Help please someone

Username: Dom23

Post Number: 1
so i bought a samsung 32inch LCD about a month ago and was pleased with it until i recently got hd I have a problem with the HDMI connection when using that as a source for viewing i get ghost images when switching the channel, a preliminary investigation performed by myself included switching the HDMI cable out for a higher end cable with no luck and also switching to DVI which when viewing i dont get the images so im thinking either its the HDMI input on the tv or the Direct tv box or could it simply be a byproduct of HDMI, is it normal? has anyone seen this before does anyone have any feedback

thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1419
­
Eliot, there are numerous complaints such as yours and the culprit is almost always the satellite or cable box. It's not the HDMI cable itself that's most important, but rather the firmware on either end that makes or breaks the system. That firmware is not always executed properly. I would start with a service call from Direct TV.

You could also switch over to component cables. Yes, I know it's not digital HDMI but I'm willing to bet lunch that you'll see a better picture than you're seeing now.
­

Username: Dom23

Post Number: 2
thanks John
Yeah I did mention i tried the DVI or component cables and did not see the images I will give direct tv a call. Is the only difference with DVI and HDMI the uploading or bandwith cause switching between the two i dont see a difference. have u viewed HD on both satellite and cable i used to have cable HD before and i could have sworn the quality was better when watching sports!!!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1421
­
I have very little experience with HD satellite. There have been many discussions here and elsewhere concerning HD on cable vs. satellite. These debates are pretty much a waste as no normal person has the luxury of comparing the PQ of the two with a pair of identical displays sitting side by side.

"Yeah I did mention i tried the DVI or component cables"

You mentioned trying DVI only, not component which are not the same thing. Component is the red/green/blue RCA inputs marked Y Pb Pr. The DVI signal is a digital video signal that is compatible with HDMI. DVI supports HD video up to 1080i and the signal is the same as HDMI, although the connectors are different.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us