Last Step in Home Theater Setup - Comp 2 TV

Username: Aegiskleais

Post Number: 7
I apologize if I don't give you that information you need.

I want to be able to view my computer video and hear it's audio (and control the computer) from my living room. Right now I have an HDTV (52" LCD 1920x1080) that has available HDMI and Component + Stereo Audio ports (also has a VGA in). This run goes through 1 wall and approximately 50' from PC to HDTV.

What I got
I have a 6800GT that has dual DVI out, and my Audigy 2 ZS doesn't have SPDIF, but I can get a card that does. Here are my questions (I appreciate your help here)

1. I was told that I could not do an HDMI run (even though it would carry both Video and Audio for me in 1 run) because lengths over 15' often result in artifacts in the video. Does anyone know this to be true/false?

2. I hear that there are 2 types of SPDIF, no? Coaxial and Optical. I would assume if both have same attenuation that Coaxial would be better since Optical may be more apt to break, right?

3. If I could not use HDMI for the full run, I thought about running my 6800GT in "clone" mode to duplicate the signal on the second DVI port, and run a DVI and SPDIF Coax to this item:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3570

This should (for $300 freakin bucks) convert the DVI and SPDIF to HDMI, which I can use a short run to go to the HDMI input on the TV.

4. My other concern here is control. I would need to purchase a keyboard and mouse that are wireless, but if I get Infrared I need a DIRECT line of sight for them to work. I'd prefer the "receiver" to be a hub so I could use a mouse, keyboard or even my graphics tablet. Someone told me to try FM receiver since FM can pass through walls and is non-directional, but they are few, fare between and expensive. Do you know of any other way to achieve this without eating up the bandwidth on my network?

Sorry if these are advanced, or in the wrong forum (please move if so) But I've looked everywhere and hope I'm not dropping $500 when there is a simpler, more affordable and effective method.

Thank you for reading.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us