Extended Warranty -- SONY LCD

Username: Option001

Post Number: 1
What do you folks think about extended warranties for sony LCD tvs? CC wants $400 for 3 yrs, $850 5 yrs. Seems like a lot of money but is it worth it? Might it be cheaper to just adjust my house insurance to cover the TV?

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1756
I personally think extended warranty is a rip off
And I will pick Plasma over LCD
But that is my opinion
Just be careful not to buy a large TV by mail as it affect sensitive electronics inside

My answer is not to buy extended warrantee nor buy via mail order

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3586
With a Sony TV, I'd get a warranty. Go through someone other than CC, it'll be a lot cheaper. Here's the best price on warranties I've seen.
http://www.warrantydomain.com/tv.htm

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 235
I dont advise buying an extended warranty. Their usefullness is questionable--meaning even if you bought the warranty if you should have a problem you may not be able to use the warranty as you think you might.

400 dollars is a percentage of the purchase price; you didn't give the model/price of the display you are considering.

Comment- most electronics will show problems within 90 days of first use. While the Sony displays are more than electronics, those are the parts that will usually have quality assurance problems that are repairable.

Keep in mind uneven bulb wear is considered nor mal wear from use so a warranty probably wont cover that. All thats left is a power supply essentially so you are betting on a power supply failure within 3 years essentially.

Not likely. Sony has had some serious QA issues, which is why they have some partnering with Samsung-- but those issues were mostly with their now defunct plasma line. Their other displays are pretty darn good I must say.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3588
Sony has reliability issues with all their TVs, just do a little searching on the internet and you'll see. My CRT had the picture tube go in less than 6 months. I'll definitely be buying a warranty before the Sony one runs out. I don't like anything other than CRT myself though, so I want it fixed if something goes wrong, I don't want another TV.

Bronze Member
Username: 007b

Post Number: 46
David and I have had different experiences with Sony tvs. I've owned them over 30 years (tube and LCD, the latter obviously less) and have only had one repair. Extended warranties may be worth consideration on new and still unproven technology or with a company having a history of unreliability. But they are always grossly overpriced. Try to negotiate a lower price if you feel you must have an extended warranty.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3590
I can get an extra 5 years of warranty for $85, less than $20 a year. I wouldn't call that overpriced.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 236
Will there be digital CRT TVs available for purchase ( other than used or overstock) after 2008?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3591
CRTs are gone. BB has pulled all their stock, I'd guess CC will be right behind them. I got the last decent CRT TV that will ever be made, picture wise anyway. Sony has quit making CRT same as Panasonic, Toshiba is quitting. That's why I'll definitely be investing in an extended warranty. Plasmas are too big and run too hot for where I do my TV watching and I don't like LCDs at all.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1766
Sony's TVs got problems on their audio as well as the video

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 239
My plasma will be five years old in January 2008 and works fine. Remember, an extended warranty doesnt mean your covered, particularly in the world of electronics. Better to go with credit card protection that doubles the original factory warranty for free.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3594
My Sony TV had the picture tube replaced after a little over 5 months and it still isn't fixed. I've got to hassle with them over it again. Their stuff is problem prone, that's all there is to it. I knew better than to buy Sony in the first place. I've worked on enough of their products to know they have serious reliability issues. There just isn't any decent TVs in the size I need.

Username: Rhayes13

Idaho Falls, Idaho U.S.A

Post Number: 5
I've looked into extended warranties online, they seem to be a lot cheaper than in-store warranties. If you are wanting an extended warranty that might be the way to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Buyer2007

Post Number: 42
Best Buy would cover/fix after 3 dead pixels on LCD's.

Bronze Member
Username: Brooky

Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 12
Just yesterday I cashed in on the 5 year extended warranty that I bought for my 44" Toshiba DLP. After 3 1/2 years, I needed a third light engine. The lemon law in the warranty states that 3 major repairs and they'll replace the tv. They offered me a 46" Sony rear projection LCD. I upgraded and paid $400.00 more and got an LG 47" flat panel LCD. This machine is awesome. I've also cashed in on extended warranties on a Harmony remote, a hair trimmer, and a couple of other small ticket items. It's a gamble for sure. But much of this new technology is unproven. Take a chance, or buy the warranty. It's up to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us