Dubbing Old VHS Tapes: Help!!!

Username: Madeline

Post Number: 1
Hello, I need your help!!! I purchased a DVD Recorder for the express purpose of converting old VHS tapes to DVD. However, hooking the machines up as the directions specify gives me the Error Code of E25 (cannot be recorded -- the manual says it's copyrighted content). But how are old VHS tapes copyrighted content??? Can anyone help? I've been so frustrated!

I have a new Toshiba DVD Recorder
I have a 1989 VCR, the brand is GE, I believe
My television is about 3 years old

Also, from browsing this forum, here are a couple other things:

A prior post suggested using 8x DVD's instead of 16x DVD's -- would this help? (I bought 16x)
Another post suggested using a stabilizer -- isn't my 1989 VCR old enough, or should I try the stabilizer?

Again, I hooked things up exactly as the directions specified: DVD Recorder to TV, and then VCR to DVD Recorder. THAT hookup gives me the Error Code of E25. I've tried numerous other ways of hooking it up -- which DOES make the recording part work, but all it does is record a blank, black screen. So I inevitably come back to doing it the way the directions tell me to, which, like I said, seems to be connected properly, but gives me that E25 Error.

Bronze Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 12
If these VHS tapes are store bought movies, then yes, it could very well be that they are copyrighted using something known as Macrovision.

If these VHS tapes are tapes you recorded on your VCR, then it is a different problem.

Post Number: 3
That's why I've been confused, because these movies are just old, dubbed VHS tapes. For example, about 5 years ago I recorded Bridget Jones' Diary onto a VHS tape. Last night when I tried to copy the dubbed tape, it gave me the Error Code E25.

I can understand if I was trying to copy an original, Bridget Jones DVD --- but this was a 5 year old dubbed VHS. Argh, what gives!!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3685
If the tape in question was (dubbed) from another tape or DVD, it's copy protection. If the movie was recorded from cable, sat, etc., then something else is wrong.

Post Number: 4
UPDATE:

First off, thank you both for the replies. I followed a diagram of a hookup I found on another post here, minus the Digital Video Stabilizer he had included (I don't have one yet). Result:

The Bridget Jones Diary VHS would still not record.

I then put in a VHS of another movie, one that had been dubbed off TV instead of dubbed from a DVD. It worked!

So I guess my new question is, I really DO need the Digital Video Stabalizer, correct?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us