Archive through February 11, 2007

Bronze Member
Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 32
As you can I see I started this thread but since my current bulb is working fine for a few months now, I have not been here lately.
I am happy (sad) to see that the lamp problems have not stopped and what JVC termed as a "bad batch of bulbs" was really not a "batch" - rather ALL bulbs.
I am dreading my next bulb pop and since I am out of warranty I will be expected to pay for the bulb and then the fireworks will start - Class action and all.
Happy postings and hopefully we will all wake up and see that it was a bad dream in Hi def on our JVC TVs !!!

Username: Cooki03

Quakertown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 4
ok. Finally the repair center guy came out to my house to look at my TV... He had to take the main componant out of the tv and back to his shop... After a day he called to say he thinks the connector on the fan was bad and the bulb would just stop working because it was over heating...

My bulb is not blown, however atleast I have a spare now. The connection on the fan was bad...

he is suppose to come back out tomorrow to hook it back up.. just in time for Eagles Cowboys game on sunday...

Go birds.

Username: Raysgirl68

Post Number: 1
I have a jvc hd-ila 61z575. My lamp needs to be replaced. How do I find how many hours my lamp has?

Username: Cday

Like many of the readers here, I REALLY wish I would have found this site previous to buying my set. I do love the picture quality of the television, but having to replace the bulb not even owning it a year and not watching it very often is upsetting to say the least. Add to that, the customer service I received is at best lacking, and having to wait for a new bulb for weeks and not knowing if they have even fixed the problem is another disappointment. The customer service is ridiculous which adds to all my frustration. Anyhow, I wrote them an email and I will be true to my word if they do rectify their situation. If anyone is pursuing some Class Action suit, I'm definitley behind them. Below is my info.

Manufacture Date: May 05
Model Number: HD-61Z886
Serial Number: 10084184
Product Type: HDILA : HD-61Z886
Inquiry Type: Service Issue
Usage: 4 to 15 hours per week, depending on my schedule. Since buying it, I estimate maybe a couple hundred hours of use as it's been a busy 10 months. My friend bought the same TV and about a month later, POOF, bulb blew.

Email to JVC:
E-Mail Body: Please read this one... This will be my final email to you while I await your response to my previous inquiries. I have been reviewing several Electronic website forums which discuss the numerous problems dealing with this television's lamp and it's very disheartening to know that a nearly $3000 TV advertised for close to 10000 hours of lifetime seems to average less than 1000 hours of play. I personally do not watch that much TV, so I doubt I have logged more than a couple hours and mine has blown. I am in the US Military and I am not sure what sort of revenue and support you receive from AAFES, but I know that AAFES offers many JVC products and this is one of the more expensive ones. I will be speaking with my AAFES representatives and also posting this as another issue with customer service and quality of purchase to the various forums out there. Hopefully, I do see some action on your behalf to getting a new lamp, so it's not all negative and there will be some face saved. This may not have been such an aggravating issue had your customer service rep been a little more courteous (Pete 6064) and extended me some real assistance instead of giving me the runaround for the 3rd time. I have two friends here at my base that have bought the TV, one of them, the lamp blew within a MONTH! The other, his lamp has not blown, but it's only a matter of time apparently. I do like the TV when it's working, it's a great picture, but if I knew I'd have to replace the bulb every couple hundred hours, I CAN ASSURE YOU I would not have purchased it and I can assure you that if this is the case, I will do everything in my power to protect my fellow service members from throwing away thousands of dollars, as I'm sure they would feel the same way. Now, I understand there is a solution to this lamp model with a corrected version, and I am hoping somebody contacts me and says, Mr. Johnson (alias), we have identified there is a problem with this model lamp TS-CL110Uaa and we will be sending you the corrected product. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Post Number: 2
Like many of the readers here, I REALLY wish I would have found this site previous to buying my set. I do love the picture quality of the television, but having to replace the bulb not even owning it a year and not watching it very often is upsetting to say the least. Add to that, the customer service I received is at best lacking, and having to wait for a new bulb for weeks and not knowing if they have even fixed the problem is another disappointment. The customer service is ridiculous which adds to all my frustration. Anyhow, I wrote them an email and I will be true to my word if they do rectify their situation. If anyone is pursuing some Class Action suit, I'm definitley behind them. Below is my info.

Manufacture Date: May 05
Model Number: HD-61Z886
Serial Number: XXXX4184
Product Type: HDILA : HD-61Z886
Inquiry Type: Service Issue
Usage: 4 to 15 hours per week, depending on my schedule. Since buying it, I estimate maybe a couple hundred hours of use as it's been a busy 10 months. My friend bought the same TV and about a month later, POOF, bulb blew.

Email to JVC:
E-Mail Body: Please read this one... This will be my final email to you while I await your response to my previous inquiries. I have been reviewing several Electronic website forums which discuss the numerous problems dealing with this television's lamp and it's very disheartening to know that a nearly $3000 TV advertised for close to 10000 hours of lifetime seems to average less than 1000 hours of play. I personally do not watch that much TV, so I doubt I have logged more than a couple hours and mine has blown. I am in the US Military and I am not sure what sort of revenue and support you receive from AAFES, but I know that AAFES offers many JVC products and this is one of the more expensive ones. I will be speaking with my AAFES representatives and also posting this as another issue with customer service and quality of purchase to the various forums out there. Hopefully, I do see some action on your behalf to getting a new lamp, so it's not all negative and there will be some face saved. This may not have been such an aggravating issue had your customer service rep been a little more courteous (Pete 6064) and extended me some real assistance instead of giving me the runaround for the 3rd time. I have two friends here at my base that have bought the TV, one of them, the lamp blew within a MONTH! The other, his lamp has not blown, but it's only a matter of time apparently. I do like the TV when it's working, it's a great picture, but if I knew I'd have to replace the bulb every couple hundred hours, I CAN ASSURE YOU I would not have purchased it and I can assure you that if this is the case, I will do everything in my power to protect my fellow service members from throwing away thousands of dollars, as I'm sure they would feel the same way. Now, I understand there is a solution to this lamp model with a corrected version, and I am hoping somebody contacts me and says, Mr. Johnson (alias), we have identified there is a problem with this model lamp TS-CL110Uaa and we will be sending you the corrected product. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Bronze Member
Username: Crashnash

Post Number: 47
Chris--please post any reply you may receive from JVC. If you go back on this thread, you will see some info I posted in regards to a class action. I have not had any monetary loss let as I am still withing my "1 year new set warranty" period--so I cannot be the "lead" complaintant.

CrashNash

Username: Mike_e

Wisconsin

One more for the group.
HD-56G786 purchased 8-05, manufactured 6-05
Extremely dim screen 10-11-06, Called JVC 800# and talked to a very polite customer service agent. He listened quietly while I explained my tale of woe. 14 months of use 500-700 hours on the TV. I told him I was aware the many issues with the short bulb life, he acknowledged the problem and said he would escalate the call to a supervisor and someone would contact me within 36-48 hours.
I hang-up assuming I would have to call back in 2 days and start over. Confidence factor is very low on a free replacement bulb due to being out of warrantee for 2 1/2 months. To my surprise I get a call back in 4 hours from a very pleasant young lady! I explain my problem. She asks me to fax proof of purchase to her and verifies my address.
It's now 10-16 and I call the 800# again to find out status. The agent puts me on hold for a minute or so to check the status of my prior call. He comes back on line and informs me the a new bulb had Fed-ex ed out on 10-13 and should be arriving on 10-17.
Everything was handled very professionally by JVC, no long "hold" times and a quick call back from the supervisor.
Granted, I will have only a 90 day warrantee on this bulb but its better than having to "buy" a new one.
By the way I did find these bulbs for $150+$9.00 shipping at: http://www.discount-merchant.com/JVC-LCD-Projection-TV-Lamp-TS-CL110UAA-TS-CL110 U-p/jvc-ts-cl110uaa-new.htm&Click=98
I will repost if I have any problems with this transaction

Mike

Post Number: 6
Darn, sorry about the double post and the brand new thread off the main page of this topic. I wish I could delete it. When I posted, it looked like it wasn't taking... I'll definitley post their reply, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. The hardest thing is being overseas and trying to work with them. If I was state side, things would probably be different. Glad things worked out for you Mike. Maybe I wouldn't have been so irate if they would have been a little more empathetic, polite, and actually sent me my bulb.

Bronze Member
Username: Tvshopper

Post Number: 57
Chris,

You say you're overseas...is the electrical power system where you are consistent and reliable? If not, that could contribute to the premature bulb failure. A power backup and conditioner might be a good thing to use.

Username: Potentialjvcowner

Post Number: 7
A couple of thoughts:

The people at Best Buy tell me that they have never had a lamp failure in a JVC display model. If I take them at their word (I've never seen a set dark), while these are all new sets, they are on 10-12 hours per day. They indicate that units are on display for an average of 6 to 9 months. Just a piece of information. Is "cycles" (number of times turned on and off) perhaps as important as hours?

A UPS can definitely help to extend lamp life and is probably a good idea. You would need a UPS able to supply 225 watts, so probably at least 450VA.

I'm wondering if any of the video settings .... in particular "Iris" and "Video Status" (standard / dynamic / Theatre / Game) actually changes the lamp brightness (Iris definitely changes the image brightness). A very slight reduction in lamp brightness (5% to 10%) would typically double lamp life. The JVC manual is very non-technical about what these and many other functions actually do, internally, in engineering terms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Barry,

Cycles definitely plays a part in bulb life. The firing of the bulb is harder on it than regular use.

It is my understanding that the video settings (iris, etc.) do not use bulb brightness to adjust. Their adjustment is through the light engine itself and the bulb maintains a constant brighness.

Post Number: 7
tvshopper, the power here has been consistent since the time I arrived over here. I haven't had one outage in nearly 3 years, believe it or not. I actually don't even watch TV that much, I mostly bought it to watch movies when I get the time or play Xbox360. I've read a lot of the tips on this board and will implement them and hope that this doesn't happen again so soon. Hopefully I get a new lamp here soon! :-)

Username: Harry_shulman

San Rafael, CA

I am a consumer class action lawyer who has previously been mentioned in this string. I recently concluded a successful class action against Panasonic for problems with HID bulbs in its LCD TVs. I have heard from a couple of you that your JVC sets may have a similar problem, at least the DLA sets. I think it is worth investigating these potential claims. To do so, I need someone who to contact me who has had to pay out of pocket for a replacement bulb, and whose bulb failed before the 5-6,000 hours it was represented to last. If you would like to contact me about this, please email me at tvlampsettlement@themillsfirm.info. Thank you.

Username: Harry_shulman

San Rafael, CA

Correction: the email address to contact me is tvsettlement@themillsfirm.info. My apologies.

Username: Petezombie

Las Vegas, NV

I have a 52z575 JVC HD-Ila and it's lamp fail just short of 800-1000hrs i look up my lamp and found the had replaced the lamp with a revised lamp but if the lamp was a problem why wouldn't you contact customers and do a 1 for one swap

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1107
JVC HD52z575 purchased Sept 7 /05
Bulb just went Oct 25 / 06
Usage was 15hrs a day with one power cycle per day. I chose to leave the set on if unused for a few hours rather than cycle the power.

15 x 410 = 6150 Hrs

Bulb was sent and received in 2.5 days.

Figured I'd share a positive experience to contrast all the negative ones.

Username: Whathappend

Post Number: 5
Kano,

What does your TV registers say your hours on the bulb are/were?

If you reset the bulb timer with your new bulb then look at register D073 and D074 to get the hours on the previous bulb. Registers D070 and D071 have the hours on the current bulb.

Enter service menu press 4 then press sleep button to until you get to the H001 register group then use channel down ~20 times to get to D070.

Post Number: 8
Can you provide more information on these service and servie menu functions? Is there a document that fully describes the service modes and registers and how to access them? Also, do any of the user functions (in particular Iris and Video Status) actually change the lamp brightness?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Barry,

The lamp brightness is constant. In sets that have an iris, the iris limits the amount of light that passes through.

Username: Kobebear8

Yes I had A light Engine replaced on my JVC 61 inch hd ila tv. In the last feww weeks there has been a real noticable green tint in the top left corner and a red tint in the bittom right corner when the tv screen is black like switching channels or when you first turn of the tv is this a sign that the light engine is going out again or is it something else. If someone could help that would be great. I bought a 5 year extended warrenty from RC Willey so it should be covered either way. The light engine was covered byu jvc the first time. If it is the light engine again then they should just give me a new tv. The price of 2 light engines is almost as much as the tv it self. any help would be great.

Post Number: 9
Your issue with the tint sounds more like something is mechanically misaligned. I would not presume that it's necessarily an indication of impending lamp failure, although of course the lamp could fail.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1116
This problem has been discussed earlier in the JVC 52Z575 thread - called the green glow - apparantly the only fix is to replace the light engine. If it were a mechanical misalignment there would be more convergence issues. As is if there is a bright scene on screen the picture is perfect. Only in the darkest of scenes is the green glow noticable.

How do I know? I have the same problem, either it showed up after I replaced the bulb or it doesn't really show up once the bulb has "settled" a bit. Either way I'm not a horror film buff and it really doesn't bother me enough to get it fixed. I still have 4 years warranty left so plenty of time to get it fixed. Franky if it means a new TV I'd rather wait a bit to see what else pops up on the market. Browsing through the latest round of TVs I'm still convinced I made the right purchase - all these TVs make trade-offs and I'd rather put up with some green glow then rainbows, pin cusions and catoon like edging. The Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas were all else I was interested in and at twice the price I'm still happy with my purchase.

How new is your bulb? I've already noticed a major reduction of the glow in just 2 weeks since installing the bulb.

JVC TV USER - unfortuneatly I reset my timer accidentally a few months after purchase. When I'm home I'll give you the sum of lines D070 and D071 as that should be the total bulb lifetime.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Posting of complaints to this site seems to have slowed down. Is that MAYBE an indication that the problem is getting less severe? Or am I being too optimistic.

Username: Fredandfred

Well I can join the ranks of lamp failure. I got the unit in January and it went last night. Don't know how many hours were on the lamp since I didn't know how to get into the service area to see. Now I can't find my paperwork from Best Buy. I think I purchased the EW. I hope they have a record. What is the next step?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
DO NOT CALL BEST BUY.

If you got it in January, your set is still under the FACTORY (not Best Buy) warranty. Call JVC, they will send you a new lamp, no charge (you may, however, need a copy of the receipt).

The Best Buy extended warranty covers ONE lamp replacement, period. So that will be your NEXT lamp (note, you get one lamp even if it never fails ... so if the warranty is about to expire, call them and they will just send you the lamp as a spare. But whether it fails once, fails 5 times or never fails, you only get one lamp). Again, you may need the paperwork.

Username: Kpfiredpt

Post Number: 10
Could someone please help me, my lamp blew out and I need a copy of the service manual. Nobody has been on the other forum for about a week. And I have a new bulb on the way and I need to know how to change it. ThankYou! in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Instructions for changing the bulb are in the user manual, and will also probably come with the bulb itself. While it would be nice to have a service manual, it isn't necessary to change the bulb.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Barry! but that is the problem, I can't find my manual and having the service manual would also be helpful in fine tuning my tv. Thats why I was hoping to get a copy of the service manual.

P.s. cool first name!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks Barry, though I knew it was in the tv manual that would be the problem. I can't find my manual and it would be nice to have the service manual to fine tune my tv.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The user manual, I'm pretty sure, can be downloaded from the JVC web site.

I got a hold of Best Buy and they are sending me another lamp. May take a week or so, yuk. MISS MY TV!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
That was a huge mistake. See my post. You will only get one lamp from Best Buy (even if you have a 4-year extended warranty), and THIS lamp failure would have been covered by JVC since the set is less than one year old.

[If Best Buy doesn't demand the failed lamp back, I would STILL call JVC. But if they do require the old lamp back, you just cost yourself $200, because I'm pretty sure that JVC does require the old [failed] lamp back.]

Post Number: 3
I'll see if I can get one out of JVC next.

I got JVC to send me one also. The catch is I have to send them the old lamp first to prove it is burnt out. What morons.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Jeff,

That's good news but why do you think JVC is stupid for asking for the burned out bulb back when you are getting a free bulb under warranty? Do you know of ANY company that provides replacement parts under a warranty situation that does not require the broken part to be returned? I sure don't. If they didn't ask for the burned out bulb to be returned, what would prevent EVERY owner from contacting them during the warranty period to ask for a free bulb? Just food for thought....

Post Number: 5
The part that is hard to understand is a part has failed under warranty and in order for them to replace it I have to send the part in first. Why not at least send the replacement first and I return the bad lamp in exchange? Should I have to pay for postage to return something that they should cover?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Jeff,

That is unusual. Others have reported having to return their bulb after replacement. (In fact, you return the bulb in the package it came in and there is a return label with shipping included.) I have not heard of anyone having to send in their bulb for replacement. I don't know why you would be treated differently.

Hence the term 'morons"

Username: Radio_ron

PALM COAST, FL USA

Hi, am new here. I have the 52Z585. Bought it 15 months ago, and it probably has 1000 hours on the set. Last night while watching, it popped once, the pic. and sound went out, and the blue and red light started flashing. From someone out there, does this sound like the "lamp" has burned out?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Yes, it does.

Bronze Member
Username: Crashnash

Post Number: 50
Ron: The symptoms you describe in your 29 Nov 06, 10:13 AM posting are indicative of a lamp failure. If your set is still under warranty, recommend you contact JVC using the number posted in your owner's manual. If out of the warranty period---recommend you call JVC anyway and try to get JVC to replace the bulb--in order to live up to the company's representation at the JVC WEBSITE, i.e., the lamp should last on the average of 6,000 hours.

CrashNash

Username: Ebric

Ron,
I would recommend pulling out the manual (or pull it up on line) and take the lamp out. You should be able to see that it failed.

Then call JVC as Nash recommends.

PALM COAST, FL USA

Ok, called JVC. Very nice guy, but said lamps are only under warranty for 1 year. They figure that the set is on for 5000 hrs. for 1 year. NO WAY! I figure 1200 hrs. at most. Told him that too. Bottom line...he will give my info to his manager, and see if they can do anything. He also said they are working on a new model lamp. My thinking is why, if it lasts for 6000 hrs???
They have a nice "bedside manner", but no cure!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
They have actually been pretty good about replacing lamps, overall, but at the same time it's pretty clear that the average lamp life is not even remotely close to 1,000 hours, and that many people are seeing failures in 600 to 1,500 hours. In your case, you have 15 months on it, which is about 450 days. At 4 hours per day, average, you would be at 1,800 hours. More than your estimate, but still way below the figure on their web site.

If you have to buy a lamp, be sure to check E-Bay, you may be able to get one for less than the cost from JVC.

I got lucky. I called a local JVC service center, which is about 30 miles from home, and they had one left. Took my old lamp, proof of purchase and got a new lamp. I noticed a couple of the lamps in boxes as if they were ready to be shipped or something laying around this place. Anyway I'm back up and running, just not sure for how long.

Username: H_hatch

Purchased an HD-61Z786 on 11-19-06. Screen went dim, not black, this weekend. Tech pulled the buld and there was a burnt spot on it. Thankfully I went with a 5 year warranty this time. He stated that I would most likely see him again and if I was covered for replacement after 3 calls then I can expect to get a new tv in a couple of years. He actually keeps a spare bulb to loan to his customers until a new one arrives instead of coming to the house, determining it is the bulb, and then having them wait a week. I can see the picture again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Jeff - congratulations, you were pretty lucky with that one.

Heath - Where did you buy it? That was clearly a defect. Most extended warranties on these TVs only cover ONE bulb, then you are on your own (however, the JVC factory warranty covers failures during the first year, and you want to be sure that any replacements during the first year are coming from JVC and don't count against your extended warranty).

I'm really on the fence right now, I may buy a set this weekend at Best Buy, but I'm still scared of the lamp life issue.

I received replies back from JVC, but they were not worth posting, just basically stating that they received my messages and would send me a new bulb, which they did. I did find out in the meantime that my overseas JVC representative has guaranteed their products for life. What I neglected to ask is if that counts when I leave this place. Anyhow, I have a friend that got the "fix" bulb from AAFES and it had an actual label on it and a part number, and instead of the "AA" at the end, it was "C" on the end. Since I've never seen a model number on the burnt bulb I had and the new one JVC sent me, I honestly am not sure if the "AA" is the fix or if the "C" is the fix, but I'm taking the AAFES overseas JVC representative's word, so should this one go out and I'm sure it will, they'll give me the fix. Best of luck to you all and hope your TV's stay bright!

Bronze Member
Username: Jwj356

San Mateo, California USA

Post Number: 39
Message for Chris Stob:

About the lamp label, please check on this new designation. Does this mean it reads TS-CL110UC? The AA designation has been around for quite some time and C is news to me. Perhaps the 'improved' lamp has finally arrived.

By the way, JVC on their website has a detailed instruction set about replacing the lamp. Does not have more information than we already know but it details the procedure in Dummies fashion with photos. Go to:

http://www.jvc.com/resources/faq/00/00/00/2005_2006%20Lamp_replacement_guide.pdf

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
I wonder if that's an overseas designation. The parts lookup on JVC's website still lists AA.

http://www.jvcservice.com/Service/JPartInq.asp?PgReq=DspDta&PrtNbr=TS-CL110UAA

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
tvshopper:

It might be an overseas designation. If you do a Google search of TS-CL110C you get three hits at what looks like a Chinese website featuring service manuals. TS-CL110UC gets no hits.

John

The designation is TS-CL 110C. There's no "U"

Username: S4bb

To Barry

Way are you so convinced that Best Buy will only replace one bulb, is this from an experience you had with them. I did buy the extended warranty, and have reviewed it many times to see if they limit the number of replacements anywhere in the documentation, and can find nothing. One replacement bulb is not worth the cost of the warranty. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
First, because that is what it says, explicitly, in the terms of the PSP (performance service plan) "Plans for DLP, Projection LCD TVs and stand-alone projectors provide for one (1) bulb replacement during the term of the plan, this benefit does not apply towards the No Lemon Policy" (exact quote from the plan document). Also they tell you this when you buy it (or they are supposed to ... I was asked if I understood about lamps when buying the product. And, buy the way, I did buy a 56FN97 at Best Buy yesterday for $1,895. I took the 4-year plan for an additional $349. I hope I don't regret it.

Username: S4bb

Thanks for the reply Barry.

My PSP document reads as "Plan for DLP and Projection LCD TVs include bulb coverage"

That's it, no mention of a limit to the number of bulbs. The document I have is REV. 6/05 #89499

For your reference, it did take Best Buy 3 weeks to service my set when the bulb went out last time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
That's very interesting ... I have a list of all Best Buy service plans, about 200 of them, and that number is not on the list (my list is as of 9/2006). You may have a plan that is no longer offered (if so, I can venture a guess as to why ....). The plan that I have (I may like yours better) is 7888912 (the sku of the plan varies based on the price of the set. I paid less than $2,000 for the set, had I paid more than $2,000 or less than $1,500, the plan SKU would have changed).

I got the set today, and as of this moment I'm not entirely happy with it. It's working as it should (e.g. I don't think it's defective in any way), but I'm disappointed with the picture quality. I have not yet adjusted it, and as of this momemnt I have only standard analog cable.

Post Number: 10
Barry,
Analog normaly does look worse on a HD set than on a same sized digital ED set, and worse yet than on an anolog set. In short....go digital/HD.

If you have a player with a HDMI output try out a dvd....if you don't thats the next upgrade you need to take advantage of the set....sorry to be spending you money man ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Here is a summary of my concerns:

I just bought a JVC 56FN97 yesterday and got it home today, and at this moment I'm not entirely happy with it. Understand I have only analog NTSC cable at the moment (that will change within a week or so), but the picture quality is significantly inferior to the 50" 1997 NTSC Hitachi projection TV that this set replaces.

Can anyone suggest what I should do to improve / optimize the picture? I do have the "Digital Video Essentials" NTSC DVD as a source of test material (it has both 4:3 and 16:9 test patterns). I'd like a "step by step" procedure for "calibrating" the display, given the limitations of what I have available (and, perhaps more importantly, what I don't have ... certainly no quantitative way to measure the color temperature),or just suggestions as to what combinations of settings generally work best (for analog NTSC viewing).

Also, I have a PC running Windows XP Media Center; it's video card is an ATI 9600, with VGA, S-Video and DVI output. It works with the JVC at 1024x768 via VGA input, and presumably via S-Video (not actually tried, but I was using S-Video with the old Hitachi set). I have a DVI to HDMI cable, which originally didn't work, but I was able to get it to work in 1920x1080 mode (not sure if it was 1080p or 1080i; I suspect possibly 1080i). However, there are two problems with this:

First, overscan made it impossible to see either the upper left icon ("My Comptuer") or the task bar (kind of a critical issue)

Second, when you start Media Center, it (Media Center) changes the resolution to a value that the JVC doesn't support at all, and the entire display is lost entirely (the overscanned desktop returns on returning to the desktop from Media Center).

Does anyone have a solution to these issues?

Thanks (email responses can be sent to me at Watzman@neo.rr.com)

Also, I can't get anything even close to natural flesh tones; I go from pink to green-tinged.

I want to get an HDTV STB before I make a final decision, but I'm actually considering returning it (2nd choice would probably be a Mitsubishi)

PALM COAST, FL USA

After many calls to JVC, a gal named "Kat" called me back, and said they would give me "special pricing" for a new lamp since I only had appx. 1200 hrs. on set, which is out of warranty. I would have to send in a PO she faxed to me, with a check. Would not take MC/Visa. BTW, lamp ships out of CA. The savings was $15. I decided not to take her offer, and put in an order by phone using MC. Order will ship today. I been without tv for 1 week so far. She also said the new bulb would be a "new type". That's all she knew. That may be a bunch of you know what!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Ron,

1st off I am sorry to hear you have to pay out of pocket for this.

2nd If you read back a page or 2 a lawyer posted that anyone who does have to pay out of pocket could start a class action case with him. It would cost you no money, I have no idea how much time though.

Exceptionally disappointing to see JVC not stand behind the product.

PALM COAST, FL USA

Thanks, I hope it will not happen to you. However, given the input on this site, it's just a matter of time. As far as the legal end of this, engagement certainly may be an option.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1126
Barry - One major problem with this set is 480i even 480p looks really bad. You can mess with it all you want but if you plan on sticking with analog cable and DVDs for several years a different TV may be best.

Upscaling DVDs makes the image much better, HD cable looks amazing, and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray will not disappoint.

Definitely check out the set with HD before you make a decision.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
The cable guy is coming in the next 3 hours to swap out the digital (but not High Def) cable box for an HD DVR. So I'll have a first chance to look at it with an HD signal today; up to this point, the only signals I've seen are standard NTSC TV.

The two other things that I may do is check the optical focus (which looks very soft to me ... I can't see individual pixels, even up within inches of the screen) and play with the R,G and B drive levels (I have the service manual). But the picture looks very harsh, with far too much contrast (even with iris and picture turned way down), and "edges" look "over sharp", almost with "ringing". And the colors are not good; I go from pink fleshtones to tones that have green in them without every seeing anything "natural". I don't believe that the set is defective, but it may be out of adjustment. As of now, I'm not pleased with the set.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Barry,

Wait until you have the HD cable and also try a good upscaling DVD player or even HD DVD or BluRay, you won't be disappointed. Regular TV signals just do not have enough information for the set to run properly. Further, if you are stretching that picture beyond the 4:3 ratio that it is broadcast in you are degrading the picture even more. If you're going to be watching a ton of standard definition TV then this type of HD set (and many, many others for that matter, not just the JVC) aren't for you. I will tell you that until you're accustomed to it, HD will look sharper than anything you've ever seen. I'm used to it and expect it but anyone that hasn't seen it and comes into my house to watch TV is shocked at how sharp and bright the picture is.

One thing I noticed with my two sets is that the picture will settle down a little after 50 - 100 hours of use. I don't know if it is the bulb that dims slightly (I haven't had to change a bulb yet) or if the light engine itself needs a break-in period. Another thing that you may want to do is use one of the tuning DVDs on the market (I've used the Avia Essentials disk) to tweak the settings. This can make a huge difference in your experience. Also, what setting are you watching your TV on? There is a big difference between standard, dynamic, theater and game. I generally watch mine using standard.

Bottom line is that you have not provided the TV with a video source that matches its needs. Until you do so, you can't judge its performance fairly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
The cable guy was here and I have an HD cable box now. Some channels look great, and others (presumably not actual HD material) are still not so great. Also, I'm not totally happy with the colors, which I will look into adjusting. I did check the optical focus, and it's now set (it really wasn't off much, but it's a tad better (I can see individual pixels if I look closely)).

What I'm going to have to deal with, however, is that a lot ... most, probably ... of our viewing is channels that are anlog standard def only. Since that won't change, maybe this isn't the best set for us.

I still also have an issue in that I can't really use my MCE system (PC running XP MCE). The JVC doesn't like it's DVI out (using a DVI to HDMI cable), so that can't be used, and the JVC's VGA input will only accept 1024 x 768, which does work but doesn't take full advantage of the width of the screen.

All things considered, I'm thinking now that the Mitsubishi would have been a better choice.

Currently, there is neither a DVD player nor a VCR in the system. I'm looking at getting a JVC DR-MV7S or similar (combo DVD recorder & VHS VCR that can dub in both directions, and has HDMI output).

I hope no one minds this being "off topic" (it's about the JVC set, but not about the lamp).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Barry,

If "...a lot...most, probably..." of your viewing is going to be standard definition, why buy a high definition TV? It doesn't make sense. HD TVs are built for high definition signals, period. What you'll find if you choose to stay high definition (JVC or something else) is that your viewing habits will change. You will seek out high definition content. And, as more and more of us do that, more content will be on the market.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I have to agree on that....I get 22 hd channels plus many of the shows on channels I would want in HD (like Sci-Fi Battlestar Galactica) farm out the shows they produce in HD to other HD networks (BSG is on Universal HD as it is a NBC/Universal company).

I know some providers are extremely slow to roll out channels though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Most of the stuff that we watch isn't available in HD. It's not a choice. Of course that will change over time. But not immediately.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1127
At first I got the HD STB, and found since I work nights there was no good HD programming besides Leno and Letterman to watch. I returned that for an HD PVR and couldn't be happier. Now I record all the prime time shows, 2 at a time a lot of times, and I always have some good HD shows to watch.

Username: Pdm777

I have a 52G886...it was a floor model so I got it for a steal. My bulb blew after 3 months,(due to it being on in the store for 12 hours a day) but JVC had a new one out right away. I have 2 kids and our TV is almost always on sometime over 6 hours a day and my bulb is almost 2 years old and doing fine...not sure why everyone else had problems...I love my TV

Username: Kinga

Helena, Montana United State...

Anyone know anything about the JVC HD61Z456 61 inch HD-ILA 720p TV? Specifically the bulb life expectation, and the maintenance I should expect to do every year?
Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Ah, it must be a visitor from the planet Woot. On behalf of earthlings and JVC owners, we welcome you, wootling.

The bulb life situation is unclear. There are lots of reports of bulbs failing prematurely (call that after about 600 to 1,500 hours), but it's impossible to determine the statistical significance of the reports .... could be 1% or 71%. JVC does a good job of replacing them while they are under warranty (12 months, typically), but after that you are on your own and they cost $200 each. The only real maintanence other than cleaning the lamps would be to clean out the fans and filters. Be careful about opening up the set, it has a photocell that detects when it's opened, and it considers being opened an attempt to tamper with and circumvent HDCP. It responds by disabling the digital input ports (HDMI). PERMANENTLY, until reset by a service call (well, if you search on the web, you might discover the secret of resetting them yourself).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Barry,

You can reset the HDMI port very easily. The procedure is listed within this thread.

Username: Kinga

Helena, Montana United State...

Yes, and since you knew whence I came, you must be a vistor to "our" planet once in awhile...LOL.
So then, is the HD61Z456 61 inch HD-ILA 720p the same as the ones listed in these posts? Is it the same model, or just a different number for some other reason? I am confused on this point, and would appreciate any help at all. I expect to do cleaning, etc., but Woots description did not even tell me if it was a rear projection or not. All the technical lingo in the woot community discussion area was giving me a head ache. So, please, just keep it plain and simple for me.
kindest regards,
Kinga

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Victoria,
New years = new models for the TV's even if they make no changes (though at least software changes always happen). I have yet to see a new bulb model posted in the last 6mo. so I "believe" it is effectively the same. As has been stated many bulbs seem to die at 600-1500hrs, but JVC is not offering up numbers so we can know if we are the unlucky few or the shafted majority.

All the HD-ILA are front bulb rear projection TV's. How can that be? Have you seen the Texas Instruments DLP commercials with that little girl? The chip is full of mirrors....well HD-ILA TV's have 3 DLP(basicly) chips at the back reflecting the light from the bulb to the screen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
This thread is about the entire JVC line, which lumps perhaps as many as two dozen or more different models into one thread. I do believe that they all use the same lamp, although it's possible that there could be some differences in the circuits that drive the lamps from model to model (I'm not aware of any such differences, but there might be some). Are all of the lamp life issues from all JVC models exactly the same? No one knows for sure.

Yes, it is a rear projection set using HD-ILA (aka SXRD and LCOS) technology.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
The chips are NOT DLP chips. They are liquid crystal on silicone (LCoS). This is a totally different technology than DLP. There are no mirrors on the chips.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Christ TVshopper, did you even read her post?

She asked for an explanation in simple tearms she could understand. Referancing the DLP comercial that odds are she has seen and stating its a 3 chip similar system is understandable.

Yes they are LCoS but that means nothing to her. While they do function differently they do the same basic function (redirect the light to the front of the TV from the back) as a DLP.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
You should explain to her in detail how they function differently and why the LCoS renders a significantly better picture.

Maybe explain why they can not make Plasma TV's under 32" while you are at it. That should help her understand also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Geez joblow, take it easy! You stated that "HD-ILA TV's have 3 DLP(basicly) chips". I was just clarifying that they are not DLP chips. In the immortal words of Captain Hulka in Stripes "Lighten up, Francis."

Username: Whathappend

Barry,

On the MCE issue.
Over scan is normal (required) for any TV. JVC usually get good marks on its over scan of 5-7%.

I use MCE with a Geforce 6600. I have used its DVI with no issue but currently use its component output (don't have a HDMI switch box yet). The Geforce drivers allow me to adjust the driver to compensate windows for the TV over scan. I watch about 30% of my HiDef TV via the HTPC with its 2 ATSC tuners. I would try 720P as the computer output, since the video decoding requirements are much less. Can you run MCE in a window with out the screen going blank?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
There is no question (although I have not yet done it) that I can create a custom resolution for the Windows desktop that will allow for the overscan. However, Media Center changes the resolution (I think to 800x600, although I'm not sure), and I'm not sure that there is a way for me to deal with the overscan issue when I start Media Center (although, it's possible that the media center "desktop" was designed on the assumption that it would be displayed on a TV with overscan, and that nothing is positioned close to the edges, so the overscan won't really be a problem).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
I check the board from time to time and it seems as though the JVC bulb problems have slowed significantly. It does support their claim of a bad run of bulbs at some point in their production. Also, I've noted fewer and fewer problems with the JVC vs. other manufacturers (i.e. Mits, Sammy, Sony). It seems like JVC's worked out many of the "bugs" that initially plagued their TVs.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 57
I think most of the people on this thread have just given up hope and other peop[le are not finding their wayto this site.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Bob,

I'm gonna buy you a "JVC Sucks--This is my life mantra!" t-shirt. We ALL know you don't like them. You need not repeat yourself.

Now, what you say is incorrect. Plenty of people find this site as is evidenced by the number of postings each day. (Also, I go to a couple of other high-def forums and the same phenomena is observed there. Additionally, JVC is repeatedly listed as one of the top (consistently 1, 2 or 3) in reviews of rear projection technology.

I understand that you had a bad experience. Your displeasure is understandable. However, get over it. Move on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
TV Shopper, please give us the names of the other high-def forums where the JVC comments are made. They would be good reading for all.

Thanks,

John

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
www.highdefforum.com

www.avsforum.com

Two that I regularly visit.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 58
tvshopper,
You need a shirt that states:I will keep my JVC running even if I ave to pay ten times what it cost me."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
It's not THAT bad; the bulbs are in fact available for $160 each:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/JVC-LCD-Projection-TV-Lamp-TS-CL110UAA-TS-CL110 U-p/jvc-ts-cl110uaa-new.htm&Click=98

And the life of recent lamps does seem to have improved.

BTW, the March issue of Consumer's Reports, which I just got today, rates the JVC very highly. They have four Toshiba models as their top-rated 4 sets (only two of which are 1080p), then the JVC, and then 17 other rear-projection models rated lower. I looked at the Toshibas and chose the JVC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Bob,

I've had mine running for 15 months averaging at least 5 hours a day and I'm still on my first bulb. If it goes tonight, it wouldn't bother me. I bought this kind of TV so that when the bulb went, I would replace it and it would be back to its original splendor.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Here is a great reference article for anyone with a lamp-based TV on how to guard and extend your lamp life.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2007/02/making_your_hdt.php

Username: Jasong

I've posted several times throughout my trials and tribulations about my JVC bulbs. I've gone thru a few so I know when its about to blow.

For the past few days I've noticed a very subtle flicker that makes my picture EXTREMELY bright to bright.

Is this a sign of things to come? It's very subtle and I notice it more when I play video games but it still consists when watching regular tv.

Has anyone experienced this or has this been posted and I just missed it?

Thanks in advance.

Username: Mcghost

We purchased a JVC HD56G787AA in May of 2006 and the bulb went out today. I heard a pop and the TV went out and would not come back on. Both lights blinked simultaneously. I never got the "replace lamp message". I called JVC and the girl there instructed me to remove and inspect the lamp and to call back. We did and it was clearly blown with broken glass visible. I call back only to be told that they cannot ship the lamp without me sending back the blown lamp first. Being a Saturday afternoon, I am "stuck" until Monday. I told her that it was clearly shattered, but she said that I had to send it back to Texas. I live in Virginia.

I thought I would try and find a bulb today and have the "warranty" for a spare, but to my dismay, no-one stocks these bulbs in the area. Not Best Buy where I bought the TV and even the repair shops said that they are TOO expensive to keep on hand. All I can say is, I am glad this did not happen last weekend for the Super Bowl....the hubby is grumpy enough already without his beloved TV.

I DO NOT want to purchase a $200 lamp every year just to maintain this TV. I am tempted to print out this thread and mail it along with the shattered bulb to Texas.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
That's a new one. By all means print out this thread and mail it. Usually, in situations like this, they will at least take your credit card and charge you for the replacement bulb, and then give you a credit when they receive the blown out bulb, so that the shipping time for the return is not lost.

If you have a set like this, it most definitely pays to have a spare bulb ON HAND.

Just curious, what was your use pattern? Starting the bulb ("striking the bulb", as it's called) is hard on them, and there is some thought that it's better to only turn the set on once or twice a day than to turn it on and off every time you leave the set and return.

Also, how many hours do you have on the bulb? [Actually, it's going to be impossible to read the bulb timer until you get the new bulb, at which time you should first read it, and then reset it.]

We got our set on December 2nd, and what concerns me most is I now find out that we are using far more time than I had thought ... we are using about (over, actually) 250 hours per month. Of course, we are under warranty for the first year, and I have one additional bulb from Best Buy (I bought an extended warranty).

FYI, you can get new bulbs for $160 here:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/JVC-LCD-Projection-TV-Lamp-TS-CL110UAA-TS-CL110 U-p/jvc-ts-cl110uaa-new.htm&Click=98

I believe you can find the bulb for actually $120. Could have sworn the link was posted once before, but 160 isn't the cheapest I've seen online.

Username: Jvcbulbs220

I purchased the HD-61z886 last year and the first bulb went out in less than 6 months. They sent a replacement at no cost and it last 7 months and now went out. I had to spend over $200 to get the replacement which should arrive any day. If you are thinking of buying a JVC rear projection tv take into account that you might have to spend over $200 a year just for bulbs like I do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
John,

Read the article regarding bulb life (link in my post above). Going through bulbs that often is not the norm. As I've posted, my bulb is going strong after over 15 months of heavy use.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
TVshopper, don't say it's not the norm. From what I've seen and heard, the article you linked to was out of touch with the reality for at least some brands and models. There are LOTS of JVC lamp failures occuring at between 800 and 1,500 hours. What's not clear is if the situation has gotten better or not.

Username: Mcghost

Barry, I would say for the 9 months we averaged 5 hours per day with only one start up per day.

The link you gave me for the lamp does not include my model # (56G767), so will this lamp work on my TV? The manual list replacement part #TS-CL110U only.
The link lists that part # with AA afterwards.

Jason, do you still have that link for the $120 lamp?

I have printed out 44 pages from this thread. This will be my packing material to protect the broken light.

Sorry I don't have the link. I'll try and search around and if i find it I'll post it.

Maybe somebody else knows of an alt. site with cheaper costs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us