Archive through March 18, 2007

Username: Ptran

Post Number: 1
Hi all

My TV set kdf-50we655 has the same problem as
Tim Griffith's
" Ihave a Sony KDF50WE655 that I purchased from CC in December 2004. When I came home tonight and turned the TV on, there was a long delay with the green power button flashing for more than a minute with nothing on the screen, then when the TV finally came on, all I have is multi colored vertical lines filling the screen.

Called Sony's worthless support line and the rep had me turn off the TV, unplug it and then plug it back in again. That did not help and the delay occured again followed by a screen covered with multi colored vertical lines. Using the remote, I tried to get the menu to appear, but nothing but the multi colored vertical lines appears on the screen."

Does anyone know the way to ask Sony to cover the
repair expense ??

THanks a lot
Happy New year all

P Tran

Username: Rubyleefrances

I have a SONY KDF-42WE655. Rip Off. I have a blue haze on the screen. Apparently dust in the the optical block, $800 to $900 to repair.

I contacted Sony about the problem and was polite, they put me on to their customer relations department, who basically said "tough".

So after 2 years your $2000 + tv goes bad, with a known defect and you have to pay out another $1000 to get it repaired, oh, dont forget the $200 for new lamps.

I would like to hear from all previous postees on wether they were happy with the outcome with Sony customer service. I am seriously pissed off, and if I get enough names I will start a class action suit against Sony. Talking to the customer service people, they know this is a common problem, Sony needs to be held responsible

Username: Dsullo

Post Number: 2
Hey Fred- Sorry to hear about your problem. I am at the 2 year mark as well. I am trying to be optomistic, but I feel like everytime I turn on my TV, I roll the dice.
Did you have an extended warrenty?

Username: Blue_heeler

I gotta KDF10XBR950 with the now infamous blue haze over the screen. Sony initially claimed no record of my extended service contract. After 16 faxes, they finally got it. Then they sent an incompetent technician to repair it. After 4 weeks of back and forth and no resolution, Sony finally instructed me to take it to another authorized technician. In short, I have been dealing with customer "support" since August of '06 and have been without a TV now for near two months with no solution to the problem in sight. From a product support perspective, a complete and utter nightmare. Hell, I'd be happy if they just gave me my money back now that I know better.

Username: Vwmvwm

Hello You all,

I have the same Sony WEGA LCD 54". Yes, I have the same problems as all of you people.. My broke down after 3 month but luckly its still under manufacture warranty. I got it fix but about a year my tv appear to have blue spot here and there.. and started to go off on its own and came back on after like a minute... anyone one have any idea how to fix that and what is causing that to happen....

It seem like we all having the same problems here so i think we all should complain to Sony and have them recall the tv or do something about it. If anyone start to complain to Sony and needs support i'll back them up...

Post Number: 3
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/sony_rear_projection_lcd_tv

Anyone know if this is a scam or not? If there is a class action lawsuit, I would like to know about it.

Username: Spike1964

Or try this link:

http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com/lcd-problems.php

Username: Ricklamberson

I have a KDF-60XS955. Two years old, no plan. Blue bar across bottom of screen that fades up into the screen at times. Service tech says it's a bad light engine $630 plus $185 labor. Sony will only pay half the bill because it isn't the same sqiggly line problem they show on their website.
I agreed to pay the tech for my half, but I hope to take it up with sony again after I get the TV home. Seems like if they KNOW they have a problem with the light engine, they would replace it no matter what they symptoms are.
Has anyone bought a plan from sony AFTER the TV is out of warranty? Will they do that? Thanks for any response. This forum has been VERY helpful in my contact with sony so far.

Don't know if it has been mentioned here or not, but a technician quoted the blue haze problem as a faulty "ballast." However, the rub is that Sony, in their infinite wisdom, does not make that particular part separately, or no longer does. So, an entire new light engine has to be replaced.

Has anyone had any problems with reimbursement from Sony? After reading all this half/half crap I'm beginning to think I'll get the shaft. I got the extended warranty, so far it means bubkus.

Does anyone have the same problem as mimd and doe they have it fix yet.. the problem is that the tv turn itself on and off when u watch it. Does anyone know what cause that problem.

I think that it might be the optical recall but when i talk to sony the tech guy said its not i just need to service it. Before the problem accurse blue dots and blue spot appears on the screen. So that is why i think its the optical lamp engine cause it to reset it self on and off.. I might be wrong so it any one have the same problem and have a solution or have an idea what causing it.. please let me know.

Bronze Member
Username: Polksavage

Post Number: 100
BEE
this is a warrantee issue which is fixed by your retailer. Sony recalled for this issue.

Username: Wherestheservice

Sony LCD Projection TV with blue blobs-
I have a 2 yr old Sony 55". Currently trying to get Sony to pay for new optical block. Sony sent me the link to their bulletin about Sony making defective optical blocks and paying 100% thru Sept of 2007. At first, Sony said they would pay 100%. Then they said blue blobs on the screen don't get covered. A defective part is a defective part. Who cares what the color of the image distortion is.
If you got Sony to pay 100% for blue discolorations, please send me some reference info.
I think it is unfair for Sony to discriminate by paying 100% for one tv owner and not for another when it all relates to Sony selling defective optical blocks. Its been over 2 mths and still waiting on parts availability. Should I spend any money to install what may be a 2nd defective optical block?

Post Number: 4
HELP HELP HELP HELP..... I been calling sony back and forth for two weeks about my problems. Sony can't give me any service in my area. The one sony referred me to says that they don't service unless u buy the products from them. Back and forth i go with sony. i'm out of tv for two weeks now. Anyone with any solution or advice on how to deal with it please let me know. I did ask to talk to a manager but customer service won't transfer.

Username: Jdfraz16

NASHVILLE, TN USA

I own a KDF-60XBR950 that was manufactured in July 2007. Over the last few weeks, I began to experience a choppy picture with horizontal lines running through the screen. It also causes the scrolls at the bottom of the screen to be choppy. The problem is not consistent. It sometimes appears, sometimes fixes itself on its own, sometimes is corrected after unplugging, and sometimes will not go away at all. Of course Sony was no help. Any suggestions?

Username: Gotyonacho

Man, I was all about Sony until my KDF-E50A10 hit the bricks yesterday, 8 days outside the year warranty. My problem is that the display is 90% red, and the whole screen is red when you turn it off. It started happening while you watched, then if you turned it off then on it would be normal. Eventually it just stuck red all the time. Anyone experience this?

Username: Rkresha

My thanks to those of you who have posted, it saved me from thinking I had to buy a new $3600 TV. (I have a Sony KF-60WE610 60" rear projection) I had the "roadmap" problem and because I knew what to call it, I was able to get it replaced free from my home theater dealer [Bjorns - San Antonio]. It took a couple of hours to replace and it took a week to order the part - and it was out of warranty for almost two years... It was a local store and they have earned my business the next TV I buy. I am uploading the pix of the problem and the optical engine so you can see what the guts of the TV looks like.

Here are the photos for above post - it took a while to get it small enough for acceptance.Upload
Upload

I wanted to pass along a couple of things the technician mentioned. I watched him repair it (I used to be a technician as a teenager) and as you can see from the picture in my previous post, if anything gets on the little "eye" on the top of it (actually it is the projector lens), it will cloud up the picture. It could be smoke, pollens, dust, humidity, etc. He also mentioned that the rear projection LCD's actually have a b&w picture and then it uses a "color wheel", not unlike the old film projectors to throw the colors up on the screen. If anything goes wrong with this (it is part of the optical engine and mechanical)you have a sucky picture and a sizeable bill. He conjectured that this is one of the reasons why the manufacturers are moving away from rear projection to non-mechanical system. It is just too bad that right now, rear projection is the cheapest way to get a good, large picture. But, technology marches on!

Username: Jt_demoman

I have the kdf-42we655 and have the bluish portion on the bottom of the screen. What was it that was the problem with this symptom? I called sony, they said that its not covered because its not under warranty, but this was prior to finding this site. I plan on taking it in to the service center and talking to them. Again.... what was the problem found with a bluish tint on portions on the picture?

Username: Mark100

I've seen several references to a buzzing issue when the tv's are first turned on. After a short period, the buzzing stops, and everything works fine. Seems like a lamp or ballast going bad. Can anyone confirm the cause of this issue? Thanks!!

Username: Ricklamberson

Here's my previous post about my blue screen problems: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=999438#POST999438

Mine was almost 1 year out of warranty and they agreed to pay half. I had to talk to Sony's Public Relations dept, though. Sony's customer service dept connected me.

Username: Sawyer

PLEASE HELP...THANKS FOR THIS SITE..we are experience many of the same proglems as everyone else with our 42" sony wega...the absolute most frustrating one is SONY and the fact that the tv turns on and off by itself, every 8 minutes. we don't bother watching it anymore. this has been going on for 12 weeks. with no satisfaction from sony. we purchased it l8 months ago from boscov's took out the 5 year extended warranty and they have been out 3 times to fix it. and can't. they contacted sony and said they aren't aware of this type of issue, but will replace the tv. that was 3 weeks ago, now they are saying they never said that, and they will pro rate this tv and we only have to put out a little bit of money for a new one I DON'T THINK SO! this is their issue, and the tv is only 18 months old and purchased for $2,000! what has everyone else done about this? has it been resolved? how do you deal with sony? we have always sworn by their products, not anymore. i think i will never buy another sony product again.

Username: Patrebel

I have a similar problem with blue lines in the corner. This is posted on Sony's web site. While they say it is not covered in warranty, I am trying to get them to repair my tv.

2003-2004 Model Year Grand WEGA Televisions:

Models: KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610, KF-60WE610, KDF-70XBR950, KDF-60XBR950, KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, KDF-60WF655, KDF-55XS955, KDF-60XS955, KF-42WE620, and KF-50WE620.

As technology evolves, Sony continually looks to stand behind the reliability of its televisions. It has come to our attention that a very limited number of televisions manufactured between 2003-2005, after a period of time exhibit a stationary scribble / random line pattern on the screen. Click here to see photos of this symptom.

As part of our commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that for any owner of this model television who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before May 26, 2006 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block for this specific issue, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for his/her parts and labor expenses. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions and terms on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by May 31, 2007.

In addition, for any customer who later experiences this issue on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair at no charge through September 30, 2007. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply.

Can people clarify when posting to this boards if there TV is under warrranty or not when posting about thier dealings with Sony.

Personally I have a extended 3 yr warranty which will last me about 2 more years should I experience a problem.

James Hightower, do you still have time left on your warranty? or has yours expired and Sony is not fixing it?

Has anyone with a TV under warranty , had Sony say that the warranty does not cover this problem? Where in the warranty does it say that?

we have a 5 year extdended warrenty through boscov's where we purchased the tv and that covers anything and everything for another 3 years. Sony's warranty is 1 year against defects and we were 3 months over that warrarenty. This message board proves that their are very serious problems with the sony tv's and there are other boards out there like this one with 100's of customers with the same problems. each time we call sony, we get different answers, different excuses, and a different solution. they have no customer service. What burns us is when you pay $2400 for something you expect it to last more than 18 months. we are now going back to boscov's as their warranty states they will replace it if for whatever reason it is unable to be repaired. a minor detail that the service manager never mentioned to us. they feel it's a sony issue and sony should take responsibility for it. Boscov's contacted Sony first way back in the beginning of December and they were told directly that it would be replaced with a NEW tv... here it is 10 weeks later, and still nothing...its upsetting to know that a responsible company with such high standards such as sony, won't stand behind their products.

Post Number: 5
I think sony have so many people call in about the the same problem and sony is try every excuse to get out of it. I been trying to get my tv fix and been call sony about a month already and they still cannot find a severvice in my area that is hard to believed. Yes, my tv is out of warrenty but if sony said the optical block is a manufacture defect than they should stand behind their manufacture and have it fix or replace without question ask. I get so sick of dealing with sony now so i think its just a wais to time calling customer service because those customer service don't know jack. So I'm gonna have to buy a new tv and this time screw sony brand their not getting my money and my business any more and i'm sure not my families, friends, or who ever I know becuase SONY SUCK.

To all, do not give up. I am also going to buy a new TV, however I am still going to haunt Sony. It isnt the money anymore it is the principle. If we just give up they will continue raping the consumer.

The annoying thing is that they have helped some
people but will not help others.

I have contacted the people below, if enough people do this then hopefully Sony will get its just desserts.

http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com/lcd-problems.php

Dustin Sullo, how much did you have to pay for your extended warranty? Read Ace LeNoirs post above.

I believe Sony know they are in for a lawsuit, so they will not assume responsibility for anything.

The conclusion of my Sony LCD rear projection TV Blues- I will never buy anything from Sony or Circuit City ever again. Sony changed their original offer to pay 100% of my repair down to only paying 25% of the optical block repair necessary to fix the blue blob discolorations. Sony refused to answer questions about the replacement part. So I am not going to have it repaired. Why waste my money on fixing a piece of crap TV with unknown quality replacement parts. Sony refused to answer why they pay different $ amounts for different customers (I call it discrimination). Sony is doing a poor job of managing this crisis. In the end, Sony will loose a whole lot more revenue than the small cost of the TV repair. Circuit City edits their product reviews posted on their website. They edit the negative reviews cutting out a major portion of what the consumer sent them. You can't trust the reviews you see on their website (misrepresentation). Sony and Circuit City can't spell customer service or integrity.

Username: Nerfherder3

Durham, NC

This is my first post- Inwhich I was wondering if these symtoms
occurred previously to when some of you guys had your big problems...

First off I bought a KDF-50WE655 in Feb 05 and luckily I have a 4 year additional warranty from Best Buy.

The symtoms are when I go to turn on the TV there is great hesitation for the TV to "warm-up" and after hearing the fan in the back and system make it's warming up sound in fails and I get a blink red light. I do ths about 10-sometime 20 times before it actually comes on. Strange thing is this happens only once in awhile and is very inconsistant. One thing I have noticed is that on days where the weather changes and gets more humid these are the days that I have issues with this (usually in when it turns colder or after a rainy night). Now the TV sits about 3 feet infront of a large double glass window and I had been wondering if the moisture had anything to do with this.

I do remember that when the set was first delivered in the winter. That the set had to wait while it adjusted in the ouse 3 hours before cutting it on dur to moisture that could build up from the condensation of being in the warm warehouse then in a an ice-cold truck them back into my warm house.

And again this happens every once in awhile where the unit is a challege to turn on, but finally does and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

I am having a service man come out
(eventhough I doubt I can get this issue to happen on command)

Any help would e great.

thanks

_wally

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR WALLY...Welcome to my world!! i hate to say it, but this is probably the beginning of your problems..when ours began it was just as yours is. We purchased ours in april of 05, sounds like the same batch of bad tv's. it would take a while to warm up, and the fan would be very loud...now the issues are: that it won't stay on. if you read my previous posts, you will see the issues we are now experiencing. we get about 45 minutes of non interrupted tv viewing, then forget it, it turns off and on every few minutes. then after 6 or so hours, it locks into a channel and if your lucky, it's the station you want to watch. there is no remote however and occassionally there is a green vertical line and white flashing..when the tech came out the first time, he asked what i had running in my kitchen, perhaps a microwave or something...as he heard this noise. no, turns out it was the fan. he said it was very loud. we thought that's just the nature of the tv. we too have an additional 5 year warrenty with boscov's where we purchased the tv. but are fighting with sony and boscov's. be persistant! this is a sony issue, not a store issue persay. sony has now told us they will replace our tv in 2 weeks. we've been told that 6 weeks ago!!! this has been going on since november. boscov's said if we get no satisfaction from sony, they will jump in...but sony has to resolve the issues first!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Wally, had the same problem about 6 mos. after buying the tv. Though I'm clearly not a technician, exhaustive research on my own, (bubkus from Sony customer/technical support), I found that the lamp was slowly burning out. A simple replacement bulb resolved the issue, albeit to the tune of $150 bucks--oh yeah not covered on the warranty, so they say.

Re: Terrie's post, I too feel your pain. Not to trump your particular misery, but I've been trying to get my tv repaired since last August. In fact, it's coming up on the three month anniversay of sitting idle at the repair shop waiting for mysterious backorder parts. I'm curious regarding the tv replacement, though. Did you just demand one or did they offer? I'm really interested because as of now, a replacement tv would be the ONLY way to garner some bit of satisfaction in this debacle.

to ace: the first visit resulted in a lamp change, and cleaning (november). which also resulted in no change in the turning off and on issue. so then he ordered a fan, ballist and censor. after 3 weeks of waiting, they were installed and still the same problem. only now its worse. he said it was a lamp door...ordered the door..another 3 weeks of waiting...same problem. that's when we got more involved began digging deeper in finding out what was really going on with this tv model and found this trail of broken down tv's that are now table ornaments... boscov's where we purchased the tv talked to sony, sony told them they would replace it. however, that was at the beginning of january. sony went back on their word many times, saying they would replace it with a refurbished, then a store model, then perhaps a returned model..each time we told them no way that's unacceptable. first of all, it's the same model with the same issues...finally, last week after 3 weeks of continous calling from us, they decided to replace it. but as i say, we haven't received it as of yet. they told us what model it would be replaced with and we went on a search to check it out first. and it's acceptable. so i guess you could say, YES we did demand a new one and we were not backing down with that. we told them we are aware now of issues with this tv and the time period in which it was manufactured and anything but a new one or a full refund was unacceptable. if this doesn't come through we will be going back on the service contract we purchased through boscov's as it states, if it is unrepairable per technician/manufacturer, they will replace it..our quest continues.

Username: Tabascodog

Rick Lamberson - I am having the exact same issue with my KDF60XS955, which just turned 2 years old. (bought it for he Super Bowl 2 years ago) Anyway, the service tech just left my house after diagnosing the issue. Any advice for dealing with Sony CS? So far they are being very careful about what they say they will cover. I am just waiting for the service tech to give me a full estimate for replacement of the optical block. So far all I know is that the labor is $350, but don't have a cost yet for the optical block.

Man I wanna join a class-action lawsuit against Sony so badly. This is the 3rd product I have bought from them that died within 2 years. The count so far... 2 x Sony DVD burners (dead within 2 years) and 1 x 60" HDTV. I feel like a fool for buying a TV from Sony after I had 2 DVD burners died on me. Oh well... SONY WILL NEVER GET MY BUSINESS AGAIN.

Username: Tabascodog

Also, anyone have any additional info about class-action lawsuits? This issue just kills me and I don't want to just be Sony roadkill. Spent $4300 on a TV that needs $1000 worth of repairs 2 years later... horse%&*t.

If we get enough names, I am sure we can get something from Sony. I am also facing a "minimum" repair cost of $1000. We should arrange a day and times for us all to call about our optical block problem, that according to Sony does not exist.

If anough of us call on a given day at 15 minute intervals, once a week I think it will send a message. Any body interested?

Someone should report this to a newsprogram like 60 minutes or 20/20 and force Sony's hand to just do a recall on the TV.

Username: Pelstar

MI United States

I too am having problems with my optical engine, two years old, repair cost of over $950 (have not had fixed) and Sony is not cooperating AT ALL. I have a bright blue spot in the middle of my Grand Wega kdf55wf655 and a blue blob in corner progressing up the screen. Sony said if it was road mapping it would cover it. This is the new problem that has arisen. If anyone has this problem please send to me, as I am writing to their customer relations review board and want to be armed.

Post Number: 6
Mary did you purchase an extended warranty from Sony or the place you bought it? or is your set out of warranty now?

MI United States

Dustin, I did not get the extended warranty as we relied on the Sony name, we have a lot of their products that have lasted for years and never had a problem. BIG MISTAKE, the tv is just over 2 years old and out of warranty.

To the hundreds that have now posted on this site re: the blue blob blues, Sony continues to plead ignorance as to the problem. Evidence of this is their pitiful attempts to "resolve" this issue by a myraid of so-called "fixes" when obviously the light engine/optic block is done. It's kinda like disconnecting the car battery to reboot a blown engine. It really sounds like some sort of legal smokescreen to establish a good faith effort to fix the problem. I'll say it again, to those who don't have the extended warranty you have my sincere sympathy, however, feel better knowing that with the warranty I have been without a TV since August '06--so with or without, it's the same situation: bubkus service, bubkus TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Tv_mike

Post Number: 32
All, Check out this link to the Hitachi 50V500 forum, https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/5818.html then go to Posts on Wednesday, October 18, 2006.
I had a Hitachi before I changed to the Sony KDF-E50A10. The reason I'm pointing to this is that the Hitachi has a systemic problem caused by the Light Eengine vent filter clogging resulting in over heating. The interesting part is that it looks like Sony makes the LCD parts and the TV shows a lot of the same issues that are being discussed here. This post has some really good pictures of the problem.

By the way so far I have had no problems with new Sony.

MI United States

Sony's new LOgo should be "SONY, BUY THE WARRANTY OR YOU WILL BE MOANY"

Post Number: 7
Ace - Is your extended warranty with Sony or the stor you purchased it at? I read my Sony Extended Warranty last night and it states that if they cannot fix the problem they are to replace the TV or pay for the cost of the TV. , You have gone almost 6 months without a TV and it is under warranty? I would call them back and read directly from the warranty and tell them that your next step is to hire an attorney.

Username: Whaleboy

First post... My sony Grand Vega 50" is about 2-3 years old, and have been very happy with it (2 replaced bulbs though...). about a month ago I started noticing a blue haze on the bottom right of the screen. Its now very bad... blur blobs bleeding blue halfway up the screen. I have yet to get an official estimate or talk to sony, as my extended warranty expired last year. I found this thread doing a google search to see if I can get an idea what the problem is and I'm very dissapointed to hear it is probably a very expensive fix. After reading the experiences of alot of the people here, I'm not looking forward to it. If I have to pay full cost I might as well spend a little more $ and get a new and better TV...

-David

Username: Holmesmic

VA

I have the 50" Sony Grand Wega. 2 1/2 years old. Out of warranty. I have blue haze splotches at the bottom of the screen (for the last month) and now have blue haze at the top of the screen, traveling down and getting larger every day. Today, I noticed a second blue splotch at the top of the screen developing.

Very disappointing that Sony is refusing to pay for this fix when it is repairing similar sets for just a different issue...same defective part!

And to think when we bought this set...we bought it because we had previously been happy with Sony quality products. Ugh!

This Message is specific to purchasers of Sony LCD Projection TV with blue blobs-

The following people have posted to this concern, so I address this to them and any others that have a the same issue. John Weiblen, Kevin Day, Jack Vaughn, Frank Nardomarino, Ace LeNoir, Michael Self, Hiroyuki Miyoshi, Fred Davies, Rick Lamberson, Alan Thomas,James Terry,Mary Peldo, David Stinnett and Michelle Holmes

My Name is James Hightower, I too have the same issue with my 55 inch LCD projection TV. I purchased my Sony in December of 2004, In September of 2006 I began to notice the blue tones in bottom of my TV. Like most, I have been denied warranty on this issue. Currently I am in contact with the office of Sir Howard Stringer, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Sony Corporation.

I would encourage all of those that have the "Blue Blob Issue" to send a letter to Sir Howard Stringer documenting you issue with Sony. If you do, please send it Registered, receipt required for proof of delivery. Here is the mailing address.

Sir Howard Stringer
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Sony Corporation
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Sony has addressed the Issue of "Road Mapping", but not the "Blue Blob". If any of you are interested in supporting a class action suit for this specific issue please respond to this post. I have begun discussions with a national law firm, they are willing to review the case. However this issue may not be a large enough case for the law firm to accept.

I have already replaced my Sony with another TV, I just feel that Sony should have to honor their promise to consumers of being a quality brand. They generate billions from consumers because we/consumers believe they are a better product and provide better promises. If they are not willing to stand up to their BRAND promises, then they should not be paid a premium over other brands!

The Choice is Sony's; I just want my (and anyone else's) voice to be heard

Thanks,
James Hightower

Username: Kevin_day

Las Vegas, Nevada

To all who are getting the Blue Blobs. Mine needed the optical block replaced. I used the link below to fill out a form and sent copies of my reciepts for the repair (labor, parts and pick up and delivery) and within a few weeks got a check for the full amount of almost 1500 dollars. I hope this helps all with this problem.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=KF42WE610&news_id=127

Congrats to Kevin, While Kevin may have found help with Sony, many of us have not. I am not willing to spend $1500 and request Sony refund me for the repair. Unless Sony tells me to do this and they will refund me for my charges, they should repair the TV without consumers having to float them for any time.

I also wanted to alert everyone that Sony is most likely monitoring this site,
James

Username: Whaleboy

Are the "optical block" and "Light Engine" two separate parts? Kevin says the Optical block replacement fixed his blue blobs, but others have said the Light engine needed replacing. Just wanting clarification...
I've got the KF-50WE610.

Thanks

-David

James, I hope Sony are monitoring this site, and I hope they are proud that they have screwed hard working, honest people out of their money. I agree with you, I am not spending another penny on our TV, Sony needs to stand up and resolve this, and all problems with the optical block/engine.

Re. Sir Howard Stringer. I am going to try writing to him. However, being a Sir, obviously he is British, as I am. We British have the worst customer service in the world, so I will not hold my breath.

I say it again, how they can have different policies for different people with the same problem really pisses me off. I too am buying a new TV, but Sony has to be made accountable.

James, let us know how it goes with Sir Howard

Username: Jt_demoman

Ok... haven't posted about my problem in a while, but have been watching other posts. I have the blue blotch problem. I appreciate everyone looking into what can be done to help us all with this problem. I guess I may be lucky because the tv is only showing in the lower portion of the screen. The bad thing is, from other peoples posting, apparently this problem is progressive. I have the TV in my daughters room now... she is very happy with it! It is sad though that Sony has gone down the tubes. The company has traditionally put out decent products, and has in recent years reaped the benifits in sales while apparently using inferior components. We need to continue to get the word out. I won't buy another Sony after learning what I have learned on this site. If anyone hears of someone with the blue screen getting their set repaired please post. As it is right now, if even the lamp goes out in this set I will throw it away. I refuse to put a dime into it knowing what I know about the differerent problems that can come up.

VA

I agree. I'm not willing to front $1500 for a repair on a TV that cost $2500 two years ago!! Especially when it is doubtful Sony will reimburse! How would I know the replacement part would not also be substandard? I have serious doubts at this point, especially since Sony is not even acknowledging the problem.

You just know there are MANY other people that suffer this problem. I only found this message board after googling for info on the "Blue Blobs." I'm sure many people haven't yet found this board. I hope they do soon!

I thank everyone for their efforts in trying push Sony to acknowledge the defect in their product and to take care of its customers!

Bronze Member
Username: Tv_mike

Post Number: 33
All,
In order to compile an effective argument with Sony, I recommend each person having issues post the following information on their Televisions.

Model Number:
Serial Number:
Purchase Date:
Problem: (Try to make it one sentence)

This way, anybody that is trying to work with the customer service people or even Sir Howard, can be armed with a list of similar models and the serial numbers.

It's easy for Sony to argue against one customer with an isolated issue that "other people" are also experiencing. When faced with a list of Serial numbers that they can look up, the argument has much sharper teeth.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a Pink Blob issue on a 1st generation Hitachi RPLCD set. There was an overheating issue that basically caused the Small LCD panels in the light engine to burn. In the case of the road map issue the filters overheat and start to form what looks like micro-cracks. If you want to see pictures, there is a post on the Hitachi forum from somebody that disassembled the Light engine and did a beautiful job of documenting it. Sony's name is clearly printed on the ribbon cables of the LCDs.

I have a newer Sony now (purchsed 12/05) and I believe, or hope, that they have addressed the issue in the newer generation Light Engines. At least I haven't seen anything here yet to point to a problem.

MI United States

Hi, it looks as if I recieved several emails from this forum, unfortuneately, they were emptied as bulk. Never got a chance to read. If those who sent, could please resend I would appreciate hearing from you.

Hi Mary

the e-mails are sent automatically from ecoustics, every time someone posts on this site it is automatically sent to you.

People posting don't know your e-mail address. Luckily, you don't want to mix with Sony buyers, they are generally losers :-) Only kidding.

Let us know how your letter to Sony worked.

Username: Larry

I have the model#KDF-42WE655 which has the blue corner and dots also.The tv is 2years old with no extended warranty, thinking what do i need it for, it's a Sony tv,big mistake.Called Sony about it but they won't repair it because it's out of warranty,the Sony repair guy want $800.00 to repair it, which is ridiculous.Just a total rip off and i won't repair it for this kind of money.What can someone do for Sony to listen and repair these tvs? This tv is my 2nd Sony tv and i know i will never buy Sony product again.

Username: Blueblobwega

Model: KDF-42WE655
Ser. Num: 9010253
Purchased: Nov. 2004
Mfg.: 9-2004

Blue blobs lower right
Faint blue oval center

Problem began right at the 2 year mark for me. I'll just reiterate that paying $2500 for a TV that requires a $1500 repair two years later is totally unacceptable. My last Sony 27" console cost $800 and lasted 17 years. I will appeal to Sony to acknowledge this obvious design flaw and make good on my purchase; otherwise THIS will be my last Sony and I will make sure everyone knows about it.

Upload
Upload

Username: Bnokes

I first had the roadmap issue with my 60'KDF something or another in early December. The set was purchased in May, 2005. At first, Sony stated that the set was out of warranty, but when I used the word "roadmap," the second person I spoke to knew what it was and sent someone out from Qualixserve to do a diagnosis. Upon confirming, they replaced the light engine. This process took a while. The first time I looked at the set in the dark, there was a pink blob almost in the middle of the screen. I complained again. Another diagnostic. Another optical block replacement. This time, I would up with the blue blobs similar to Blue Blob Wega's (or were they red? the whole screen was out of whack, so it's hard to tell what the color balance was.) Anyway, I tried to never lose my cool, but I finally told them they owed me a TV that worked, and that I really couldn't miss a half day of work each time they sent out a diagnostician and another half day for each repair.
They delievered a new set yesterday (another half day of work missed, but I can't complain too much now) so while I was frustrated with the process, I think Sony finally did the right thing. They needed some gentle encouragement to do it, but I am satisfied.
I would recommend purchasing an extended warranty on similar items until it is confirmed in the marketplace that the kinks have been worked out in this technology. Consider it a part of the cost of the set.

Username: Tugcapt1

Friggin Sony...My KDF-E42A10 crapped out today..I got the 3 blinking red lights of death. The manual and sony chat support said it was the "Lamp Door", - nope...I tried the unplug trick and even took the lamp assembly apart (should a good lamp read continuity on the bulb?)Any Ideas?, I bought the thing in May and luckily the extended warranty.

Aruc;

Yes, you will get continuity on a GOOD bulb. You are measuring the filament, which has a low resistance. Good luck, I sincerely hope you do not become a poor Sony sucker like me, and many others.

Username: Macguy

Sony model KDF-E50A10 purchased Oct 2005. Problem with a black mark at lower left corner of screen. It is at a slant, measures about 3 inches wide, looks like a piece of tape was applied to the screen and ripped off one end. It is slowly shrinking now.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Sony Electronics Contacts-
Does anyone have Sony executive contact information? Email or mailing addresses? I would like to send a message direct to Sony Electronics Executives.

Sir Howard Stringer
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Sonya Corporation
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Alan, Here is the contact information.

Sir Howard Stringer
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

MI United States

I am a blue blob victim. Is anyone else getting the little white spots (stars) on their screen. Ours started off with just one but in the last week 6 more have appeared. These are burned out pixels and cannot be fixed. Could the situation get worse. If these spots continue to mutiply we will just have a blue and white screen for our Sony entertainment.

Just a thought it in case anyone was considering paying the big money to have their optical block replaced.

Username: Hudsonb

Model KDF-55WF655
serial 9023606
purchased 12/12/2004
No extended warranty

Tv turns off and on every 2 minutes, has blue haze accross bottom of screen that radiates upward and 15 stuck blue pixels and counting.

Had Sony authorized repair shop (as requested by sony)come to my house at my expense. Charged $210.00. Said lamp needs replacing and will fix on and off problem. Lamp is on order. Said other issues caused by Optical Unit. Estimate to replace is $1052. Had shop send estimate to sony and I followed up with call. As most of you was told if it was not the road map problem sony would not cover it. I said this was not acceptable and was told my only recourse was to write a letter to

Sony Electronics
Attn: Executive Review Committee
12451 Gateway Blvd
Fort Meyers, FL 33913

I am also sending the letter to:

Sir Howard Stringer
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

As most of you we are totally discussed with Sonys service and interested in any other action you may be taking.

Barry Hudson

Username: Catchvijay77

Model Number:KDF-E50A10
Serial Number:8528059
Purchase Date:04/15/06
TV manafactured: March 2006
Problem: line blocks appeared in the bottom portion of the screen and appeared all over the screen.
Attached the pics of the problem

This TV is 10 months old and I have the above problem. After paying so much for a brand name TV, I didn't expect this to happen.
Since I had the protection plan, the technician looked at the problem. After doing several tests (B-Borad C- Board etc...) , the technician finally decided its a problem with the B-Block and it needs a replacement. However, he was n't sure what would have caused this problem. The technician has ordered the parts from Sony and he is coming next week to replace this part. Though he is going to replace the B-Block, i'm just worried what the gaurantee that this problem will not happen again..This pushes the buyers like us to get additional protection for many many years.

Then today I called up Sony Customer Service, they took all the details and gave the nearest Sony Authorised service centre to make an appointment (since the TV was purchased less than a year). I'm waiting for the Sony Technician to come in and take a look and see what the cause of this problem. Is it a manfacture Defect? or is it something caused by high-frequency video Signal -its unknown ..???

Thanks for all of the guys who are sharing the information on this forum.

If anybody has ever faced this problem, please post the message in the forum and we can see what can be done taking up this issue with Sony folks.

Upload
Upload

Username: Catchvijay77

Model Number:KDF-E50A10
Serial Number:8528059
Purchase Date:04/15/06
TV manafactured: March 2006
Problem: line blocks appeared in the bottom portion of the screen and appeared all over the screen.
Attached the pics of the problem

This TV is 10 months old and I have the above problem. After paying so much for a brand name TV, I didn't expect this to happen.
Since I had the protection plan, the technician looked at the problem. After doing several tests (B-Borad C- Board etc...) , the technician finally decided its a problem with the B-Block and it needs a replacement. However, he was n't sure what would have caused this problem. The technician has ordered the parts from Sony and he is coming next week to replace this part. Though he is going to replace the B-Block, i'm just worried what the gaurantee that this problem will not happen again..This pushes the buyers like us to get additional protection for many many years.

Then today I called up Sony Customer Service, they took all the details and gave the nearest Sony Authorised service centre to make an appointment (since the TV was purchased less than a year). I'm waiting for the Sony Technician to come in and take a look and see what the cause of this problem. Is it a manfacture Defect? or is it something caused by high-frequency video Signal -its unknown ..???

Thanks for all of the guys who are sharing the information on this forum.

If anybody has ever faced this problem, please post the message in the forum and we can see what can be done taking up this issue with Sony folks.

Thanks
Vijay

Username: S49mokey

Model Number:KF42WE610
Purchase Date:3/39/2004

I purchased a SONY LCD projection TV in March 2004. I had to replace the bulb once about a year ago. In the last month, I have had to severe problems with the set.

Problem 1. My wife turned of The TV set but it did not turn off. It stayed on about 10 hours. When I came home, the only way to turn it off was to disconnect the power cord. After this, I could notice a light spot in the center of the TV with or without the TV on. The screen has been damaged and the set ruined. It is still viewable but one can certainly notice where the screen was damaged.

Problem 2: The blue blob has started at the bottom of the set. I have noticed many posts about this. I first thought it was caused by problem one because it just started, but now I don't think so.

Has anyone heard of problem 1? Does contacting Sony help with any of these problems?

It's hard to beleive a set just about three years old would have these kinds of problems. I paid over $2500 for the piece of $%!*.

Username: S49mokey

I was on the Sony web site and learned the following information about the blue blob:

Posted: 05/18/2006

2003-2004 Model Year Grand WEGA Televisions:

Models: KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610, KF-60WE610, KDF-70XBR950, KDF-60XBR950, KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, KDF-60WF655, KDF-55XS955, KDF-60XS955, KF-42WE620, and KF-50WE620.

As technology evolves, Sony continually looks to stand behind the reliability of its televisions. It has come to our attention that a very limited number of televisions manufactured between 2003-2005, after a period of time exhibit a stationary scribble / random line pattern on the screen. Click here to see photos of this symptom.

As part of our commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that for any owner of this model television who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before May 26, 2006 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block for this specific issue, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for his/her parts and labor expenses. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions and terms on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by May 31, 2007.

In addition, for any customer who later experiences this issue on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair at no charge through September 30, 2007. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply.

finally...a resolution...after months upon months of no tv, and when we tried watching it, it was turning off and on every 8 minutes, sony caved and replaced it with their new model..yea..howerver, in comparisson to the technology of the old (when it was in its glory) to the new, the old is so much better! the picture on this tv is grainy and "choppy" not clear. i'm so disappointed in this tv...we thought maybe we got a bum tv, and went to the local tv store, and sure enough they too seem to be the same type of picture, grainy, blurry and choppy...so now we finally received something for our frustration, however, it's poor technology. it just doesn't seem to be the sony quality that we are used to...except after this year sony is at the bottom of our list...i'm wondering , if it could be due to older cable lines that come into our home? or perhaps we don't subscribe to digital and you must for the newer tv's as well as hdtv? does anyone know? or is this once again, just poor craftsmanship from sony? we get a much better picture on our broken tv and from our 15 year old tv's...even though we have "resolved" our issue with sony, i can't help but think we are in for a rough ride a year or 2 from now!!! my advice to all....be persistant with them...this IS their issue, and we didn't give up our fight....

Username: Rhood

Hi

Can someone tell if I have the optical block problem? Model KDF-55WF655 12/24/04 Light blue blobs at bottom of screen.Upload

MI United States

Roger, I am sorry to say that is how my blue blob optical blcok problem started.

Username: Jackmo711

This is to Robin...my sony started the same way 8 months ago and this is how it is nowUpload
I have given up on sony and am now in the process of shopping once again.

I have a Advantage protection plan that covers my Sony till 2009 . The service man that came on Saturday said he would change out the optical block at no charge. has anyone had any other problem after changing out there optical block? and should I go for it .
Thanks
RR

PS Thank you Mary & Jack for the help

Username: Jackmo711

Follow up...sony sent me an e-mail in response to one of mine and thought i should share with you.

Jack XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We understand that you are experiencing Blue Blob issues with your
television. We are happy to inform you that, this defect is covered under
Additional service coverage. Please click on the link below for the
detailed information and to proceed for repair.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=127&mdl=KDF42WE655

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your Sony Email Response Team
XXXX
David

Jack.

I assume you are as puzzled as I am that they state exactly the opposite of what everyone else with this problem has been told by Sony CS and service techs that come to "diagnose" the blue blob problem.

I've yet to see or hear from anyone that Sony actually covered this expense. Good luck.
I am writing the Review Committee for whatever that's worth.

P.S. Care to share that email adddy?

Whoops..nevermind...I think I found the addy. Thanks for the headup.

Username: Jant

Chicago, IL

Model Number: KDF-E42A10
Serial Number: 8101525
Purchase Date: 11/24/05
TV Manufactured: 10/05
Problem:
My 15 month old tv just suddenly lost its picture, still had volume for 5-10 seconds, then went to stand by with green light flashing and the fan kicked up. After 20-30 seconds in standby, the picture (perfect) would come back on for 5-10 seconds then go blank but still have sound for 5-10 seconds, then standby (green light flashing) again. This cycle continues until I turn off the tv (remote works to turn on/off set). Called Sony and they sent out repair man to install software fix that affected my tv. After tech installed software fix, the problem was still there. Tech said to set up another repair call as he only installed software fixes. Meanwhile I dug up my receipt and that's when I realized that I was 3 months over my 1 year warrenty. What really stinks is that I purchased the tv from a "custom house" who installed the set. They had been in business for years. Wouldn't you know they closed up shop since my purchase!! Now I don't even have any one other than Sony to complain too. Took the set to my local repair shop (not Sony authorized). They finally got thru to Sony and were told by the tech "we're stumped" and to take the set to any authorized Sony service center where they will have to play "switch the parts" until they determine what is wrong with it. Dropped it off at authorized center this morning. Will be atleast a week before they know anything. Meanwhile, we are watching a 15 inch no name tv. This really stinks!!!!!!!If any one knows what could be wrong with my set, any information would be appreciated!

Username: Strayhorn

Greensboro, NC United States

}Jan T

Sounds just like the problem I had with my KDF-60XS955 last year. It was the lamp, which had 7080 hours on it in 15 months. Ordered lamp from Sony and it was fixed next day.

Sorry to say that my set has had the "Blue Blob" since last Nov.}

Username: Oninunderwater

I have a 3 year old KF50WE610 with the color vertical line problem. I took a picture of the problem into the store I purchased it from, a major internet A/V dealer that has a shop in town here. The technician looked at the picture and immediate said it was a DIC Board, a $775 part. Is this a B, C, or D-board? Has anyone correlated the color vertical line problem (see picture) with the replacement of a specific part? If so, has anyone had Sony replace it for free? The technician said I should start with a call to Sony 800-222-SONY and open a case. Has anyone tried this tactic with any success?

Thanks for the input!

Upload

Well tomorrow is the day. The Circuit City tech is coming to change out the optical block on my TV. Hope it go's smoothly, will post update on service tomorrow. wish me luck.
KDF55WF655 made Nov 2004 with blue blob on screen. Upload

Hi

All looks good now,It took the tech 2hr to change out the optical block. Time will tell. I would like to thank all of you for your help and I hope you all get your problems solve too. I think Sony should make good on these defective sets as they should last many many years without problems.

Get Her Done Upload

Username: Sonyvictim

Fort myers, Florida USA

Hey Guys, i have same problems with my tv.
Meandering rivers, that look like fuzzy hair under a microscope, blue and yellow stains, and buzzing sounds.
I don't dare go near the Tv, may get some sort of weird colored electro shock or similar.
I called Sony and asked them if there were any known problems, and they told me to change the bulb.
There's an old adage that says "The devil makes pots and pans, but he does not make the covers for these" !!
No corporate responsabilty whatsoever.
I have written letters to the Ft Myers facility, let's see what happens.
We trusted the Sony name
Look what happened.

MI United States

Has anyone had any luck through writing letters. I recieved a response from New York and they offered to pay half of the repairs. I dont think fixing my tv is going to be good, as I am experiencing burned out pixels by the day. Two weeks ago we had around 5 (see pic) now we have over 25. There has to be something we could do to force their hands.

Bronze Member
Username: Ferrarifire

Post Number: 17
i woke up this morning and turned on the tv and found the picture to be cloudy and pale. i checked all the settings on the tv and they were all fine. i have both cable and sat and they both are giving me a cloudy picture i think i might of burned something inside the tube but not sure did this problem happen to anyone??

Username: Harjasalt

Hi Guys I am planning to purchase a sony sxrd full hd 1080i 60'' lcd projection tv (KS60R200A). Any suggestions? Reviews?

Post Number: 8
Harjas take a moment and read the posts on this site. I doubt you will receive 1 recommendation. Maybe try consumer reports to find a model that is reliable.

So far my 50 inch Wega has been fine with the exception of the occasional strange issue that is resolved by unplugging the TV for 10 mins. Plus I bought the 3 year extended warranty with Sony. That being said, I still think Sony should recall the problem models. Unfortunately they won't because of complaints on websites or one off calls to their customer service. This needs to be brought to the media's attention and should up on the 6:00 news. Sony needs some negative press and that might persuade them to either recall the TVs or handle the complaints with some other method of immediate satisfaction. I would alert the news media, but like I said I have not had any major issues.

Username: Harjasalt

Dustin, thanks for the feedback. I would definitely look for alternatives and revert back for more suggestions. Kindly do suggest some alternatives as I have also used used a 54'' samsung dlp rptv which I recently changed with a 40'' samsung lcd tv. But I mostly watch movies or sports with low lights in the room and found the rptv more satisfying due to the size without compensating much on picture quality. Hence, the decision to switch back to bigger screen size. By the way I was now thinking on the 70'' model.

Username: Trekrider1

Model Number: KF-50WE610
Serial Number:
Purchase Date: 01/07/06
Problem: LAMP AND FAN WILL NOT TURN OFF/REMOTE CONTROL TO ALL FEATURES [MUTE, VOLUME CONTROL ETC] WILL NOT FUNCTION. NO EXTENDED WARRANTY.

Intermittant problem when turning the TV off, leaves the lamp and fan on continuously. The only way to turn the thing off is to unplug the TV for about 5 minutes and then plug it back in. When this happens, the remote control features and the set top controls do not allow me to turn the volume up/down/mute the TV etc. It's as if the electronics are hung up and the only reset is unplugging the TV.

Anyone out there with help on this is appreciated.}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Kirk Leyton Message
Model Number:KF42WE610
Purchase Date:3/39/2004

I purchased a SONY LCD projection TV in March 2004. I had to replace the bulb once about a year ago. In the last month, I have had to severe problems with the set.

Problem 1. My wife turned of The TV set but it did not turn off. It stayed on about 10 hours. When I came home, the only way to turn it off was to disconnect the power cord. After this, I could notice a light spot in the center of the TV with or without the TV on. The screen has been damaged and the set ruined. It is still viewable but one can certainly notice where the screen was damaged._______

I am having this same problem with the lamp and fan not actually turning off on my set. See my previous post. Not sure what the cause is. Looking for answers also. So far I have caught it myself, and let the fan run for about 10 minutes, unplugged the tv so it could reset itself. Contacting Sony tech support. Will advise of response.

RE Lamp Light Blinking & Buzzing Sound On Start Up___________

bought my KF-50we610 almost a year now, and recently started to have issues turning my TV on; the green LED sequential flashing with the High pitch buzzing noise, then the red LED and no power issue has struck me; Ive had it for 2 weeks now and I wonder if this is only a problem with the lamp. Though Ive owned it for less than a year, my set was built in nov 2003 (I live in Chihuahua Mexico, so usually stores have merchandise in stock that may have been in the market for a couple of years). In reading the forum, Ive read a cuple of messages that describe my problem, relating it to the pillips lamp-by the way, the lamp LED has not come up-so it makes me wonder; unfortunately, I did not see posts on the outcomes.Im thinking on either buying the extended qarranty, which Im not sure I can, or replace the lamp and sell the TV.
Any thoughts?? _______

I have the same unit. This is the lamp. I had exact same problem. Contacted Sony CSR and of course "we have no such reports on file of this problem." However, when I requested a Sony Certified Tech be sent to my home to take a look (another 3 weeks), he came in with the lamp in hand. He specifically stated that Sony had an entire series of these TV's that went out with defective lamps! Replaced it and 20 minutes later he was gone.

Very disappointed in Sony Customer Service. They give you the standard "Never heard that problem before routine." Get past a front line CSR. Ask for a supervisor because unfortunately, 50% of contacts will just give up right away and never pursue their case any stronger. Good luck. I will not buy Sony anything again.

to angela: yes, we had the exact same problem with our tv. it too was manufacted in 2003 and about 6 months ago it began to turn off and on by itself. we only had it 18 months. then it wouldn't turn off and the only way to get it off was by cutting the power. we had a tech out 3 times and he was stumped by the problem. claimed he's never seen this happen before. he also changed the lamp twice and that did not do anything. after months of frustrating conversations with sony, they finally replaced the tv with a newer model. so far so good, but then it's only a month old. it took a lot of time, frustration, and research to get sony to accept the responsibility for their defective tv's. but in the end we prevailed and they did come through. I WOULD DEFINATELY OPT FOR THE EXTENDED WARRENTY!! these tv's, after reading all the posts on this site and others, are not reliable and are not worth the expense that consumers are paying to purchase them. in other words, they are not our granparents tv's and won't last for 25 years! (i have one of those tv's, it's 26 years old and still works!) it's an expense to purchase it, but in the end worth it when you have to make that first call...i was told by the tech that on his first visit to our house, just for the general maintenance and to change out the lamp, it would have cost us $900!!!! thankfully we put out $400 when we purchased the tv for the extended warrenty. the manufactures warrenty ran out just 2 months before we were having the problems. it's not fair that you only get 18 months on a $2500 TV, but nothing seems to last like it used to anymore! good luck!

MI United States

Post Number: 8
Does anyone that has the blue blob issue live in the Michigan area. I thought if there were enough of us, we could tell Sony that we were going to join together and call one of the tv station problem solvers, such as Ruth to the Rescue, and make the issue public. If there are any Michiganders with this problem please write to me. Thank you.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 74
This has nothing to do with your problems but it does have to do with Sony. I live 10 miles from the Sony plant in Pa. They are laying off most of the workers except for 250 that will build theBravia. The SXRD and LCD televisions are going to be made in Mexico. Bob

VA

I'm in the market for a new TV. Definitely not a Sony though after this 50" paperweight I have sitting in my living room.

OK. I've made it back to at least give everyone an update on my situation/results and to offer my best theoretical guess as to all the misinformation and Sony rhetoric.

My first approach to Sony CS was via phone and under the guise of a "friend of a friend" so as to not disclose any documented and identifiable info. One poster here remarked earlier, once her problem was assigned a case number....they pretty much locked her out of the castle...refusing later to even take her calls. In any event, my bogus round with them resulted in the standard issue "sorry bout yer bad luck...but there's nothing we can do". And I was referred to local shops for a repair.

Next, a few days later I see a post here (Feb. 27 by Jack V.) saying that he'd heard back from an e-mail he sent Sony. You can scroll back for the exact verbiage, but it basically stated he was covered via the infamous memo and to call a certified Sony shop for the repair. Although he did send me a PM after I questioned this logic and promised to follow up here with his outcome....I've heard nothing despite me sending him and others PM's. Not to slight Jack et. al. as it may well be a spam filter issue on their e-mail.

So....with the clock ticking, I finally decide to call Sony again. This time wanting to officially make a claim and demand the resolve all this buffoonery. After 20 minute with level one, the CSR transfers me to someone that will give me the "review committee's" address. I didn't offer that I already had it but thought maybe this will be level two and sure enough it was. She seemed at least a bit more concerned and heard me out. After 20 minutes with her and much ranting, to no avail ...nothing was offered except the address. Arrrrgh.

Now, back to Jack V. and the e-mail process. Shortly after reading his post but before my last phone call to Sony, I had fired off a complaint via their email form. In that inquiry I was purposely and undyingly specific about my blue blob issue and requested they tell me whether the blue blob issue was covered. I did finally receive a response and surprisingly it insinuated that it was indeed covered. Here's the exchange:

"Message : I purchased this TV from Circuit City in Nov. of 2004. Approximately 4 months ago my TV began having blue blobs/flares in the lower right corner traveling up 11 inches or so of the screen. It has come to my attention that this is a fairly common fault with this model television. I am also aware that Sony has issued an additional service coverage bulletin for the optical block repair in these sets for stationary scribble and random lines.
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=127&mdl=KDF42WE655

Is my blue blob problem covered under this memo?"

The reply:
"We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with your television and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We understand that you are experiencing picture issues in your TV and you want to know whether your issue is covered by the announcement of Sony for this model or not.

Please review the last part of the news announcements, it states that in addition, for any customer who later experiences this issue on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair at no charge through September 30, 2007. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. For more information, please call (877) 558-7669."

While this is just as vague as it is specific regarding the blue blob situation, I came to the one and only conclusion I can think of given their positive non-committal fence sitting replies. Whether it's a disparate grasp for straws thinking on my part or not...this really smells like a "don't ask don't tell" policy on Sony's part.

In other word, while their CSR's aren't at liberty to actually acknowledge a well know issue/flaw in these optical blocks.....it's appears to be a secret little wink & nudge to get the repair done, send in the form and we'll pay. My guess is they're either so inundated with reimbursement requests for these models that it will slide right through....and/or it genuinely allows Sony a way off the hook without any legally binding correspondence. It's my belief that while this batch of optical engines was botched up beyond belief, in a prudent business move, Sony is forced to put up a firewall for all the God Knows What replacements. I'm not here to defend them until they deliver ...it sucks; but that life in corporate America, Mexico, Japan, and China folks. Global economies....yeah and fuh...all at the same time.

As well as mine and Jack V.'s email in support of my "don't ask don't tell" theory, there is one post way up that documents Sony did in fact pay for blue blobs. Sure it's a gamble....but so far the odds have it they will come clean in the end. Bottom line is to decide whether to take the $1200+ hit and buy a new set or roll the dice and pray they mail you a check.

Either way, a watchable TV is most assuredly in our future and presently I'm inclined to bite the bullet on the repair. At least that option leaves the door open for recoupment.

Hey Jack! What happened to you mate?

Username: Toddtvl

What's your opinion on this issue with my Sony KDF-55WF655. I have had it 2+ years, it's used all the time. It has been an amazing TV. I made up this little website and sent it to Sony, they sent me a list of local service vendors. I spoke with one of them, who couldn't download my video but said based on your info, I think it's the lamp that has to be replaced. the XL1200 or something like that? The Sony service guy will charge me the same rate at the sony store plus $65 to install it. He also mentioned that you can't reset the lamp counter yourself. Some designer wasn't thinking there. Why have a self service part and then you can't reset it to zero?

Anyhow, please check this out and let me know. Thanks so much.

www.tvl.com/sony/untitled.html

I am technical guy, so I have done 99% of the diagnostics myself so far.

Username: Boatman_dan

i have the grand vega 55" tv also. In less then 2 yrs. i have had two lamp lights burn out, a thermal fuse replaced and now am looking at the blue blob issue. i did not buy the extended warranty because i thought sony was the best company around and felt i would not need it. i spent 3500.00 on the set and expected it to last a very long time. the first lamp was covered under warranty, the thermal fuse was not and cost me 297.00, when the lamp went out again i contacted sony, after 2 months with no tv sony agreed to pay for the new lamp repair. now 2 days later i am suffering the "blues" i contacted sony again and they agreed to replace the light engine as long as i agreed to buy a three yr warranty at a discounted price of 100.00. i know it sounds good but i also must sign a form releasing sony of any future liabilty. so in other words...my tv will be covered for an additional 3 yrs but after that im on my own. so for 3500.00 i got a sony tv that will last approx. 5 yrs and then i will be buying a new one. that doesnt seem fair to me. i at least expected to get a minimum of 10-15 yrs out of such an expensive tv. what should i do? i am considering filing a law suit. is their one on the go right now?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us