How do I stop a DVD player from jamming my TV?

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 560
i have a neighbor who apparently has a cheap or broken DVD player. every time they watch it, it jams my TV with scrolling angled stripes and a vague picture of whatever they're watching. i know it's a DVD player because i can see the oval DVD logo when it starts.

i have to watch TV using an amplified antenna as i'm 60 miles from the nearest city with broadcasts.

what do i do to keep their signal from jamming mine? it isn't just on channel 9 either, it's on every channel, but is mostly masked on channels with good reception.

i've tried switching my RF modulator between channels 3 and 4 to no avail.

the only two things i can think of to remedy the situation are ground lifters to get rid of ground loops or maybe trying and RF filtered outlet.

is there anything i can do to stop this?

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1271
Well mr. minded I don't think it is your neighbor DVD player cuases this interference however it sounds like they are splitting their DVD signal via RF transmitter

Your amplified antenna is receiving close by signal and acting as an RF receiver you must be within 50 to 70 feet range fro that transmitter.
Alot of people do that to share DVD player receivers etc. I assure you you got poor coaxial cable from your OTA antenna.

What I would do is to tell them that you do watch same programs when they turn on their transmitter this might scare them can sound too spooky.

I would use good shielded coaxial cables and grounded coupler. Quad shield coaxial cable from your OTA antenna and to your antenna amplifier.

Click here for few tips on quad shield coax cables
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1080851#POST1080851
King

Bronze Member
Username: Joed

Post Number: 38
http://www.kyes.com/antenna/interference/tvibook.html#sIII

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 561
DVD players CAN cause interference. before i bought my sony when my onkyo bit it a 2nd time, i tried a $25 sale player. it created TERRIBLE herrinbone distortion on my set even when it was powered down & disconnected from the A/V chain entirely. to watch TV i literally had to unplug it. that's the same type interference i'm seeing now.

for what it's worth, i am running the TV into the RF modulator because my DVD player is hogging the RCA input.

i also have my doubts about the modulator too. it's a radio shack unit i bought used and i think it severly compresses image dynamic range. DVDs with alot of dark background etc. literally glow this eerie dark blue almost light a blacklight & bright scenes can wash out too. i noticed the same effect on the B&W TV i started with when i first moved here. it has to be the RF modulator if two different sets do that.

is it possible that the RF modulator & A/C are the weak links in the noise department too?

i was thinking that the interference was comong through the power lines because, like i said, that cheap player i bought caused interference even when disconnected from my 1st RF modulator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us