DVD player recommendation for Sony 32 inch XBR4

Bronze Member
Username: Andrewh973

Post Number: 14
Hi All,

Are there any recommendations out there for my new Sony 32in XBR4? I'm confused about the quality differences between the Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray players. I'd like to get something that's not going to be obsolete overnight.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 244
Toshiba A3 on the less expensive side or Toshiba XA2 for a little more money. Blu Ray codec is in flux due to the lack of interactivity and the desire to include that sometime next year, moving the vid code to BDJ which I am not sure current blu ray players can handle.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3608
HD-DVD just got the OK for 3 layer discs from the DVD forum, the current players may or may not play them. So they are both playing the same game. I'd wait and see what comes next before investing in either. I'm with Marc though if you want a player right now, I'd go HD-DVD.

Bronze Member
Username: Funkmeister

Post Number: 27
The A2 and A3 top resolution is 1080i. Can't remember if your set is capable of 1080p. If so, you would need to go to the A35 to get 1080p with a Toshiba.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3610
Wheather you will see a difference between 1080i and 1080p is doubtful, especially on a high end TV that can do a good job of conversion.

Bronze Member
Username: Funkmeister

Post Number: 29
I respect David, but many people do see a difference between 1080i and 1080p.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us