Component Video

Username: Jonnycage

Chennai, Tamilnadu India

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I got a new philips 29in HD ready tv, the model is 29PT8836 and i own a sony DVD home theatre too.the problem is when i connect my componet video cable to the y pb pr sockets of the tv(marked HD) from the y pb pr of the dvd player, i get a picture when i play it in progressive mode but not in interlaces mode (these controls are on the DVD player remote), but when i connect the same cable to y pb pr of the tv (marked component video in) from the same output i do not get a picture in progressive mode but i get it in interlaced mode, why is that. all i want is to play componet video in progressive mode.

Bronze Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 31
Use the component inputs and select progressive from your DVD menu.

Chennai, Tamilnadu India

Post Number: 2
I checked it pal, i connected the DVD player to my Tv's component video input, ie ypbpr, selected progressive scan on my DVD player,but i got no picture, but with the same connection in interlaced mode i get a picture.but when i connect the dvd player to the HD connection,ie ypbpr too,i get a picture in progressive mode and not in interlaced.why is that?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1704
­
satheesh, there are many CRT TVs that have component inputs. Many of these component inputs are not of sufficient bandwidth to accept a progressive scan signal. I have two such TVs, a 14in Toshiba and a 31in JVC. I use DVD players on them in interlace mode and find the picture quality more than acceptable. Of the video input choices available on these TVs, component is still the best, even in interlace. Your regular component input fits this category. Your "HD" component input has expanded bandwidth to accept a 525p PAL signal generated by a DVD player. It might also, as its label implies, accept a genuine HDTV (720p or higher) signal.

My question is why not use the DVD player in progressive on your HD component input and be happy? Or do you need that input for something else?
­

Chennai, Tamilnadu India

Post Number: 3
Thanks John for ur usefull comments,i highly aprreciate it.one thing i dicovered since i posted on the forum is that,the picture quality while i use the component in, in interlaced mode is much better than what i got while using HD ypbpr in progressive mode,dont know how that happens.and one more thing, i could watch movies while using component in in progressive scan,but that happened all of a sudden,but after i stop playback and restart it later,the screen goes blank,i have to go back to interlaced mode to watch further,its mysterious. and my tv has progressive scan mode,is it sufficient?,am i getting what i would get while i use the progressive mode on my dvd player,i couldnt find a difference.as u asked,im just happy with what i get,the thing is that i just wanted to benchmark my new tv and hometheatre and find the best settings.thanks.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1705
­
"....and my tv has progressive scan mode,is it sufficient?"

As far as NTSC is concerned, progressive scan is usually preferable with most TV/DVD player combinations. The difference between interlace scan and progressive scan is not dramatic. Progressive usually yields a smoother more movie-like image which most people perceive as more agreeable--even sharper--than the same movie sequence in interlace mode.

But this changes when the PAL system has to process an incoming DVD signal from a movie shot at 24 frames per second. That has to be reconciled by a 100Hz TV that has become the norm on modern PAL-based TVs. There is an interesting article on this subject that concludes:

So, as we have seen, progressive scan seems to offer little for PAL. Plus, a word of warning: some progressive scan devices actually reduce the quality of PAL. How? By taking a PAL signal and turning it into progressive scan NTSC. So you lose PAL's higher resolution and get in return progressive scan NTSC's subtle jerkiness. Hmmm. Not a good choice.

So the conclusion the progressive is better than interlace does not necessarily apply to PAL-based video equipment reproducing movies via DVD. I stress the movie part here because using progressive scan when viewing video shot originally in PAL would be preferable.

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/progscan/progscan.htm

I can't explain what is happening with the blank screen after playback interruption. There are bits of playback information ("flags") the TV needs to see from the DVD for proper playback. It is possible that the TV is missing these flags for progressive mode to continue. I would be interested to know if this blank screen happens at the beginning of a chapter instead of a random point in the middle of one.

All this is academic because I think it is obvious you should stick with interlace playback with this TV. That could change should you find yourself with a non-CRT fixed pixel TV in the future.
­

Chennai, Tamilnadu India

Post Number: 4
once again thanks john for ur help,im just a layman in this field,but ur comments have possitively worked for me,thanks.
the blank screen happened randomly,i stopped playback at some point,watched cable for a while and when i got back and restarted playback i got a blank screen,but the audio was playing. the way it happened when i got the pic in progressive mode,i pressed the progressive button on the dvd at random intervels and all of a sudden i got the pic.dont know whats happeneing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us