The Problem with DVR/TiVo Storage Drives

Bronze Member
Username: Viiofix

New Haven, Ct. New Haven

Post Number: 29
Mostly likely everyone is experiencing the frustration of what to do when your DVR/TiVo capacity is at Full and you want to keep the Programs you've saved. So in the beginning I did what everyone probably did which is transfer them onto DVD Disk. This was/is a pain because a normal one sided Disk will give you approx. 2hrs of recording time only at recommended speed.

Maxtor makes the QVX Expanderhttp://www.weaknees.com/maxtor-quickview-expander-qvx.php,
While another unit I've had my eye on is by Netegriti especially designed for Scientific Atlantic' 8000HD & 8300HD Series. They both support eSATA Connections which is a huge advantage. http://discountechnology.com/8300HD-eSATA-Hard-Drive-for-Scientific-Atlanta-8300 HD-DVR-400GB?sc=2&category=12

I suppose by now we all know that although having a neat compact Storage drive to collect your favorite Programs in various capacities from 200Gig Drives up to 500gig drives is the most convenient option available to us at the moment, there is one very important drawback to these current systems. They are forever solely connected to the DVR/TiVo Device you attach them to. As long as you have your DVR you can access these programs at a touch of a button but as soon as you change out your DVR and need to connect the Storage Drive to another System, all of your Saved Programs are lost.

When you consider this, it is an important decision to make because I currently have an 8300HD which was provided by my Cable Co. it was less than one year old straight out of the box and it failed for some unknown reason. Granted the Cable Co. replaced it immediately and the new one seems to be working fine for now but had I connected one of these Drives to the old unit, everything I had on it would be lost upon connecting it to the new one.

So for the purpose of this Thread, I'd like to know from whomever if anyone knows of or has figured out a way around this dilemma? Are we talking backing up the backup by also transfering your programs into your Computer's Storage Drive? And if this is the case, what is required in Digital HD Conversion if any?

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 270
If it makes you feel better I don't believe the SATA port is enabled on the 8300 series.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us