Archive through November 16, 2006

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2966
The media code is like a manufacterer/model number for discs. It tells you the manufacterer, and I guess what could be considered the model, like TYG01 is 4x, TYG02 is 8x and TYG03 is 16x. Certain manufacterers and media codes are well known to have problems. The best way to avoid problems is to use good quality media and keep the burner firmware up to date.

Bronze Member
Username: Jchurch43

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 76
Now I have a real dilemma, in fact, I have two dilemma, and they make no sense at all.

Dilemma 1: Suddenly, I cannot transfer anymore VHS to DVD. After being successful for over a month, now I get the copy protection message with copy protected tapes and non-copy protected tapes alike. I haven't made any changes to the connections or settings. It makes no sense.

Delimma 2: I can no longer copy DVD to DVD via the DVDFab, DVD Decrypter, and/or DVDShrink. There is no logic here at all. I'm about ready to just give up. Nothing makes sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Tmax59

Post Number: 106
James -

You say you are getting the copy protection message with non-copy protected tapes. Take the CT-2 out of the loop and see what happens. Obviously, you shouldn't be getting that message with non-copy protected tapes. If your CT-2 has gone bad, perhaps it's responsible for the message somehow.

If you remove it and don't get the message (with non-copy protected tapes) but DO get it with the CT-2 connected, then that's probably your problem. If you DO get the message without the CT-2 connected, it's something else -- I'd suspect either your D-R4 or your VCR (since there's nothing else to suspect!!).

I don't know that a bad CT-2 would give the message all the time -- it's just something I thought to try. You need to troubleshoot it systematically to eliminate each piece of equipment (and tape, of course).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2969
Unplug the DVD recorder for a minute or so and plug it back in. All digital equipment has glitches that a lot of times can be solved by resetting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
My DSL modem apparently just now needed that treatment. I wasn't connecting to the 'Net, so I shut it off for ~30 seconds then back on and it's fine. The instructions say to do that and the Verizon rep told me to shut it off every nite and back on each morning (but I don't).

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Just to note that I recorded a TY disc all the way to the end and it came up at 2:06:30. Unfortunately, I didn't check what it read before recording anything on it, but so far they've all said 2:04, and I suspect this one would have said the same thing had I remembered to note it before starting.

That's at SP (2-hour speed).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2993
The total time will vary slightly depending on the source, at least with the JVC I used to use. DVD recorders use VBR (variable bitrate). On poor quality sources or something with a lot of fast moving scenes, it will give less record time, on a clean source without fast moving scenes it will give more record time. I don't know if this would be true with the Toshiba or not, since it doesn't record all of the disc space, at least not on AT.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Boy, I DO really hate widescreen now. I guess I'll appreciate it when I get a big screen, big bucks TV.

What I don't get is what I just came across. Chinatown and The Conversation are supposedly both Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35, "Enhanced for 16x9" Paramount videos circa 1999 and 2000 respectively. But whereas Chinatown is a "half screen" job (boy do I hate that), The Conversation isn't bad at all.

What's up with that???????

Shouldn't they both have the same "black bars"?

Zooming seems to blur the picture a bit, so I'm not too thrilled with zooming Chinatown a whole lot. I guess I'll just have to get used to widescreen and maybe consider a new tube.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3009
Zooming can look not so good on some movies. Those are both old is probably why. I zoom 2.35:1 movies 1 step all the time. 1 step on my player basically makes a 1.85:1 movie fullscreen, I lose half an inch or so from the top and bottom. The quality on most movies on 1 step is fine, and I'm really picky about quality. You still get bars on a widescreen TV, they just aren't as big.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
David -

I'm now into naming and finalizing discs. I'm a tad confused about something.

When going thru the finalizing process, the screen comes up where you can name the disc. It says there that the disc name can contain a maximum of 50 characters and the title name can contain a maximum of 56 characters, with no more than 16 characters per line.

How the heck to you change to line 2 (and 3 and 4) when naming a title? I don't see it in the manual, although it's probably there somewhere.

As far as naming the disc, I did that. But I don't know what that does for me. Similarly, I don't know what naming the title does for me. I guess I'll have to play a finalized disc in a different player. Maybe then the name of the disc (or title) is displayed?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3013
In the title name, you'll see white lines, they tell you where another line starts. That's what you'll click on to start what you want to see playing. The disc name is at the top of the page. I put the disc number and movie title in the disc name and leave the date in the title, but I add the day of the week. To make it come out right on each line, I have to move stuff around. I never have more than 1 title on a disc, I do TV series which have more than 1 title on a PC.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Thanks David, but I really didn't understand about the white lines, etc. Do you or anyone know if this is in the manual somewhere? I couldn't find it but maybe it's in there. All I saw was the mention of a keyboard coming up, and also the other blurb that I referred to (which was under naming the disc, not under naming the title).

I'm talking about using Easy Navi to name the title. You go to the "Edit title name" button. That brings you to the next screen with the keyboard and certain default information already inserted (the date and time, and also "Line1").

I can then enter the name, but when I save it, I only get 2 or 3 characters of my name displayed on the beginning page. So I get the default information displayed (the time and date) and a couple of characters of my name. The rest is not shown. I assume the rest would show if I put it on "Line2", but how the heck to you do that????

You said "I have to move stuff around" but I don't see how to do that. I'm probably just being stupid and missing something simple, but I still don't see it.

I don't want to finalize any more discs until I get this figured out.

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 77
I'm watching your posts closely. I'm having the same problem as T.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Hi James. Did you get your problem resolved? My CT-200 is working great (knock wood) and I haven't had any problems at all yet. I guess I've used about 60 TY discs so far and nary a problem with anything.

Knock wood again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3014
If you want to make your own title, you'll have to delete what's there, time, date, input. Use the arrow buttons at the bottom to get the cursor where you want, if you want to delete everything move the cursor to the end with the forward arrow and use backspace to delete everything. If you want to move something that's already there, use the arrows to get the cursor where you want, then use the space to move everything forward, or backspace to move everything back. Whatever is on the left side of the first white line will be on row 1, the top row, in the title box, anything past the first line and before the second white line will be row 2, anything after the second white line will be row 3.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
I must be doing something wrong. I deleted everything that was there and entered a long series of characters, well past the first white line and the second white line. But when I go back and display that title using Easy Navi, I see only "001" (the title number) and 20 of the characters that I entered as the title. The last character is followed by "..." and none of the rest of the characters are displayed. I'm not getting any 2nd or 3rd lines at all.

I'm stumped. The manual clearly states that each line of the title name can contain only 16 characters, which seems to pretty clearly indicate to me that you CAN have more than one line in your title, but I sure can't figure out how ya do that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Also, both my machines do it this way.

And I only get 11 characters between the white lines (not 16). If each of those white lines indicate a new line of the title name, they should each hold 16 characters (according to the manual).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3015
It will show up right when it's finalized, that ... is just because it won't all fit in that space. Are you counting spaces too? I just looked at one of mine, it has 14 characters on the second line
06:00pm Line:1.
If you count the space and all numbers and letters, it's 14. This is the way all my movies are, so I can't say wheather you'll get 16 or not, but it's still got a little space on the right side.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
I had thought that maybe it would come out differently after the disc was finalized, and meant to mention that, but forgot to.

As far as the # of characters goes, I just entered a series of q's (for no particular reason) with no spaces. It showed 11 between each of the white lines.

I'll go ahead and finalize a disc with a long title and see how it comes out. But it's a little strange that the manual doesn't describe this better (assuming it's not in there somewhere) because it kinda leaves you to trial and error to figure it out. You really need to know how it's going to display in order to plan things properly. Otherwise, you could end up with a finalized disc which splits a word into two parts.

I'm also curious to see how one of these discs displays in a different player (other than the D-R4) as far as these names go (the disc name and the title name). I'm yet to play one in one of my other players. There's really not much point in naming a disc or a title when the disc has only one thing on it (like the entire movie and nothing else), but title names might prove useful when there are other things on the disc (like some special feature stuff, etc.) if the player does display the various title names.

I guess I'll just have to do it and find out.

Thanks for your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3018
I use the disc name for the disc number and title, since there's only 1 thing on each disc. I leave what's already there for the title, I just move everything so that it comes out right line per line and add the day of the week. My exact process is to move the cursor 14 spaces back, then move the date and time 4 spaces forward, that puts everything between the first and second lines, then I move the cursor 14 spaces forward, that takes it to the end, then 2 spaces forward and I put in the day of the week, that puts it on the third line. I just noticed looking at a disc that the day of the week is 1 space to the right of the other 2 lines, so the third line may start 1 space inside the second line.

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 78
No, T, I haven't done much of anything since explaining my problem way back when. I'm involved in some other projects (honey-do list). I am also in the process of getting some education on PC's by doing the HP Tune Up course available online. Who knows, maybe I'll learn enough to fix my problem.

I'm also keeping my eye on your's & David's dialog. There is always something interesting going on with this thread.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Hi Jim. Keep on keeping on. You might find something of interest in my thread with David after all. Hope you do.

David -

Regarding your last post, I think I know what you're talking about there at the end, and I think maybe I've figured it out (or pretty much so). Here's what I think I see -

First of all, naming the disc is indeed all you probably really need if there's just one title on it, such as where you've got a complete movie on it which fills up the disc (or you're not interested in filling up any remaining space with anything).

But if you have some different things (titles) on a disc and want to identify them, then maybe it's a good idea to name them. It took me awhile to figure out what good it does to name titles because after the disc is finalized you no longer see the title name displayed using Easy Navi. And neither the disc name nor title name displays when you load a finalized disc into the D-R4. Maybe it does when you load it into another machine (?).

But, both the disc and title names DO display when you press the Top Menu button (on a finalized disc). And the title is shown with the same screen-shot that you see on an unfinalized disc using Easy Navi. After the disc is finalized, you no longer see either the title name or screen shot using Easy Navi.

The only disc I've done so far has just one title on it, but I suspect that on a multiple title finalized disc, all the titles (and screen shots) would be displayed using Top Menu.

Now, naming the disc is pretty simple. Ya just enter the name, limited to the 50 characters you have for that (more on that in a minute).

But, as you've noted, naming the title so that it displays as you want it, is a tad tricky. Rather than try to explain it (or really even figure it out), I think the best thing to say about it is to just go ahead and name it as best you can (spacing-wise). Then go through the start of the finalizing process, whereupon you have the opportunity to "preview" your title as presently set up. I think it's right after you select your title color, and that screen indicates that you can preview it by using the star button. Previewing it allows you to see if you've got everything set up right or not, and also shows what ya gotta do to get it right. I found that I was one character off (as your last post references at the end), so that the last character of the 1st line of my title was displayed on the 2nd line of my title, even tho' that character was inside the white line for the 1st line when I entered it at the "Edit title name" screen. So, I bailed out of the finalizing process at that point and went back and edited my title name accordingly by adding a space (or spaces) as necessary until I got it all set up and displaying the way I wanted it.

Since you can always edit and change your title (and disc) name before the disc is finalized, and you can always bail out of the finalization process after previewing your title name (and general setup), you can fiddle around this way until you get it right.

Now, as to characters per line and such, it looks to me like upper case letters take up more space such that you get less than 16 per line if you use any upper case letters. I used all upper case for my title name and I seemed to get a lot less than 16 per line. And you only get 3 lines displayed, so you've got to plan things when you've got a long title (like "The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre," which is the one I was fiddling with). Like you, I like to leave the date and time displayed, so that gives less room for a long title.

As far as those white lines go, they are useful as a guideline for sure, but it seems ya can't count on them with any certainty. As your post references, characters inside a given "white line" don't necessarily end up displaying on that line. The "white lines" are actually little white "backward capital 'L's" at the edit menu screen (pretty easy to identify for anyone confused by our reference to "white lines").

That seems to be about it.

I'm now going to take some time to finalize a "partials" disc I have. It contains the start of a few long movies as separate titles and naming each title will obviously be helpful in identifying what's on the disc in the event my Sharpie writing ever got wiped off (if that's even possible), or something else happens that I haven't even thunk of.

I like to do the beginning of long flicks as the "left over" part, then finish it up by filling up the 2nd disc. That way, I only get ten or twenty minutes into the thing before I have to switch discs and I can then sit back and enjoy the balace of it without further interruption. It's also usually easier to find a good spot to make the break early in the film, rather than at the end when things might have built to a climax (one would hope). It just seems a bit less intrusive to break a film up at the beginning rather than at the end.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3020
I didn't know about the preview thing, never saw that one. I used to do the same thing with split movies, put the beginning however much wouldn't fit on the first disc, then the last 2 hours on the second disc. Partially for the reason you stated and partly because I was recording from east/west satellite feeds and the ending would be on too late for me to stay up and record it sometimes. My 4DTV bit it though, so I don't have all those east/west feeds anymore.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
I kinda stumbled across the preview thing. It first shows up at the 3rd screen in the finalizing process, which is the screen right after the screen where you can edit the disc name (or just enter it initially). You'll see it as an option at the bottom of the screen (for the "star" button on the remote).

It's also available at the next screen (after you've actually chosen your color option).

Now, here's what happened with me on my "The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre" disc:

(I should have documented it better before finalizing it, but I didn't, so here's what I do know):

I cleared everything using "clear all" when naming the title. So I cleared out the time and date and everything. Since I didn't document exactly how it looked at the "edit title" screen or the preview screen, I'm still at the experimentation stage. But I THINK it didn't turn out (after finalization) the way I thought it would. Meaning the way it looked in the "preview" screen.

Because here's what it looks like as finalized next to it's screen shot (when Top Menu is pressed):

THE TREASURE
OF THE SIERR
A MADRE
(2:06:31)

I didn't enter the "(2:06:31)" part, that just entered itself. It's the total length of the recording on the disc (I max'd it out). It's also displayed differently than it's probably going to look above -- it's actually right-justified (against the border of the little display "box").

As you might have already guessed, my title didn't display as intended after it was finalized. I should have noted things more carefully but I'm pretty sure it displayed properly in the preview screen. Which means it changed from that screen to what it looks like now (as finalized).

You can see that I got only 12 characters per line using capital letters. If I had gotten 13, the "A" in SIERRA would have displayed on the 2nd line rather than being carried over to the 3rd line. I DON'T think that was a mistake on my part. I'm pretty sure it's simply a function of the fact that ya only get 12 capital letters per line after finalization. I'm also pretty sure that's NOT what the preview screen led me to believe was the case, or I would have made the proper adjustment before finalizing.

As you noted in your one post to me (at least I think you were saying this), the default date and time don't end up all being displayed on line 1 if ya just leave them as they are by default. If you don't change something, the last digit of the time gets carried to the 2nd line. So instead of getting this on the 1st line (which would be 16 characters):

2006/08/21 02:18

You get this:

2006/08/21 02:1
8pm Line:1

Which is only 15 characters on the 1st line, resulting in the 16th character (the "8") getting carried over.

That's how it shows up on the preview screen and that's also how it shows up after finalization. I checked one of my other finalized discs (maybe my only other one) that I hadn't messed with at all -- as far as this business goes -- and that's how it came out.

When I get some time, I'm going to look thru all the manuals to see if there's anything in there on all this crap. It looks like there are options (in the finalization process) to start a disc with a title other than title 1, but I can't seem to figure out how to change it.

Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3023
You can't start a disc with any title but title 1, but you can make it start on the menu. I do mine that way. I do the date on the first line, the time and input on the second and the day of the week on the third. Everything with more than 1 title I do on the PC, which allows a lot more control over what you can do with menus. Did you figure out how to set the thumbnail picture where you want? I do the title thumbnail where I want, then just leave the chapters the way they are.

Username: Plt

Sa, Tx Usa

Post Number: 1
Hi all -- I'm new to the board & the archival process -- what exactly is the ct-200, & where can it be purchased?

Username: Jastme

Post Number: 10
Hi all, JoAnne here again. Just wanted to let you all know that I really appreciate all your help. I have been able to copy all my vhs tapes to dvd even the Disney tapes which by the way was a challenge. They would not copy or play with my set up until I put one in the vhs player on my Panasonic combo unit, when it started to play, I took it out and put it in my external vhs player and tadaaaaaaaa it plays and copies. Who knows why but it works nonetheless. I only have to do this when I first start the unit to copy, if I have more than that one to copy it works fine for the next one until after I turn off the unit and restart it later. It is just one of those quirks that we run into with electronics, I guess. Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi John, welcome aboard

You have come to the right place to get help with copying vhs tapes to dvd. These guys & gals are good.

A ct-200 is a stablizer that you connect between an external vhs or dvd player and a dvd recorder to bypass the copyright when you copy them. I bought mine on EBay, I paid about $40 plus shipping.

Go back through the archives for June and you will be brought up to speed on this stablizer.

Username: Jenblake

I am thinking of buying the CT-200 to record our Disney and other kids VHS tapes to DVD. I say early on in the messages that some people were having difficulty with getting the Disney stuff to copy correctly, even with the CT-200. Has that problem been resolved? There are a LOT of our videos that are Disney and it would not be worth my $$ to not be able to copy them.

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 79
I think I have a bad stabilizer. I was checking out Red Pro online and DIMEX now has a next generation stabilizer called Grex. Has anyone had any experience with this one or heard any reviews on it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
James -

I just reviewed your August 13th 09:14 pm post above and I agree that what you noted there seemed to make no sense. You said you couldn't transfer anymore VHS to DVD and that you were getting the copy protection message with copy protected tapes and non-copy protected tapes alike.

The only thing I can figure is that your stabilizer is somehow sending a signal to your D-R4 that the D-R4 is interpreting as copy protection. You should take the CT-2 out of the loop and see what happens (with a non-protected tape).

You say you think you have a bad stabilizer. If I rememeber correctly, you have the CT-2. Why do you think it's bad? You should be able to confirm that it's good or bad fairly easily. If I were you, I wouldn't declare it bad and run out and get a replacement. You might just have the same problem still (if it's not the CT-2, getting the Grex ain't gonna cure it).

Are you using the CT-2 with a battery or power supply? I'd suggest using it with a power supply.

If I were you, I'd start at ground zero. Start with just your VCR and a non-protected tape and see if all works fine. Then add in the CT-2 and see what happens.

Then try it with a protected tape and no CT-2, then add the CT-2 back in.

You need to troubleshoot things in order to isolate the real problem.

Just a suggestion.

Jennifer, I have the CT-200 and I'm yet to find anything it doesn't work on. I haven't specifically tried any Disney tapes or DVDs, but I seriously doubt they'd be a problem.

I know my CT-200 works fine on "Crash," and that's a DVD that came out just about a year ago, so it's pretty recent.

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 80
T -

You're right, I shouldn't just assume the CT-2 is bad. I should have been more specific in my post. I have no intention of just replacing the stabilizer without first doing some troubleshooting. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess I was just thinking out loud (rather, typing out loud).

Yes, I am using a power supply with the CT-2. I never use batteries in anything if a power supply is an option.

I think I have too many irons in the fire. I'm working for the city transit service part-time, my wife & I have a small, independent floral delivery service, I'm copying VHS>DVD, loading all my CD music as well as my 45's & 33 1/3 records into the computer for later compilation. I think I need to slow down, perhaps take on one project at a time. But at my age, I'm afraid I may not have enough time left to get it all done.

The frustrating part is, I have always been a multi-tasker, even before it was a popular phrase. Now, multi-tasking is getting harder as I get older. As I said, I just need to slow down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
James -

I'd be interested in knowing if your CT-2 is indeed bad. Even tho' the 200 supposedly has an automatic power off thingie (when it's not in use), I always unplug it when I'm not actually using it. It does indeed get fairly hot during use, and I do think it's not a good idea to leave it on at all times.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Username: Skullpress

I have a toshiba Pre-2002 model m671 vcr and a samsung dvd-m301 I am able to copy any dvd to vhs will I be able to copy the vhs to a dvd recorder? I havent bought one yet to try it.

Username: Newf93

Post Number: 4
Okay, I need more help. I spent a night fighting with all the different electronics and cords until I finallly got my recorder to work. Or so I thought. So, last week, I FINALLY get a chance to "test it out," and try to record something off the TV. It seems to record, but when I try to playback, I get nothing but a black screen. Then I tried to record from my VCR - same thing happened. Can someone help? Do I not have it hooked up correctly? I have a TV, a VCR/DVD combo, and a DVR. I want to have it hooked up so that I can record from my DVR as well as my VCR (for when I'm copying vides/movie.) If you need me to tell you what wire or cable I have hooked into where, I can tell you that too, but only after I look. If you can tell me how to hook it up without that info, please share! Thanks.

Post Number: 5
Hello, anyone? I'd really like to start recording, but have no idea if it's hooked up correctly. PLEASE, if someone out there can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hi Nancy
I'm not sure whether I will be able to help you or not but I will give it a try. Everyone else helped me so much when I was having a problem copying vcrs to dvd, I will tell you what I can.

First are you just trying to record from your tv? If so, you will need to connect the dvr directly to your tv using the rear input/output jacks according to the manual for that unit. Disconnect the vcr/dvd player for now. Now you will be able to record from the tv as well as play dvds. Now how you have this connected may be the problem.

If it still does not work to record from and playback to the tv let me know. Remember you must play the recorded dvd on the same unit that it was recorded on, you can not play it on another unit. So you can not record on your dvr and play it back on the dvd/vcr combo player. After you record something you must 'finalize the disk' before it can be played on another unit, then you can not record anything else on the disk. I suggest you use a dvdrw or dvd ram disk for recording stuff that you do not want to keep. Then you can erase and record over it all the time.

Now as you will find in past archives, you will need a stablizer to copy movies from vcr or dvd to dvr unless they are noncopyright protected. All purchased movies are copyright protected.

I have just finished copying all of my vcr movies to dvd so I can play them on my home theatre system. I run a daycare and did not have a vcr connected to that tv so I now can play them on both systems.

The guys and gals from this forum helped me immensely. Go back to through the archives and see what has been said. Just read the June archives I think you find most of your answers.

Let me know if any of this helps.

JoAnne

Post Number: 6
I actually would like to have it set up so that I can record from both the VCR and the TV. I have them all on my entertainment center, and to have to unhook equipment each time I wanted to record something would be a major pain, as the thing weighs a ton. But, if that's not possible, I guess I'll have to make do. Right now my biggest priority would be to be able to record from the VCR, as I want to copy my movies (I already have the stabilizer) and I also want to copy all the videotaped things I've collected over the years - my house is being overrun by the over 200 videotapes I've recorded on and kept over the years! I will have a look back at the June archive - I had already read them a few months back, but I guess I forgot anything that would have answered my questions. Thanks for your advice JoAnne!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Don't get me wrong, you can have it set up so you can play or record without having to change anything but only under some circumstances.

I have a combo vhs/dvr with front inputs so I can record from a separate vcr or dvd players, and then play a movie without changing any of the hookups, but to record from the tv requires me to unhook the separate units before it will record from the tv.

The stablizer must be connected between the dvr and the separate vcr player. The video cable goes through the stablizer, and the audio cables can go direct from the player to the recorder.
Does your recorder have front inputs? That would make it so much easier.

It's difficult for me to visualize how you have it connected so if you could tell me what unit you have connected to what I could possibly help but I'm not nearly as good at this as the guys that helped me.

I first set up my dvr/vhs combo unit directly to my tv rear inputs, you have a separate dvr unit so this is the one you need to connect to the rear input/outputs per instructions that came with your dvr. then I connected the stablizer to my external vhs player, in your case it would be your combo players, then connected the stablizer to the front inputs on my dvr. And then the audio cables from the vhs player to the dvr front inputs. Remember you can not view any dvd created on your dvr on another dvd player until you have finalized the dvd. Did you try to play the copied or recorded dvd on the dvr?

I hope this helps. It makes perfect sense to me but I don't know how it sounds to someone reading it. Let me know.

JoAnne

Username: Tromie

hi i have a sima ct 1 copy this and its not working it will for a few seconds but then the message "this can not be copied" pops up. i tried it between my vcr/dvd combo to my dvr and from a portable dvd player to the dvr. the connections have to be right cause its only video in video out. i also tried it between the portable dvd and a standard vcr and it worked but the picture was full of lines when i played it back. does anybody know about this and can anybody help? please. if not i'll have to hook it up to my beta and try that.

Username: Bill038

San Diego, CA. USA

Can someone please tell me the difference in the Sima CT-2 and the CT-200?

Thanks bill038

Bronze Member
Username: Lthompson

Alabama

Post Number: 40
Bill, Go back to TMAX comments starting July 1, 06.
and then check on down from there, He gives a link to check out and also talks some about his. I have the CT200 but really dont know what the difference between the two.

San Diego, CA. USA

Post Number: 2
LThompson:
Have you found anything that you have had a problem backing up/ I have a huge amount of VHS tapes that I want to put on DVD's.

Bronze Member

Alabama

Post Number: 41
Bill, Once I finally got it hooked up correctly I had no problems at all. Its really amazing that it really works.

San Diego, CA. USA

Post Number: 3
I purchased a 200 off of e-bay two weeks ago, but I am having a hard time getting the guy to ship it. It is far past due and his last e-mail is it hasn't shipped yet.

They are not really that hard to hook up are they?

Bronze Member

Alabama

Post Number: 42
Hi, Bill, No the CT200 is very easy to connect up. One cord in and one out. But My problem was the cords between VCR and DVD combo unit. I am not to smart about such as that. But the 200 itself is very easy, You sound like you might have got yours from the same guy that i got mine from on ebay. It took almost a month to get it but he finally did ship, just keep emailing him. He was in California, but I cant remember who he was.The first stablizer I bought on ebay was another type and it didnt work. The guy refused a refund and Paypal and Ebay ruled against me even though it didnt do what he said it would do. That guy is still selling them on ebay. But its not a CT200 so dont worry. Good Luck, Linda

San Diego, CA. USA

The guy is in Calif. I am just about 100 miles from him. I think he sells things he dosen't have. I have a dvd recorder and vhs all in one and I am kid of anxious to see it I can get it hooked up without having to use another vhs player. I don't have a capture card in the computer, but I want to do this without using the computer, if I can.

Bronze Member

Alabama

Post Number: 43
It probably is the same guy, I felt the same thing that he sold it and didnt have it, I did get it finally and it was in ok shape.
If you have a combo unit VHS/DVD player and recorder , which is what I have, I think it was determined that you can't use it to copy VHS to DVD copyrighted material you have to have a seperate VHS recorder. If you start back around April 1, 2006 and read all the entries, you will see several of us were fighting with this problem.
Good luck, Linda

San Diego, CA. USA

I have read the above posts and figure I will have to hook up another vhs player.

I have filed a dispute with ebay and paypal. I haven't heard back from anyone. The money wasn't that much, it's just getting ripped off and nothing done about it.

This guy has about 26 negetives this month. I should have checked him out before I bid.

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 81
Hi Everybody,

It has been awhile since I have checked this site and I see there are still people with copy problems.

I'm not as good at this as David & TMax, but I will try to help out as much as I can. Maybe one or both of them will chime in here and help out.

As for eBay, even though David & TMax have had luck with it, I personally don't recommend buying electronics there. I bought my stabilizer there and since it didn't come with a guarantee, I am out one stabilizer.

1st, you can use a combo unit as a player OR a recorder, not both (for copying copy-protected VHS and/or DVD). The reason being, the internal circuitry recognizes copy-protect code and will not allow copying. You need to place a stabilizer in the video circuit to remove the code and this can't be done with a combo unit.

Whether using a combo unit or two stand-alone units, they need to be two seperate units.

On the unit you use as the player (source), connect the red & white (stereo) RCA cable ends to the AUDIO OUT or OUTPUT of the unit. Connect the other end of the same cable to the AUDIO IN or INPUT of the recorder (target). The AUDIO does not need any decryption.

Now, connect the yellow RCA cable end to the VIDEO OUT or OUTPUT of the player and the other end of the same cable to the IN or INPUT of the stabilizer. Connect another yellow RCA cable end to the OUT or OUTPUT of the stabilizer and the other end to the VIDEO IN or INPUT of the recorder. The stabilizer removes the copyright code so that the recorder will record the VHS or DVD.

Now connect the recorder VIDEO & AUDIO OUTPUT to the TV.

If the stabilizer uses batteries only, make sure they are fresh. I recommend getting a stabilizer that uses an AC/DC converter.

One more thing. If you want to record TV programs, connect your antenna or cable from the cable service to the input of the source player. Connect the output of the recorder unit to the TV (for viewing). This way you can record copy-protected TV programs also.

San Diego, CA. USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks James, I have just got a e-mail from my seller and he has misplaced my unit, but said he would send me another as soon as he gets some more. I think he was selling something he didn't have.

I have used your instructions and have everything hooked up (except the stabalizer) and will get busy when I get one.

Thanks again Bill

Username: Darreljohnpoppino

Indianapolis, IN USA

I bought a Samsung DVDR/VHS Combo recorder model VR-320, i was able to record 1 VHS movie to DVD but all the others I cannot due to copyright protection on the VHS tape; is there a way to bypass that or some firmware to modify the the combo's program? I would appreciate the help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3075
Your question has been answered in this thread many times.

Username: Minnie_mo

Okay...I just learned (after spending a load on the combo machine, dvd's, labels, cases, etc.) that I cannot backup my old Disney VHS tapes to DVD. These tapes are not going to last forever, so I wanted a "hard" copy to keep for my grandkids. I can return the combo unit, and purchase a solo DVD recorder, but I would like recommendations on the type of stabilizer I need to purchase. I found the website with the CT2-GoDVD unit for $100. Is there another one that is as good (or better) for less $? Thanks all!

Bronze Member

Alabama

Post Number: 45
I bought the GoDVD CT200 on ebay for $20.00 something and it works great with a seperate DVD recorder and my old VHS player. I do use the DVD recorder on my combo unit but have to have a seperate VHS player. You should take the time to read all entries I would say in this year. Most any questions that you have come up will be answered thee somewhere. Linda

Username: Minnie_mo

Thanks for your info., Linda!

Anyone know if there a difference between the CT200 unit and the CT-2 unit?

Bronze Member
Username: Crazide

Post Number: 11
It's me again. Yeah it's been awhile. Just wondering if anyone has found if it is possible to copy DVD copywrites to DVD blanks, using a DVD player and a serperate DVD Recorder and stabilizer?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Oh yeah ... is there any special name brand on the DVD player I need to stay clear of?
I only have a VHS and a DVD Recorder - seperate units.
Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Please allow me to clarify that I understand that it is best for picture quality to go the PC route when copying copywrite DVD's,(I think I've read this thread from beginning to now, whew!) but I don't have any of that in my computer; therefore I was going to borrow a DVD player, but didn't want to do all this if there were some name players that aren't worth the effort.

And my recorder is a + recorder ... in other words my discs must have the + sign on them, will it matter if the player isn't?

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
G. - If I understand your first question correctly, the answer is "yes." You can copy a copy-protected DVD using a stabilizer between the DVD player and the DVD recorder. Any DVD player should work as long as it plays the DVD. As to your last question, the fact that your recorder takes only "+" discs is irrelevant. You'll end up with a copy on a "+" disc which thus will only play in players that accept those discs, but that's the only relevance I can see. It doesn't matter what the disc you're copying is (+ or - or whatever) as long as the player plays it. Your recorder is copying the signal output from the player, so the +/- aspect is totally irrelevant.

I'm doing all my DVD copying the way you're asking about. That is, DVD player to DVD recorder, using the CT-200 in between the two. I haven't yet found a DVD that the CT-200 can't handle.

So go get yourself a stabilizer (I highly recommend the CT-200), borrow a DVD player, get some blank discs for your recorder, and make yourself some copies.

Minnie - You need to read the thread. See my July 01, 2006 post, which as of now is still in this thread and not yet in the archives. I think your question is covered in that post. I also posted the link to the Sima site (on July 13, 2006). So check out that link for more information.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Help!
I purchased a Low priced Magnovox MWD200G DVD player to play the DVD's on that I wanted to copy. I already had an RCA DVD Recorder and a MCM Stabelizer. And I must say the MCM has worked great from VCR to DVD Recording or transfering.

I connected the three for copying, The DVD player, the stabelizer and DVD recorder and the copywrite potection screen, pops up on the screen.

I have the Stabelizer in's and outs as I had them connected to my VCR. The only difference is I connected the S Video cable from the player to the recorder. On my VCR there was no place for a S Video Cable.

What's wrong?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Help!
I purchased a low priced Mavavox MWD200G player to play my DVD's on with hopes of transfereing/recording them on a RCA DVD Recorder.

I connected the MCM stabelizer, that I already had and was working properly when transfering movies from my VCR to DVD recorder, as I had it connected from my VCR, to DVD Recorder, But when I try to copy from DVD Player to DVD Recorder it gives me the copywrite protection screen.

What am I doing wrong?

The only difference I see is the player has NO input button as my VCR does.

I can also see that the Magnavox MWD200G is what my TV screen has on it when turned on, whereas, with my VCR and DVD recorder when all inputs are set on one, for instance, input1, the screen is completely blank.

David or Tmax, Got any info?
I'll take all I can get.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Problems posting here today.
ONE MORE TIME!!!

I purchased a Magavox MWD200G DVD Player to play DVD's on with hopes of transferring/copying them to my RCA DVD recorder.

I already had a MCM stabelizer that wprked great with my VCR and DVD Recorder in transferring.

I connected the stabelizer to the DVD player just as it was connected from my VCR, to the DVD Recorder, only when I try to record I get the copywrite protection screen.

What am I doing wrong?

David or Tmax got any information?
Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
G-

I think you need to deep-six the MCM and get one of the Sima stabilizers, either the CT-200 or CT-2.

The fact that you're seeing the Magnavox MWD200G display on your TV screen when you turn everything on suggests that it's all hooked up and working properly. Here's some suggestions:

1) You might try recording a DVD that's not copyright protected (if you have one) to confirm this. If you have access to a DVD that's a copy someone else has made (which should be stripped of the copyright signal) you could try that. Or you could try an older DVD that might not have a very high level of copyright protection which the MCM might thus be able to handle. It sounds like that's what's going on with the copying you're doing with your VCR; namely, that those tapes don't have a very high level of copyright protection (and thus the MCM is handling them okay).

2) You might also try copying a much more recent videotape (with a high level of copyright protection) to see if that gives you the copyright message. A recent Disney tape should probably serve the purpose. That would confirm that your MCM just isn't up to the task even tho' it works with lower levels of copyright protection.

3) Now, having said all that, let me also suggest that perhaps the problem is your S-video cable connection. I'm not familiar with the MCM and I doubt that the connection is the problem, but before you go any further try reconnecting everything using regular RCA cable connections instead of the S-video connection. That is, connect the yellow RCA cable from the player to the input side of the MCM and the output side of the MCM to the video input connection of the recorder (using a 2nd RCA cable -- which doesn't have to be yellow, by the way -- any RCA cable will do fine).

The audio cables connect directly from player to recorder.

You obviously already know how to do this since you've made VCR copies using only RCA cable connections.

Try it that way with the DVD player and see what happens.

Bottom line is that I suspect that the problem is that the MCM just isn't able to handle the level of copyright protection that the DVDs you're trying to copy have. Still, I'd try the other things first to confirm it if I were you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
You obviously already know how to do this since you've made VCR copies using only RCA cable connections.

Tmax, I don't use ANY RCA cables when copying/transferring from VCR to DVD. That is new to me. But I'll try it.

I disconnected the the S video cable completly, and left the MCM stabelizer connected but could still view the copywrite DVD thru my DVD recorder, but unable to copy it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
G -

You have me totally confused.

You said:

"Tmax, I don't use ANY RCA cables when copying/transferring from VCR to DVD. That is new to me. But I'll try it."

Do you know what I mean when I say "RCA cables"?

I mean the "normal" cables you use when you're not using S-video cables. There are 3 of them. One with red ends, one with white ends, and one with yellow ends. You need 2 yellow cables if you're using a stabilizer (except, as I already said, they don't have to actually be yellow).

If you didn't use those on your VCR, I don't know what you did use. Although it's possible to hook a VCR to a DVD recorder using only the coaxial cable connection, you can't use a stabilizer with that setup. And you said that you did (use the stabilizer). So I'm assuming that you used RCA cables (since you said your VCR has no S-video connection).

You also said previously -

"I have the Stabelizer in's and outs as I had them connected to my VCR. The only difference is I connected the S Video cable from the player to the recorder. On my VCR there was no place for a S Video Cable."

That also confuses me. I don't see how you can have both "the Stabelizer in's and outs as I had them connected to my VCR" AND also use an S-video cable. You need to use EITHER RCA cables OR S-video cables (I assume you need 2 S-video cables because the second one connects the MCM to the recorder). I don't believe that you can mix and match. If you're using both RCA cables and an S-video cable, that could be your problem. Furthermore, you said you connected the player to the recorder via the S-video cable but you didn't mention that you had the stabilizer in between the two. You can't hook them up directly or the recorder will receive the copyright signal and not allow copying.

I'm assuming that the MCM has S-video connectors (both in and out) as does my CT-200.

By the way, even if you could mix and match, there's no good reason to do it. The S-video cable gives superior video quality but if you "mix and match" it with an RCA cable, you lose the benefit and it's the same as using all RCA cables.

I am also confused by your prior statement: "The only difference I see is the player has NO input button as my VCR does."

I don't know what you're referring to there. I meant to mention that before.

I suggest that you go back to square one and connect your DVD player to your DVD recorder EXACTLY as you did when you were using your VCR as the player. Forget about the S-video cable for now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
G -

Just re-read your post and it looks like you DID eliminate the S-video cable from the equation. And it appears that you are still getting the copyright message when you try to copy.

And that you can view the DVD when hooked up as you have it.

So you can view it, but you can't copy it. When you try to copy, you get the message and it then bombs out.

Correct?

So it sounds like your MCM isn't filtering out the signal.

I assume that you have the MCM hooked up properly. You said it was still hooked up, and I assume you've got the "in" and "out" connections correct.

If you search this thread (and recent archives) for "MCM" I think you'll find some posts that have said it's not a very good unit and that it doesn't work for the newer copyright protections.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Tmax,To answer your questions: I'm assuming that the MCM has S-video connectors (both in and out) as does my CT-200.

No the MCM has what you are calling RCA connections. Therefore I guess I do use them, they'e just not yellow, red, & white. Anyway they work.

You said ...So you can view it, but you can't copy it. When you try to copy, you get the message and it then bombs out.

Correct?
To answer this question, YES!
And, Yes I disconnected the S video cable.

I did as you suggested ... I tried recording a copied DVD ... the DVD recorded it. That tells me it is hooked up correctly.
I even went back to May 2006 re-read this thread where David said there was a setting inside the MCM to set. I opened it up and began to do the quarter turns as he suggested, but all to no avail

Then, I tried to copy I Walk The Line... Copywrite screen appears. OK I tried another movie thinking maybe this had more copy protected material than another, but I was WRONG. Same ol copywrite protection.

I do have my VCR and my DVD recorder both connected to the TV and Cable where I can hit record on either when I want to record something. I also have the stabelizer looped between the two with the, I guess, RCA cables. I've had it this way with two VCR's for years! And when I wanted to 'dub'/copy all I had to do was pop a bought tape in one and hit record on the other.

Update, just to see if my stabelizer was working properly ... I switcthed ... I'm recording it from DVD to VHS ... and guess what it is recording it!!!! This blows what little electronic mind I have.
But it WILL NOT record from DVD to DVD. I hate it! GRRRRRRR.

Sorry if I confused you, but I am too :-)
If I knew the Sima ct-200 would work I'd buy one, but I don't want to invest too much more in this.
Thank You Tmax

BTW the way where's David? Hello.......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Oh yeah about the inputs.

One of my RCA manuals stated that to get a clear quality picture both VCR and DVD Recorder should be on INPUT either INPUT video1 or INPUT video2, and TV on channel 3. I've just always did this after reading that. And there's noway to set the DVD player to any type of INPUT.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
In a previous post I said the DVD was recording to VHS ... it was, it did, but when I ran it back to view the quality, It was poor. Lines across the screen. This one must have a HEAVY dose of Macrovision. GRRRR.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
G -

Okay, I do see now that your MCM does not have any S-video connections. I've seen these pictured on ebay, but it's been awhile. Here's what Goggle led me to -

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=80-4280

I assume that's what you've got.

Those connectors that you see there are "RCA" connectors. I refer to the cables that have those connectors as "RCA cables." They are generally referred to as "video/audio cables" and are the cables shown in the top connection diagram at the Red Pro site -

http://www.xdimax.com/dvd/dvdredpro.html

Since there are no S-video connections on the MCM stabilizer, and since you said you originally had your DVD player hooked directly to your DVD recorder via the S-video cable, I have to assume that you had the player and recorder hooked up via BOTH connections (via the MCM and via the S-video cable). That's obviously no good because even if the MCM were filtering out the copyright signal, the recorder would still be getting it via the S-video cable direct connection.

So disconnecting the S-video cable was mandatory.

I think it's pretty clear now that your problem very simply is that your MCM isn't filtering out the copyright signal. It's just not very good at that, which is why it's 20 bucks.

I can assure you that the CT-200 will do what you want. I think the CT-2 will do as well, but I don't have any actual experience with it, so I can't personally recommend it.

As to your statement: "And there's noway to set the DVD player to any type of INPUT", I'd guess that's probably not true. Your DVD recorder probably has more than one set of inputs (maybe both in the rear or maybe one set in the rear and one set in the front) and if so, then you can (and must) "set the input." Your owners' manual should cover it.

But not to worry. If you can view a DVD (which you can) then you've got it set correctly.

If your DVD recorder has only one set of inputs, then you obviously can't set the input. In which case, your statement is correct.

Your VCR isn't as sensitive to the copyright signal as your DVD recorder, and also most likely doesn't have the capability of "bombing out" the recording when it detects the signal (like your DVD recorder can). Thus you were able to MAKE the recording, but also thus you got a bad recording (with the effect of the copyright signal intact). That's why you COULD record it on your VCR.

You can pick up a CT-200 for $50 or less (including shipping) on ebay if you take your time about it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
G -

I just noticed that the MCM site that I linked in my last post says: "makes perfect copies of any video tape. Compatible with all types of VCRs and TVs."

Notice that it doesn't mention DVDs at all. And it doesn't state that it's compatible with DVD recorders (DVRs). Which pretty much tells you that it's limited to making copies of video tapes, not DVDs.

In fact, I'm sure there are plenty of recent video tapes out there that it won't handle; especially if you're trying to make a DVD copy of the tape because most DVD recorders are too sensitive to copyright signals.

If you're using an older VCR to make the copy, it might work for that because that VCR most likely isn't as sensitive to the copyright signal(s).

All of which means that the MCM isn't going do what you're trying to get it to do.

Get the Sima. You won't be disappointed with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Finding the Sima at a reasonable price is the problem right now. Plus they seem to be phasing out. Found one on Ebay today but the seller is new and has NO feedback. Kinda leary of that.

Thanks a bunch T. I'll keep looking.

Bronze Member

Alabama

Post Number: 46
G,
I have been reading this because I am about ready to try the DVD to DVD, I have been coping VHS to DVD with a GoDVD CT200 works great. I bought a cheap DVD player at lunch today and I am going to give that a try. I found 2CT 200s on ebay you might want to look at.
I just typed in CT200 and it pulled up 2. The numbers are 150055504220 and 160047671054. looks like there is a lot of interest in them.
Good luck. Linda

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Last evening after reading Linda's post I searched ebay for "sima ct" (without the quotation marks) and got 27 hits, many of which were for the CT-200. You need to try several different combinations if you want to find everything. You should also try "go dvd" "godvd" "sima go", etc. Basically try any way a seller might have listed it in his/her title. Searching for "sima" will pull up a lot of hits to be searched thru (too many for me).

One of my hits, item 130044136405, which ended about 40 minutes after I did my search, went for a winning bid of $46.25 w/ shipping of $10, for a total of $56.25. It's "lightly used" and looks to be complete and in the original packaging. That's a good deal and money well-spent. If you want to get one significantly cheaper, you will have to be patient and get lucky. Whatever you do, don't get a 200 without a power supply unless you're going to use your own power supply that works with it (and you really have to know what you're doing if you're gonna do that). The 200 requires the AC power supply as it has no battery capability. I THINK the CT-2 can be powered with a battery, but not the 200.

You don't need to get the manual with the 200 because it's available for download online at the Sima site (for free).

There are still many CT-2's up for sale on ebay and I believe (as I've said many times) they are just as good as the 200 as far as filtering out copyright signals goes. I also believe it has been discontinued and replaced by the 200, which has more "features." But for some strange reason, the CT-2 still seems to command a higher price on ebay.

I'm just trying to be helpful. If it wasn't for this board and David's help (in particular), I might well have purchased an MCM myself, and been VERY unhappy.

Not to mention that I also found out which recorder and discs to get.

Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Linda, let me know how the recording goes with DVD to DVD. I'm very interested. I do this for my own purpose, no piracy here, I just make copies of gospel things and give to the elderly and shut-ins.

T, thanks for the input on the Simas. I've been watching ... guess I've just let a couple good deals get away... due to not WANTING to stay up LATE and slide that last bid in. I'm on the east coast and three hours makes a difference.

Going to google Ebay again. :\

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
One of my hits, item 130044136405, which ended about 40 minutes after I did my search, went for a winning bid of $46.25 w/ shipping of $10, for a total of $56.25

That's the one I was watching and got sleepy and went to bed on. Should have stayed up and bid ... oh well, hopefully there will be another good deal.

Bronze Member

Alabama

Post Number: 47
G. I found several under Video Digital Stabilizer on ebay, might want to look at those. I have a little while before I try the DVD to DVD.I will let you know. Linda

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 82
G., Just want to jump in here with a tip for biding on ebay. You don't have to stay up late. Just enter the top amount you are willing to pay and ebay will bid for you, up to the amount you specify as your limit. Then, just check the next day to see if you won.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
G -

You don't need to wait for Linda's feedback on the DVD to DVD recording. I've been doing it with the CT-200 for a few months now. I haven't had any problems and am yet to find a DVD that the CT-200 can't handle, and I've done some very recent ones. It's just "real time" recording. You play the DVD on the player and record it on the recorder (with the stabilizer in line between player and recorder).

Linda - When I do an ebay search and want to find everything, I don't search a particular category (such as "Video Digital Stabilizer"). I use the general search box at the upper right. That will get you everything on ebay that has your key word(s). Searching by category can be tricky, especially for something like the Sima, which gets listed under a number of different categories.

That's why I said that searching for "Sima" will get a LOT of hits (a lot of stuff other than their stabilizers).

Bronze Member

Alabama

Post Number: 48
Tmax, thanks for your opinion. Thats why this board has been so helpful, everyone has a varity of different suggestions and ways of doing things. I might give yours a try the next time I am searching for something on ebay.
Linda

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thanks to all.

James, I know I can do the bidding the way you suggested, and I thank you, but I ALWAYS get outbid that way... sometimes by just a few cents also!!! :-( So I just try to stay with it and slide in the last moment and snatch it!

Linda, I'm watching one now, and will try my stragety. HOPE, HOPE, I get it.

T. Thanks for letting me know it works, that helps me to bid a little higher than I would not knowing it would work.

This is GREAT and HELPFUL site with nice folk on it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3105
If you want to do DVDs, scrap the stabilizer and buy a burner. You'll get a lot better quality a lot faster. Burners last far longer than standalone recorders.

Bronze Member

Alabama

Post Number: 49
David I have a DVD and CD burner on my Dell but I am not to smart with installing things on my computer and i dont feel to comfortable installing those shrink programs, not knowing what to do. I have them saved to my desktop but that is as far as I have gone with them.
Linda

Gold Member

Post Number: 3106
They're very easy to use. Once you've ripped the DVD to the HD, you just start Shrink and walk away until it's done.

Bronze Member

Alabama

Post Number: 50
Maybe I will give it a shot. I have some that I really would like to do. guess it cant hurt anything if i do something wrong

Gold Member

Post Number: 3107
You can PM me if you want and I can guide you through it.

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 83
David, How is your knowledge of capturing VHS to the Hard Drive and then burning it to a DVD? I have an external +/- double layer CD/DVD burner attached to my computer, but I still haven't figured out how to get the VHS captured onto the HD. I downloaded the free Windows Movie Maker Encoder 9, but I keep getting a message "can't find the codec required to open this program". I can hear the VHS audio through the computer speakers, but I can't get any video, and I can't get it to the HD. Any suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3108
I've never done VHS on a PC, I use the standalone. Supposedly it's a pain to get it right.

Username: Dougo13

Best place for PC to DVD is at videohelp.

I used to capture with an underpowered PIII but since getting my first DVD recorder in 2003, I have not done it since. It's actually quite simple depending on you computer stats. I'd have to know what yours is before giving a recommendation. The recorder is easier to use and I don't get problems like out of sync audio anymore but many recorders are using inferior parts and poor encoder hardware. How do you think they can sell them at under $100? Now you know...

And yet, with that in mind, I do have a couple cheap Liteon 5001 units and have recommended Liteon 5005 units to friends. These are very copy protected tape friendly once you "upgrade" them. My 5001 will copy just about anything as it doesn't detect Macrovision, broadcast flags, etc. The newer units can't be hacked (alas) but these old units are great for "special projects". I just picked up a 2nd unit (Akai DVDRW120) for $49 but haven't run it's firmware upgrade yet.

Your problem with codecs can probably be solved by loading a good DVD player program like Cyberlink Power DVD. Your computer is missing the Mpeg codec. Don't use codec packs if you can as they may cause problems for your computer. It's best to only load up what you'll need.

Username: Brbales

I have a Toshiba D-R4. Does anyone know how to disable or get around the copy write issue. I have Childrens VHS tapes that I would like to copy to DVD so I can play the tapes while traveling. Help!!! Also does anyone know how to make it zone free?

Username: Brbales

Zone Free? I currentlly purchased a Sony DVP-FX810 portable DVD Player. I need to play Japaneese children videos (Different Zone). Does anyone know of a way to disable the zone feature or of a zone free portable?

Username: Dougo13

You'll probably need a copyguard eliminator device like the Sima one touted around here to put between the VCR and the DVD Recorder. Barring that, you'd have to get one of the recorders that ignores copyguard like the 5000 series Liteon units. As for that Sony player, no Zone defeat has been found for it. Better to get one of the Chinese ones that can be defeated. Sony doesn't like things like defeating the region encoding because they own that movie studio (Columbia) and they want to market things differently in the countries they are involved in. The Chinese hate the regional encoding and so, most of their players have hacks...

Username: Quickbeam

I'm new here and a techno-idiot (I did read a lot of the archived posts). I have a house full of VHS movies that I couldn't ignore any more. I've finally begun the task of converting them all to DVD. I have a combo machine (Sony 530) and I've been extremely happy with the results.

Everyone told me how I'd never be able to dub my pre-recorded tapes to DVD. I've done about 100 of them and I've only had one kick out due to copy protection, "Peggy Sue Got Married". My tastes run to indie and foreign films and that seems to have helped. I also stopped buying VHS tapes about 1998, I think.

I am trying to find out if there is a date by which most tapes were copy protected. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.

I've gotten more out of reading here than anywhere else I've studied on the topic. Thanks to all.

Username: Dfarrales

Hi all... new here and first post. I was referred here when I posted a question about VHS to DVD recording on a fantasy football site

Anyway, I recently bought a JVS DR-MV5 VHS/DVD Recorder combo. I'm basically transferring home videos from VHS and from Mini-DV tapes. The unit works fine for VERY basic recording... but no good for menus, custom chapter marks, etc.

I'm looking for something (can be standalone DVD recorder VS the combo units) that will let me create a basic menu with custom chapters w/ and use thumbnails relatively EASILY. I would need this to play on most other DVD units so I guess it would need to be able to do this on DVD-R??? (which this JVC won't allow me to do).

I've surfed the messages and have seen reference to the Toshiba D-R4. I checked ebay and they're definately in my price range.

Am I on the right track? Any other models to look at?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
D -

Search the archives for "D-R4" and you'll find lots of good info as well as the fact that David (Massey) recommended it to me, whereupon I went to ebay and bought one + one more for backup. Both work great and I am very happy with them. I am also very happy with the TY discs he recommended (I STILL haven't had a dud or ANY problem with them) as well as the Sima (CT-200) stabilizer.

David is da man and I did not do much research at all on standalone recorders so I'm not at all up to speed on current models. You should know that the D-R4 was discontinued and is not a current offering by Toshiba, as was the case when I got mine last June. So I can't speak with any authority as to whether there are current models out there that do as well or better. But I suspect that you're not going to do any better at the price you can get on a D-R4 on ebay (if you're careful), and I suspect that the fact that David was recommending it as recently as June is probably pretty good proof of that.

If you get a D-R4 and a Sima stabilizer, you should be able to use your combo's VCR as the tape player and output it to the D-R4 thru the Sima, and thereby copy any VHS tape out there.

If you're only going to copy home videos, you won't need the Sima (obviously).

The D-R4 seems to have a lot of versatility in creating chapters and such, but David is really the one to cover that with you.

Just a silly point to note which I have been thinking of mentioning: When the time change kicked in last month, one of my D-R4's automatically changed its time while the other one didn't. I think I posted the manufacture dates on my units and they were only a few months apart (if that much). I'm assuming the newer one changed, but I really haven't checked to see.

Just thought I'd mention it. Since I have them right next to each other, it was pretty apparent when it happened.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
T or David, I FINALLY found a SIMA CT2 on Ebay that the price was OK ... 55.00 total w/S&H.
Now how many of the yellow video cables am I going to need? I saw a hook up diagram somewhere in my Ebay browsing ... it looked as though I'll need 3? You tell me. Ya'll are already doing this.

Oh yeah will the RCA cables that I already have work? You know they are kinda molded together.
If so which color should I use?
I just thought I'd ask while I'm waiting for my Sima to arrive...I want to be ready when it gets here. :-)
Happy Thanksgiving to EVERYONE

Gold Member

Post Number: 3117
You need 4 cables in all. 2 audio cables to go straight from the player to the recorder, 1 video cable into the Sima, 1 out of the Sima. The color of the cables makes no difference, but for ease of connecting, everything should be color coded, yellow/video white/left red/right.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3118
DFarrales, if you want to insert chapters and make custom menus, you'd probably be best to use a PC authoring program. You could buy a DVD recorder with a hard drive, but it would cost more than an authoring program. PC burners are only about $30 these days and from my experience last far longer than standalone recorders do. I use TMPGEnc DVD Author. It's free for 30 days, then it's $70 to buy last I knew.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16.html

You can get an NEC burner from Newegg for around $30 last I knew. Get the 4550 or whatever it is now, not the 7000 series which are a joint venture with Sony.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3119
TMax, there's an option in clock setting for "summer use" I think it's called, anyway whatever it's called if it's on then the clock will change automatically, if it's off it won't. Not all states use daylight savings time, Arazona doesn't, there may be others too. I think that's why there's an on/off option.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us