Using a Korean TV stuck on Air - Can a VCR save me?

Username: Xavyay

Post Number: 1
So I have a little problem and I'm hoping somebody with more hifi experience can help me out. I recently purchased my very first television on craigslist, at the whopping price of $9 (about 24", I was happy). As the topic title indicates, there is one small quirk: the TV is an "Anam" brand, straight from Korea. I plugged it into cable, but it's currently set to "On Air", meaning I only get broadcast channels, not actual cable. I don't have the remote control for the TV, and after messing around with the buttons and an online Korean-English dictionary for multiple hours, I'm pretty sure I can't switch it to cable mode.
So here's my question: If I were to buy a cheap VCR (they go for 5-10 bucks used online), could I connect the VCR to the cable, and watch all the cable channels by switching to video imput on the television? Alternately, is there a surefire way to change the Anam from air to cable with a universal remote control?
Any help is very appreciated.
Eric Kiechle

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3485
Call One For All and see if they have codes for that TV. I've never found anything that they don't have codes for, but you never know. You might want to ask if they have advanced functions too, just to be sure the menus will work. The 8910 is a great remote that's telephone upgradeable. It's operated everything for me after being upgraded.
330-405-8616

Username: Xavyay

Post Number: 2
Thanks David. I did check out OFA's remotes and they seem good. However, I checked out several manuals for the remotes, and none of them seem to have a button to switch from air to cable. Lots of them do have menu keys, but again, I don't speak any Korean so reaching the main menu wouldn't help me. I need something that can do it directly. That being said, I did submit a request to AFO, maybe they can help me out.
In the mean time, do you know if I could use a vcr to change the signal from air to cable and view the cable on TV through the vcr?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3486
You could use a VCR. The antenna/cable select is usually in the menus. If you could get into the menus, you might be able to change the language to English.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us