Archive through July 06, 2007

Username: Tsxprss

Post Number: 2
I am in a holding pattern. Blue blob / haze in center bottom probably getting worse over time. Sony said no coverage unless it is etch-a-sketch.

I positively NEVER will purchase another Sony product if this isn't resolved.

Yes, we were somewhat early adopters of this technology, however, that is the MAIN reason I went with Sony over others. I figured my trust in the Sony name was significant and that if anybody was making them right, it had to be Sony. WRONG!

And beyond that, they are covering the etch-a-sketch, but not the blue blob. That makes me even more upset than if they wern't fixing any! They have it in their ability to fix my problem, and are choosing not to.

Thus, pending a different outcome, I will never touch them again!

I'll keep watching, hoping that they decide to cover this problem. Otherwise the thing ends up in a dumpster, and I go buy a Mitsu DLP........

Username: Pezzuti9

Lehighton, PA USA

Hi gang,
I called the toll free number at Sony service center that I located on line. Here is what the woman I spoke with told me.

First I must have the TV looked at by an authorized Sony service tech. whom she gave me the phone number close to one near my home. The service man has to determine what is wrong with my TV and make a report. He gets $65 to come to the house and if I take the TV set to his shop it is the reduced to $35.

Then the Sony rep told me they will get the report from the service man and determine what they will pay for if anything at all. I don't get any action until I shell out the $35 and take it to the repairman just to be looked at and then he makes the report out for Sony. He said he would have the set for 3 or 4 days.
Here is the toll free # I called
1-800-222-7669

Hope this helps some of you.

Username: Nkrenz

Naples, Florida USA

Post Number: 3
Wow - $65 for a service call, I just called the one and only authorized SONY repairman in our city (you can't get one to come from the next closest area) and our going rate is $100 just to get to my front door. Anything can happen after that. The repairman sounded pretty cranky over the phone - must be all of the WEGA service calls he has to go on! Doens't sound like he would be very sympathetic for my cause.

Username: Timzagorc

Post Number: 6
The blue blobs and frozen pixels are starting to show up in product reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061ZNVE

Sony must see these. How can they not just give in to protect their name? I really don't understand this?

Post Number: 7
Wrong link - try this a go to the customer reviews link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDF-42WE655-Projection-Television-Integrated/dp/B00061ZNVE

Username: Blueblobwega

Post Number: 10
Nice find Tim!

This board and/or some e-mail programs break the links on a redirect.

Use this url to go directly to the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00061ZNVE

Lehighton, PA USA

Does any one know if the new color block if you get one installed have been upgraded to be more efficient or do they just install one from old inventory that they have on hand??
Lou

Username: Shirlenepaulk

Post Number: 8
I just got the optical block on my TV replaced. I had been waiting for it for almost two months as it was on back order. I also want to add that the blue blobs got worse while I waited for the part to come in. Before it covered maybe 20% of the screen. It covered about 30% of the screen right before the optical block was replaced. I can only assume that it was redesigned to fix the defect. I don't think Sony wants to hear from all of us again who already got the optical block replaced. By the way, no more blue blobs so far and it's as good as the day I bought it.

I am now working on getting Sony to reimburse me for the labor portion of the replacement. Let's see how far I get. Will let you all know.

Bronze Member
Username: Dave_carney

Derby, KS

Post Number: 11
There is absolutely positively no way Sony redesigned it. Start your count down to another failure, as I have.

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Post Number: 22
Guys,

It might be a bit off topic but I really wanted to share my experience (moderators, if it's better to move this post, please do so to the approperiate category).

I went ahead and bought a replacement lamp for my Grand Wega. I wasn't sure about Discount-Merchant though there's positive reviews here on them...I called them. A customer service rep walked me through troubleshooting my TV to my sure my lamp was really bad...I mean, it wasn't just after selling me a replacement. We spent a good 10 minutes doing some tests on my TV and the conclusion was a defective lamp.

I gained confidence in them since they appeared very ethical. I placed the order two days ago. I GOT THE LAMP TODAY IN THE MAIL :-)

Spent about 15minutes swapping out the lamp and BAM, I was rock 'n rollin again! Great color and picture. I wish I would have taken some pictures with my DSC-F828 of the lamps...they were indeed identical.

Anyway, for anyone that has doubts out there...the guys at Discount-Merchant.com are REAL and LEGIT...I don't know how they can provide the level of service they do for the price but I hope them my best regards! Give them a shot if you need a replacement lamp.

S.Jones

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Post Number: 23
ahhh...forgot to give them a much deserved plug! Get you Sony lamps from http://www.Discount-Merchant.com ya'll!

Username: Kaarina82

I contacted the BBB, the Attorney General, the Executive Review Committee, and Sir Howard Stringer of Sony, about the problems with my KF50WE610, maufactured in 2003. After fighting with Sony for 2 years, and 5 repairs later, Sony has finally replaced my tv. They didn't give me the full value of the tv, but a prorated value because the tv is 3 1/2 years old, and because Sony has already put a lot of money into the repairs of this tv. That seemed fair enough to me. I added a few hundred dollars of my own money ( less than the cost of the repair) , and had them send me the KDS55A2020. I got it within a week, and it's a very nice tv.I noticed on the warranty that came with the tv that Sony has extended the warranty on the optical block to 2 years. They also cover the lamp for 1 year, which they didn't do with my other tv. Maybe sony is finally getting it. I don't know what I did that made Sony finally agree to replace my tv, if it was a combination of things, or if I just sent a letter to the right person. In any case, everyone keep on them, and don't settle for anything that you don't feel is fair.

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 36
Sony has been having some issues with quality control recently and I have no idea why defects like this even get produced. I have seen the class action against them about the green blob and they have 2-3 more suits pending against them and certain model sets... I also know that they have a class action against one of their CCDs used in many of their digital cameras and camcorders.

All in all they are a great company with great customer service but they have been having some trouble in the quality control area. They lose money every time that happens!
------------
Last but not least.. Steve,
I deal with discount-merchant.com all the time and their replacement lamps are ABSOLUTE ORIGINAL... EVERY SINGLE ONE of them. Only Philips brand for sony TVs which have proved to be the original. Also, if you buy OSRAM or LTI brand lamps the manufacturers of your TV sets such as Sony and Samsung void the warranty on your ballast! We deal with this all the time... We have to report the type of lamp used and in the newer sets Sony AND Samsung as well as HITACHI and LG/ZENITH exclusively state that your a part of your warranty becomes VOID if you use third party lamps! I thought you guys should be aware of that before making any claims to Sony about their TV sets.

I 100% approve of discount-merchant.com's lamps and services and so do the manufacturers! If you decide to go anywhere other than the ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER for your TV lamp it should be DISCOUNT-MERCHANT.

Username: Jackmo711

Post Number: 5
Hey all, been some time since i updated my progress.I reported sony to BBB and have recieved a call from them saying because I am out of warranty that i need to have a tech look at it first before they decide on anything.Before I could even call a tech the most amazing thing happened...the random line pattern popped up in the corner where the blue blob was.Will upload camera phone pics soon.

Here are the pics.

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Derby, KS

Post Number: 12
Nice! You get the full meal deal now. :-)

Username: Dsmylski

Welland , Ontario Canada

Jack: nice pics. looks like something under the microscope out of CSI, not that i could tell exactly because of my blue haze-blob. service guy came this AM. says "yep it is your optic block and no to his knowledge the replacement is identical to original, warts & all." i guess i will be seeing him again in a couple of years time after i replace it.

Lehighton, PA USA

Post Number: 4
Update time - I finally got my 42 inch Sony to the repair shop as instructed by Sony. The person who owns the shop after looking at the digital photo I took showing the blue area in the bottom right hand corner and along the bottom of the screen told me that it seems like the color block is gone. I asked do you get many in with this problem?
He said a whole load of them.

His shop was packed with large screen TV's. Some waiting repair and others completed. I asked him what exactly goes wrong with that part that causes the problem. He said the unit has a gasket used as a seal it and that in time cracks and develops leaks then the gas that comes out collects on the LCD screen as far as he knows there has been no effort to replace the gasket material that they are using in that particular part.

The next move he said he would open up the set and make a detailed report as to what exactly has to be repaired and send it into Sony to see what they give him permission to do.

Keep you posted.
Lou

Username: 39791

Post Number: 1
I have a KDF-55WF655. Purchased in November of 04.

Pink and light blue dots all over the screen. Spoke to a CR in the Philippines Melyn Sacueza. I asked her if she had heard about the optical block issue, and the blue blob. She said she has and that Sony is aware however there is nothing they can do because it is out of warranty. I am going to continue to go up the food chain at Sony as I love a challenge.

If we get no where as a group lets do this.

of the 500 people who are totally out of pocket we each put in our $500.00 repair money to the
"How Sony robbed us T.V. commercial fund" we out to be able to produce a low budget commercial for
$250,000.00. Notify Sony that we are going to do this perhaps they will see the light as a 60 second commercial on Fox will cost them much more in profits (future sales) than fixing all of our optical blocks.

My two cents

Lehighton, PA USA

I just spoke with the Sony repair shop and he gave me the cost of the color block part #A1084658A as being $852.82. The cost of the labor would cost me $270.00 for a total of $1122.82. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!

My next move I called Sony customer service at 1-800-222-7669. After talking with two or three people the best offer they could give me was they would pay half of the amount and that was the final coverage they would give me.

I called the TV service center and told him no way do not fix it. I'll take it back home and purchase another brand of TV when that one becomes unwatchable.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH -Sony just lost another Long, long time electronic customer.

The new block would only last a year or more and the gasket would dry out and crack again leaving me with the same problem or worse that I started with. WHAT A WAY FOR THE NOW INFAMOUS SONY COMPANY TO MAKE A BUCK --- VERY DISAPOINTED IN THE WHOLE SONY LINE. For what it's worth - I understand that the same part (miniaturized) is in some of their cameras as well.

A disgruntle old SONY (used to be) consumer -- NO MORE SONY PRODUCTS FOR ME.
WE HAVE TO GET THE WORD OUT THERE BY MASS EMAILS OR WHATEVER IT TAKES.
LOU

Lehighton, PA USA

If you have not been to this web site and read the report contained it would be a good idea to do so.
Send out emails to your friends including this address so they to can become aware of the problem with the optical block in Sony large LCD TV's and Sony's reluctance to cover the entire cost for repair or replace the optical block with a newer version that has been improved.
Read this
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/sony-kdf-55e2000/4864-6482_7-31789 650.html

Lou

Welland , Ontario Canada

Hey: repair guy came again this AM. repaired my 42''. good as new. he said he upgraded something to do with the fan as he says the blue blob phenom has to do with excessive heat from the lamp which kind of cooks the first panel which produces the blue blob. he was in & out within an hour. i can see why the block costs $750.00. it is big. he also replaces the optical card so they match each other. altogether my cost was $0000.00. i had the extended warranty. sorry everyone. however if it only lasts 2 years my next one will cost me. my wife says to pitch the whole thing if that happens again. repair guy says that the new unit he put in has no upgrades at all. as far as he knows they have done no upgrades from the factory in spite of the problems. so for now i can watch the hockey game in its' true colour but fully expect to have future problems.

Username: Jp1008

Hi Everyone!
I just had the optical box replaced at no charge.
I sent certified letters to Sony's Executive Review Comittee and the CEO.
It worked. My Sony Wega does not have the blue blog anymore. Not sure how long it will last, but right now I'm happy.
I want to thank everyone who has posted to this website. I couldn't have done it without you.

Well repair guy came this morning and called sony who said they will pay for replacement of part.Have to wait now to see how long it will take to get it.Sony is even taking care of the service call!I hope everyone else who has the blue blob issue gets lucky like I did and the roadmap issue pops up.

Post Number: 9
Sorry for posting this again, but there is a big gray square blocking most of my post, and I wanted to try and see if it covers my post again....I contacted the BBB, the Attorney General, the Executive Review Committee, and Sir Howard Stringer of Sony, about the problems with my KF50WE610, maufactured in 2003. After fighting with Sony for 2 years, and 5 repairs later, Sony has finally replaced my tv. They didn't give me the full value of the tv, but a prorated value because the tv is 3 1/2 years old, and because Sony has already put a lot of money into the repairs of this tv. That seemed fair enough to me. I added a few hundred dollars of my own money ( less than the cost of the repair) , and had them send me the KDS55A2020. I got it within a week, and it's a very nice tv.I noticed on the warranty that came with the tv that Sony has extended the warranty on the optical block to 2 years. They also cover the lamp for 1 year, which they didn't do with my other tv. Maybe sony is finally getting it. I don't know what I did that made Sony finally agree to replace my tv, if it was a combination of things, or if I just sent a letter to the right person. In any case, everyone keep on them, and don't settle for anything t

Sorry for posting this again, but there is a big gray square blocking most of my post, and I wanted to try and see if it covers my post again....I contacted the BBB, the Attorney General, the Executive Review Committee, and Sir Howard Stringer of Sony, about the problems with my KF50WE610, maufactured in 2003. After fighting with Sony for 2 years, and 5 repairs later, Sony has finally replaced my tv. They didn't give me the full value of the tv, but a prorated value because the tv is 3 1/2 years old, and because Sony has already put a lot of money into the repairs of this tv. That seemed fair enough to me. I added a few hundred dollars of my own money ( less than the cost of the repair) , and had them send me the KDS55A2020. I got it within a week, and it's a very nice tv.I noticed on the warranty that came with the tv that Sony has extended the warranty on the optical block to 2 years. They also cover the lamp for 1 year, which they didn't do with my other tv. Maybe sony is finally getting it. I don't know what I did that made Sony finally agree to replace my tv, if it was a combination of things, or if I just sent a letter to the right person. In any case, everyone keep on them, and don't settle for anything that doesn't seem fair to you.

Username: Slinke

My blue haze issue took on a very unusual pattern today (see picture below). Also, I wanted to let everybody here know that I put up a web page about this problem here:
http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock

It contains detailed pictures of the optical block with notes. Hopefully, somebody will find it interesting. Don Smylski's post has me even more convinced that this is an overheating issue. The blue LCD panel is the one nearest the lamp. You can see this in the pictures on my web site.

New picture:Upload

Username: Sinclar

Dear Jeanette,

I started having the 'blue blob' problem on my TV 2 weeks ago and that lead me to this website.

After seeing different people deal with Sony with varying degrees of success, I think it would be most beneficial if you could give us a brief step-by-step breakdown of the actions you took, so more people like myself can obtain the satisfactory results you managed to.

Thank you,
Me.

Username: Jskinner

I too would like to know how you did it Jeanette. maybe Sony is softening a bit on this issue. I have the blue blobs with my 3 1/2 year old KF-42WE610. I'm hoping it developes the "road map" problem soon. I agree with Steve Linke in that it has something to do with temperature. My blobs start at the top of the screen and seem to melt down to the middle over a period of a few hours. I took the optical block out to clean it and it was a fairly easy procedure for me but it didn't help the problem.
It seems that our options are:
1. Go round and round with Sony until they replace the part, labor cost about $400.
2. Replace the part yourself, cost about $400.
3. Hope that you develop the road map issue or Sony decides to warranty the blob issue before Sept 30.

Here are some glowing reviews of my TV:
http://www.cnet.com/projection-tvs/sony-kf-42we610/4852-6484_7-2088424 9.html

Lehighton, PA USA

Steve,
I must say I found your latest post most interesting. I have never viewed the inside components of any LCD TV set and to see the breakdown you provided was outstanding. Would I be correct in stating that this problem with the optical block giving blue areas in different areas of the screen is due more to as design fault of the TV more than the failure of the optical block?

My set is still at the Sony service center where the tech explained to me that the optical block contains a gasket the develops leaks after a time
then some type of gas escapes and gets into the LCD area. Do you find his statement accurate?

I am going to place a photo showing my blue area. It has increased in size since I took the photo and it also runs across the whole bottom part of the viewing area but that hard to see on the photo.

I called Sony Service again and was advised to write to Executive Review Committee and see if they will consent to paying more than their half price offer I received originally because of the new Block only having a 90-day guarantee. What happens if it goes again after the 90 days is up. From what I have read it will most likely fail again.

I read somewhere that it looks like these set where design to be treated like a throwaway razor blade.
Use once then discard and buy new. I guess that works fine with folks having loads of cash.

What I find the hardest to deal with is the fact frinds saw my tv and loved it. Now when they come to visit and I have the games on they all asked what is causing the blue area
on your tv? I hate to have to explain it to them and it also stains Sony use to be good name.

I hope I placed the photo below on here correctly so you can see the area of the screen that is turning blue. Remember it has got a bit larger now.
Thank you for your informative post.
Lou
Upload

Bronze Member

Derby, KS

Post Number: 13
The $300 reimbursement check from Sony arrived today. Just wanted to post that as a follow up, since I think this is the first posted partial reimbursement of a self installed optical block. My net out of pocket was $100 (and my time). I see though that Tri State module, where i got my rebuilt unit, has taken a $100 price increase in the past couple weeks.

Lou, unfortunately that is how my set looked when it first started. After almost 1 1/2 years i finally got the roadmap issue. Sony was standing firm on not fixing my set. I called a repair man and was prepared to pay his $105 cost but to my surprise when he arrived he had a direct line to sony service and they gave him an authorization number to cover all expenses. I was really lucky with what happened to me but at the same time i had to watch my tv get worse and worse over that time. Hopefully sony will issue a recall on these models or a class action lawsuit will come up. I just want everyone to know that i'm sorry for what we have been thru and i'm with each and everyone of you in your fight against sony.

Louis,

I think it is possible that the optical block design is fine, but that the cooling strategy is defective. On the other hand, it is possible that the optical block is poorly designed, or that both the optical block and the cooling strategy are defective. It also seems a bit strange that the optics are open to the atmosphere and fans, subjecting them to dust.

I don't know what sorts of things are deep in the interior of the optical block. I had never heard the theory about the mystery gas leaking out through a failed gasket. I guess it is possible. Does anybody else know anything about this?

Username: Dnt1197

NEW YORK USA

I conacted a lawyer in NY that has a class action suit against SONY. My model TV is not in this suit. I have the kdf-42we655. I also had the green/yellow blob on my TV. I paid over $1000 to have the opticl block replaced with the understanding that I would be reimbursed. Well I was just notifed today that my claim was denied. I hope that anyone with this ame problem will contact ths lawyer(212)818-9150 because he is researching this problem and If he heaRS From enough people I am confident that he will take action. I am also making a complaint with my attorney general. I will not just go away and allow this company to take advantage of me.

Username: Poolerw0987

Titusville, Fl USA

For those who might be interested, I'm enclosing a communication I received from a law firm in Ohio:

Mr. Poole - Thank you for contacting us through our website, www.protectingtheconsumer.com. We are close to filing a class action against Sony based on the lamp problems exhibited by these TVs, and are trying to determine whether there is any interest in filing an action based on problems with the optical block. What problems have you experienced with your TV? Have you contacted Sony about the problems you've had with this TV? If so, what was its response?

Barbara Quinn Smith
Maddox Hargett & Caruso
6685 Beta Drive
Cleveland, OH 44143
Phone: 440-605-7297
Fax: 440-848-8175
bqsesq@aol.com

Username: Jp1008

In response to all your questions regarding how I proceeded with Sony to get my optical box replaced at no cost to me, I followed the advice of many others on this website. I sent certified letters to the following complaining about the blue blob problem:

Sir Howard Stringer Sony-CEO
550 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10022

Sony Electronics Executive Review Committee
12451 Gateway Blvd
Fort Meyers, Florida 33913

Good Luck!

Lehighton, PA USA

Can some knowledge person advise me, if I want to move up to another large 40 t0 42 inch Sony screen tv what type and model number could I be sure of that does not contain the infamous optical block or at least one that has been modifieed (new type)if there is such an animal.How does the Flat screen compare with the LCD rear projection models as far as maintance goes?
Many thanks
Lou

Bronze Member

Lou, I have the Sony KDS55A2020 that I got as a replacement for my KF50WE610. The optical block on this set is guaranteed by Sony for 2 years. I don't know if this is an indicator that the optical block is a newer and better version or not. Also my new set is shaped slightly different in the back and seems to have a better fan system in it. Again, I am not sure if this is a design improvement due to the optical block troubles, but the set doesn't get as hot as my other one did. I also have a flat panel LCD tv, the Sharp Aquos LC46D92U Here is a link to that tv. http://bestbuyplasma.com/Plasma/Product.asp_X_Sku_Y_LC46D92U

The picture on this tv is superior to any other tv that I have seen. It blows my Sony away in most aspects. I have only had the Sharp since March of this year, and I have only had the Sony for 3 weeks, so repair issues haven't come up as of yet. If I had to recommend one of them, I would recommend the Sharp over the Sony.

Lou, I guess my first inclination would be to steer you away from any new Sony TV. Based on your own posts from just a couple of weeks ago, Sony only offered to cover half of the cost of your repair, leaving you with a bill of about $600. This is less than they offered many others, and you pretty much stated that you would never buy another Sony. So, unless they are offering a deep discount on a new TV based on your problem, you should probably try another brand.

If you absolutely must buy a Sony, and you are convinced that the optical blocks are the only area where Sony design/manufacturing is deficient, then you should probably go for one of their flat panel LCD models. By definition, these should not have any sort of "optical block." Keep in mind, though, that they will be much more expensive than a rear projection model of a similar size.

Karen Chase's post above is also valuable. A Sharp Aquos LCD flat panel may also be a good option, and perhaps the optical blocks in the newer Sony rear projection sets are better, but I would not count on it. They have been a chronic problem, and there is no evidence that they are improved. Sony's unwillingness to even acknowledge that the blue haze is a defect suggests to me that they simply expect people to buy a new TV every two years. This, combined with their unwillingness to discuss the changes, if any, that have been made to the optical blocks to improve them leads me to be skeptical that the newer models are any better than the older ones.

Username: Nomoresony

El Paso, TX

My Sony Grand Wega KDF60XS955 just started displaying the blue haze a few days ago. It's not yet 2 years old and I have had it repaired twice already. The first time to replace the fan and the second time to repair whatever mechanism instructs the fan to turn on. The blue haze is a new "feature." I will try the customer service route as others have done but my days with Sony are definitely over. My first DVD player was a Sony and it was a lemon - died in 6 months. I won't so much as buy a toaster if it has Sony parts. (The repairman warned me that he sees a lot more Sonys than he used to.)

Username: Kwelch

Savannah, GA USA

I also have hundreds of blue dots and a blue haze on my Grand Wega picture (KDF 55XS95). Sony says we are out of warranty, but now I see the additional coverage link about the optical block. Unfortunately, I don't have lines, but dots and haze. Has anyone thought of uploading all of our pictures to a mass YouTube.com site with a spokesperson to introduce our plight? The narrator could explain how Sony denies knowing about any such problems and we could show a slide show of all of our Sonys blazing with blue dots. We could also mention how much we paid for these TV's and if anyone was contemplating buying one to check out this site. We've got to go for the masses. Sony advertises on YouTube.com; so should we. The buyer has a right to be informed of the facts.

Welland , Ontario Canada

Well, here we are 2 weeks after replacing the optical block. tv works great but monday nite it shut off by itself and the power/standby light was blinking 6 times in intervals of 3 seconds. called the repair guy who is coming this morning to check out the code. i remember reading on this site about sets turning off by themselves so i assume it is some sort of board problem or something equally as expensive as the block problem. wife says to throw it out. anyway i'll let you all know how much more "Juice" this lemon has.

Welland , Ontario Canada

Rob, the service man arrived and checked the problem this morning. says that the tv went into the "overprotect mode". said that it is an internal power supply problem that i should keep an eye on as he may have to order a new board for it should the tv turn off but not come back on. this time i unplugged it, and then plugged it in again basically over riding the "overprotect" situation. i guess if there is a definitive problem then the tv would try to power up but then would shut down due to an internal problem. at that point i would need to call Rob again to replace the power supply board. he assured me that this problem has nothing to do with the optical block problem i experienced before and it was nothing that i did myself. i guess the blessing here is that i am still covered under the extended warranty i purchased so if it goes out then i get it replaced @ no charge.

Username: Gt8225

I wanted to give a status update on my problem:
See original post at:

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1145505#POST1145505

After sending the letter - Paul fom Sony called. Paul was nice and polite, and asked if I had a repair estimate, from a authorized dealer. I did not, so this was the first step.
I was told to get this done, and call him back (Paul - his direct number is 239-768-7513).

So I took the TV to a repair shop, paid $75, and left it for two weeks - they diagnosed it as a "Optical Assemly Replacement". Total cost - $817.99 (in addition to the $75 already paid).

So, I called Paul back - and he then contacted the dealer to confirm that I was not making it up.

Paul called me back, and offered to pay $400 of the repair cost. I asked why Sony would not pay all of it, and why they would pay half for some people, nothing for others, and full price for others; he became not so polite and nice; "This is a one time offer from Sony good through Friday of this week - take it or leave it - Sony does not have to offer you anything - this is a good faith offer".

OK, I took the offer. Sony paid $400 direct to the dealer, leaving me to pay $385.99 (in addition to the $75) already paid.

So, my TV is good as a new "Sony" LCD TV can be now. I am disapointed that Sony did not cover the full cost. I figure it will last 2 to 3 year more if I am lucky. I will not buy Sony products again.

Username: Dwilkers

Thanks to all that have posted and especially those that posted text of their successful communications with Sony.

KDF42WE655 here, blue blob across the bottom started last night. Googled it up and here I am.

I am extremely disappointed in the idea that I payed $2,500 on 5/7/05 for a Sony TV and 2 years later the TV is going bad. I personally wanted a different TV but the wife veto'd in favor of the Sony name and I couldn't really argue with her on that point as we've had years of experience with Sony TV's, audio and other products.

I am even more distressed by the idea that the best case scenario from what I can glean is something like $500 labor and 2 months or more wait to get this $2,500 hunk of junk fixed and then I get to start waiting for it to go bad again. The local service place just quoted me $108.20 for the initial house call, so that's my buy in just to get started with this mess.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, its just that paying $2,500 on a TV was a huge leap for me and I feel really burned by Sony on this.

Thanks again and I'll report back on our progress.

Update...tech came today and replaced optical block. Sony picked up all the charges. I am wondering how long it will last. It has been some time since i have watched this TV like this...i just hope it can last at least the two years it took to get the way it was.

Our letter:

Executive Review Committee
Sony Corporation
12451 Gateway Blvd
Fort Myers, Fl 33913

Re: Sony KDF42WE655 Defective Optical Engine

June 18, 2007

Dear Madam or Sir:

For many years I have confidently purchased Sony products. I am writing to you today to ask for your assistance.

As a loyal Sony customer I purchased a Sony television model # KDF42WE655, serial # 9065416 from XXX's on May 5, 2005 (copy of receipt attachment #1).

It was my first purchase of a HDTV and a huge leap for us to spend that amount of money on a television. We have purchased several other Sony TV's - as well as Sony Surround Sound and other audio components - and have had excellent service from these products. We currently have a 30" Sony Trinitron in another room that is approaching 10 years old and still works beautifully. So when we decided to take the leap and buy a new HDTV we knew what brand we could count on to be good quality and give us the service we were paying for: Sony. When we bought our new 42" Sony LCD we didn't even consider a different manufacturer.

The television worked well for almost exactly 2 years. Then over the last couple of weeks something odd happened. Across the bottom of the screen a blue line or haze developed extending from corner to corner and up the sides a bit. Simple troubleshooting of the attached components demonstrated that the problem was the television itself rather than some other attached component.

We started researching the problem on the internet and quickly learned that many, many others that own this and similar Sony models have the identical or similar problems, apparently caused by a part called the "Optical Engine" which Sony knows is of defective manufacture or design. Sony has issued extended warranty coverage for the Optical Engine's failure until September 30, 2007, albeit for a somewhat different set of symptoms (see attachment #2, Sony statement of Additional Coverage for defects in Optical Blocks).

Obviously the television needs to be replaced or repaired by Sony immediately. This is a known defect in quality, manufacture or design, a defect acknowledged by Sony on a very high priced item sold to me as Sony Quality, not some generic television I decided to buy on the cheap and take my chances with.

I have taken the time and expense to have the problem diagnosed at a local Sony authorized repair shop (see attachment #3, repair estimate parts only). The labor for the replacement will be an additional $250-400 according to the shop, I asked for this estimate to document the diagnosis of the defective Optical Engine only.

When I contacted Sony at the number provided in the TV manual the answering rep named Leo immediately knew what I was talking about and agreed the TV needed a new Optical Engine. He gave me an incident reference #xyz but informed me Sony would not cover the repair.

Since this part is known to be of defective manufacture or design and acknowledged as such by Sony I am asking that Sony cover this known defective part replacement in full - parts and labor - and restore my confidence in the Sony brand.

My experience is that Sony normally manufactures products of the highest possible quality and stands behind their products fully so I look forward to a favorable response from you to this request.

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

Signed

Attachments:

* Purchase Receipt
* Sony Statement of Extended Coverage
* Estimate

copy: Sir Howard Stringer
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Sony Corporation
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Sent USPS Certified Return Receipt 6/18/07

Username: Volvos60

Westlake, La. United States

I bought my KDF55WF655 on 02-06-2005 and I had to replace the lamp 2 months ago.I started having the blue blob issue 2 weeks ago.I found this great site with the help of my good friend,Mr. Google.After reading every post on this subject and then retrieving my records,I found to my suprise I had purchased a 4 year warranty from CC.I had purchased the bulb out of pocket,as I didn't scruntinize my faded receipt very carefully.The eyes and the mind are the first to fail with age,along with a couple of other things.Anyway,I'm saved.BUT,I WILL NO LONGER PURCHASE SONY PRODUCTS.I will be sending Sony's CEO a letter to that fact and start saving for a relacement set 2 years down the road.I will be using this site for reference in any future purchases.It's a shame Sony has let their quality disapate and forced loyal consumers to fight for what's right.

Username: Bfischer24

Add one more... started a few weeks ago. I guess we are lucky... it was almost 3 years to the day the blue blobs started. Sony Model KF50WE610 50" LCD projection Purchased 5-16-04.

What's the next course of action?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Brett, Report the problem to sony customer service to document the problem, and when they won't fix it, contact the Better Business Bureau, Sir Howard Stringer CEO of Sony by certified mail, and the Executive Review Committee of Sony also by certified mail. I had the same model tv as yours, purchased in 2003. I got the roadmap issue, Sony replaced it in December 2006, after I fought them for 2 years over it. Then in March 2007, I got the blobs. Sony repaired that for me, but I was so angry at the way I was treated, and by the amount of times my set broke down that I demanded a new tv. My KF50WE610 had other problems with the speakers and lamp as well. Sony kept denying me, but as soon as the Better Business Bureau intervened, I got my new tv. You have to be persistent, and don't settle for anything that you don't think is fair. I see quite a few people that have settled for less than they deserve.

OK - sent my blue blob letter to the Executive Review Committee. A very nice rep Marlin called me back today to say Sony would be pleased to pay for half of the $936.25 cost to replace the optical engine. I said no and asked if that was their final offer and he said yes, that is what Sony is prepared to do for me. I said no thanks. OK, so what's my next move - sending a copy of my letter to the BBB? I find it unbelievable that a company like Sony is being so inconsistent with this (paying full for some, paying half for others, paying just the part or just the labor for others). BTW, what is the address for the BBB? Thanks to everyone on this board for all your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Here's the link to the Better Business Bureau

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/complaintlink.aspx

If that doesn't work, the site is bbb.org and you'll have to navigate around in there to find the file a complaint section. Just tell them your problem, that Sony is paying in full for the roadmap issue only even though it's the same part that's defective, tell them that Sony is inconsistent with the way they resolve this issue with different people, and tell them that you want your tv repaired for free by Sony. Hope this helps

You know the funny thing is after they "resolve" your issue (even though you're not completely satisfied with the result) is that they send you a customer satifaction survey. They only paid for parts on my optical repair. I wanted them to pay for labor too. They say to e-mail Michael Ehlers, VP of service at sonyservicevp@am.sony.com if I can't give them a 9 or 10 rating. I plan on emailing today. Don't know if any of this will recover my labor cost but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Shirlene, I emailed that guy, and told him my problems with Sony and his assistant got back to me and sent me a 6 month extended warranty for my troubles. It's worth a shot to email him.

Karen, Thanks for the advice. I will do that and let you all know the outcome.

OK so this is new. Or at least, if anyone else got this offer I missed the post.

I received an answer to my letter above, 8 posts upthread. The lady I talked to offered to pay for the part only (we pay for the labor). That would be Sony paying $982.50 and me paying roughly $400.

But I got a further offer. They offered to depreciate my set on 7 years depreciation and contribute the balance to a purchase of a new TV off the Sony Style Website. The offer assumes an exchange, but they may not actually want my old TV - I would find that out later. I would have to buy the TV from the Sony website (no retailer) and pay cash or CC for it.

Depreciating the TV on 7 years means original purchase less 25 months depreciation (2249.99/25 = 669.63 depreciation). Original purchase less depreciation would be 2249.99 - 669.63 = $ 1,580.06.

In other words, they will pay parts only on my repair of $986 or give me an allowance of $ 1,580.06 on a new TV. And they might not even take my old TV although that is part of the agreement.

I have to say, I think that is an extremely fair offer. If I use the $1,500 on a new TV I can buy an extended warranty. And if they decide not to take that TV I could buy a module online and replace it myself and have 2 HDTVs.

Got to talk to the (accountant, home finance boss) wife tonight.

That means they will exchange my 2 year old KDF42WE655 42" HDTV for a 55" KDF-55E2000 almost even. And I'd get a new warranty plus the opportunity to buy an extended warranty.

Sorry, tried to link it but the Sony site only direct links back to the home site. It is at www.sonystyle.com TV & Home Entertainment > Televisions > HDTV Rear Projection > Rear Projection (50" to 80").

Seems to me to be a no-brainer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I got almost the same offer to replace my tv.They'd either replace it with a similar model or they'd give me the prorated credit towards a new set through the website. I did it because that seemed fair to me, and I got to keep my KF50WE610 as Sony doesn't make that model anymore. I promptly sold the KF50WE610 ( as is, and the person was told that it is a defective set out of warranty) , and used the money towards an upgraded set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
David, take a look at the KDS55A2020 It's a little more than the one that you are looking at, but it's a 1080p HDTV versus the 720p. You wouldn't think that there was a difference in the picture, but the difference is huge. My KF50WE610 was replaced with this one, and I'm happy that I spent the extra for it. The picture is awesome.

Great, thanks for the heads up on that Karen.

The next thing for me to do was to ask people here which one I should buy. I really do not want to put a lot of cash out on this if I can avoid it, but OTOH I do most definately not want to get another defective set.

Username: Sony_corpcomm

Additional Service Coverage Information for your TV (blue dot or star pattern on screen)

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=206

2004 Model Year Grand WEGA Televisions:

Models: KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, KDF-60WF655, KDF-55XS955, KDF-60XS955, KF-42WE620, and KF-50WE620.

As technology evolves, Sony continually looks to stand behind the reliability of its televisions. It has come to our attention that a limited number of Grand Wega rear projection televisions (models listed above), after a period of time, exhibit blue dot or star pattern on the screen. Click here (http://esupport.sony.com/EN/info/photos.html)
to see photos of this symptom.

As part of our commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that for any owner of these model televisions who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before August 31, 2007 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block for this specific issue, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for his/her parts and labor expenses. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by January 31, 2008. See claim form (http://esupport.sony.com/EN/info/claim.html)
for complete terms and conditions.

In addition, for any customer who later experiences this issue on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair (parts and labor) at no charge through December 31, 2008. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its authorized servicer network, will endeavor to repair your set within 30 days of your first contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if you are not provided a repair within 30 days, please contact Sony at 888 649-7669.

Wow! It appears that Sony has stepped up and agreed to fully cover the blue haze/spot/blob issue! The Additional Service Coverage announcement seems to be legitimate, and although one can choose whatever username they wish for this forum, Greg Belloni seems to be a first-time poster from Sony Corporate Communications. They even appear to have used one of my pictures of my TV that I posted on my web site as an example of the problem:
http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock

This was a great little grassroots effort by all of the people here, and elsewhere, who fought for the coverage, and it should help many other people, as well as Sony's reputation.

How about my KF-50WE610? It looks like it is excluded, yet I have the exact same blue blow problem!?!?!?

If they don't cover mine, then I am getting even MORE angry!

Unfortunately....

When Sony said they'd "depreciate" my TV for 7 years and give me credit on the purchase of a new TV, they didn't really, you know, mean "depreciate" it literally. I understand what "depreciate" means, as does my wife, an accountant, and although I put the formula wrong in a post upthread I had the end correct.

If Sony was going to "depreciate" my TV based on 7 years - as the lady from the review committe said - that would equal roughly a $ 1,580 credit on a new TV. She also told us to go to the SonyStyle.com website to pick a few acceptable new TVs. We did so.

Unfortunately, we took Sony at its word.

We computed the credit we should receive based on their offer, went to the website and picked a TV based on what we thought we could budget to resolve the problem. We called her back and agreed to do the exchange and gave her models we were interested in. She accepted the deal and said someone from Sony Excahnge would call us back.

Not so fast! they said. Instead they offered us our preferred exchange TV for $700, our secondary TV for $500, and another we had tossed in at $900. All plus tax.

The problem with all that is the original lady had set our expectations at the level that I described above. We were expecting a just about even exchange for our preferred TV, not a $700 expense.

And to make matters worse, the people from Sony exchange (unlike the folks at the exec review) are just nasty and rude. They are bullying thugs, they don't listen, they talk over you while you are attempting to explain what your position is or what you understood, they simply do not care.

They refuse to acknowledge there is any difficulty with the sets, there has never been a problem of manufacture or design, you're lucky Sony is even talking to you at all. The guy even argued about the listed prices on the Sony Style website, which was where the lady at exec review had sent me to chose a TV. What the heck?

Frankly, I was so angry after the way I was treated after being handed off to the Sony Exchange department that I just said "OK, fine, I'll talk to the wife and call you back". At which point the guy says "what if I offered to exchange it for your preferred TV for $500?". At which point I said; "yeah, I'll call you back".

In other words, we'd degenerated into a used car type negotiation. I was supposed to put on an act about what I would offer, blah blah.

So the wife calls them back. She talks about 20 minutes or so, talks to the supervisor, etc. Comes in and tells me we've got the best offer we're going to get. Which may, in fact, be a fair offer (at this point it is difficult for me to tell) but it ISN'T the offer they made to me only a couple days ago, it is a few hundred dollars worse. And she says the Sony supervisor has taken to arguing with her about what the "salvage value" of the set is.

The entire thing makes me sick and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I have for years - decades, honestly - bought Sony brand items with the idea I was buying items on the extreme highest end possible. I was wrong.

After sending my letter to the exec review committee and their immediate, polite and -I thought - reasonable response, I thought people here were being unfair. I was wrong.

After the response I got from the executive review committee I thought Sony was going to be *extremely* fair about addressing the problem. I was wrong.

I don't know what the resolution of our issue is going to be. My wife is absolutely furious with Sony.

I personally wouldn't attempt to bring Sony toilet paper in the house right now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Re:Additional Service Coverage Information for your TV (blue dot or star pattern on screen)

This is rockin' good news! As nearly one of the original posters here--I'm extremely grateful for all the efforts and action by the folks on the Ecoustics forum. I'm convinced our rants, letters, and collaborative efforts here were more than partially responsible for dismounting Sony from their blue blob high horse.

Although I have contacted a local shop for an estimate $1100 minimum (over the phone)--I've yet to have a service guy out. Hopefully this will prove to be a legit service claim for all "blue blob" victims and all those rude and nasty customer service reps will have a bounty of crow to stick in their pipes and smoke.

As more than once at the "supervisor" level I was treated like a piece of manure, I'll be at the front of the line offering them a light of their pipe!

Username: Dnt1197

NEW YORK USA

Don't get your hopes up. I had my T.V. fixed and paid $1200. I filled out the form to be reimbursed for the optical block and the cost of the repair. I did everything the claim form said to do. I sent the form registered mail and 2 day priority so I would get my refund ASAP but...
Two days after they recieved my claim form Sony called me and said they denied my claim because I didn't have the "road map" issue. It seems the blue blob isn't covered. Sony sucks!!!!
P.S.- Anyone watch NASCAR? Dale Jr. just signed a deal with Sony. Someone needs to tell him not to have his name associated with these scam artists.

Savannah, GA USA

Upload

How does this compare to anyone else's blue blob or blue dot issue? Just curious....

Username: Travis_l

TX

Hi Shanon,

This is a new announcement by Sony and now the blue blob is covered. Try resubmitting the new form that's listed on the link. You should be okay.

Bronze Member

@Krista--

That's one of the most impressive blobs yet. Love the Vanna White pose.

You should'nt have any problems getting your repair based on the new service memo.
Good luck

Tsxprss,

It appears that the new "blue spot" additional service coverage from Sony only applies to the 2004 Grand WEGA models. If I am not mistaken, the 2003 models are the KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610, KF-60WE610, KDF-70XBR950, and KDF-60XBR950. And the 2004 models are the KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, KDF-60WF655, KDF-55XS955, KDF-60XS955, KF-42WE620, and KF-50WE620.

I reviewed the list of people with the problem that I compiled from this thread, and I would estimate that about one-fourth of them have 2003 models. This is not a good statistical sampling, but just the fact that several 2003 model owners have reported the same problem makes it a bit strange that Sony limited the additional coverage to the 2004 models.

I will update my web page to reflect this.

I am pretty sure mine is an '03 KF-50WE610. The failure mode is exactly as the '04 owners are finding. Blue haze in lower left, slightly off center and then the left border of screen is getting worse as days progress with blue haze.

I am positive that the "technical problem" is exactly the same with the '03 and '04 models. If Sony is "writing off" the '03 owners since ours are a year older, then I am even more upset with Sony. My TV is only 3.5 years old.

I don't have any interest in anything less than complete repair at no cost to me. I can't even get a local tech to come and fix the thing at my house without the risk of not getting reimbursed from Sony. I won't risk it. I'll just toss it and buy a Mitsubishi or Samsung for $2K with an extended warranty this time. For about $1K more than repair, I'll get 57" 1080P, and the satification of not spending a $1 on Sony repair parts............

Username: Edenney

I have a Sony KDF-55WF655. I admittedly keep the TV on 24/7 so take that into account when I mention the frequency of my problems. This was my first projection TV and I wasn't aware of the problems with the Optical block, or the frequency with which the lamps have to be replaced, nor their cost, or I would have of course have purchased the maximum possible extended warranty.

My first problem came about 11 months into ownership, still under warranty. TV started turning off and on frequently and the red light was flashing. Replaced the lamp under warranty (about $400 normally) and that fixed the problem. A couple weeks later, just a week or so before the 1 year full warranty expiration, I started noticing the "blue blob". It began as a horizontal line across the bottom left corner of the screen and started to progress from there pretty rapidly over the next few days. Called Sony for warranty service and the repairman that came out replaced the Optical bock. He told me it was around $1500, about 2/3 the cost of the TV at the time I bought it, so I was thankful it was under warranty and was very hopeful that this wasn't a regular, recurring problem like the lamps.

Fast forward almost exactly 1 year again and once again the lamp goes. Some simple math indicates that 24/7 x 11+ months works out to around 8000 hours per year, which is exactly the high end estimate for the lamp life so this isn't unexpected, but never the less sure hurts the pocket book at $400+ per pop. Now I know the model # and how to do it myself so I won't pay the labor in the future.

Once again, just a few weeks after the second lamp went, the blue blob started to appear again. Same M.O., started in the bottom left and quickly progressed until almost the entire TV is covered about 3 weeks later. Most of the TV has a light blue film covering it at this point, but the bottom left has a thick, deep blue that's always visible no matter what color is on the screen.

This was just 1 WEEK past the two year mark. At the time I didn't realize there was a 2 year warranty on the Optical Block or I might have been even more frustrated than I already was. The TV was essentially worthless at this point, who the hell would want to buy a 2 year old TV, out of warranty, that needs a $1500 replacement part, when you can buy a 55" Sony KDS-55A2020 for about $1750 brand new and under warranty!?!? Over the next couple weeks I discovered that the warranty on the Optical block was actually 2 years and I was really ticked off. However, on the KDF series they called it the "color picture tube" on the warranty card (which of course these TVs don't have a picture tube) even though other similar model warranty cards called it the Optical block. That incorrect verbage probably would have led to another battle with Sony if I HAD been within the 2 year warranty period instead of a week or two outside of it.

Not sure yet I what I was going to do with the TV, only knowing that I was totally screwed, I went ahead and ordered a brand new 60" Sony KDS-60A2020 for about $2250 delivered. That was about 2 weeks ago, and the TV is already in the hands of the shipping company and probably on the west coast by now. Then yesterday as I'm still researching the problem and trying to figure out what I'm going to do, lo and behold I discover a new announcement on Sony's website to owners of my model TV, that there is a problem with the Optical Block whereby the so-called "blue dots" or "star pattern" as they call it (I think blue blob is more appropriate) will appear on the TV and the Optical block has to be replaced. They say they will reimburse everyone that has paid out of pocket expenses to anyone who has had to replace an Optical Block with this problem, and in the future will cover it outright. So now I'm stuck with a TV on the way for which at a minimum I'm going to have to pay the shipping charges for, but at least I don't have to pay $2K+ for a TV that I really didn't need to begin with.

Unfortunately, Sony is only covering the replacement of the Optical Blocks through Dec. 31 2008, so I guess they're asserting that the life span of my $2500 TV is supposed to be 3 years (I bought it in mid 2005, not 2004). Oh well, at least I get my TV fixed, and when the problem occurs again a year from now it'll get fixed for free again, then I'll sell it around the end of 2008 I guess.

Other than the $400 lamps and the $1500 Optical Blocks which have have to be replaced every year, it's been a good TV :-). Of course that's like asking: "Other than that, how did like the play Mrs. Lincoln?". Seriously though, this is such BS, how could a company that big roll out an entire line of TVs with a problem this big, so expensive that each repair is practically the cost of the entire TV? FYI, my house was brand new when I bought it in 2000, it's cleaned regularly, and I don't live in a dusty area, so there is certainly no more than an average amount of dust in my house and more likely far less than average. There has also never been so much as a puff taken off a cigarette in my house. In any event, if $1500 Optical Blocks fail from mere dust or smoke that's still unacceptable. I don't recall seeing a huge disclaimer saying that people who live in dry climates, or bar owners looking for a TV for their establishment, should not purchase these TVs.

Username: 39791

How do I determine the year and month the set was made?

Username: Jilldrzewiecki

Chicago

This is great news! Kudos to everyone for your persistence and hard work.

Here's a picture of my "blue blob", which started in the bottom left and has all but consumed the entire screen over the last 3 weeks or so. The bottom left corner is the worst still, it's almost solid blue no matter what I'm watching, but the color of the rest of the screen is just substantially altered by a blue film over whatever I'm watching.

This picture was taken against what would normally be a gray background that my cable box generates when I pause the picture for over a minute. All that remains of the color that you SHOULD see, is the small sections of gray in the upper left and right corners.

This is the second time in 2 years I've had this problem, but I haven't seen anything like the "star" pattern that Sony mentions on their web page.

Upload
Upload

Username: Andrewr

New Jersey

KDF46E2000
No blue blob yet.

Purchased my TV back in April 07.

While watching an HD channel the picture is great.

When I play a DVD the picture is not that clear, grainy and generally not great.

On my previous TV, 32" regular JVC, the DVD picture was incredibly clear and amazing.

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks.

Does anybody know definitively if the new optical blocks that are being installed have been altered or improved to eliminate the infamous "blue blob" issue? The one that was installed 12 months ago when I first had the problem, which was also 12 months after I first bought the TV, clearly was no better than the one that came with the TV since they each lasted almost exactly 12 months.

Even without having to pay to have the optical block replaced, it's still a pain in the butt having to go through this every year, in addition to having to replace the lamp every 11 months or so. It's bad enough that I have to pay a couple hundred bucks every year just for the lamp, assuming I install it myself and save the couple hundred they charge for the 10 minute installation.

I'm also disgusted that Sony is only willing to replace them through Dec. 31, 2008, a mere 3.5 years after I bought my TV, when they know FULL WELL that the part is horribly defective. Would any of you spend $3,000 for a new TV if the manufacturer told you the life expectancy was only 3.5 years?

Plus, when people have been awarded a trade in value for their TV as a resolution to this issue, Sony depreciated their TV based on a minimum 7 year lifespan, so clearly they're asserting that the TV should last at least 7 years before it is completely devalued. That just doesn't jive with the Dec. 31, 2008 deadline they have set for replacement of the Optical Block.

Bronze Member

Derby, KS

Post Number: 14
I think it's very safe to say, that anybody that thinks that Sony went back to the drawing board on this part to make it better is wishful thinking. Consumer electronics companies (and many others) don't do that any more...short design/life cycles, short testing cycles, lean manufacturing..they're down the road working on something else....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I got a replacement offer or what Sony calls a "swap out" for my tv. Sony told me that they were depreciating it for the 3.5 years that I owned the tv. I asked them to depreciate it for 1.5 years since I had no acceptable use of the set for the 2 years that I was fighting them over the optical block issue. They told me that they couldn't do that because Sony had already sunk a lot of money into my tv by replacing 2 optical blocks, a lamp, and repairing the speakers. They never said that they were depreciating the tv for 7 years. The amount of money I got from them towards a new tv was actually more than the new model similar set was selling for on the Sony website. I paid more to upgrade my set. I have heard some others say they got a seven year depreciation rate. I have no idea where Sony came up with that figure. It seems very random.

Username: Along4the_ride

Suisun City, CA United States

You ALL need to be commended for the hard work and persistance exhibited in this blog. I literally stumbled accross the blog while searching the net for Sony 42" Grand Wega + blue stars, Up pops the epinions blog and it is huge. Look how you were able to force Sony's bluff and make them act honorably. Without all the efforts, hundreds of customers would have been shafted. Kudos, Cheers and all that jazz. How can we let the rest of the world know?

I forgot to mention that I called Sony Wednesday afternoon, got my Event ID number and was instructed to call a Sony authorized repair facility. Done! The repairman was here today, diagnosed the problem as covered under the service agreement extension, ordered the parts and will install as soon as they arrive. Thanks to all of you. This is the one good thing that my wife and I have had go our way in a looooooooooong time. Bless you all!

Username: Holmesmic

VA

While I am happy some Sony-victims have been been or will be reimbursed for their expenses...this is NOT the case for me.

I purchased my set in August of 2004. By pure dumb-luck, I received a 2003 model. It sure wasn't because I got a great deal on an 'older' model...I paid $2900 (+tax) for my KF50WE610.

Eventhough my set is having the EXACT problem covered under the "additional service coverage" my set is inexplicably not covered because it is apparently a 2003 model.

When I contacted Sony for explanation they said I should call their authorized rep to see if the defect would be covered. OK. I called their one authorized rep in the ara and was told "well if on the website it doesn't include your model, then you are clearly not covered." In addition I was told they would have to bring my set to their shop for diagnosis which will take a MINIMUM of 10-14 days for diagnostic work. 10-14 days to tell me my set has "blue blobs??" Turn it on, you can see they engulf half the screen!

Long story short, I was momentarily excited that Sony was FINALLY stepping up to the plate to cover their DEFECTIVE product, but sadly I was let down by Sony...again.

Our set it still somewhat viewable but we are in the market for a new one. Any quess as to what brand (in TV's or anything, for that matter) we will NEVER purchase again?!

Username: Volvos60

Westlake, La. United States

Michelle,
The 14 day diagnostic was total bullsh*** as the warranty guy came to my house,turned the set on,saw it,wrote down the serial number to order the part and was gone in 10 minutes.When the optical block comes in,he'll have to take it to his shop to repair for 1 day.I had an extended warranty,but I will boycott Sony products.
If you want to apply additional pressure,Dale Earnhart Jr. will be driving a Sony sponsored car in Nascar next year and emails to his website might inform his fans of this dastardly deed.Good luck

Michelle,

I would definitely keep after them. In addition to the overwhelming evidence that this is the same problem that everyone else is experiencing with 2004 and 2005 model TVs (perhaps even 2006 as well?), the lifespan of their TVs is definitely not supposed to be 3 or 4 years for these $3,000 TVs.

If your TV is a 2003, which means you could have easily purchased it in 2003 or 2004, that only puts you 3.5 to 4 years out from your purchase as of today (don't know how long ago your problem started). Sony has repeatedly asserted that the lifespan of their TVs is AT LEAST 7 years since that's the figure they've used over and over when offering a trade-in depreciation value for people that have had this problem.

Between the evidence that you have the exact same problem, the fact that Sony has stepped up to repair everyone else's Optical blocks through Dec. 31 2008, and the self proclaimed minimum 7 year life-span of their TVs, you've got a very solid case. If Sony will not offer you an acceptable resolution for this, then I would take them to small claims court.

Not only are the odds VERY good that you'll win your case, but more than likely they'll offer you a settlement of some fashion before it gets that far. It's a pain for them to have to go to court and it's bad publicity for them and only draws more attention to this WELL known and WELL documented problem with their projection TVs, not to mention the pathetic way that they've handled it. If you do actually go to court, it will only cost you the tiny fee for filing since you represent yourself in small claims, and as I said, you'll almost certainly win.

If you've never been to small claims don't worry it's a breeze and very informal (although you still have to be respectful to the judge). It's structured specifically for the average everyday person who isn't a lawyer, and most of the time it's about common sense unlike your typical jury trial.

You just bring bring your receipt, as much documentation as you can get about this problem including the new notice on Sony's website, and documentation showing that Sony has offered many people with this issue a depreciated value for their TV based on a 7 year minimum lifespan (which means that your TV should at least still be worth something). If you have documentation showing when your problem started that's important because that's really when your TV's depreciated value should be based on, not the date that you actually walk into court.

You should also get signed affidavits (sp?) if possible from people who have had this same problem and have had it resolved by Sony in so many various ways, showing that Sony has been anything but consistent in their handling of this issue.

Like I said, if Sony thinks you're serious and are actually going to take them to court, which might require actually filing in small claims (around $35 I think?), they'll probably just settle with you since they KNOW your TV has the same problem as all the others they're already paying so much money to fix. But if you do go to court you'll probably either get them to repair it for free, or will probably get about half the price you paid for the TV based on the 7 year depreciation.

With $1500 or so you can turn around and buy a brand new 50" TV at todays prices. Needless to say, regardless of which brand you buy next time, be sure to get the maximum extended warranty with it if it's a projection, plasma, or LCD TV. If you don't buy extended warranties for anything else, ALWAYS buy them for big screen TVs, especially projection, they're guaranteed to pay dividends for years to come.

Username: Cj8718

Walla Walla, WA Walla Walla

After dragging my folks 2004 KF-42WE610 an hour to the recommended service center, Sony tells me it's NOT covered for the blue blob issue. Although it's the correct year and it's a Grand Wega with that exact issue, no dice.

They won't say why other than it's not on the list.

I'm livid.

Username: Cheryljean

In December, 2005, I purchased a Sony LCD Rear Projection TV, model KDFE42A10. Although this TV is barely 18 months old, and during that short life it has only been used about 11 months for various reasons, it recently began having picture problems. Yesterday, an in-home service call was performed by Qualxserv, the repair provider suggested by Sony tech support, and on their website, when I called them on Tuesday and established an event number regarding the problem. Qualxserv diagnosed the problem as "road mapping", and the technician immediately called Sony direct to obtain authorization for repairs for an optical block assembly. Qualxserv said Sony would pay for the total cost, inclduing labor, and service call. When Sony had not called him back after about 20 minutes, Qualxserv said he would call me back after he heard from Sony, and he then left.

About two hours later I received a message from Qualxserv service department regarding the cost of repairs. After reading the above postings on this thread this morning(thank you everyone!), I returned Qualxserv's call and was told that Sony tech support told them it was impossible for this model TV to have road mapping. When questioned about this statement, Qualxserv could only repeat what Sony had told them. Sony tech support further told Qualxserv that my TV's problem could be repaired by removing and reinstalling a new "b block assembly", part #A1167541A, but at my expense since the TV was out of warranty and I did not have an extended service contract. I did not buy such a contract because I have many years of repair free service from other Sony TV's I have owned. I had mistakenly assumed that Sony still had a good quality control and customer service reputation.

When Qualxserv told me the repairs would be $840.45 for the part/tax, and $439.00 for labor/Thursday's service call, for my total cost of $1279.45 (which is 2/3 of the original cost of the TV, and only 11 out of 18 months use)I told them I would contact Sony before I had the repairs done.

I called Sony, and after politely voicing my displeasure at such a high repair cost for such a new TV with so little use, I was finally transferred to the Second Level of customer support.I again repeated my displeasure, and I was offered a 50% discount on the total cost of repairs. I was somewhat happy with this offer; however I remembered the posting to this thread by Jan T on March 30, 2007(thank you, Jan!)She had had the exact same part replaced in the exact same TV model which was three months out of warranty. In her case Sony paid the entire cost of the part and she paid the labor. I pointed this out to the Sony rep and he said that possibly her TV problems were not the same as mine. I told him that I felt that in the other customer's situation it was still Sony replacing the same part in the same TV, shortly out of warranty. Sony's offer to me compared to hers was about $200 less that what they offered her, and all I was asking for was to receive the same service they had given her.

After reading in this thread how Sony is so inconsistent in the way they treat their customers, I was not surprised that he repeated his offer which is good for thirty days. I told him I was still unhappy and asked to speak to someone with more authority than he has. He told me the next step was to write a letter to the Executive Review Committee explaining my concerns and gave me the address. I will send this letter via certified mail, return receipt, as suggested in the above postings. If the resolution is for anything less than what Jan received I will also contact the Better Business Bureau about not receiving equal treatment from Sony, in addition to comments about such poor quality in such an expensive product. And I will never buy another sony product! If Sony ultimately offers me what they offered Jan, I will still contact the BBB in regards to poor quality in such a new, barely used, expensive product requiring exhorbantly high cost of repairs. If Sony miraculously offers full coverage, the BBB will never hear from me. Stay tuned, but not on a Sony!

Chris,

You might want to do just as Eric suggested Michelle should. Small claims is a great way to go, the best part is that Sony might not even show for the hearing, earning you a victory by default. I suppose if you live in a large metropolitan area, they'd be more likely to appear than if you are from a smaller rural or suburban location. The other thing is that you have this entire blog to use as a point of reference and as evidencs for the judge. It's a wealth of information complete with photographs, names, addresses and the like making for less research time for you. Don't forget to put Sony on the hook for the court costs you'll pay up front . Consider asking for punitive damages to cover your losses such as travel time and expense to the repair facility and for not being able to use the TV for "X" amount of time which is your reasonable expectation when spending big bucks for a fancy TV. Contact nolo.com (a legal information and referral website for the general public). Moreover, good luck!

Paul

Yeah, Nolo.com is a good website for preparing for a small claims case, they also have a book that people have been using for years before the site existed. There's an awesome legal advice radio show on KFI AM 640 on Saturday mornings called "Handel on the Law" hosted by Bill Handel, he's been reccommending the book for many years to anyone who has a case for small claims, or to anyone can't afford a lawyer and needs to do it themselves in Superior Court.

Like Paul said, there's a very high likelihood that Sony wouldn't even bother showing up in small claims, especially in the rural areas, which is also why I said it's very likely they'd just settle before that happens so they don't have to bother going to court or losing by default and giving you everything you asked for in court.

This advice goes for anyone else out there that has one of the problematic models that Sony has decided isn't covered. The problem is so well documented here on this site that it's pretty much a slam dunk case in small claims court. Not to mention that judges tend to favor the average Joe over the large corporations in small claims (although justice really shouldn't favor anyone). If anyone out there has the "blob" problem or the "roadmap" issue with their Sony projection TV, regardless of the model, I definitely reccommend this route after you've exhausted the other options.

My Optical Block is supposed to get replaced this upcoming week, the part came in yesterday. Can't wait to use my TV again without the entire screen being a shade of blue. The bottom left corner of the screen is REALLY bad at this point, but the entire screen is affected to some degree.

Username: Holmesmic

VA

Yesterday I received a "Private Message" from someone (on this forum) purporting to be a Sony executive. He instructed that I email him and courtesy copy his colleague with my information because he'd have someone contact me concerning the issues my set is experiencing. (I noted his account was JUST activated yesterday...apparently just before PM'ing me.)

In the PM, this person asked that his information be kept private. I'm not going to post his name because I honestly don't know if the message is true. It does appear (to this novice) to be authentic.

I just wanted to put the information out there that SOMEONE is contacting people "behind the scenes" for information. If it was in fact, a Sony representative, then I suppose I've shot myself in the foot. I'm okay with that! I've already written this 50" piece of junk off as a waste. As my previous post indicated, the set is still viewable (with moderate annoyance) but we are in the market for a new set. I will never consider purchasing a Sony product again knowing that they do not stand firmly behind their products. This coming from a customer who ONLY purchased Sony products in the past. A customer that fought with my hubby over purchasing this set in lieu of the comparable Samsung...because of Sony's heretofore 'excellent quality.'

If this man who contacted me (whom I am not responding to...this will be my only communication) truly is a Sony executive, my advice is this:

If Sony wants to earn this customer back then Sony should step up to the plate and acknowledge their defective product and include the model number of EVERY TELEVISION that housed this OBVIOUSLY defective optical block under the additional service coverage.

Thanks for letting me vent. I will step off my soapbox now. :-)

Good for you Michelle, well spoken. Thanks for letting the rest of us know that someone contacted you. If that person is for real, and they are in a position to do something about this problem, then they should post contact information where they can be reached by anyone on this form that is having problems with the Optical Block.

It should be obvious to anyone at Sony that might be reading this forum, that we have a genuine, extremely well documented problem, and we're only seeking a reasonable resolution to this issue. Nobody's trying to gouge Sony or get something for nothing, we simply want our rather expensive, high definition televisions to work the way they're supposed to, and for as long as we should reasonably expect them to (certainly at least 7 years with occasional lamp changes), and to live up to the reputation that Sony has built over the years. Sadly, they've failed miserably in that respect.

Like many others here, I've been a loyal Sony customer my entire life. I have a plethora of Sony A/V equipment spread out over my house, at least $10-$15K worth, and every single piece is Sony without exception. My recent experiences with their TVs and their DVD players has all but turned me off of Sony for good.

In addition to the documented problems with my KDF-55WF655 in this forum, my Sony KLV-23M1 is also is in the shop with a somewhat similar issue. Furthermore, I've had 3 Sony DVD players break in the last few years, each of them with barely any usage (less than 10 movies watched on each one). On top of that, I recently discovered my 400 Disc Sony DVD changer has a well documented problem whereby it viciously scratches your DVDs, rendering them permanently unusable.

It remains to be seen how many of my DVDs it has ruined since I have to remove each and every one to inspect it, but I've found several so far that have the notorious "crescent shaped scratches" after they failed to play. It's one thing when your $700 piece of Sony equipment isn't working properly, it another thing entirely when it ruins $6000+ worth of DVDs.

I guess that's enough venting for me, I too will get off of my soapbox now :-).

P.S. GET WITH IT SONY!

Update on KDFE42A10 needing new b block

I tried to upload a picture of the problem but don't have the appropriate software to reduce it to acceptable size.

I just found in the archives a picture of the problem. If you are interested, go to February 24, 2007, and see the posting by Vijaykumar Pannirselvam. Thank you Vijaykumar!

This is now three owners I have found with the same problem. Hopefully, b blocks are not going the way of the optical engines! Repair costs are very similar!

Username: Mirzo

I have KDF-55XS955 2004 model Sony LCD Projection TV. My problem is little bit different but after reading this forum I thought I might try to ask for help. My TV turned off itself yesterday. I have reset DirecTV reciever and turned on tv again and it worked. TV turned off again today and I can not turned it back on. Power/Standby indicator flashes first green and then red.Lamp indicator does not flashes at all. I am not sure what it could be and I thought if it is Lamp problem then indicator should flash. I do not hear usually noisy fan at all. I have purchased this TV in December of 2004. I can not belive that 2 1/2 years old TV could go bad just like that. After reading this forum I am not so sure any more. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Username: Cfiori

Redwood City, CA

I have been following this forum for a while now but I have never posted before even though I have been suffering from the blue dot/star/blob problem since last October on my KDF-55WF655. I thought that I might share with everyone what my TV looks like now after 10 months of the problem getting progressively worse. Also, I thought that you all might be interested to know my experience so far with the local "authorized" sony servicer that I was referred to after contacting sony support about my issue and referencing the service bulletin posted on the sony support site on 6/23/07.

I am located in the San Francisco area and I was referred to an authorized servicer located in Alameda and one in Santa Clara. I called the Santa Clara servicer first as they are geographically closet to my home and of course they had no clue what I was talking about. They had never heard of this service bulletin before, which I guess is understandable since it is a fairly new bulletin. To keep a long story short the lady that I spoke with wanted me to fax all kind of documentation to her before she would even think about making an appt to have someone come out and take a look and then she said that if everything checked out that maybe in 2-3 weeks she could have a technician come out to verify the issue. Needless to say I kindly said thanks and decided to call the other "authorized" servicer located in Alameda. The lady I spoke with there also had not heard of this latest service bulletin but she was at least more interested in helping. She told me that she would first call her sony internal support contact to ask about this latest service bulletin and she promptly called me back saying that she had been provided several photos from sony support. One that showed the issue covered in the service bulletin and 4 that were not covered in the service bulletin. So, I took the photos seen below and quickly sent them over to this person. After waiting two days to hear back I decided to call and she told me that she had to send the photos that I provided onto her sony support contact to verify that my problem was indeed covered by the service bulletin. Maybe it's just me but when I look at my photos and then read the service bulletin, especially where it says blue star and blue dot, it seems to me that this one is a no brainer. In any event, I am currently awaiting this "authorized" servicer to call me back to verify that my problem is in fact covered by the service bulletin, which she said would take another couple of days. Anyway have a look at the photos below and decide for yourself if I in fact have the blue dot/star issue.

Upload

Upload

Savannah, GA USA

C. Fiori- Welcome! It looks just like mine! I know what everyone says when they say they feel like they found their "long lost relative!" Our sets could be twins! Please keep us posted.

Username: Tiffany7

I am frightened by what I am reading on this message board. I purchased the Sony Wega model number KDSR60XBR1 from the Fresno, Calif Circuit City in April of 2006 for $4000 and have over the past few months been experiencing a large yellow spot in the right bottom corner of my screen after 30 minutes of play time. After 30 minutes the yellow spot begins to stretch across the bottom of my screen. I phoned Sony and they gave me a number to a local t.v tech who immediately said he could not help me and passed me to a local Sony authorized technician. When I phoned they were very polite and with the information given over the phone thought it might be the engine light and have ordered the part and will be out on 7/9/2007 to take the t.v in and replace this part. I was nervous about them taking the t.v to begin with, and now I am even more concerned. I will be mentioning to the tech who comes to the house that I have read this message board and will be asking about the circuit board many of you have discussed on here. I have already purchased the extended 2yr warranty (I know I got ripped off) from Circuit City and will be covered for the next year but will be considering buying a few more years from Sony. I will make sure to post the outcome of the service I receive and whether or not this resolved the problem.

L. Smith,

The failure you're experiencing is certainly the Optical Block (AKA the light engine), so your part that's failing is the same part that the vast majority of the people in this forum are talking about. Depending on the model of the TV, the color that appears my differ, but in most cases it's blue. However there have certainly been reports of pink or yellow blotches/blobs. Regardless, it's all related to the same problem and definitely the same defective part.

I never advocate purchasing extended warranties, I think they're a huge ripoff and merely justifying the manufacturing of substandard equipment, but when it comes to large, high end projection/LCD/Plasma TVs (ESPECIALLY Sony), extended warranties are an absolute must in my opinion. That's an awful big piece of junk to have in your room when you find out it costs almost as much to replace a single part as it would to buy a new TV with a warranty. So, be sure to purchase the maximum extended warranty you can for your TV before your current one expires.

I learned this lesson a tiny bit too late with my TV, since my first Optical block failed just a few days before the 1 year warranty, and by the time they repaired it and told me how expensive the part was, I was past the 1 year mark and unable to buy an extended warranty. As I posted recently, my 2nd optical block failed about a week past the 2 year mark (2 years being the warranty period for the Optical Block). Thankfully, 2 weeks later Sony finally decided to pay for replacement Optical blocks for anyone with this problem through Dec. 31, 2008 or I myself would be stuck with a TV that nobody in their right mind would want to buy (unless they own a Sony repair facility) since it's in need of a $1500 repair. I can buy an equivalent 55" new Sony for about $1750, so I would be insane to have paid for that repair.

Welland , Ontario Canada

well i hd my power board replaced last tuesday after waiting for the part to arrive [2 weeks] my tech guy came out and had it all up and running again in no time. tuesday nite the better half calls me at my mom's and tells me the TV quit. she asked me what to do and i asked how many times the red led was flashing. six she replied. well how do you like that. the same problem. called the tech guy who says "what the????? now i'm waiting for him to show again for the same problem it seems. i did unplug and then reconnected about 10 minutes later and it came back on. then last night it quit again so i did the same thing. tech guy says that it will get progressively worse & at some will not re-boot to power up. so now i await in anticipation of not having anything. i guess sony makes bad parts and sells them until inventory runs out. no updates in this board it seems. i did clarify with him that the optical block replacement he put in was done with a fan upgrade which seems to be the cause of the block failure du to overheating. keep you posted on this latest repair.

We went ahead and accepted Sony's offer of an "exchange".

Its not really an exchange because they don't want the old TV, and its also not a 7 year depreciation as they originally said.

However, it gets us in a brand new TV that is larger and higher end (50" & 1080p) for an outlay of $500 +tax.

We'll have it in a few weeks. I'll post back with some more thoughts at that time.

I am so grateful for our host and everyone that has posted here. If it weren't for this forum I'd be out $1,500.

Username: Rocky22

I Have a Sony KF-60WE610 LCD T.V. I purchased in February of 2004. In the past couple of months I have been experiencing the "blue blob" as it is called. I read just about every post on here and then got to work on my own case. I called the Sony 1-800 number and got a guy, that after I explained exactly what the problem was he said it would be covered. I even told him it was the Blue blob problem and not the road mapping and again said it would be covered. He gave me the number to the authorized repair shop in my area and I asked one more time "are you sure it's covered" and he again said "yes" I called and the lady knew exactly what I was talking about and said she had to get the authorization from Sony before they could fix it. Guess what! who ever she contacted said it was not covered. So now I'm on to righting a letter to Sony and will be contacting the BBB in my area today. What I don't understand is the repair guy said that my problem is caused by a bad Optical Block and so are the other problems outlined in the extended warranty memo on the website. Why are they excluding the ones with the blue blob? I'll report back as I get more news

Brian

Update: KDFE42A10 needing new b block

David: I now find myself in the same position as you with an offer for an "exchange". What model did you decide on?

My first offer (see several threads up, June 30, for this experience)from Sony's second level of customer support is for Sony paying 50% of the repair bill. This 30 day offer amounts to approximately $640, which is less than the cost of the part itself.

Last Saturday I mailed a letter to the Executive Review Committee, and yesterday afternoon received a message from Paul on behalf of the ERC. I returned his call this AM, and the offer from the ERC is for an "exchange." I am to go to sonystyle.com, and pick out 2-3 TV's I would consider using in this offer. Then I need to go to my local Sony dealer and narrow it down to one TV. Next, I have to call Paul and give him the model# of that TV. He will then send the info on to Sony Exchange. I will receive a call from SE telling me how much I can then pay for that TV.

I got Paul to agree that I now have two offers to choose from, and his offer expires when the first one does.

I will go "shopping" this weekend, and then further pursue this on Monday. When I am contacted by SE I will post the offer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us