Problems connecting speakers to Bush TV

Username: Mc1

Post Number: 1
Hi, got a new Bush RF 7694D TV yesterday. Connected DVD and Sky no problem, but we can't connect the sound system. The Tv has red and white phone sockets on the side but the sound does not come through the speakers. Looked for somewhere on the menu to enable them but can't find anything. Rang the help line but he couldn't understand what I was talking about, obviously not a techie. Hope someone can help. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1472
­
Some quetions for you Mary:
Are you sure those red/white phono sockets are are outputs and not inputs?
Is there a way to turn off the TV's internal speakers?
When you tried the hook-up was the TV's audio volume turned up?
Fine help line they got there, eh?

At least you talked to a real person. Over here it's either an automated phone answering machine or someone in New Delhi.
­

Post Number: 2
Hi John,
Thank you so much for answering. You are the only one!
Basically, the old tv we had, had the audio sockets at the back of the tv. It was a sound surround tv and we used it through our stereo system. We thought that the new tv would be exactly the same, however, there are some sockets on the side of the new one and none on the back. It shows them on a picture in the instruction book but doesn't say what they are. We have been able to plug the speakers into the back of the sky digibox which works when we are watching sky but not the terrestrial channels and then only in stereo.
Can't find out how to turn the speakers off and the tv vol was down when we tried it out.
By the way, the guy I spoke to was in India somewhere, and his main piece of info was to ' turn all of the devices off, unplug them from eachother, leave them for 10 mins, plug them all back in and turn them on again!' Useful eh? It's getting that way for us with non English speaking help lines too.
Thanks again for the help.
Mary

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1473
­
It seems strange to me the owner's manual does not explain those side sockets. Is there any label beside them on the TV? Is there a yellow socket near the red/white ones? It also seems strange to me that you can't disable the TV's internal speakers. Did you use the old TV's speakers simultaneously with the stereo system, or could you turn the old TV's internal speakers off?
­

Post Number: 3
There is no label but there is a yellow socket and a headphone socket by the red and white ones. We just put the volume down on the tv and listened to it through the other speakers. We didn't turn them off anywhere.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1474
­
Mary, since yellow is a universal designation for composite video, it would seem that those side sockets are inputs, not outputs. The idea is to provide a convenience hook-up for a game console or camcorder. Your TV input switching most likely rotates between the 2 scart inputs in the back and those line inputs on the side.

If I am right about this, you only have two choices:
1) Listen to the TV's internal speakers for over-the-air broadcasts (and be happy) or
2) Use a VCR's audio line outputs to feed your external stereo.

Using a VCR in this way would mean it would have to be connected to the arial you are using for ota bradcasts.
­

Post Number: 4
Thanks John we'll try that. Thanks for your time. Happy Easter!
Mary

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1479
­
You're welcome Mary, and happy Easter to you and yours!

Username: Jtnt

Post Number: 4
We are a new subscriber to digital cable, with one HD box in the living room and are satisfied with it. But not satisfied that we are now told we need a digital converter box in each other room to get anything more than "basic cable". I've spent lots of time on this site to find out about purchasing them and found out that I had to make sure the cable company would activate them. They said they would, but that the guide may not display the right info, which is OK.

Now the question: What other stumbling blocks need I be concerned with before getting a couple on Ebay?

Thanks, jtnt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us