Samsung DLP half frozen in black white = digital bd? (FYI?)

Username: Daco63

Michigan USA

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

My HLR5688W has a fault where the right side of the screen will freeze shortly after startup in a coarse black and white image. The left side remains fully active and correct. *All* other functions seem to operate normally, and although I can switch between channels or input sources, the right side remains frozen with the original b/w image unchanged.

I picked up the Service Manual from www.samsungparts.com (full schematics, block diagrams, etc...) and I plan to search for failed components. I'm looking for help on where to start -- in particular tips on which chip functions/failures could possibly cause this kind of symptom (hoping for a peripheral component failure).

First question is: Is this a problem with the DMD board or the Digital board? The split screen makes me think this is an issue with the *assembly* of the image (Digital), not the display of it (DMD), but... ???

FYI responded to a similar problem on a different kind of set that the b/w image is a tell-tale sign of "digital DMD control board" failure, not the light engine or analog board:

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=965138#POST965138

...but in my set the "Digital" and "DMD" are two separate boards (Samsung describes the DMD as part of the "Engine".)

Any suggestions where I can start to look? Do you think Digital board or DMD? Tips on suspect chip functions would be ideal, but any ideas, guidance, or suggestions are appreciated!

I will post any results of my investigation in this thread (tho I will be travelling and may be some weeks to complete).

thanks all,
(and especially to FYI for quality of previous posts!)
- Dave

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1047
I'm sure it's the digital board, and not the Digital Micro-mirror Device. (DMD) The board should come in default status, but you may want to record your SM settings just in case.

Username: Tonybmax

FYI,

I have an HLN617W I purchased in 2003. Until today the only problem I've had is the frozen b&w overexposed image. I've cleaned the dust out of the back, replaced the lamp and spoken with Samsung (they have never heard of this issue, yet there are at least three people in this thread that have mentioned it).

Today, I turned the set on and got sound while it warmed up, the screen backlit, but no picture. I turned it off, waited a few minutes and turned it back on. This time the warmup period lasted longer, then it shut off and turned back on, and the screen has hundreds of thin, vertical, red, white and blue lines. I turned it off and back on again, it when right to these stripes and in about a minute the overexposed black & white image appeared.

Help!

Michigan USA

Post Number: 7
In the service manual for my 5688, I found information on how to test some functionalities.

Specifically:
from off: "mute"->"1"->"8"->"2"->"POWER"
- then I selected menu item "DDP1011"
- then selected "Test Pattern"

The service manual describes: "This displays the built-in pattern of the DDP1011 chip. DDP1011 drives the DMD panel, so displaying this pattern means there is no error in the DDP1011 projection function and the panel itself."

In my case, the TV still displayed the same b/w half screen fault. Since both the DMD and the DDP chips are both on the same DMD PCB, I'm convinced that this is the board that needs to be replaced.

http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp?searchflag=byonemodel&searchkey=HL R5688W&modelid=351618

However, since this board is $1200, I think we will give up on this TV and get something new. If you are interested in spare parts from this set, send me a private message. Lamp has 109h.

- Dave

Michigan USA

Post Number: 8
By the way, the Service Manuals that Samsung sell are quite good. I was pleased to find that they include excellent electrical block diagrams, as well as full schematics. They also contain some trouble-shooting info as well as listings of all the default factory settings for the service menu. The disassemly instructions are a bit sparse, but that was not an issue for me.

The Service Manual is listed as a spare part at
www.samsungparts.com

- Dave

Username: Viperx26

hi guys,

I have the same problem w/ my sammy HLN5065WX/XAA. I bought it in dec. '03, its no longer on warranty. After few seconds it will turn B/W and it froze. Did try to turn it off for few hours then it will come back again. Ive seen here in the post that it may be DMD, i dont know what's that and how much it would cost. Is it worth it or might as well get a new one ? pls do help it seems tha i been looking for the post/ thread and it seems that i cant find better answer. Thanks guys i appreciate any help i can get.

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1073
I no longer recommend attempting to repair these when they're years out of warranty.

New 1080P sets are very nicely priced these days!

Username: Tavisto

I have a similar problem to Tony, My HL-R5656W displays lots of white,red,blue and purple colored horizontal lines. However I can see the color image on the screen just fine. It is just shifted over by about 1/3 of the screen and repeated. The set was working just fine and then BAM!, lines and shifted ghost images. I am not hearing any noises to indicate the color wheel is wrong, and the bulb is on so it's not that. Do you think that it's one of the boards?

I removed the back cover to make sure all the fans were operational and there wasn't a dust buildup. It all looked fine back there. I inspected any components I could see and didn't see any burnt out capacitors or anything else like that. I am hoping that it's something simple, but I kind of doubt it at this point. Any ideas would help.
Here is a link to some pics of the problem:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tavisto/TVProblems
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us