Cable TV Issue

Username: Sparkysteve

Byron Center, MI

Post Number: 1
I have the Comcast "Digital Starter" package. I have a cable box connected to my living room TV. I also have tv's connected directly to the cable in the kitchen and bedroom without a cable box. The two TV's without boxes have a fuzzy picture. I just wanted the analog channels. I don't really need the digital options in these rooms. And I don't want to have to hook a box to an undercabinet LCD TV in the kitchen or pay for two more boxes. My cable comes in from outside, goes to a 120v amplifier/splitter, and from there to each room in the house. I'm an electrician and installed all the cable myself. Any ideas, or suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2070
­
My suggestion is to call Comcast and schedule a service call. You may be an electrician, but that doesn't make you a cableguy.

Username: Sparkysteve

Byron Center, MI

Post Number: 2
We also install and hook up cable and phone every day. I'll give them a call.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 2257
Well Steve
It's not that hard to find out why yo got fuzzy pictures in those 2 rooms
As it maybe just a simple bad wiring
Process of elimination I'll give yo few tips:

First
I have seen bad cables made by professional installers simply shorting shield or inadequate shield or bad crimps
I only recommend snap and seal crimps with RG-6 (double or quad shield)
There is a learning curve in how to make your own cables but not hard by any means
Correct tools is a must see picture
(Stripper, Crimper and criimp connectors)

Upload

- Make sure signal coming from cable utility line is good (by viewing quality on screen)
- If yo use amplified splitter use known good cable to check quality of each outlet

Shop around
Home depot or Low's
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us