70 inch JVC HDILA problem?

Username: Flblue

Post Number: 1
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this? The bulb issue thread seems to be locked lower down so I apologize in advance if I'm posting this incorrectly and it needs to be moved.

Anyway, I have the 70 inch model, had it close to 2 years. Great picture, loved it so far.

Lately though sometimes the picture goes a little bit darker, then lighter. I assume the bulb is going out???

It doesn't happen all the time, just seems to do it every now and then. It's a little annoying more than anything as it doesn't seem to last that long. And it seems the longer I have the TV on, after a while (on the weekends) it doesn't happen at all after hours of use.

Is this a bulb issue I'm having? What should I do? I emailed JVC, they recommended unplugging the unit for a couple of minutes then plugging it back in.

If I need a new bulb, do they have improved bulbs on the market that don't have issues?

TIA for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Tvshopper

Post Number: 190
Paul,

What model do you have? Is it one with the variable iris? If so, it could be an issue with the iris. Otherwise, it could very well be a bulb. There was a batch of bulbs that had terrible problems (early burnouts, etc. in 2005 or so) but the current bulbs seem to last just fine provided they are treated properly (good air flow, proper shut down/cooling off, no large vibrations, etc.). I have 2 1/2 years on my current bulb with no sign of failure. Make sure you buy from a reputable source.

Post Number: 2
It's a HD-70FH96 model.

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
I don't believe that model has a variable iris so it is most likely a bulb. It could also be some obstruction (i.e. dust, spider web, etc.) in the light path.

Post Number: 3
Thanks tvshopper. Last night I payed close attention to it and there was no slight dimming at all so it's something I can live with right now.

If it gets worse,I'll get a tech out to look at it, if they tell me it is the bulb where do you recommend I purchase one?

Is clearing a dust obstruction something I could do or is that best left to a trained technician?

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
I would only buy from a reputable dealer. There is someone on here (look at the JVC Bulb Failure thread) that some have claimed is good or go with JVC directly.

As far as cleaning out any obstruction I can't answer that for you. That depends on how comfortable you are with that kind of thing. Look in the threads as someone was discussing doing just that not too long ago (within the past couple of months in the JVC threads).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us