Samsung DLP HL-S5086W....Color to B/W...to Color to B/W

Username: Tvrotsbrains

Post Number: 1
Hi. I'm a first time poster, so bear with me a few. I have called Samsung MANY times about the problem I am having and they DO NOT know what is happening. I bought the set in February or March of 2007 and was happy for a brief moment. Then, the picture went from color to black and white and then back to color. It would be color for say...the first 30 minutes, then go black and white for a few seconds (sometimes a full 60 sec.). I called and they sent a tech guy my home and the replaced the entire back board...the board with the S-Video, RCA, DVI, etc. and for about a day or two it worked okay. Then, back to color and then black and white for a while, etc. So, I called again, and they sent a tech out again and they found nothing wrong with the set. The tech guy told me that it was an issue with my DirectTV box. I have an old box...probably 10-15 years maybe, anyway, it worked fine on my previous TVs...Tube, Rear Projection, etc...none of these issues were present with those TVs. So, I started thinking and decided to swap out receivers with my father who also has DirectTV and also has a Samsung LCD. Well, my father has NOT had any problems with his going black and white after a while, however, with his receiver...same kind of receiver, got at the same time...about 10 or so years...I am also having the problem again with my TV. So, that makes two different RCA/DirectTV receivers, causing the same problem. However, the problem does not happen on his TV. Now, I have a father-in-law who is also a DirectTV user and he has a "newer" receiver...probably put out in April of 2006. We swapped with him and have NOT had one problem with it going to black and white. Samsung, when called again by me, reports that they have NEVER heard of such a thing. Their advice was to get myself an upgraded DirectTV receiver. I guess the point I"m trying to get across is why is this happening? Why do I need to get a new one and why is this one not seeming to work on my TV?

Any thoughts or suggestions woudl be great and very much appreciated.

Username: Tvrotsbrains

Post Number: 4
Also, I've used different s-video cables to try and eliminate that possiblity. Again, it only does it on the older style receivers from Direct TV...not on the new one that I've borrowed from my father in law. I have a feeling that it is the Direct TV receiver and that I just need a new one. However, why is this the case? Why didn't anyone tell me of this problem? Why does it work fine on my dad's Samsung LCD for he has not had any problem with either "old" receivers turing black and white occasionally.

Peace
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us