Help me out someone.

Username: Brechin

Post Number: 1
Ok, I have a Hitachi 50VF820 50" LCDTV. Its supposed to have HDTV capabilities. For the past month now I have been trying to figure out how to get this HDTV going. I went to my Cable provider (Time Warner Cable) and they sent me home with a new box and 2 cords one for the wall and one for the back of the tv. I plugged it in where it says "Cable Input" and I still am not getting this picture. I was told by a friend that you must set it up for 1080i in order to get HDTV signal. So now I find my self in a problem, I can't figure out how to change it to 1080i. I still don't think that is the only problem. That is all that I have done so if anyone knows of anything else that could cause a problem let me know. Guys if you could tell me how to change it to 1080i I would be much obliged as well.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1516
­
Michael, the only way you can feed true HD video into that TV is via the component hookups (the red/green/blue inputs on Inputs 3 or 4) or via one of the HDMI inputs (assuming the cable box has an HDMI output). You should check with TWC to confirm whether the cable box's HDMI output works before wasting money on a cable.

Don't worry about setting the box for 1080i. The TV must scale the video to its 720 native resolution anyway.
­

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 1030
First (Wiring)
- Coax in from the wall to RCVR is OK
- You can't use coax cable out from RCVR to TV
- Cables you can use: 5 Wire component (Red, Green, Blue + White and Red for Audio)
- Or S-VHS for Video plus (White and Red for Audio)
- Or HDMI for all analog, Digital, HD and Audio

HDMI gotten so much cheeper now (1080p Best choice)
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1082854#POST1082854

Second (HD & SD settings)
Your friend is right you must setup box for 1080, 720, 480
- Leave TV on, turn off receiver
- From switches on box (not from remote) you press Guide & Info at same time
(usually 2 upper keys)
- Follow steps to enable each Picture Format setting.
- Turn on Auto recognition
- In many cases you need Manuel for RCVR box
- Try to google it if they didn't give you one

Cable company is responsible to set it up for you.
Give them a call and have a Tech walk you through it.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 1031
Good Post John
I didn't see your post while I was editing mine

John is right if U use HDMI it will match screen size via HDMI protocol. You don't have to mess with settings if use HDMI. If for some reason won't auto recognize you can setup like I got above.

Bronze Member
Username: Say_what

Post Number: 15
I would first verify they sent you home with an HD converter. If it is a Scientific Atlanta unit, you should find something resembling "Explorer xxxxHD" top right corner on the front. Lots of different models, but if it doesn't have HD after the numbers, they sent you home with the wrong converter as well as the wrong cable. Link below is SA website if you need setup info.

http://www.sciatl.com/products/consumers/new_cableboxes.htm

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1519

quote:

I would first verify they sent you home with an HD converter.

Good point there Say What? You'd think that at this late date even the most clueless clerk would recognize Michael's needs. However, you know what they say about "assume."
­

Username: Campedo1117

Post Number: 4
I am a tw tech. first after you hook the box to the cable outlet on the wall and the power, give it a few minutes and wait till you see a clock. If you never get a clock, the problem is not the setup. But if you do get the clock, follow the procedure that k tapeman has above and you should be good. you will know when its right. If it is in sd mode the screen will more than likely be pink. Leave it there and in a minute or two it will jump to hd mode
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us