal house receptacle and lo and behold the picture came back. So thought the Monster box receptacle was defective and left the TV plugged into the house reclt. Everything was fine for a couple days...I watch TV every day,,,and then it did it again. What I saw was that these lines appear when I turn the TV off. So the TV isn't really off because the lines are still visible on the screen. The only way to get the TV off is to unplug it. Then it works normally for any amount of time for days then it did it again and I called the B.B. tech because it is still covered under the extended warranty. He came and looked at it(I left the set on for 2 days when it happened again because it was so intermittant) Of course he never saw the problem before and tried calling Sony tech but couldn't get through to them while he was at my house. He later called me that evening and told me that this PSP warranty would not cover the estimated repair cost of $3,171.00 to fix it because it exceeded the value of the TV. So they offered to replace the TV. Here is the catch...Sony does not make this TV anymore...no projection models at all. They (Best Buy) offered me $1,600.00 towards a replacement TV. Can you believe it? The sales rep showed me a few (5) models around that price (61"DLP's) but the picture quality did not match the picture of my 60"Sony. They said I would have to pay extra for Sony's largest LCD TV. Well anyway enuff history...I called Sony support in sales and tech and they would give me no answers to what could be wrong or what the part is that I need that is so expensive. I could find no one on this forum with the same problem as I. So I am going to call the authorized Sony repair shop and have them look at it and go from there on what to do next. I will send pic's if someone wants to see them and when my set decides to do it again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us