Connections TV, cable, satellite,DVD recorder.

Silver Member
Username: Creek

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 480
I am a teacher and I need to be able to record informative programs to DVD, which I can show in my social studies classes.
Today, I bought a Panasonic DMR-EZ27 at BestBuy. The manual does not show how to connect my TV to the cablevision box, the satellite receiver, to the DVD receiver.
Can somebody help me?
Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 16
Are you saying you have both cable and a satellite receiver box?

Do you currently have a VCR in this setup anywhere?

If you do, just take it out and put in your DVD recorder.

Silver Member

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 482
Yes, I have a cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) and a viewsat extreme.
No, I don't have a VCR in this set up.
Thanks.

Silver Member

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 483
Upload
Although I don't have a VCR, I will use this set up I found at the Panasonic website.
Tomorrow, after I recuperate from the Giants party, I will set it up.

Silver Member

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 486
This set up did NOT work.
Tell me what I am doing that is wrong:
I have a TV, a DVD recorder, a viewsat, and a cablebox.
1. Cablebox and viewsat connected to RF in with respective wall sources
2. Cablebox RF out to RF IN into the DVD recorder.
3. DVD recorder RF OUT to Back of TV UHF VHF IN.
4.Satellite box AV OUT (red, white, and yellow) to DVD recorder AV IN.
5. DVD AV out to AV IN into the back of TV.
After turning all on, the Satellite image does not appear on TV. Only the cablebox image appears on the TV.
I disconnected the satelite going to the DVD recorder and plugged in straight to the TV. However I will not be able to record from the satellite. I can only record from the cablebox.
Does anyone have another chart that I can follow?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Go back to your original configuration, switch your TV to monitor mode or something like it - making it a dumb monitor - to view your satellite image.

Silver Member

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 487
Thanks for your quick response. I tried everything but I can't record from satellite.
Also, the Panasonic recorder takes 10 seconds to respond to remote control commands. I think I'll go back to Bestbuy and return it for a Sony DVD recorder. My TV is Sony but, the Panasonic DVD recorder had the best reviews.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
If you don't get this working, getting a Sony DVD recorder isn't going to help you!

They work the same when it comes to video signals.

That's the simple truth of it.

To record on your DVD recorder, you have to change the source it uses.

I have a JVC DVD recorder and I can record from either the cable or my VCR or my camcorder.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3717
Sony is Samsuck. You'd be better off with the Panasonic. Toshiba has the best picture quality, but Panasonic is probably more reliable.

Connect everything with s-video or RCA cables. Never use coax unless there's no other way, video quality will be inferior and audio will be mono. Use the line inputs and set the recorder on whatever input you used. If there isn't an input button on the remote, go through the channels until you find the right input.

If the recorder takes 10 seconds every time, it's defective. There are some functions that take awhile and the recorder won't respond until it's done with the task. I.E. when recording stops it has to write info to the disc before it will do anything.

Silver Member

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 489
Thanks LK and David.
I will keep the Panasonic.
I'll also research and try different ways to get both sources going into my DVD recorder so I can record what I need.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3718
If the cable box and/or satellite have s-video out, that is the best way to connect, but depending on the sat and cable box quality, there may or may not be a difference between s-video and RCAs. If you don't need the absolute best record quality, RCAs will do fine.

You need to be sure you are on the right input when you record is the main thing. When you see what you want to record on the TV when the TV is on the DVD recorder input, you're good to go.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us