Archive through January 30, 2007

Username: Kumar_shah

New York, NY United States

Post Number: 7
Found this on Samsung's web site:

Note: If your picture is pixelating or breaking up severely when you watch regular, non-HDTV television programs, you may have a problem that requires service. To schedule a service call, contact Samsung Customer care at 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864).

Describes my problem exactly. Problem especially noticeable with fast moving images. Before I call Samsung, anyone have an idea what this is about? Problem has been present since I bought the TV (compared to Sony LCD TV I also have) but I just chocked it up to a DLP shortcoming.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 849
"Describes my problem exactly."

Wow! I didn't know you had that problem.
You didn't mention it.
Sounds like an adjustment will solve it, though.

Username: Majgroves

Post Number: 1
Newbie Here,
I bought a HLP 5063WX in Feb 2005. I didn't notice at first, but the picture is off center about 1-1.5" to the right (space on left & cutoff on the right). Samsung sent me to a local tech guy who said the whole engine had to be replaced for $1350!!!

Since DLP is a projection system, there has to be an alignment adjustment, right? Can anyone tell me how I can recenter my picture?

Post Number: 8
Maj Groves:

See FYI's post 731 of May, 05 on how to access service menu and ajust position of picture.

Post Number: 9
Maj Groves:

Sorry, wrong date on FYI's post addressing your problem. Here is the relevant part of his message:

With set off, using the remote, press mute, 1, 8, 2, power. It comes on saying "Factory Loading". Use the up-down arrows to navigate. Use the center button (Enter) to select things. Use the left-right arrows to change values. Use the (Menu) button to return to a previous page.

Arrow down to "Service" and push "Enter". The next menu screen should have "Vertical" and "Horizontal" position selections at the top. Use up-down arrows to highlight the one you want in Red and push Enter. Change the picture position with left-right arrows. Push (Menu) to exit and return to previous menu screen. When you're done, Power off, then back on within 1 second to exit the Service Menu and avoid a lamp re-strike. This helps save the lamp life. There are other values in the SM that can be tweaked for your specific light engine. There's Gamma, Index Delay, CCA values, DNIE values, just to name a few. You might be able to call an authorized Samsung Service Center and obtain workable values for the DMD Control Module. Good Luck!

Post Number: 2
Kumar,

Thanks a lot. It worked - mostly. I moved the picture to the left until space started showing on the right. I then moved it back until the edge of the picture was just resting on the right side of the screen. This is much better, however, it is still not centered. It needs to go to the left more but then that leaves a space on the right side.

I saw all the settings on the "Factory Loading" menu but I don't understand most of it.

I guess it is about the best I'm going to get it unless someone has a suggestion.

Thanks again,
Maj Groves

Username: Valmarc

I liked the first HLS5087w so much I purchased a second one one month ago. Having something to compare to, I now notice that the brightness does not develop as fast on the second set nor reach the same intensity. Colors appear accuate but there is a dimness seen on tv and dvds when the brightness does not come on as fast nor get as bright as the first TV. Brightness and contrast controls cannot overcome it. Cable boxes and TV have comparable settings. Replaced cable box on second tv. Could this be a lamp issue or something else

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 859
It could be a weaker lamp, but it could also be a setting in the service menu, like gamma. In the picture menu the "Mode" setting has a large effect on grey scale. Dynamic is ridiculously intense, while Movie is muddy in my opinion. I use Standard in the daytime and I've set up Custom for dark room viewing. If you think something is definitely not normal, call 1-800 SAMSUNG for a warranty service call to re-calibrate the service mode and/or replace the lamp. Don't forget to register your serial number online for an extra three months of factory warranty.

Post Number: 3
re: Maj Groves Post #2 Sep 06

I realized later that the information I gave must sound strange. Indeed it is a little strange that if the right side of the picture is resting on the right side of the screen, how can it be still off-center to the right?

Well, when I am in Pillar-box mode for non-HD broadcast, the picture is off to the right. During HD broadcast, the right side of the picture is right up against the right side of the screen, but the left is off the screen by about 2 inches.

Is there a "Service" setting to change the width of the picture?

Maj Groves

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 862
You have used electronic adjustments in an attempt to correct what is probably a physical misalignment of the light engine. It sits on a sliding tray and should be held in place by screws. Yours may have been jarred out of alignment during a move. It could be the engine itself, the mirror, the lens, the DMD board, or any combination. There is no electronic setting to adjust width or height.

Username: Samiam2

Post Number: 4
Best Buy finally agreed to replace my Samsung HD DLP TV. It took a lot, but they're finally convinced that my sync issue is NOT because of my cable box. I'll have about a $3500 credit at Best Buy to replace my TV. I have a custom entertainment center that was made for my 50" Samsung. Any recommendations for another TV? DLP? LCD? Placma? It will be hooked up to my surrond sound system. Thanks!

Post Number: 10
Sam Sung:

As a barely satisfied owner of a Samsung HLR 4266W DLP TV (picture quality not as good as that of my Sony LCD), I'd suggest getting a 50" plastma TV. Consumer Report says Panasonic plasmas are the best value. Should fit in your cabinet.

Username: Nickster

I too have a Samsung 61-in DLP that has a "drag of the image' or 'ghosting' effect. What ideas does anyone havce to fix this? It's quite annoying.

Username: Frustrated_dlp_owner

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

HI. This is my first posting. I have a DLP model HLN5065W purchased in 2003. In the last year, occasionally the picture suddenly disappears. While this is happening, the sound, lamp, color wheel, fan etc., all continue to work. I can't turn of the set with the remote, however, I have to unplug and replug it. This seems to help but then a few hours or days later it happens again. I figured it could be someting with the reception since the signal runs through my video/sound tuner. But this also happens when I watch a movie on my DVD player which is connected directly to the the TV set. I have called the technician twice so far, but each time, the darn set works like a charm and he has no idea what the problem might be. As I write this, the picture is gone again and I will leave the set running until the technician shows up. Is this a common problem with these sets?
Frustrated DLP Owner

Username: Bwcbob

Charleston, South Carolia USA

I have the same problem with a DLP Model HLN4365. Mine set only stays on for about 5-10 minutes. All fans are clean and runnig smooth, everthing inside looks good - no noticably burned components and after unplugging it fires right up - but back out in minutes. The remote or power button on the side does not respond. Any help as to what to check other than the bulb as it is rather new - 2-3 months.
thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 925
JD,

Sounds like the analog board is flaking if you are using component cables instead of the DVI. My guess is that the DVI works perfectly. The culprit is the actual board that the component connectors attach to. That, or the digital board. I've heard of this condition several times. If it's the analog board, a new one will be a long term fix. If it's the digital board you should negotiate with 1-800-SAMSUNG for a newer replacement set because a new board will eventually fail.

Bob,

You're in the same boat!

Samsung knows these "N" models have bad boards. They are usually responsive to original owners, even with sets out of warranty. Be persistant, though. The first level is trained to say no! Get beyond them to ECR. Be prepared to pay shipping on a new "S" model.

Username: Frustrated_dlp_owner

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Thanks for the advice Fyi. I don't use component cables. I use an s-video cable/audio cables to connect the tv to the Satellite receiver & video/sound tuner and the DVI cable for my Samsung dvd player. The problem has occured for both tv and dvd movie watching. I followed your advice to other customers and contacted Samsung's 1-800 number. They told me to report the problem to Samsung at : oop@seca.samsung.com. Is this the correct procedure to get results?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 930
The S-Video cannot carry HD signals. All you will get with S-Video is 480i.

Questions:

How do you receive your free digital HD local network stations?

What sat provider?

What sat receiver?

Does the sat receiver have a digital off-air tuner (ATSC) built-in?

Have you tried the sets internal tuner?

Does the set's internal tuner glitch like sat and DVD does?
Hook up an external antenna and trigger the auto-programmer to check it out.

Bronze Member
Username: Potentialjvcowner

Post Number: 12
This is partly off-topic (because the answer isn't necessarily Samsung, although it might be), but I'm looking for a recommendation on an HDTV set, probably some micro-display projection set as opposed to LCD or plasma. I want a screen size in the mid 50's (inches) and true 1080p (will, at times, be driven by a Windows XP MCE computer via DVI or HDMI). Must also have triple tuning compatability (NTSC, ATSC, QAM). My impression is that JVC has the best picture but I'm scared to death of JVC lamp life issues. What models of Samsung, JVC, Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, etc. should I consider/avoid?

Username: Dlpproblems

My Samsung DLP model HLP4663 shuts off by itself every 15 minutes. I am 1 year past the expiry of the warrantee period. Any idea what is causing this? Please help!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
PH, it could be overheating becuase it's cooling systems (fans and vents) have become clogged with dust. The first thing I'd do is give it a good cleaning. That may be about the extent of what a user can do, but if you are very lucky, it may be enough.

Username: Dlpproblems

I'll check the fans. Someone named pg828 on this board had the same exact problem. Did replacing the DLP engine fix it? What is that going to cost me?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I'd bet that replacing the light engine or the main DLP module out of warranty would both cost so much as to make them not economically feasible. If cleaning doesn't fix it, try to find a service manual.

Username: Gibber

Oakville, Ont Canada

After reading all the problems that people are having with the SamSung DPL HD I am still keeping my fingers x'd.
I have a SamSung HL=P6163W and have finished yr. 2 with only 1 problem and that stared a few days ago.
I noticed that the power light on the front panel LED indicator is out with the TV on.
Is there someone out there that can tell me why the light is now out? The light it self is operational but should be on when the TV is on.

Thanks}

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 946
Not sure about yours, but the "S" models are designed that way. I wouldn't want a distracting LED on while I'm watching!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
R Gibson:

On my HLR 4266, there is a red light indicating when the set is off. This light goes off (but no other light comes on) when my set is on. I think this is normal.

Username: Gibber

Oakville, Ont Canada

OK thanks for the quick replys. I'll hope that it is the way it should be. I think ur right . Thanks again.

Username: Marshcat

United States

Edit: The TV was broken, fixed, and now has another problem. Here is my new dilemma:

I have a Samsung HLN467W Television.

When I turn it on, it will work perfectly for any time from 30 seconds to 30 minutes before the picture feezes in black and white.

Suddenly, as the TV is working, the picture will freeze and everying will appear in 2-bit, no shades of gray or anything, just black and white.

After 30 seconds of this frozen picture (the lamp is still illuminated) the TV flashes the three lights in front and the lamp shuts off.

Also, I received the TV secondhand and I don't know if it has had any lamp changes. The lamp timer says 7894 hours. When I received the TV, the little rubber sheath that goes over screw that holds the plastic siding that covers the lamp was impeccable, it looked like it had never been touched.

If I unplug it and plug it back in the TV will work again but repeat this process.

I am currently running the TV without the fan cover in the back (if that has anything to do with it).

Also, I have found a few small pieces of shiny, reflective colored metal things near the TV. I just vacuummed so it might not be from the TV.

Could it be the color wheel? (but when I turn the TV on, it looks perfect until the problem occurs)

This problem occurs on the first component and all three of the composite connections. It also occurs on the VGA input.

I do not have an HD signal so I cannot test the DVI or the other component inputs. (although I assume the problem is not input related)

What do I need to replace to make the TV work? Just the lamp? The color wheel?

Here are two pictures. One is of the TV working and the other shows the problem
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/marshcat56/P1010337.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/marshcat56/P1010341.jpg

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Dan,

Well, the problem is not a lamp problem. But as to the lamp, it's very unlikely that the lamp has 7894 acutal hours on it. What's most likely is that the lamp was replaced (possibly a number of times), but that the counter was never reset.

As to what the problem is, it's really just about impossible to say (at least for me to say), but it looks like something in the light engine. I don't think it's the color wheel, if the wheel was stopped you would have a colored picture, not a black and white picture, I THINK. If you are technically inclined, I think that the next step would be to obtain a service manual. Otherwise, you are just going to have to call someone. The cost of this could be reasonable (probably meaning $200 to $400) or it could be staggering. The set knows that something is wrong, that's why it's shutting itself down. It also knows, within certain broad limits, what is wrong (at least which part of set is malfunctioning). When you get a service manual, you will probably have the information to access the set's internal history data so that you will be able to get a better idea of what the problem is.

United States

Thanks Barry.

Do you think it could possibly be the analog board?

What will the service manual do for me?

I have already taken this think apart to fix some loose ribbon cables, so a repair should hopefully not be that bad for me to do.

If it is the light engine, why would it work when I turn it on?

thanks,
Dan

Bronze Member

Dan Sheiner:

I think you should wait for an answer from FYI, the resident guru on Samsung DLPs.

Kumar

United States

Should I PM him or should I wait for him to post here?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Dan Sheiner:

Only way I know to hear back from him is to wait for him to post here. He is usually quite prompt.

Kumar

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
If you have to ask what good the service manual is, or what it will tell you, I question if you should be doing this.

You state that you took the back off, this is not really a good idea without the service manual. For example, on JVC sets, there is a photocell that "sees" when the set is opened, and once it's opened, JVC PERMANENTLY disables the HDMI ports, and they are difficult to get reset (the official way to do it is to use a special service remote that has buttons on it that don't exist on the end-user remote, but there is an alternative procedure that seems to work and that doesn't require a special service remote) (the purpose of this is to prevent people from bypassing HDCP copy protection of digital programs being sent to the TV set for display). You don't have a JVC set, and I don't think that Samsung does this particular thing, but there are dangers in going into the set without a service manual that may be completely non-obvious without a service manual.

I think you need to stop and get a service manual, or call someone. Frankly, this doesn't look like something you will be able to fix without replacing something. A service manual might let you figure out what the "something" would be.

United States

Thanks.

I do know what a service manual is and what services it provides. Often, a service manual provides mostly schematics, which would be of no help to me.

I did a slight bit of research and I have found that the service manual would indeed be an advantage to me. I will buy one, thanks.

Regarding taking the TV apart, I did not just randomly remove the back. I followed the detailed instructions here, with pictures.
http://www.jangro.com/a/2006/07/24/samsung-dlp-replace-color-wheel/

A local repair shop will diagnose it for $40 and if I choose to have them repair it, they will put that $40 toward the parts/labor.

I might choose this route (hoping they don't just say I need a whole new light engine)

If I bring the TV to them, could I lie it down with the screen facing down or facing up?

Would I have to transpor tit rightside up?

Also, FYI, if you read my posts, PLEASE HELP ME!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
They may be able to diagnose it from you photos. Otherwise, I think I'd want them to come to the house. I think you would need to transport the set upgright. I kept the box from my set.

Username: Tomas090

Portland, Maine Usa

Post Number: 6
I messed up! I was in the service set up (mute 1 8 2 power) and changed a setting related to sharpness. I don't like the picture but can't seem to find my way back????

I can't seem to find any way to change between menus with exception of selecting "service" from first menu. I can't even get back to original menu from service without going through shut-off start up? Am I dreaming or are there menus related to picture in these menus? I shouldn't be playing where I don't belong

On a positive note: I finally have a service tech coming to view my audio synch problem (Most pronounced on HD channels) but I am sure they will say it is normal and look at me like I have three heads, AGAIN

In anyone's experience, how many calls to Samsung for service does it take to get this apparently known issue resolved? The resident expert mentioned once about you have to get to an upper level tech before they will do anything

FYI

I didn't notice you amnswered a question fo rme previously, thank you

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 952
Dan,

That's yet another failure of the digital DMD control board. The black and white frozen image is the tell tale sign. It's not the light engine or an analog board, but rather the brain that tells the light engine how to operate. The problem is that a replacement may also eventually fail. I know you didn't want to here that. This board is available from www.samsungparts.com and is pretty simple to replace. You just have to ask yourself if you want to limp along a 2nd gen DLP with known failures when a 6th generation 50 inch 720P DLP can be purchased for under $1100 today.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Samsung_HL_S5086W_50_DLP_Projection_TV,__19302154 /sort_type=price

Tom,

Selecting Service or Option can take you to other screens. Getting back where you started is as easy as pressing menu on your remote. I guess you already know that left and right arrows will change values. I'm not sure what you changed that would affect "sharpness" unless you got into DNiE. Have the tech check into your picture concerns. He may be good enough to straighten it out.

United States

Post Number: 5
I only paid $300 for this TV so I will either buy the new board or part out the TV and cut my losses.

I can't seem to find the DMD board on that site. Is there a better way to navigate it?

Which board is the DMD board? Is it connected/part of the light engine or is it one of the boards on the left side of the TV. (there are two on the left side. One in front with all of the inputs/tuners and another in back)

United States

Post Number: 6
Part Number Description Specification Price Add to cart
BP31-00001A LAMP FAN ASSY / NOT A LAMP G9225L12B2-FS(WS),HLM507W,WITH 3PINI $59.78
BP47-00008A BALLAST FOR PHILIPS LAMP PHILIPS 100P/H00,100W $172.72
BP59-00007A REMOTE CONTROL PROJECTION TV $68.85
BP59-00016A REMOTE CONTROL TM63,LCD,58,G6671B,EX,S/S,DLIE $70.98
BP67-00051A FRESNEL SCREEN HLN467W//SAM 46"WF,PMMA,2.0MM $198.76
BP67-00053A LENTICULAR SCREEN HLN467W//SAM 46 WL,PMMA,2.1MM $201.58
BP94-00087A ASSY PCB POWER HLM437WX/XAA,L62A $120.88
BP94-00500Q ASSY PCB MAIN-ANALOG HLN567WX/XAA,L62A $191.32
BP94-00502W DIGITAL UPGRADE BOARD HLN507WX/XAA,L62A, n/a see detail
BP96-00224C LAMP ASSY./ PHILIPS 40''-50'' n/a see detail
BP96-00224J LAMP ASSY.BLACK CONNECTOR / PHILIPS PHILIPS, DLP 6 $179.99
BP96-00249A ASSY COVER P-DMD DLP(SVC),DMD ASSY $770.65
BP96-00250A COLOR WHEEL DLP(SVC),COLOR $117.95
BP96-00305D ASSY ENGINE P-DLP PJ46 46 $923.08
D5067-DVI6 SAMSUNG DVI-DVI CABLE 6FT 6FT DVI-I - DIGITAL 24 PIN & 5 PIN MALE $19.99
D5068-DVI12 SAMSUNG DVI-DVI CABLE 12FT 12FT DVI-I - DIGITAL 24 PIN & 5 PIN MALE $27.99
OM-HLN467W OWNER'S MANUAL HLN467W $13.00
SCREEN-4 SCREEN CLEANER 4OZ/ FOR BIG S.TV,FLAT MO $11.75
SM-HLN467WX SERVICE MANUAL HLN467WX $28.00
TR46L5S STAND FOR 46IN DLP TV HLN467W n/a see detail

Which one of these is it?

Is it the digital upgrade board?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 953
Yes, that's the one! The (n/a see detail) is troublesome. You may need to consult with a live rep or service center.

Well...you don't see upgrades every day.

When you see the new board, you will know which and where the old one is. Then, of course, there's always the Service Manual.
Good luck!

United States

Post Number: 7
When I click on it, it says that that part has been disconinud and takes me to the part that the mfr. replaced it with. The part looks identical to a board in my TV.

The price ($291) is definetly reasonable.

How long will it last before it blows again?

Will I get one year of of it?

I really don't want to replace it and then find that it blows again tommorrow!

United States

I have heard around that the digital boards on the "n" series is troublesome.

I have also heard of people convincing Samsung to send them f ree new digital boards.

My TV was manufactured in July 2003. Would it be possible to get a free board?

How would I go about doing it? I will be eternally grateful if someone can help me get a free digital board.

thanks,
Dan

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 955
Dan,

Call 1-800-SAMSUNG!
Prompts 2, 1, 3, 1.
Tell them you're the original owner and you know about the digital board failures. If the rep isn't helpful, ask for the next level of support. There are three levels. Be persistent! You may have success, even if it's just the part.
Best of luck!

United States

Will they ask for reciept/other stuff to prove that I the original owner?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 956
Maybe...most likely not, though.
They will want the serial number for sure.

Ultimately, they want your satisfaction and future business. How refreshing!

Username: Toadpt19

Hi folks; first post here. Great source for info on the Samsungs; FYI you seem to be pretty informed about them and I salute you for sharing your insights. Looks like you've helped a lot of people.

I ordered a Samsung HL-S5687W today from Abe's of Maine. I probably should have asked these questions here first but I just found this place. I can still stop the transaction before shipment though.

Anyway, any comments on Abe's of Maine? They have a 5 star rating at Cnet; anyone bought from them?

I also bought a Repairtech 5 year warranty with it; provides up to 3 bulbs over 3 years, covers the rest for 5 years after the factory warranty expires. Abe's matched the cheapest price I could find on the net, $350. Repairtech seems to be reputable and I've read favorable reviews. Anyone have experience with them?

What's the difference between the HL-Sxx87 series and the HL-Sxx88 series? The 87's aren't on the Samsung website anymore; the 88's show as "new". Is the 88 that much better?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 957
Thanks for the kind words, John!

The two sets have identical light engines and video processors. The 88 has PIP, CableCard, and the ability to make 1 to 1 pixel mapping stick in the service menu for those concerned with PC resolution. I'm fine with the 87 myself. It's a fantastic display.

When it comes in, get the serial number and register with Samsung.com for an extended factory warranty period. I purchased the 5 year too. The same guys usually show up under either warranty period. At least that's what happened to me a few years ago.

RepairTech is as good as any. They are all circuit board and light engine swappers anyway.

Abes is better than most with communication and delivery time.

Enjoy the set!
Best regards!

Thanks, FYI, I appreciate the input.

I am looking foward to it. Got the whole package; stand, HDMI cable, warranty.

My son has a 720p Samsung that's about 42 inches and it's great. This one should be even better so I'm excited.

I don't watch much TV other than sports but my wife is a couch potato. It's her Christmas present. :-)

Username: Scorch

I have a HLN507WX/XAA when turned on has small diagonal lines through picture then after a few minutes they become larger and more vertical and wavy. I replaced color wheel a year ago and lamp (which by the way had 18000 hrs) a couple of weeks ago. This is a problem which started about a month ago.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
I assume that you meant 1,800 hours and not 18,000 hours.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 965
I've actually heard of some "N" models with the original Phillips UHP lamps that are way past 12,000 hours. That 18k figure would have to be a new record, though!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Yes, but there are only 8,700 hours in a full year. 18,000 hours is almost physically impossible. In fact, 12,000 hours is pushing the limits of impossibility, assuming that the set is turned off at night.

Username: Scorch

Yes it was 18000 hours. Did not fail but was getting darker.

United States

Post Number: 10
I just spoke to Samsung level one.

She put in something called an:

Executive customer relations request

Anyway, someone is going to call me in 3-5 days and they will speak to me about what they can do.

What should I say when they call?

Is this feasible?

I already told them that a tech checked out the problem. FYI :-)

I said that I knew about the consistant failure of these parts.

I also said that I was considering purchasing another Samsung product (completely true) but that I would really like a year or two more out of this one. I paid $4000 three years ago and I really can't justify spending that again if the product lifespan is so long.

She said they would contact me and discuss with me the supply of parts, labor, or television replacement.

How should I handle this? Did I make the right decision by not climbing up the service center ladder?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 970
Actually, you made it to the top.
Get a new "S" model if you can.
They may ask you for $300 shipping.
Good luck!

Just a quick update on the HL-S5687W I ordered from Abe's of Maine.

I came air freight halfway across the country and arrived nine days after I ordered. I'm pretty impressed, considering it's the Christmas rush everywhere.

Everything I ordered arrived, well packaged, with no damage. Even had a little shock indicator on the TV that would go red if it had been dropped too hard.. it was clear.

Took longer to put the stand together than it did to get all hooked up and watching HD TV.

The picture is excellent; absolutely no complaints. I guess I'm one of the ones that can't see any "rainbow" effect either.

Anyway, great forum. Hope I never need it for repair advice!

(OH, BTW, Abe's of Maine matched the lowest 'net prices I could find on the bulb/set warranties and all extra parts like HDMI cable, etc. I give Abe's a top rating for service and price.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
For cables, almost no one beats or even comes close to www.monoprice.com

Username: Victor_m

hi, i have a samsung dlp (hln4365wx) and it has been acting up, it flashes the immages in black and white and shortly after that shuts itself off, before it would last 3-4 hours but now its down to 90mins. if i shut it off before it shuts itself and try to turn it back on it cycles through 3times and then just gives me the 3 flashing lights but if i wait 20-30min i can watch it for another 90mins. is it something i can fix or is it something costly?

any help at all would be much appreciated

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 972
The digital control board is heating up and failing. (black & white images) You can try to clean the inside, but it's probably too late for that board. www.samsungparts.com

Three lights flashing is a lamp failure indication. It may be on it's way out too. Put in your spare.

Don't forget to take the back off and clean things up in there with a brush attachment to your vac hose. Cleaning the inside every six months can prevent premature failure of several major components. After all, it's a projector that pulls air through it to keep things cool. With the air flow comes dust, lint, hair, bugs, etc. Pay extra attention to the cooling fans. Tape the cover switch shut and power up the set. Don't look directly at the lamp. It's brighter than the sun. Check that the fans spin equally and quietly. They are easy to replace if needed.

Username: Ajd6c8

FYI ~

Sometimes, on some inputs, my tv wont give me Red. It happened once on my component input #2 which I had my Playstation 2 component cables hooked in to. I cycled through the source inputs and like magic, the red came back.

This time it is my PC input. Only now, I can't fix it - nothing i do brings the Red channel back.

I just bought this tv 3 weeks ago from CC (i know, i know, before you yell at me for not getting the '87, i got this for $1100 which was actually in my price range).

From what I've read, the general consensus is that it is an analog board issue. Is this an issue that degrades over time? Is this an issue that is a difficult fix? Is this an issue that I should call to get serviced?

Thanks,
Anthony

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 974
Take it back...quickly!

The set will receive 1080i and all other signals. It will only display 720P because that's how it's made. It converts all signals to 720P.

Only content recorded or mastered in 720P or 1080i will be true HD. The rest is just enlarged.

FYI

checked my receipt, it's been 33 days (bought it Nov 25). I dont think CC will give me an exchange. Also, I dont really have a suitable vehicle to fit it in. I had to bring it home w/o a box to fit it in my Volvo. Should I still try and return it?

Isn't this something that can be easily serviced (for free) under my warranty? I can totally live w/o the PC input until it's fixed, I'm just worried about the "defective nature" of my set coming back to haunt me.

Thanks,
anthony

Username: Dlpkk

dead pixel - can I DIY?

I have a HLN-437WX/XAA and have one always on (white) dead pixel.

Can I replace the "light engine" myself? Where can I get a deal on the part?

Username: Dlpkk

OK so my terse message did not get any responses... Here's more details.

I've got an 43" HLN437WX that I've had for one month shy of 3 years.

Until a month ago it was flawless, with 7100 hours on the lamp, the picture has been "as new".

Then a month ago I noticed a white dot on the screen, just slightly right of center. The white dot is there for every input.

I looked at Samsungparts and they want over $900 for the Light Engine. Several other online sources sell the engine for $710.

I called Samsung Service and they referred me to the local repair shop. They quoted me $455 for the part and $245 for in home labor, for $700 total.

Two questions -
1. Is the Light Engine replacment as easy and straightforward as it seems in the service manual?

2. Is the $700 deal a good deal?

thanks,
Kevin

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 11
FYI/anyone

I just called Samsung back because I did nto get a response.

They told me that I needed to fax them the reciept and the tech's report before they would do anything.

Are any of you Samsung techs who could provide me with a report? I will pay for it!

Any suggestions

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 983
Kevin,

Allow a qualified service tech to install a complete LE. The SM values in the digital board must be tweaked for different LE's.

Dan,

Demand that Samsung set up the service call. Get past any support level that doesn't do this for you. It should be their authorized tech doing the evaluation and assessment.

Bronze Member

United States

I am confused.

I told them that it had been diagnosed with a bad digital board.

They want me to fax the tech's records to them. They think that I have already had it looked at.

How should I handle this? How can I demand that they look at it for free?

Could you be a little more specific. (I appologize for being so thick, but I want to make sure I do this right)

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 985
Tell them you consulted with techs in a forum and it's really a probable diagnosis. Tell them you want them to make the determination and take responsibility for part failures.

Username: Vcam819

I have an hlp4663. The unit has started to turn itself off after 30 to 45 minutes. Any idea whats causing this?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 988
Read my Dec. 23rd post above. Cleaning things up inside may prevent an overheat and shut down.

Username: Deemack

Clinton Twp, MI USA

Great Site, I used the Forum back in March of 2003 when I purchased my Samsung HLN507W,

Here is my breif history & current problem
(Unfournatley I didn't purchase the extended warrenty)

After 30 months of usage I was getting White Falshes and Samsung did NOT help because the set was out of Warrenty.

At that time I replaced the DMD (Bp96-00249a) & assembly, this occurred in DEC 2005.

Afterwards the set has worked great

2 days ago, my set was on at the time and I heard a sound from the set, the picture disappeared and the DREADED 3 lites were blinking, I couldn't shut down with remote, so I unplugged and attempted to get the TV operational, I noticed that the set was trying to work but after a few attempts the DREADED 3 lights came on.

I tried this process 3-4 times (Once I waited 16 hours, thinking it may have over heated)

I just replaced the Lamp 2 weeks prior to.

My 1st thought was (Bad Lamp), so I contacted Lamps for Less and Today I am recieving a Brand new lamp, with the hopes of getting my TV back.

I then remebered about this site and have spent the last few hours reading and learning.

Here is my question ?, If the lamp replacement doesn't solve this problem, is is safe to say I have another BAD DMD board (BP96-00249A)?

I have a family of 6 and we do use the TV quite a bit, we also have X-BOX 360 and of course that is being used alot as well.

ANY suggestions, help, advise would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1001
Sounds like the lamp to me.

Samsung should have owned up on that digital board. They know there is a history of board failures with the "N" models. Some original owners have received newer replacement sets.

Clinton Twp, MI USA

FYI,

Thanks for the feedback, here is what occurred, I recieved the lamp yesterday and replaced it, Unfourantley I recieved the DREADED 3 blinking lights again, It seems that the unit is trying to boot up (I can hear the sounds of the fan and it trying), but after a few attepts the 3 lights start blinking, (I assume this means abother BAD DMD board) ????

I called Samsung, The feedback I recieved was, OUT of WARRENTY and nothing about my Model HLN507W showing problems other than the LAMP not lasting as long as orginally thought, I asked what advise they could give me, The answer was, we can set you up with a ASC and take it from there.

Sounds like Samsung is unwilling to own up to the issues with DLP (new technolghy with many different issues)

Here is the part I loved the most, the Samsung rep said, these TV sets weren't designed to last a long time, I clearly remember hearing from many forums and the salesperson that (as long as you are willing to replace the lamp every so often, your TV will last a very long time)

I don't consider 3 years and 9 months a VERY long time !!!!

ANY FEEDBACK or comments are welcomed

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1004
Well...that's what the first line CSR's tell everybody. You must then say, "That's unacceptable!", and ask to speak to someone else. Eventually, your situation will reach Executive Customer Relations. They care about keeping you as a customer. Tell them three years doesn't cut it. Negotiate a service call to assess the issue and then, negotiate the parts/labor or both. Be very, very, persistent. If it's that digital board, they may offer you other "options". At a minimum, offer to pay labor if they provide the part.

Clinton Twp, MI USA

THX Again FYI.

I am in that process and will keep you posted via this forum,

P.S. I truely appraciate this site & forum, the information shared & discussed in so valuable to any consumer in the electronic world.

Thanks again

Username: Danlem

First time poster. I've reviewed all the posts and can't seem to find a similar issue. Great forum and moderators by the way! I have a HL-p5063W. I've just recently noticed a rolling set of broken horizontal lines when using my DVD player. It's there whether playing a disc or just sitting idle. I've tried switching cables and component 1 v 2 with no improvement. Regular TV watching is still good. I do have Circut Cities CityAdvantage Plan but would like your feedback on possible reasons for the trouble.

Thanks
Dan

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1014
Try a different DVD player. They're under $50 these days.
It sounds like an unwanted signal generated by your DVD player.

Username: Danlem

I did. Used one that works fine on another set. No improvement. Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Dan

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1016
Well...the DVD player isn't injecting the unwanted analog signal, but it sure shows up at the set's analog board.
Is it there when using S-Video too?
What input is "regular tv" ?

I'm starting to suspect the analog board.

Username: Scottieo9

Great forum! Lots of really good advice!

That being said, I need some. I just got a HL-S4266W, no HD until tomorrow so I'm living with SD. DVDs and XB360 look amazing, though.

Anyway, I calibrated it as best I could with Avia. But it keeps resetting itself back to factory default picture settings. I'll have it set to Movie with the adjustments the way I like them, then after a while, it goes back to Dynamic and Torch mode.

I have the extended warranty and am ready for a service call, if necessary. Just hoping someone knew of a feature, SM setting or something I'm missing. So far, I've only noticed it on the S Video setting.

Username: Jhaile

I have an hl-r5067w purchased in 2005 - no ex. warranty. Recently I ran out of component inputs and had to start switching connections fairly frequently. After doing this for a couple of weeks, my Component 2 input no longer works - it either says there is no signal or a weak signal. Component 1 still works fine.

Is there anything I can do or try?

I have 3 component cable devices, and none of them support DVI or HDMI. I'm scared that if I start switching Component 1, the same thing might happen to that input!

jeremy ~

you probably just damaged one of the solder joints on one of the component cable jacks. Prob a real easy fix for a tech, maybe even DIY.

more importantly, what are you doing that for!? Just go get an A/V selector with component video jacks. The nicer ones have remotes, the nicest ones have auto-detection. Some have digital audio, too. The one I have has neither, but it works great and cost $15 at walmart.

Thanks Anthony! Well, That was my plan all along - apparently I procrastinated a week or so too long. And I didn't think that the input would stop working so quickly! I'm planning on picking up a component A/V selector tomorrow and I'll plug it into Component 1 (which still works)

Hopefully I won't miss component 2, but if I do - I guess I should open it up and look for damage to the solder joints?

honestly, now that you are sans warranty, I wouldn't recommend opening her up if you don't absolutely have to. I mean, what's the point if you've got one working (assuming that your a/v selector has enough inputs for your system)? Personally, I wouldn't mess with it until it's problematic to the point of annoyance. But I think with a 5 or 7 A/V selector, you'll be all set - even with only 1 TV input.

of course, if Comp #1 goes out... *fingers crossed*
... surgery may be required.

as for your procrastination... dont feel bad, we're all guilty of it. I waited 3 weeks before using a decent surge protector! shame shame. Besides, it's not YOUR fault that these things are schleped together in malaysia (or wherever), it shouldn't break that easy, but what else is new!

Clinton Twp, MI USA

FYI,

I got my set repaired over the weekend,

It was the Ballast ($450 parts & labor) , not the DMD or lamp, I am submitting to Samsung all the details of the repairs, I will keep you posted on the results.

It is a very alarming concern to pay $1350 in repairs for a DLP (HLN5070w) that is only 3 years & 9 months old.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1019
Darn the luck!
Thanks for letting us know about the ballast.

Repairs costing $1350? OUCH!
Good luck with Samsung!

Username: Cracken

Hi! My first post. I have a shaded semi-transparent line about two inches wide running vertical from top to bottom on the left side of my screen on my Samsung HL-R5078W DLP. Have replaced the lamp used the service menu to try to adjust the screen but still have the shaded line. Help would be very welcome.

By the way, I bought a component A/V selector for $20 and it is working great. Ideally I'll just replace my Denon receiver one of these days with a newer unit that has more inputs, but until then I'll manage by manually selecting the input using the selector =)

Username: Rickwatt

Raymond,

I have the exact problem as you do on my HLR5667W. I bought my set January 10, 2006. I called Samsung and they extended the warranty until April 10, 2007 so that this problem would be covered under the warranty. (That was great of them!!). I have a service call in, so I will update you with their findings.

I haven't been able to find anything else about this on the Internet.

FYI, any input on this problem?

Thanks.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1021
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/295015.html

Username: Rickwatt

That's the exact problem. Thanks for pointing me to that thread. There's so much info on this site that I missed it the first time.

Thanks for all your help. You are a wealth of knowledge.

Thank You Everbody for the info on the mirror box on the Samsung DLP.Will call Samsung asap. Will let yall know how it turns out!

Clinton Twp, MI USA

To FYI & other owners of the Samsung HLN507W
Subject: Feedback with Samsung

In my previous messages I have accumalated $1350 in repairs $900 14 months ago (DMD) and $450 2 weeks ago (Ballast)

THE GOOD NEWS is Samsung is re-imbursing me the $450 from my recent repairs.

The TV is 3 years & 9 months old.

I was happy to hear the news, I couldn't have made it possible without the SUPPORT and help from this Forum

Thanks again for the info FYI

PS In the future if I ever purchase another top of the line DLP or Plasma, I will make sure I buy from Costco and keep me receipt & orginal contents.

The Warrenty isn't long enough to insure future issues.

Thanks again

Username: Tenspromike

Help, one week until the S.B.! Great thread, hope one of you can help me out.

My Samsung is 4 years old. I actually have two problems, one being more immediate. The past week, the picture after about 30 minutes of running starts becoming, as one poster described, psychadelic. I looked in back and noticed that the area near the cooling fan was very hot. I also noticed the cooling fan wasn't running. So, I'm guessing it needs to be replaced. However, since I'm not going to be able to do that before the big game, do you think I can just run a small fan behind the T.V. into the vent to keep it cool enough for my party? Will that solve the problem short-term, or do I have a bigger issue?

Second problem, ever since I've owned the T.V., it occassionally develops diagonal lines about 1/2 inch apart and gets progressively worse as it remains on. I have found that turning off and on several times usually fixes it for the short-term. Any thoughts on what this could be?

FYI - for anyone replacing a color wheel, found this great website: http://www.jangro.com/a/2006/07/24/samsung-dlp-replace-color-wheel/

P.S. Thanks FYI in advance, since I'm hoping you'll be able to help!

Username: Richa321

DLP 42inch- seems to have a noisy hum in the background. I can only assume that it is the fan. It seems to be on constantly. I have had the tv 1 year and it is just out of warranty. I called samsung and they will not extend it.

You guys seem to have all of the answers. If you can offer any help, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Talked with Samsung about my shaded line on my DLP (for over two hours). No help will not repair it because it is 17 months old. Repair tech I contacted says the whole light engine needs to be replaced @$1500. Need help on what part needs to be replaced can't afford $1500 I am a retired firefighter don't have the money. Guess I will watch the TV until I can't see the picture anymore then I will dump it in the trash. Thanks for all the help. I will never buy anything with Samsung name on it again.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1023
Yea Michael, that should keep it cool. It might be too late for that digital board, though. Hope not!

Richard and Raymond,

Look at Darryl's post. Samsung will fix their sets out of warranty. You must get past the first support levels to Executive Customer Relations. Persistance pays off!

Username: Jvm66

I have a 50 DLP - bought the summer of '03 - has worked perfectly since the last 10 days (lamp replaced under warranty in 05). Not sure the right terms, but the color isn't right anymore...just not consistent...particularly with the reds but not limited to. For instance if you look at a person's forhead, there will be multipal shades of tan (skin color) running into each other. The color variations stay relatively within the main color group but is looks terrible and is hard to watch and looks "fuzzy/slighly blurry".

Does anyone know what's wrong? and is caling Samsung for help a waste of time?

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 13
OK, I finally spoke to Samsung's Executive Customer Relations. I told the 1st level rep my story and he transferred me. (I had to argue a bit)

Anyway, the ECC rep was rude. She told me that she would not take any action unless I got I checked out. She told me to hire my local service center to come to my house. I told her that Samsung should pay for that. She got angry and defensive. I asked her, "When the problem, the digital board, is diagnosed, what action will you be able to take?" She refused to answer. I then asked, "What is an example of an action you could take?" She responded by saying that she could not speculate.
Finally, I asked, "If I go and spend $100 on diagnostics that I don't need, is one of your options to do absolutely nothing?" To that she responded, "No, if you get it checked out I will take further action" Basically, because it was bought December 2003 (no reciept), she won't take action unless I pay to have it diagnosed.

Therefore, I am trying to make an appointment with the service center (20 miles away).

I have a station wagon that will easily fit this TV. However, I would have to put it with the screen lying down to the ground. Would it be OK to transport the TV in this position. I really don't care that much, as long as it doesn't break the TV.

I have the executive customer relations direct phone number and fax. What should I do?

Do you think they will do anything?

How much will this place charge for me to bring the TV to them and for them to tell me the problem? They did not respond to my call!

BTW, FYE, you are a godsend among us Samsung DLP owners.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us