Connection Help - DVD Recorder/TV/Home Theater System

Username: Jenny_g

Post Number: 1
I have the following equipment:
Sony DVD Recorder RDR-GX255
Sony DVD/Home Theater System DAV-DX255
Sony WEGA TV KV-32FS120
Cox Digital Cable box

If anyone could help me connect all these items, I would appreciate it SO much! It would save me from throwing all of it (along with all the extra cables I thought I needed) out in my yard! Thanks so much for any help.

Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 5
What kind of output does your Cox digital cable box have?

Post Number: 2
I'm sorry - I'm so LOW tech, but I do know it has the output with the 3 cables (red, yellow & white). Those cables are currently connected to the DVD/Home Theater system. We also have an old VCR in there, but I'm hoping to replace the VCR with the new DVD recorder, so I didn't mention it in my components. Thanks!

Post Number: 6
The Cox cable box is connected to the DAV-DX255 right now?

Hmmmm, I'm looking at the specs for the DAV-DX255, and it doesn't show the type of inuts you mention.

Post Number: 7
Also, if all you are doing is wanting to use the DVD recorder instead of the VCR, just remove it from the sysem and use the DVD recorder.

Post Number: 3
I may be wrong on that - I'm at work right now and can't look at everything. The routing goes: cable from the wall in to the cable box, out from there, in to the VCR, then out to the TV. the DAV-DX255 may be connected directly to the TV. I'm sorry to be so vague...I thought I had written everything down right. I do appreciate the help, and your time, though.

Post Number: 8
It sounds like you already have everything connected except the DVD recorder.

Just take out the VCR and connect up the DVD recorder. They should both have the same type of connections for the cables to connect to.

Post back when you get home.

Post Number: 4
OK - so you think the DVD recorder also has an input/output for the antenna cord coming from the cable box, and out to the TV (like the VCR does)? Oh, if this works, BLESS YOU! You will have prevented a nervous breakdown! I will definitely check it out and post to let you know!

Post Number: 9
My JVC DVD recorder has exactly the same connectors as my Panasonic VCR and more.

Post Number: 5
Well, it didn't work :-( My DVD recorder doesn't have the antenna cord/coax like the VCR does. If it matters, the DVD model I have does not have a tuner in it. I'm seriously thinking about taking it back. I REALLY do appreciate you taking all this time to help me, though!

Post Number: 10
Does your Cox cable box have any other outputs other than the antenna coax?

If not, then your best option is to return the Sony and buy a DVD recorder with a tuner.

Post Number: 6
It does have one set of the red, yellow & white outputs. I'm giving it one more shot tonight, then back to Wal-Mart we go! They have a Magnavox with a tuner that's $10 cheaper. It's not top of the line, but as you can tell, I don't need anything very hi-tech! I so appreciate your patience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Those cables should work. Just make sure to plug them into the corresponding INPUTs on the Sony DVD recorder.

Post Number: 7
LK - I owe you BIG........I got everything connected last night and it all works!! Thank you so very much for not giving up and helping me all the way through the process.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us