Another Samsung DLP problem...from New Zealand :-)

Username: Nobbienz

Post Number: 1
Hi guys and gals,

I was hoping that someone could help me with a DLP problem im having. I will try and include as much info as possible to save you time...model, Samsung model SP46L3HX, approx 4 years old.

So bascially turned the TV on one morning, it was running for about 5 minutes then made a loud popping noise. The screen went black and there was no sound. Thinking the bulb had blown (due to the age of the TV) I ordered a new philips bulb (the correct one for the TV). I installed the bulb with no problems and then loaded it back into the TV. Guess what, nothing happened! Except I got the three flashing lights on the front of the TV. I had a look at the old bulb and thought that it was a little strange that I had heard such a loud pop and the old bulb didnt look damaged???

After doing some research I have found that there are usually three common faults with these TVs, 1 - bulb, 2. colour wheel, 3. Ballast.

Although the bulb doesnt fire up when i turn the TV on I can certainly hear a whining, clicking noise which i asume is the colour wheel starting up???

So.....this leads me to think that the ballast is faulty??? Obviously i dont want to be spending money on a ballast if its obviously not at fault - but accept that i may need to get one if its an excercise of elimination.

Do ballasts usually make a loud POP when they blow? If the ballast is faulty would i still get sound? - because im not getting any sound - just those 3 pretty flashing lights on the front of the TV.

I miss watching my movies :-( and would really appreciate any assistance or wisdom on this issue.

Although i have been riding my bike more since the TV broke so i guess thats a good thing LOL.

Cheers
Rob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us