Vizio p42 hd plasma

Username: Richman2k7

Brooklyn, Newyork Usa

Post Number: 1
hello everyone im new here and all i want to know is that i have a vizio p42 hd plasma but my problem is that there are bars on the right side of my screen can this be fix can i just buy a part and replace it any fix will help thanks

Username: Richman2k7

Brooklyn, Newyork Usa

Post Number: 2
anyone can help plz

Username: Madvizio

Newport News, Virginia United States

Alberto,
I had the same problem and my set is out of warranty. They sent a repair person with a replacement part which was going to cost me $390, which included $180 part. During the installation the repairman broke one of the clips so they had to reorder. It has been taking a while so I cancelled the repair and ordered the part myself which is $228. I ordered it through www.electronica.usa.com

Part number is 6871QCH060Q

This replaces 681QCH038A

This part is located under a couple other boards at the bottom center of the tv. It connects to the two boards at the bottom of the television that controls each side of the television. They listed the repair as a part swap.

Username: Draco_a5og

Hey Ed,

I was wondering if you had any issues with the DYI fix of the board?

http://www.electronica-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EU& Product_Code=6871QCH060Q&Category_Code=

TIA,

Spent 3 hours removing all what seemed like 100 freaken screws.

Took out the OEM 038A, caution the factory placed some type of heat transfer silicon clear grease on the back of the board so it will feel like it is glued on. Just be very carefull and gentle when prying it apart.

Be warned, you will need a magnifying glas to check those little resistors. They all checked out, no broken solders.

What I did observe is the grease melted down the back of the board and puddled at the bottom of the board and where the resistors sit.

I used rubbing alcohol to clean it all up but left the reside on the square pads. Cleaned the resistors and used a dry paint brush to dust of any lint.

Placed the component back and after 10 minutes the Vertical Red Line Disappeared.

Turned on the set next morning it was still gone. 10 minutes later it re-appeared for a couple of minutes then went away.

I spoke to a kind gentlemen at Electronica-USA.com, he stated that the 060Q is an upgrade to the defective proned 038A ( 038C is also an upgrade ). A tech in Cali stated the 060Q worked perfectly. He has had zero complaints about the 060Q in the Vizio plus he offers a 90 day return policy. Funny thing is the 060Q was designed for LG and Goldstar Plasmas but for some reason they do not work for them but do work for Vizio's. He even states that on his site.

As I type the red line is still gone and stayed off several hours last night.

I think I am going to pull the trigger and replace the 038A to the 060Q and be done with it.

Oh yeah, I asked him if the 060Q needs to be "flashed" with the Vizio program. He never heard of it requiring it.

He has 038C on order they are couple of bucks cheaper. the 060Q is $224 plus S&H.

I found on ebay for $184 free shipping but waiting for the guy to verify no "flash" requirement.

Hope this helps someone.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

P.S. use a power screwdriver, your wrist will thank you. I put mine on low torque as not to strip the heads.

Oh one more thing every component in the housing is LG. So I guess we own a LG

Post Number: 3
Confirmed no BIOS Flash required on 060Q.

Does anyone know what "Hand Insert" for 038C means?

TIA

Post Number: 4
Update:

Spoke with PartStore.com, rep stated 6871QCH038C (038C) is the superceded replacement for the defective prone OEM 6871QCH038A (038A). They and others offer the 6781QCH060Q (060Q) for $50 - $100 more. I opted for the 038C, but I was concerned about the title of the part which states "HAND INSERT"... PartStore.com rep stated it is in fact a board and there is no soldering needed, just "plug and play". DONE, paid only $120.95 + next day shipping for $29.95.

Since I took the TV apart before, it was a breeze and took about 2 hours, start to finish.

Important note, remember to remove the two 1" square spunge type heat sinks/pads the new board needs those for a proper installation and protection of the certain component.

Also you need two small zip ties to replace the ones you are going to clip off.

Added Bonus, the new board fixed other issues:

1. At times I would get a squeegly red line go across the screen. I thought it was the source (cable) but it is gone now.

2. Screen Shift, when I use the XBox for Games or DVD/HDVD the screen would shift. Very annoying, prior to swap out, recently the screen started to shift watching cable. Now it is no-longer an issue.

I am really pleased with my DIY repair and wanted to share.

The damn Vizio Out of Warranty Service wanted $360 for a service call which included the part for $125 plus they take my bad board for exchange.

6871QCH038C $120.95 http://www.partstore.com/Part/LG+Electronics+Incorporated/LG+Electronics%2fZenit h/6871QCH038C/New.aspx
Over Night Shipping #29.95
DIY FREE

Username: Twister99

Jim

Is your fix still working for you? I have a P42 which started to have a blue vertical line about an inch wide just off of the right side of the screen. Wonder if it is the same issue. I am close to pulling the trigger and order the 6871QCH038C replacement board. In addition, do you know if the 060Q board has any advantage over the 038C board? 038C is $112 and 060Q is 200+, so the saving is pretty significant!

Post Number: 5
Yes, indeed, my DIY repair is still working like new :D

VERTICAL LINE, yeap same issue.

I chose the 060Q because it was supposedly an upgraded flashed program. Can't say if I could notice any significant difference before my old board went AWOL.

$88 is alot but remember you saved yourself a service call so, don't be cheap. I would go for the 060Q. But hell it's your dough so try the 038C. Remember the warranty is only 90days.

Jim

Username: Twister99

Thanks for the info. I will go with the 038C since $200 for a DYI is still pricy if you consider a 720P display can be bought for under $800. Hopefully 038C will give me a few more years on this Vizio.

Username: Dj_free

guys i have the same problem... i just cleaned the main board and viola the red vertical line was gone. but after a few das it came back.. i think the culprit is the sponge/foam under the pcb. it emmits some kind of a sticky part that can cause some resistance to the board.. whats the use of the foam? is it for anti static or heat transfer? cause i want to get rid of it and change it to a alternative foam that dont emit sticky substance

anyone? i just wanna know what's the use of that foam in it.

Post Number: 6
That is a heat sink.

If you don't have that sponge, it will over heat and fail for sure. But give it try an let us know

In my experience, your issue will return.

my 2 cents. I upgraded my board and still no issue

my vizio is now in torture test.. 2 days and still counting. no red vertical issue...

Username: Shaheed4tawheed

Hi everyone, I had the same problem with a 1 inch wide blue vertical line... as per 'Free' advice above i just cleaned the main board OEM 6871QCH038A and removed all the sponge/foam from it and what do you know the blue vertical line is now gone. I agree with 'Free " i think the culprit is the sponge/foam under the pcb. I don't think we need to spend money on the new board, just need to take out that sponge from it...we will see what happens next.

Username: Jackfugu

Hey guys, I had same vertical colored strip problem and found your thread here. I changed to the 038C and now my display is black, nothing comes up, no menu, nothing. have taken it apart and check and rechecked connections 3 times, still the same problem, thinking maybe I got a bad board, I ordered from partstore. I'm going to try and clean the old board and see what happens.

Post Number: 7
are you getting sound? If not that means a connection is not fully seated. Good Idea to reinstall the old board to confirm that it is not your assembly issue.

Post Number: 8
BTW, still working strong

Didn't check for sound, no speakers hooked up, I was simply plugging in a s-video cable to check for picture. Every time I took it apart I broke it completely down and put it back together and every time I had a black screen, power, but no picture. Almost have it back together, we shall see what happens. I was extremely careful so I don't think I screwed up something else.

Post Number: 9
Take your time and check all inputs and that the source is powered on as well, but you know this ,-)

LOL, it works! At first I had the same blue, green, and red vertical lines but in different places than before, than after like 15 seconds the red went away, 30 seconds the blue dropped, and 60 seconds the green went away! No new board just cleaned the old with rubbing alcohol, I opted to leave the heatsink/foam things in place, I figure if it took 2.5 years to cause a problem than I would rather have them in and just clean it again in 2.5 years!
Thanks so much for all of your postings everyone!

Post Number: 10
Cool, just make sure you clean the excess clear lubricant ( the heat conductor), when that drips into the connectors, it can cause the lines as well.

Enjoy Brother!

Post Number: 4
well, it worked okay for about 2 days. always had lines at startup but they disappeared after it warmed up, so I resolved to order the 60Q board. Had my father helping me and he snapped off a part on the graphic pcb,
So now I'm ordering one of those along with the new 60Q board. $400 total.

Username: Csider702

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP & HERE IS MY CONTRIBUTION BACK FOR FUTURE Do-It-Yourselfers

Just letting you guys know that the part that fixes the red vertical line works!

Partstore.com was great and it was easy shipping and install as well. I took pictures of the interior once the back metal panel was removed. Here are some tips on doing this from what I wrote down for others that will be wanting to fix the TV themselves.

1.Remove all screws from back of TV panel (yes even the small tiny ones near the bottom)

2.Remove 4 tiny screws around the input box area
Lift input box area straight up vertical and it will unseat from the two plugs under it, then remove exposed tiny screws

3. Lift the back metal panel off the TV completely and vacuum dust that has collected on it and lay it some where that wont be disturbed.

4.Take a picture if possible so you reference where screws go and posts go.
At this point you'll freak out for a moment because you can't see the board that you need to replace; don't worry, it's hidden under the main board that would be right under the input box that we just removed.

5.Remove back support metal bar by removing two screws left and right.

6.This is where you need to be patient and remove the top main board by disconnecting the plugs and screws that are the grounders.

If you have made it this far into your project, you can handle it from here I suppose, as this was my first time without any help or diagrams. Please take a [picture for re setting the parts back in place so you don't forget where they came from.On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 Hardest) I personally would say this is a 2 and only because there are so many screws, ha ha. If you need any more help please feel free to contact me at cside702@aol.com

PS. Next reply from me will have the pictures I took with helpful area pointers of the interior of the TV.

PART IS:6871QCH038C
Cost: $120.95 plus what ever you prefer for shipping

http://www.partstore.com/Part/LG+Electronics+Incorporated/LG+Electronics%2fZenit h/6871QCH038C/New.aspx

Username: Csider702

PLEASE READ MY POST ABOVE SO YOU HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT THIS PICTURE MEANS.

Upload

Username: Brs

Did any of you folks have thin (like 1 pixel) sized vertical lines on your TV's?

My 50 inch plasma has developed two small vertical lines, red/pink in color. I'm hoping that this same mod could possibly fix the issue, but I'd like to be sure before I spend the cash for the parts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Well, it sounds like the Main Board went out.

On the Cheap:
I would carefully take it apart and clean the contacts of the tape connectors to the monitor. If it is the same issue. the Heat Sink fluid has melted on to those connectors and may have cause the bad contact.

Costly but Cheaper then calling a Tech:
Get the proper updated main board and that should fix it but make sure you clean the contacts or you will have the same results.

My 2 Cents.

BTW, My Plasma is still working great after upgrade/fix :-)

Username: Mashirts

The 6871QCH038c board needs the main BGA processor reflowed to solve the half the screen black or colored lines on half the screen on the mentioned TV's. There is a service on ebay that provides that for $45.

Username: Bruce0512

Hey I have a Vizio VP422 HDTV10A and the when you turn the screen on it gets red and green grains all over the screen. And then the screen will start to blink like a strobe light. What do I need to do to fix it and how hard will it be. Thanks

Username: Loanerdave

Much thanks to Jim Chang and VISIO Helper for their awesome posts!! I found this thread today after noticing a very thin pink line just right of center on my Visio VP50HDTV20A. Sounds like the replacement process with either the 038C or 060Q board does the trick but I'm wondering if this is also true for my Visio model.

Someone, please advise. Thank you!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
If your model shares the same board or similar then I would guess YES. these were made originally by LG so it should.

BTW, still working great :-)

Username: Loanerdave

That's great to hear that yours is still rockin Jim! Any idea how I would find out what board mine has without taking the TV apart first? And even if I did that, does it have the code on it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us