HDTV on HD ready TV????

Username: Desi_786

Post Number: 2
I have a HD ready tv and it does not have a DH tumer. Is it possible to use a Dish Network or Direct TV High Defination Receiver without subscribing to receive local high Defination Channels???

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1549
­
Yes, but there could be a problem with certain models not functioning without the satellite company's access card installed. The receiver should also say "HDTV Tuner" on its faceplate.

Username: Desi_786

Post Number: 3
There is a problem that's why I asked the question here. I borrowed my cousin's Dave HD receiver. It scanned and got all the local channels but then gave a message that the receiver must be activated inorder to get over the air HD channels.

I believe there may be older HD receivers from Dave and Dish that may not require activation. So I was hoping to see if anyone had come accross anything like this. Thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1551
­
Your question reminded me to check an old Samsung Direct TV receiver I bought used for $40 (SIR-TS160, clearly marked HDTV Tuner, no remote). I was told I would have to scrounge up a Direct access card to get it to work. I found one on eBay for $10. But since I don't have my antenna situation squared away, I haven't tried it until yesterday.

Unfortunately, the unit will not do anything because it cannot locate the satellite and will not move out of the search mode. Somebody else on this forum got their unit to work, and maybe it was because they had located a remote. So I guess I'm in the same boat as you.
­

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1142
Desi
To your post#3
What it needs a phone connection to verify Tel# with satellite service

You still not clear with what over the air HD channels
You can get local HD OTA with an HD antenna no subscription needed, no receiver needed. Just your HD TV tuner

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3415
HD ready means no HD tuner. You can buy an external tuner, look on ebay, they aren't that expensive.

Username: Friend20013

Post Number: 2
i own an olevia 532 ati,hdtv,atsc,hdmi,hd builtin,big picture, image director`s. but i was wondering what is the best way to hookup up myduel tuner dvr/hdtv capable settop cablebox made by motorola ? i livein brockville ,ontario, canada.i have y pb/cb pr/cr & hdmi hooked upto it. is that good or should i also add my s video to it ? p.s does canada have true hd yet like the states ?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1582
­
I don't know whether that cablebox upconverts all channels to its HDMI output, but if it does, that's all you need hooked up to the TV. If you can watch all channels on the TV's HDMI input, then you don't need the component (Y-Pb-Pr) or any other type of hookup.

Regarding HDTV in Canada:

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/sp_dgse-ps_dggs.nsf/en/gg00045e.html
­

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1200
As far as I know cable has few channels in 1080i as more broadcast to follow. Few Local OTA antenna in 1080i but still very few and not always on at all times.

Majority of HD by Satellites (BEV) in 720p
This may change perhaps

Like John says: You can't go wrong by connecting component (Y-Pb-Pr)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us