Best connection for recording from DVR to DVD recorder - Use AV receiver or not?

Username: Malbari

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I want to replace my DVD player with a DVD recorder to view DVDs and more importantly, record saved shows from my DVR (Motorola box through Comcast). I'm trying to figure out the best connection, and also if I need to conncect the DVR to the DVD recorder. Here's my potential set-up, although I can change it if necessary.

-DVR (HDMI out) to Denon AV receiver (HDMI in)
-Newly bought Panasonic DVD recorder (HDMI out) to Denon AV receiver (HDMI in)
-Denon AV receiver (HDMI out) to Panasonic HD TV 1080i (HDMI in)

So as you can see, I'm using the AV receiver as a pass-through for both sources. For me to record saved shows from my DVR to the DVD recorder, will I need to connect the DVR to the DVD recorder using the above set-up?

Alternatively, since the TV has 2 HDMI inputs, would it be better to connect the DVR directly to the TV via HDMI (while the DVD recorder remains connected to the AV receiver)? In this case, will I need to connect the DVR to the DVD recorder?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 17
If you connect your the directly to your TV, then you will be listening to your TV programs through your TV speakers. Your decison.

You are limited to either composite AV or RF for your Panasonic DVD recorder inputs. Your DVR most likely has the composite AV outputs so that is what you'll end up connecting. No choice.

Bronze Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 18
If you're not going to use your stereo system's speakers then I don't see what's the point of using it as a passthrough. Just connect both DVR and DVD recorder directly to your TV.

Username: Malbari

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 3
Actually, if I connect the DVR directly to the TV, I can still listen to my TV programs in 5.1 surround (which I plan to do) via the digital audio connection from the DVR to the receiver. The 1.3 HDMI connection between the DVR and the TV is video only.

OK so you're saying with either set-up, I still need to connect the DVR to the Panasonic DVD recorder via composite, right? This was actually what I wanted to know since I wasn't sure if there needed to be a connection established between the two.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3720
S-video is better than composite, but either will do. If you use s-video, you still need RCAs for audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us