Component cable connecting to lcd tv problem

Username: Viperfalcon

Post Number: 1
with component cables connected from my dvr converter to my astar ltv3201 lcd tv, whenever i shut off the tv, after a few seconds it comes back on with a gray screen (no picture). then i have to shut it off again to have it stay off. by disconnecting the blue component line from the box or the tv it works fine (it shuts off and stays off). with the blue line reconnected it will do the same (come back on after a few seconds with a gray screen) when i shut it off. basically, with the blue component line connected to the tv or the box, i have to shut off the tv twice to get it to stay off. HELP !!! (turning it on works fine).

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1393
­
Very strange there viperfalcon. Most people post problems with turning their TVs on, never with turning one off....

Two questions:
1. How in the world did you figure out the blue component was causing this?
2. Have you tried the other component input?

Post Number: 2
i took the tv to a shop and they didnt have any cables connected to it and it worked fine....so when i got it home i started disconnecting each line and shutting it off to see if i could duplicate it..when i got to the blue line thats when it started acting like it always did (coming back on 3 seconds after shutting it off). the tv only has one set of component inputs and no hdmi input.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 248
I had a hitachi projection tv that turned on by itself. the repair guy used the remote to change a setting (i don't remember what) and the problem disappeared. it may have had to do with being plugged into a "switched\ununswitched" outlet now that i think of it. it was 5 years ago.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1397
­
You know, I get frustrated when people come on this board asking questions that are clearly answered in their owners manuals. But viperfalcon, after having read your Astar 3201 manual, I can hardly blame you since this is undoubtedly one of the worst manuals I have ever seen. They show "video equipment" being hooked up to both the YPbPr and the YCbCr inputs with not a word about what the difference is. Officially, YPbPr is analog and YCbCr is digital. This is, however, not the first time inputs have been mis-labeled. I would try the YCbCr input. The worst that can happen is it won't work. You would also lose audio into the display if you were using the TV's audio line inputs on YPbPr.

Of course, I'm grasping at straws here. There is no reason the component hook-up should be causing this problem.....

(The manual also asks you to turn off progressive scan on a DVD player when using component inputs, which is ridiculous on a modern HD display.)
­

Post Number: 3
i tried that too (different inputs)and didnt get a picture. so after connecting it back up like it was originally, i still get a great pic...just this problem i originally posted. the blue wire is the definitely the culprit...dunno if a different kind of cable would work so thats why i didnt want to blow money on a new set and it not fix the problem. i've tried changing dvr boxes and a different set of the same type cables from the cable company and that too didnt make a difference.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1399
­
Since you've tried a different component wire set, I do not think we can blame the cables themselves. Since you've isolated the problem, I think it's time to take the TV back to the shop. Maybe they can figure it out.

BTW, does your dvr have either an HDMI or DVI output?

It seems these new TVs can do some strange stuff at times. I had to take back a 37" panel because it wouldn't turn on unless you unplugged the power, plugged it back in and did a complete initial setup on it. Great picture, though (Olevia 537H).
­

Post Number: 4
looks like i gotta take it back so they can dig into it and fix it. my dvr does have a dvi out put (no hdmi) but i dont get a pic when i use it so i'm stuck with using the component lines.

Post Number: 5
i'm trying to find out how to get the audio from the dvr to the tv and also to my stereo using component lines. with audio component lines already attached from the dvr box to the tv i tried to connect audio component lines from the tv audio output to the stereo, i dont get any audio. any suggestions ?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1402
­
Why not hookup the DVR's digital output---whatever it has, coax or optical---into the external audio system? If your stereo doesn't have digital audio inputs then obviously you can't do that.

I don't see why you are not getting analog stereo out from the TV. Are you feeding the R/L audio signal from the DVR into the right input on the TV? The audio should be next to and part of the same video component input the DVR's video signel is going into. If you are hearing audio from the DVR on the TV's speakers then you surely must be OK there. Make sure that there isn't a setup issue on the TV's audio. Sometimes you have to turn off the TV's internal speakers in order to activate the TV's line outputs.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us