Digital better than analog?

Username: Alex_from_lansing

Post Number: 5
I recently got a 542i from a Olevia, a 42" HDTV with a QAM tuner. The QAM tuner picks up a ton of extra digital channels from my standard Comcast cable. However, most of these are only 480i SD, and most of the extra channels are the same channels that I already got in analog. I want to know if there is any advantage to the digital channels compared to just watching the analog channels, because if not, I just want to set them all to skip because there's so many and they just make channel surfing a hassle. If it makes any difference, I'm just using the basic speakers (2 x 20W) that came on the TV.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1407
­
Alex, the only reason to keep those extra QAM-generated channels around is if the video is noticeably better then those channels on their original numbers.

I would do a scan every 6 months or so because things can change on the cable. New (good) channels can be added without your knowledge unless you do regular scans.

What about the HD channels? Did you get any?
­

Username: Alex_from_lansing

Post Number: 6
Ok, thanks. I can't notice much of a difference for any of them, and that's why I was wondering. I guess I'll just skip all the repeats.

I got all the local HD channels I was hoping for (Fox, ABC, CBS, and NBC), plus WKAR DT and a channel that periodically switches between broadcasting VS Sports and the Golf Channel.

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 734
What do you mean you got all locals but you were hoping for Fox, ABC, CBS and NBC? I thought those were locals for any town.

If you are looking for Local I do have a great section on HD OTA antenna that is totally free
post# 614 and 716-721
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/330353.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us