Over the air broadcasts through Dish Network

Username: Sue2

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm new to HD programming and the associated equipment. I don't quite understand how all of this works. I have a question regarding picking up over-the-air broadcasts through Dish Network.

I just purchased a Toshiba 42" REGZA LCD HDTV. I'm going to run new HDMI cable to my dish, but I only have a standard Dish receiver. Will I be able to pick-up just the over-the-air broadcasts in HD in this manner, or will I have to upgrade my receiver to an HD model? I have no external antenna either.

I don't want to pay the extra $20.00/month Dish charges for HD programming, as the channels offered at this time are not of interest to me.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3452
You can't run an HDMI cable to a standard DN receiver, there isn't an HDMI output. You can't get local channels in HD through DN either. If you want HD channels cheap, use an antenna. Go to antennaweb.org and see if there are any HD channels in your area and what antenna you need to get them.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Username: Sue2

Post Number: 2
Yikes!!

Thanks for the post David. So much for my HDTV! I think I'll wait the 18 months until the broadcasts are switched over to digital. Perhasps Dish will offer something different at that time.

Watching TV is getting too expensive for me!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3453
Antennas don't cost very much.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1234
I have cablevision i/o (NYC area):
3 package deal ($90)
- High Speed Internet
- Unlimited phone service
- Family package

I upgraded to free Digital DVR + 1 extra HDTV receiver
Plus I got 3 regular analog cable TV (ch 2-75)
I pay $105

Cablevision is the worst customer service I have ever seen but best solution to HDTV at present time. I also get alot of free channels via satellite. Too bad I don't watch any TV lately

Click here on how to connect HDTV antenna
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/330353.html

I won't be around for questions
Good Luck you are my 1234 post
King

Gold Member

Post Number: 3454
Sue, I don't know about where you live, all the stations in my area are already digital or HD, most of them HD, except for one generic channel. Check antennaweb and they will list all available channels in your area and the antenna needed to receive them. HD is awsome, no need to wait 18 months.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us