Could my problem be due to splitter?

Username: Ekaplan

Post Number: 1
I have a HD LCD TV in my living room and a cable modem in my bedroom. The cable signal coming into the apartment is split between the two but all the cable wires are in the walls (behind based boards) and not accessible. Every so often the picture on my TV freezes or gets interrupted (like a mosaic) even though the sound continues. This happens more frequently on the HD channels. Is there a problem with a wire in the wall? Could this be fixed with a new splitter? Is it a problem with my TV. Please help.

Username: Mcolan

Post Number: 2
The freezing and mosaic is caused by a weak signal. The signal is weak enough that too many bits are lost, causing a data error. The TV waits until it finds a complete packet it can display, then resumes. I had this problem when I used an indoor TV antenna, and it went away when I used an outdoor antenna instead.

The problem could be an inadequate signal from the cable company, poor quality cables used in your house, or the splitter.

To determine which, run a quality cable from the outside connection (NOT the splitter) to the TV. If you still have a problem, call the cable company and tell them your incoming signal is too weak.

It could also be the splitter. The inexpensive, unamplified types cause a lot of loss. You could try replacing the one you have with an amplified (power) 2-way splitter, such as the Channel Master 3043. The amplifier might also help if your cables are of poor quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us