Suggest a DVD recorder

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 724
I'm looking for an inexpensive DVD player/recorder for the sole purpose of recording programs to dvd that I'd like to keep that I have on my dvr. I won't be playing movies with this unit, so I don't need anything fancy. Just looking for something fairly inexpensive yet fairly reliable. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1755
I personally will go with either Sony, Panasonic or Toshiba
But JVC maybe the best inexpensive that won't break on yo in a year or 2

Amazone.com
Check this site www.ecost.com

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3585
Toshiba, but none of the new recorders are as good as the ones from 2 years or so ago. Sony is Samsuck these days I think, one to avoid.

Username: Comish29

Newton, MA USA

Post Number: 1
Hello David Massey - I am interested in moving my personal and commercial VHS tapes to DVD. If I've understood previous threads (looked at the one from 9/05-2/1/06), I should get an MCM stabilizer, discs and a dvd recorder; I aready have a VHS player I can hook the stabilizer to. What dvd recorder do you recommend for this (the Pioneer 220 in no longer available, unfortunately) and will these 2 devices allow me to convert my Disney collection to DVD also? Do I need to be concedrned about "-R" or "+R" when buying the recorder or is there one that covers both now? Do you still recommend the Taiyo Yunden discs for recording? TIA.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3621
I like the Toshiba recorders. I don't know if the build quality is as good as Pioneer, Pioneer doesn't market DVD recorders in the U.S. anymore, but the picture quality is the best there is. I don't think MCM sells stabilizers anymore, they are getting hard to find. You can get a Dimax Grex, but they cost $80 if I remember right. Taiyo Yuden have always been good in the past, but there have been some complaints about the new batches. If you can find Verbatim discs that say made in Taiwan, they have always been dood discs. Pioneer and Toshiba both use -R discs, the newer Toshibas might do +R too. Get the lowest speed discs you can find, 8x are better than 16x in standalones.

Newton, MA USA

Post Number: 2
Hi David - thanks for your guidance. I found the MCM here, still $20 - http://www.mcminone.com/search.asp?keyword=&restrict=1000215
so I think they're still available.
You seemed down on Toshibas in your '05-'06 thread; do you feel they've improved or is it because Pioneer is no longer available?
Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3623
I guess they finally got them back in stock, they didn't have them for months.
The Toshiba recorder I use(D-R4) has excellent picture quality. I had one that only lasted about 6 months of medium use though. I haven't used anything newer than the D-R4, I bought 5 of them when they were $20 or so on Ebay. The newer recorders are scaled down from the older ones, not near as many record or playback options.

Newton, MA USA

Post Number: 3
I just looked for the D-R4 on eBay and Craigslist with no luck. What are the minimum options I should be looking for in any unit? What are the minimum specs I should be looking for? I'm only wanting to convert commercial VHS tapes to DVD and among them is a Disney collection (does that require any special consideration?), probably 100 in total of all tapes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us